This day on January 25
Acquired: Glenn Anderson (1996)

Happy Birthday To: Angelus, barnaclehead, sharks eat oilers, RomanianOiler, cinnamon, Oilers since 84, m_fish82, Bubble

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738894]
Mon, 17 June 2019 17:54 Go to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

https://www.tsn.ca/new-york-rangers-acquire-defenceman-jacob -trouba-1.1324288

Jets must be planning to go hard to keep Myers...Trouba is RFA this summer. Pretty good pickup for the Rangers, and not a hard price to pay there.

And to think, Chia told us these kind of defencemen aren't available...disgusting that Pionk and the 20th overall get the Rangers more than Taylor Hall got us...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738896 is a reply to message #738894 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 20:54

Chia told us these kind of defencemen aren't available...disgusting that Pionk and the 20th overall get the Rangers more than Taylor Hall got us...

More disgusting? Trouba was cheaper than Griffin Reinhart!

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738899 is a reply to message #738896 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 18:14

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 20:54

Chia told us these kind of defencemen aren't available...disgusting that Pionk and the 20th overall get the Rangers more than Taylor Hall got us...

More disgusting? Trouba was cheaper than Griffin Reinhart!

There could be a name premium here. Point is a pretty great hockey player name.

Seriously though, that's robbery.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738900 is a reply to message #738894 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

What a terrible trade for the Jets. The only upside is they get rid of the tough stance that Trouba has always had on negotiating with the Jets.

I am sure I have mentioned here that I share a set of seasons for the Jets. The one Jets fan in the group sent this out to the rest of us;
What in the holy **** is Chevy doing
I swear he just went full Chia

A while goes by and apparently said buddy hears quotes from GM

Jesus F'n Christ. He is using "threat of an offer sheet" as an excuse
Is this what every bad GM does to defend a bad trade
Isnt that how Chia defended himself?
If he uses the phrase "price you have to pay" I will assume it really is PC wearing a Chevy mask Scooby Doo style.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738904 is a reply to message #738900 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 19:04

What a terrible trade for the Jets. The only upside is they get rid of the tough stance that Trouba has always had on negotiating with the Jets.

I am sure I have mentioned here that I share a set of seasons for the Jets. The one Jets fan in the group sent this out to the rest of us;

If he uses the phrase "price you have to pay" I will assume it really is PC wearing a Chevy mask Scooby Doo style.

https://i.imgur.com/QBGtJSc.gif

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738907 is a reply to message #738904 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 19:35

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

Where did you get that!?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738908 is a reply to message #738907 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 22:01

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 19:35

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

Where did you get that!?

Del Preston on HF. Usually watermarks his stuff.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738916 is a reply to message #738900 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Saw a good point about the offer sheet angle.

At the least they get a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and possibly even 2 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

Maybe they should have just waited to see what the offer sheets were :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738901 is a reply to message #738894 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

Seems like a low return for the Jets.

They probably were in tough. If I had to guess, he was only interested in a one-year deal to take him to UFA. I believe he has been orchestrating his return to the U.S. for a while now (family reasons if what I've heard is correct).

Still, I kind of thought it would be more a Trouba-for-Ekblad type deal than Trouba-for-20 OV. I guess they are using this one as a cap savings trade, but it seems he should have had more value.

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738909 is a reply to message #738894 ]
Mon, 17 June 2019 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

3 Cups

If they wanted the huge return, they needed to make the deal last year or the one before, but they felt they were ready and needed to take a shot at the cup. Thats the price you pay.

Now, Trouba is a year from UFA, and expects to get full price on this contract. That could be upwards of $10 million per year, and I think the Jets know he's not a #1 guy.

Pionk has put up decent offensive numbers (+/- is not so good), and he's still got 4 years before UFA. You can sign him for a lower price and worry about signing Laine and Conner who will both be signing huge deals. The 20th overall pick is also a big building block considering they haven't had full draft for a few years and didn't have their 1st rounder this year.

I also expect they have a deal with Tyler Myers ready to go at a better rate than Trouba was willing to take.

It maybe looks like an iffy deal at first glance, but Winnipeg didn't have a whole lot of leverage and they got a decent return.

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738912 is a reply to message #738909 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 17 June 2019 22:13

If they wanted the huge return, they needed to make the deal last year or the one before, but they felt they were ready and needed to take a shot at the cup. Thats the price you pay.

Now, Trouba is a year from UFA, and expects to get full price on this contract. That could be upwards of $10 million per year, and I think the Jets know he's not a #1 guy.

Pionk has put up decent offensive numbers (+/- is not so good), and he's still got 4 years before UFA. You can sign him for a lower price and worry about signing Laine and Conner who will both be signing huge deals. The 20th overall pick is also a big building block considering they haven't had full draft for a few years and didn't have their 1st rounder this year.

I also expect they have a deal with Tyler Myers ready to go at a better rate than Trouba was willing to take.

It maybe looks like an iffy deal at first glance, but Winnipeg didn't have a whole lot of leverage and they got a decent return.

They got back their own pick that they gave up to get Kevin Hayes...hahaha.

They would have been better off re-signing him for a single year and going hard for the Cup in 2020 as opposed to a bargain basement price like this.

Happy to see it! I hope there's more follies like it to follow from the Jets!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738917 is a reply to message #738912 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

From my eye, it doesn't look like they got a lot for Trouba. I guess Trouba not having a contract would drop his value a bit but still. Trouba would have looked great in an Oilers uniform but he would never sign a deal in Canada so no chance of that.

I wonder what he gets in a contract. I am guessing 7.5-8 mill.

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738919 is a reply to message #738917 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

Trouba had apparently said he'd only consider a long term extension with one or two teams...Chevy was bent over here and had really no choice but to get the best return he could. Neal Pionk is 23 and fits well with the core age group and he's far cheaper that Trouba will be. Trouba is arbitration eligible so he surely files with Winnipeg and takes his one-year award and walks next summer. Chevy had to make this deal. There's no Chia level of bad here, just bad circumstances. Perhaps he could've avoided this by dealing him last summer, but they had just made the conference finals and wanted another shot at it. It really was an impossible situation.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738920 is a reply to message #738919 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 08:51

Trouba had apparently said he'd only consider a long term extension with one or two teams...Chevy was bent over here and had really no choice but to get the best return he could. Neal Pionk is 23 and fits well with the core age group and he's far cheaper that Trouba will be. Trouba is arbitration eligible so he surely files with Winnipeg and takes his one-year award and walks next summer. Chevy had to make this deal. There's no Chia level of bad here, just bad circumstances. Perhaps he could've avoided this by dealing him last summer, but they had just made the conference finals and wanted another shot at it. It really was an impossible situation.

Who were the 2 teams? Rangers and Detroit?

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738921 is a reply to message #738920 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 09:55

Not positive on the other teams, but my feeling was always NYR, FLA, TB and PHA.

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738962 is a reply to message #738921 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 08:58

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 09:55

Not positive on the other teams, but my feeling was always NYR, FLA, TB and PHA.

My gut is telling me he will be a Florida Panther next summer.

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738922 is a reply to message #738919 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

They went for it, just like Columbus did. Didn't work though in either case. The moral here is never go for it and always trade players away for futures. MacT was a visionary.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738942 is a reply to message #738919 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ultimately, this was not a sign-and-trade, so the Rangers are taking the risk that he won't sign an extension with them too. Having a year of a 50-point defenceman is a valuable thing. Having a third pairing guy like Pionk and a 20th overall pick? Less valuable. Jets fans better hope they make the most of that pick.

Now, here's hoping that Myers walks in free agency and we start to see the decline of the Jets.

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738923 is a reply to message #738917 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

Ya seems like not enough for a #2 Dman who is RH...& those are hard to find.

Sounds like the Jets are seeing what type of return may be possible for Ehlers as well. I would definately see what it would take to get him outta there. I think he would be the type of addition we could use in our top 6 IMO. He is signed for 4-5 more years as well, so you have some cost certainty with him.

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738926 is a reply to message #738923 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I read on twitter that according to Trouba a big reason he didn't want to sign a long term deal in Winnipeg is his future wife is going to be a doctor so it was real important for her future career.

Ummm……. there are doctors in Canada too. So if she wanted to be a doctor, I am sure she could have gotten a residency and been a doctor in Canada too. My cousins wife went to law school in New York. He lives in Calgary. After law school was done, she was able to find a law firm to article with and practice law with her American law degree in Calgary pretty easily. So I am sure if his wife wanted too, she could be a doctor in Canada. So that really isn't a legit reason. I wish they would just be honest. He's an American, his preference is to live in the US. No one will be upset by just coming out and saying you want to live in your home country.

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738928 is a reply to message #738926 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 09:12

I read on twitter that according to Trouba a big reason he didn't want to sign a long term deal in Winnipeg is his future wife is going to be a doctor so it was real important for her future career.

Ummm……. there are doctors in Canada too. So if she wanted to be a doctor, I am sure she could have gotten a residency and been a doctor in Canada too. My cousins wife went to law school in New York. He lives in Calgary. After law school was done, she was able to find a law firm to article with and practice law with her American law degree in Calgary pretty easily. So I am sure if his wife wanted too, she could be a doctor in Canada. So that really isn't a legit reason. I wish they would just be honest. He's an American, his preference is to live in the US. No one will be upset by just coming out and saying you want to live in your home country.

Schools and research opportunities as well as pay are much better in the USA. And her career will outlast his. And he is almost UFA and can pick his spot anyways. Happy wife happy life is how the saying goes too isn't it? icon_nod

No doubt him just wanting to be back in trumplandia is a big part too

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738945 is a reply to message #738928 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I don't think the Jets got enough right now but the Pionk had 26 pts in 73 games in his first full season in the NHL. Not bad.

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738949 is a reply to message #738945 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 12:54

I don't think the Jets got enough right now but the Pionk had 26 pts in 73 games in his first full season in the NHL. Not bad.

He turns 24 this summer, so he's not likely to have a huge growth curve to his development. What you see is likely what you get.

He also played on a bad Rangers team. It means he was further up the depth chart than he might ideally be playing. He's not going to get the same opportunities in Winnipeg, especially if they re-sign Myers.

I have a hard time seeing Pionk as anything much better than Matt Benning. Likely to get Matt Benning money too.

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738958 is a reply to message #738928 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 09:27

Why not? It's a great time to be a millionaire if you're in the U.S. under the reign of the orange fuhrer.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738982 is a reply to message #738928 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 08:27

As someone who had ancestors in a hamlet out by Barrhead called "Neerlandia" I resent this made up word.

mexican

Trouba totally Prongered the Jets. Except Pronger was under contract longer term, was a way better player, and led his Canadian small market team to the finals before letting an entitled American wife dictate where he would be playing hockey.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738963 is a reply to message #738926 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 09:12

This is what I had heard too. It's why any notion of the Oilers trading for him was always out of the question in my mind. This has been going on in the background for several years, from what I understand.

She has every right to pick where she wants to go to school and practice medicine. While I believe the health care system in Canada is better, I do think there is more opportunity/pay for doctors in the States.

Trouba and his family have been patient. They played by the CBA rules. They will get paid wherever he goes and he has earned the right to choose that destination.

For what it is worth, they bought real estate in Fort Lauderdale in 2017. University of Miami has a great medical school. Take that however you will.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 June 2019 15:16]

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738964 is a reply to message #738894 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

The more I reflect on this, the more it just seems like a cap dump.

They got back the 20OV pick they traded for a few weeks of Kevin Hayes. Quite literally, the return was the rental cost of a lesser player.

For a competitive perspective, it would almost make more sense to let him go to arbitration, sign a one-year deal, and view him as a "long-term" rental and take one more run with him before he leaves. View it as an extension of the Kevin Hayes trade.

Problem is money and Winnipeg has guys to sign with little cap. This is long-term cap management (wouldn't be shocked to see Myers signed for longer now), but it is just so weird to see a cap dump of such a valuable player. Was there no other way (i.e. Brian Little)? You would think they would want to maximize that asset, and it just doesn't seem that way.

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738966 is a reply to message #738964 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

https://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/penguins-were-not-a lone-in-making-a-superior-offer-for-trouba-than-the-rangers- more-buzz/

This article is under a stupid paywall. I don't know how to post the screen shot i saw...sorry.

Apparently there were multiple teams who had better offers on the table but Trouba's agent told Chevy he would not sign a contract with any other team besides NYR. Said he'd demand a trade and holdout until December if he had to. Jets had literally one option to trade Trouba, and they got what they got.

As for Myers, it remains to be seen, but I don't think he'll be back. He's going to be too expensive and hasn't played above the 3rd pair when the team is healthy in at least three years.

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #738969 is a reply to message #738966 ]
Tue, 18 June 2019 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Tue, 18 June 2019 15:38

https://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/penguins-were-not-a lone-in-making-a-superior-offer-for-trouba-than-the-rangers- more-buzz/

This article is under a stupid paywall. I don't know how to post the screen shot i saw...sorry.

Apparently there were multiple teams who had better offers on the table but Trouba's agent told Chevy he would not sign a contract with any other team besides NYR. Said he'd demand a trade and holdout until December if he had to. Jets had literally one option to trade Trouba, and they got what they got.

As for Myers, it remains to be seen, but I don't think he'll be back. He's going to be too expensive and hasn't played above the 3rd pair when the team is healthy in at least three years.

I always find it disappointing when a player who decides he wants to be elsewhere, puts up roadblocks hamstringing the teams ability to move them or get decent value back. The Jets invested a ton of time and money to help him become the player he is. It's bad enough he wants out but to limit where he can be traded too is just another kick in the nuts.

It's no different in my books than when a player wants some sort of NMC is his contract to protect himself but then when things don't go his way, demands a trade but dictates where he can go which often hamstringing the team. If you decide you want out, then you as a player should help facilitate a move rather than put up roadblocks then complain if it doesn't happen.

Re: Trouba to Rangers for Pionk & 20th OV pick [message #739320 is a reply to message #738969 ]
Mon, 24 June 2019 07:58 Go to previous message
Perkele  is currently offline Perkele

No Cups

I don't understand why anyone would think less of Trouba for this. I get that Jets fans will be disappointed as he is a hell of a good defenseman and they are likely worse off next year as a result of this trade but Trouba just did what he is entitled to do according to the CBA. He didn't hold out of a contract, he just said that he was willing to sit and not get paid rather than signing on to play for the Jets. He made his family (wife) a priority over his job and didn't tell the Jets that they could only trade him to the Rangers just let everyone know that he would not sign a long term deal with anyone but them (supposedly). Players are finally getting some control over their careers and they are using it to their benefit. Isn't that the entire point of the CBA?

#teamBath(i)robe

Previous Topic:Perry bought out
Next Topic:2018-19 NHL Game Day Thread...
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca