This day on December 6
Acquired: Fredrik Olausson (1993)
Departed: Geoff Smith (1993)

Happy Birthday To: Walsh86, Kurri17, RaffiTorresFan14, RaffiTime, dongretzky99, thebaron, southsideoilers

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Buyout Targets
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Buyout Targets [message #788233]
Thu, 24 June 2021 12:10 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

At the End of Year Availability, Holland said he's thinking of using buyouts. I was thinking about this today and the various possible candidates. Here's who I think those under consideration would be:

Mikko Koskinen

Current contract - 1 year remaining at $4.5MM cap hit
Buyout details - cap hit of $1.5MM in 2021-22 and 2022-23

James Neal

Current contract - 2 years remaining at $5.75MM cap hit
Buyout details - cap hit of $1.917MM in 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24 and 2024-25

Kyle Turris

Current contract - 1 year remaining at $1.65MM cap hit
Buyout details - $733K in 2021-22 and 2022-23

I considered Zack Kassian and Kris Russell here as well, but Russell's still loved by the brass and at $1.2MM it could be almost entirely buried. Kassian has three years left, so it would be insanity to buy it out now and deal with the cap hit over the next six years. I think he's a player type that's over-valued anyhow, and that likely there's someone out there who'll over-pay to get him, even with his bloated contract.

For the above contenders, I would be really disappointed to see the team buyout Kyle Turris. Not because he doesn't deserve it - he was dreadful - but because if we bury him in the minors, he only counts on the cap for ~$500K for a single year, so taking on his cap hit over two years at a greater amount would be a Gryba-buyout level of stupidity.

Neal was also pretty bad most of this year, but maybe the team can hang their hat on the hopes that he was slowed by COVID to start and there is some hope of a bounceback. I would be very hesitant to buy him out because the four year hit is a lot of dead money for a long time. Even if you just wait a year to do it, you're in a better situation than pulling the trigger now. I would be doing everything I can to rid myself of that contract though if I was in Holland's chair - offering picks or prospects to Seattle to claim him, trying to pawn him off on a team who's near the salary floor and likely to be bad anyhow, or helping him to understand that he's developing an allergy to hockey gear and "retiring" him early.

Koskinen makes the most sense to me as a buyout. It's only a single year and frees up $3MM this year (at a cost of $1.5MM next). Teams have really limited goalie spots, so I just don't think anyone is going to be willing to take him on at a $4.5MM cost, or even a $2.25MM cost if the Oilers keep half his salary (which would be preferable, but really unlikely). It saves us having to find a place to stow him next year when he shows up for camp, and it allows us to pursue getting a new netminder - even as I'm sure the firm will want to re-up with Mike Smith again. I think, unlike Turris and Neal, that he's the most likely to latch back on with another NHL team - his size is going to seduce someone in to giving him a league minimum deal - but I don't think that should really factor in to the discussion beyond a full exploration of trade options. It sucks to have yet more dead money on the cap, but given that it's relatively short and gives us more flexibility for this season, I think it's probably an essential move.

With Koskinen, I do wonder though if there's any chance of convincing him to return to the KHL. If he got a big enough deal there, maybe he'd be willing to terminate his deal Kovalchuk style. I do hope the Oilers are examining all the various ways to get rid of these contracts outside of buyouts. If the team were to lose Neal to a career ending allergy/lagging impact of COVID/seriously stubbed toe and Koskinen retreated to Europe and agreed to cancel the remainder of his contract, then all of a sudden you have an extra $10 Million in cap room to play with. That would go a long way to patching some of the holes in the roster here...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Buyout Targets [message #788235 is a reply to message #788233 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

I fully support the Koskinen buyout, although I want Holland to exhaust every trade avenue first that includes salary retention. Koskinen needs to be gone from this roster so we do not go back to last years successful formula of having Mike Smith having to have another career season while remaining healthy. We are playing with a live wire while soaking in a bathtub.

I'd explore LTIR and trade routes with Neal, but he's still a serviceable, albeit grossly overpaid, fourth liner. At 1M, he would be our Staal. One more year off the books and the buyout likely will be more palatable. especially with Sekera's hit finally disappearing.

* Turris. Just bury him.
* Kassian. Use him and embrace his salary. It's not going anywhere, but with that being said you try to add him to every deal you make.
* Russell? He's Igor Ulanov now. He's Rudy Ruettiger. He won't break the bank and you could bury him in the minors. He doesn't hold anyone back in the roster. He's a "warrior". He's a quiet leader.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 June 2021 13:34]

Re: Buyout Targets [message #788240 is a reply to message #788235 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

I'm pretty much in agreement that I think it's time to move on from Koskinen and if buyout is the only way, then get on it.

That said, I think this is somewhat dependent on who's coming in to replace him? Presumably, Mike Smith will be back, but he's one slip in the bathtub from the IR and whoever is behind him being the starter. Is that then Stuart Skinner? Stallock? A UFA target? Someone acquired via trade? I guess what I'm saying is, Koskinen seems to have fallen out of favour with the fan base over the back half of this past season, largely due to the play of Smith, but he was the #1 as recently as January and last Aug play in. He's been ok over the course of his Oilers career. Not great, not terrible, just ok. I would like to see an upgrade on Koskinen, but I guess I lack faith that whoever comes in will be that upgrade.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Buyout Targets [message #788241 is a reply to message #788240 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 13:11

I'm pretty much in agreement that I think it's time to move on from Koskinen and if buyout is the only way, then get on it.

That said, I think this is somewhat dependent on who's coming in to replace him? Presumably, Mike Smith will be back, but he's one slip in the bathtub from the IR and whoever is behind him being the starter. Is that then Stuart Skinner? Stallock? A UFA target? Someone acquired via trade? I guess what I'm saying is, Koskinen seems to have fallen out of favour with the fan base over the back half of this past season, largely due to the play of Smith, but he was the #1 as recently as January and last Aug play in. He's been ok over the course of his Oilers career. Not great, not terrible, just ok. I would like to see an upgrade on Koskinen, but I guess I lack faith that whoever comes in will be that upgrade.

Well, we know there's a bias for Holland towards players he's already had before - after all, he's already acquired a few and even tried to get Jimmy Howard last season - and it just so happens there's a former Red Wings goalie among the UFAs-to-be this summer...I would hazard a guess that Petr Mrazek is high on his wish list.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Buyout Targets [message #788243 is a reply to message #788241 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I don't think Mrazek would be a terrible choice. Although he does not have a huge upside, he is a reliable tender with a consistent track record. His low end is average, his high end is pretty darn good. Significantly better than what we have going on right now. I doubt he gets a raise and a 3.125M is roughly the cap savings of a Koskinen buyout.

In essence, you are replacing Koskinen's position with a guy who is 4 years younger and the same salary without giving up an asset.

Re: Buyout Targets [message #788242 is a reply to message #788233 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

I'm against almost any buyout. Ship koskinen to a club looking to make the floor and offer them a late round pick to do the buyout for us. Why hurt your cap in future years when there are other options.

of course, my first choice is LTIR from completely legit but unidentifiable injuries.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Buyout Targets [message #788277 is a reply to message #788242 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 13:38

of course, my first choice is LTIR from completely legit but unidentifiable injuries.

Hmm, who is this mysterious "problem solver", and could he help with other players on the team like Neal?

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Buyout Targets [message #788282 is a reply to message #788277 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 18:46

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 13:38

Hmm, who is this mysterious "problem solver", and could he help with other players on the team like Neal?

His name is Marian Hossa’s rash doctor, and he can do anything.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Buyout Targets [message #788245 is a reply to message #788233 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Buying out Turris would be so bad....

Would guess Kostko is getting a buyout and we go hard for a goalie this summer.

The Neal one is probably too painful. Hope we can somehow get him on LTIR instead.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Buyout Targets [message #788263 is a reply to message #788245 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

Neal I would package with a good prospect/pick and try and ship out. I've been saying for months we should buy out koskinen, we will not win with him on our team at that price. Turris I agree needs to be buried, a buyout seems asinine. I would also be trying to tie a prospect / pick to kassian, and trying to rid ourselves of that one too.

Formerly gagnerisgod.

Re: Buyout Targets [message #788266 is a reply to message #788263 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 14:00

Buying out Turris would be so bad....

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 15:39

Turris I agree needs to be buried, a buyout seems asinine.

I wish I could believe there is no chance the Oilers would do something that stupid...

Re: Buyout Targets [message #788267 is a reply to message #788266 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

I don't want then to buyout Turris but just seeing some people in here explode if they do, might make it worth while.

Re: Buyout Targets [message #788269 is a reply to message #788267 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 15:49

I don't want then to buyout Turris but just seeing some people in here explode if they do, might make it worth while.

You do understand why it would be stupid, right?

Re: Buyout Targets [message #788270 is a reply to message #788269 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 15:52

I fully understand and do not think it's a good idea. I even said in my original post, I don't think it would be a good idea.

This may come as a shock to you but I have a degree. I own part of a successful engineering firm. I am highly educated. I just sometimes have a differing opinion on a hockey team than you. Just because I don't repeat your exact opinion and tell you how great you are all the time doesn't mean I am a stupid person.

Re: Buyout Targets [message #788276 is a reply to message #788270 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 16:11

I fully understand and do not think it's a good idea. I even said in my original post, I don't think it would be a good idea.

This may come as a shock to you but I have a degree. I own part of a successful engineering firm. I am highly educated. I just sometimes have a differing opinion on a hockey team than you. Just because I don't repeat your exact opinion and tell you how great you are all the time doesn't mean I am a stupid person.

I am also extremely smart and successful. I have many leather-bound books and my office smells of rich mahogany.

Just ask me how important and smart I am, it is my favorite subject.

Don't worry RD, we only know you from your posts here, not your "real" life. You have proven yourself to be a stupid person, when it comes to hockey, time and time again.
Luckily, that has no bearing on your real life where you are clearly king of the hill and a very important person.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Buyout Targets [message #788355 is a reply to message #788276 ]
Mon, 28 June 2021 10:13 Go to previous message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 24 June 2021 18:11

I am also extremely smart and successful. I have many leather-bound books and my office smells of rich mahogany.

Just ask me how important and smart I am, it is my favorite subject.

Don't worry RD, we only know you from your posts here, not your "real" life. You have proven yourself to be a stupid person, when it comes to hockey, time and time again.
Luckily, that has no bearing on your real life where you are clearly king of the hill and a very important person.

Back to name calling again. Cool icon_thumbsup

Re: Buyout Targets [message #788287 is a reply to message #788270 ]
Thu, 24 June 2021 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

You can be a smart person and still say ridiculous things. This take is asinine.

Cool resume. Did not know it was a prerequisite to post here. I do appreciate you RDO. I cannot understand why you feel like you need to continually defend your opinions to everyone. It’s the same usual suspects that come here on the daily. We get it.

I’ll tell you something for free. You say you do not care when people have differing views opposed to yours, but your actions suggest otherwise. You need to chill brother. No need to come out big sausage swinging every time you feel slighted.

Go Oilers Go!

*** do not buy out Turris ***

Re: Buyout Targets [message #788310 is a reply to message #788287 ]
Fri, 25 June 2021 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

***swing that sausage***

Re: Buyout Targets [message #788327 is a reply to message #788310 ]
Sun, 27 June 2021 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 25 June 2021 18:51

***swing that sausage***

lmao I legit laughed at this. And yes. Sausage Turris!

Previous Topic:Adam Larsson - potential contract extension
Next Topic:Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca