This day on August 11
Acquired: Petr Sykora (2006)
Departed: Daniel Lacroix (1999) Dean Arsene (2010)

Happy Birthday To: Phenom89, juju+sno, oilers99dan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Minors » Oilers vs. Golden Bears - still cancelled
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers vs. Golden Bears - still cancelled [message #741497]
Wed, 14 August 2019 11:52 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Quote:

Jim Matheson
@NHLbyMatty

Oiler rookies aren't playing Golden Bears once again in Sept because owner Daryl Katz has business issue with U of Alberta. His team's loss, Bears too for their program. No Oiler rookies vs NAIT/Grant Mac kids this year after 9-1 rout last fall.

I'm still not sure why this was shelved, but chances are that the Oilers want more money out of the Golden Bears for this. It's too bad really, I always really enjoyed that event - especially as a kid in my university years. They were the only Golden Bears games I ever went to - but I think I went almost every year.

The Ooks/Griffins Select Squad was a terrible idea last year. The Oilers may as well play my beer league team. It was no challenge at all. The GBs actually won in many years against the Rookies. They have better players, many have played together before and under the same coaches too. It was at least a real game.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers vs. Golden Bears - still cancelled [message #741502 is a reply to message #741497 ]
Wed, 14 August 2019 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 14 August 2019 11:52

Quote:

Jim Matheson
@NHLbyMatty

Oiler rookies aren't playing Golden Bears once again in Sept because owner Daryl Katz has business issue with U of Alberta. His team's loss, Bears too for their program. No Oiler rookies vs NAIT/Grant Mac kids this year after 9-1 rout last fall.

I'm still not sure why this was shelved, but chances are that the Oilers want more money out of the Golden Bears for this. It's too bad really, I always really enjoyed that event - especially as a kid in my university years. They were the only Golden Bears games I ever went to - but I think I went almost every year.

The Ooks/Griffins Select Squad was a terrible idea last year. The Oilers may as well play my beer league team. It was no challenge at all. The GBs actually won in many years against the Rookies. They have better players, many have played together before and under the same coaches too. It was at least a real game.

Foolishness. This is cutting off your nose to spite your face. I would expect nothing less from the Oilers and the relentless drive to control all optics and all hockey revenue in the city.

By the way, people should start going to Bears games. The entertainment is top drawer, you're sitting close enough to hear players yell at each other and, most importantly, the home team is always good. Actually people should start supporting all the local teams that aren't Oilers owned and operated. Go watch ACAC, the AJHL, the Capital Midget League, the Bear. There is a lot of really good hockey in this city, very little of it is played at the palace losing built downtown.

This is fine.

Re: Oilers vs. Golden Bears - still cancelled [message #741505 is a reply to message #741502 ]
Wed, 14 August 2019 13:04 Go to previous message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 14 August 2019 12:31

Adam wrote on Wed, 14 August 2019 11:52

Quote:

Jim Matheson
@NHLbyMatty

Foolishness. This is cutting off your nose to spite your face. I would expect nothing less from the Oilers and the relentless drive to control all optics and all hockey revenue in the city.

By the way, people should start going to Bears games. The entertainment is top drawer, you're sitting close enough to hear players yell at each other and, most importantly, the home team is always good. Actually people should start supporting all the local teams that aren't Oilers owned and operated. Go watch ACAC, the AJHL, the Capital Midget League, the Bear. There is a lot of really good hockey in this city, very little of it is played at the palace losing built downtown.

MacEwan Griffins are joining Canada West this upcoming season. And MacEwan is next door to Rogers Place...

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Previous Topic:Russian/Olympic Doping Scandal(s)
Next Topic:Bakersfield Condors 2018-19
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca