This day on August 14
Acquired: Kevin Brown (1998)
Departed: Michel Picard (2000)

Happy Birthday To: Trueblue26, Belleu

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3)Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785324 is a reply to message #785323 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 12:12

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 12:06

Jack is back to CHED, while we get Singh and DeBrusk for this series.

Harnarayan Singh and Louie DeBrusk will be in the broadcast booth for the Edmonton Oilers and Winnipeg Jets series, beginning on Wednesday. Gene Principe (Edmonton) and Scott Oake (Winnipeg) will share the hosting duties for that series.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/jim-hughson-not-calling-play off-games-hockey-night-in-canada

Pretty much knew Singh would be the guy. He's not my favorite but there are worse guys out there.

I like him better when we're not playing Calgary. I sometimes get the sense he's yet another Flames' fan.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785326 is a reply to message #785324 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 12:13

Harnarayan Singh and Louie DeBrusk will be in the broadcast booth for the Edmonton Oilers and Winnipeg Jets series, beginning on Wednesday. Gene Principe (Edmonton) and Scott Oake (Winnipeg) will share the hosting duties for that series.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/jim-hughson-not-calling-play off-games-hockey-night-in-canada

Pretty much knew Singh would be the guy. He's not my favorite but there are worse guys out there.

I like him better when we're not playing Calgary. I sometimes get the sense he's yet another Flames' fan.

He was born in Brooks and according to Wikipedia, he hosts a weekly online segment for the Flames.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harnarayan_Singh

[Updated on: Mon, 17 May 2021 12:20]

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785330 is a reply to message #785326 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 12:17

He was born in Brooks and according to Wikipedia, he hosts a weekly online segment for the Flames.

Yeah, he does stuff for FlamesTV.

Not surprised given he and Louie would do the National broadcasts. He’s pretty good, though I have really enjoyed Jack doing our games.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785332 is a reply to message #785330 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 12:21

Not surprised given he and Louie would do the National broadcasts. He’s pretty good, though I have really enjoyed Jack doing our games.

I really enjoyed Jack as well. I think him doing radio was a big time advantage, he's used to having to bring the energy for listeners who can't see the game so I thought it really ramped up the energy watching the game. Singh has gotten better as the year has gone on. It was like watching paint dry those first few games. Maybe it was the fact he was calling an Oilers game as a Flames fan coming through because to start, I thought he was awful.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785339 is a reply to message #785330 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 11:21

Minority opinion but was not a fan of Jack at all. Just felt very American. Don’t like the rasp. Don’t like being yelled at that there is a minute left in the game.

I really miss Kevin Quinn.

Clean house or bust

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785344 is a reply to message #785339 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

1 Cup

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 12:57

Minority opinion but was not a fan of Jack at all. Just felt very American. Don’t like the rasp. Don’t like being yelled at that there is a minute left in the game.

Ditto here - his (Jack's) terminology is all wrong/fake and he's way too loud all the time - the super loud bits are just ridiculous. Have really missed Rod Phillips ever since Jack replaced him.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785346 is a reply to message #785339 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Respect on the Michaels take just a bit over the top sometimes that could stay on radio, but Quinn....dont miss him a bit.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785352 is a reply to message #785346 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 13:23

Respect on the Michaels take just a bit over the top sometimes that could stay on radio, but Quinn....dont miss him a bit.

I feel the same about Quinn. I don't miss him what so ever.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785354 is a reply to message #785339 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 11:57

Yeah Quinn was good..
IMO Boom-goes-the-dynamite Singh is brutal (figures he's a Flames fixture), Jack is a bit of overload.. probably good for local market, maybe not national.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785366 is a reply to message #785322 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Ugh it’s like SN execs were sitting around a table asking “hmmm how do we suck the life out of this series? Singh”

He’s a TERRIBLE pbp guy who makes even the most intense matchups completely boring (HNIC games vs CGY as an example). He shouldn’t even be calling regular season games let alone HNIC and playoff. Is this seriously the best SN has to offer? Even strip club/rodeo announcer Jack Michael’s is more palatable because he adds energy to the game but my god if I have to hear “skittering the puck in” or other stupid things like that. I really do miss Kevin Quinn...he was way more polished and nuanced than these hacks and wasn’t too monotone or overbearing and didn’t detract from the game.

Honestly if Hughson/Simpson is their A team what did you bring Cuthberth back for? There’s only 2 Canadian series so why not use him and Louie?

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785367 is a reply to message #785366 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

The only two explanations I can think of is Singh ha proven he's better and he earned the spot or he's cheaper to use in the playoffs.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785368 is a reply to message #785366 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 15:55

Ugh it’s like SN execs were sitting around a table asking “hmmm how do we suck the life out of this series? Singh”

He’s a TERRIBLE pbp guy who makes even the most intense matchups completely boring (HNIC games vs CGY as an example). He shouldn’t even be calling regular season games let alone HNIC and playoff. Is this seriously the best SN has to offer? Even strip club/rodeo announcer Jack Michael’s is more palatable because he adds energy to the game but my god if I have to hear “skittering the puck in” or other stupid things like that. I really do miss Kevin Quinn...he was way more polished and nuanced than these hacks and wasn’t too monotone or overbearing and didn’t detract from the game.

Honestly if Hughson/Simpson is their A team what did you bring Cuthberth back for? There’s only 2 Canadian series so why not use him and Louie?

What was supposed to happen is Hughson and Simpson be the east guys while Cuthbert and I assume Debrusk/someone else be the west guys nationally. But with Covid, Hughson decided he wouldn't leave Vancouver.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785369 is a reply to message #785368 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 16:03

What was supposed to happen is Hughson and Simpson be the east guys while Cuthbert and I assume Debrusk/someone else be the west guys nationally. But with Covid, Hughson decided he wouldn't leave Vancouver.

This explanation also makes sense

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785375 is a reply to message #785369 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 16:05

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785378 is a reply to message #785375 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 16:19

Ya, we only heard Hughson a handful of times this year because he was hiding in Vancouver and only doing National games from Rogers Arena.

If you wanted to avoid flying, just get a car. The cities in the west aren't close, but if your only doing 2 games a week, just figure it out.

Must be nice to have a job where you can get paid for 6 nights of work all year.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785383 is a reply to message #785375 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 16:19

I had to click the link you posted to realize it was the same link I posted that has been quoted haha.

I’m sure if the Canucks were in it, Hughson would have made the trek.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785387 is a reply to message #785383 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

I would honestly rather take CGY’s guy Rick Ball is waaaay better than Singh

It’s kinda hard watching the American series and not feel like we’re getting robbed a little bit in terms of fans attending games. Even a small smattering of fans makes a big difference energy wise not just in the building but noticeable on TV as well. And it’s not just states like Florida that were ahead of the curve re: reopening but even Dem run states like Massachusetts and NY are allowing fans in limited capacity

Can’t help but feel we’re getting the short end of the stick here...Oilers finally back in the playoffs yet zero fans in the stands, no patios...just doesn’t feel the same. It’s sad that it’s not even a conversation here to have a few hundred ppl in the building. Like 500-1000 vaccinated front line workers isn’t feasible? There’s been limited numbers of fans in football stadiums since late fall. Wake up Canada doh

[Updated on: Mon, 17 May 2021 20:27]

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785390 is a reply to message #785387 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 19:13

It’s kinda hard watching the American series and not feel like we’re getting robbed a little bit in terms of fans attending games. Even a small smattering of fans makes a big difference energy wise not just in the building but noticeable on TV as well. And it’s not just states like Florida that were ahead of the curve re: reopening but even Dem run states like Massachusetts and NY are allowing fans in limited capacity

Can’t help but feel we’re getting the short end of the stick here...Oilers finally back in the playoffs yet zero fans in the stands, no patios...just doesn’t feel the same. It’s sad that it’s not even a conversation here to have a few hundred ppl in the building. Like 500-1000 vaccinated front line workers isn’t feasible? There’s been limited numbers of fans in football stadiums since late fall. Wake up Canada doh

If they limited tickets sales to just vaxxed purchasers, they could fill it to at least 50% capacity, no risk.

Penguins going to 50% capacity in tomorrow's game.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785391 is a reply to message #785390 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 21:19

If they limited tickets sales to just vaxxed purchasers, they could fill it to at least 50% capacity, no risk.

Except you have to over 65 or have a special circumstance to be fully vaccinated in Canada. They stopped giving second shots months ago. I've got one and they told me I should get my second before the end of September.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785395 is a reply to message #785391 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 22:21

Except you have to over 65 or have a special circumstance to be fully vaccinated in Canada. They stopped giving second shots months ago. I've got one and they told me I should get my second before the end of September.

When I got my first shot (recently), I was told by the pharmacist that they have pretty huge supplies coming in and she didn't think it'll actually be 16 weeks before the next shot...take it for what it's worth.

I'm not sure the first thing I'll do when it's all over is go to a hockey game though...too long being careful, that seems a tough first step back to normal...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785396 is a reply to message #785395 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 23:20

When I got my first shot (recently), I was told by the pharmacist that they have pretty huge supplies coming in and she didn't think it'll actually be 16 weeks before the next shot...

I'd guess mid-late July things start opening up for 2nd shots. Should be hitting that saturation point of takers for the 1st shot some time in June if the supplies come in as promised.

Maybe all changes if they blow things wide open for young kids to get the mRNA vaccines.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785399 is a reply to message #785391 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

I got the peasant vaccine Apr 20 and was told 12 weeks. So July.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785400 is a reply to message #785391 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 21:21

Even a 65+ crowd is better than crickets! Get that Willie Nelson dude in there!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785401 is a reply to message #785387 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 20:13

Oh man, now you are making it hard. Rick Ball is pretty awful, then you factor in when he has Cassie as color. There was a couple of Oilers Flames games I almost turned it off, I just couldn't handle those 2. I basically muted it.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785489 is a reply to message #785401 ]
Wed, 19 May 2021 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I did mute it. watching in silence is far easier on the ears than those two.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785371 is a reply to message #785366 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 14:55

Yeah you're RIGHT! Cuthbert.. WHERE IS HE? Probably BEST guy of the bunch! holy crap!
Instead the worse guy, and a rookie, Singh gets the premier sports broadcasting job in Canada. There's hundreds of guys been working for years to just get a glimpse of a chance doing HNIC.. and this guy comes out of nowhere and is suddenly anointed a permanent PlayxPlay "fixture"??

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785402 is a reply to message #785366 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 18:55

He’s a TERRIBLE pbp guy who makes even the most intense matchups completely boring (HNIC games vs CGY as an example)

Yeah man - I don't understand the love this guy is getting here. He is absolutely brutal. Completely sucks the life out of the game. Let's hope we make it to round 2 and that'll be that.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785363 is a reply to message #785248 ]
Mon, 17 May 2021 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oilers in 6 I guess...

Hard to get into this still with 2 huge North division games left to play.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785404 is a reply to message #785363 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

It's being reported that Dubios is no on the ice for the Jets last practice before heading to Edmonton. Ehlers and Copp in non contact jerseys.

Oilers need to take advantage of what looks to be an undermanned Jets team.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785405 is a reply to message #785404 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 18 May 2021 10:17

It's being reported that Dubios is no on the ice for the Jets last practice before heading to Edmonton. Ehlers and Copp in non contact jerseys.

Like every hockey game the Oilers play, important to get up early in the series. I'm pretty confident if the Oilers go up 2-0 in the series.

The only way the Jets have a chance in my opinion is if the get off to early leads and can shut the door afterward. I just don't think the Jets have the horses on the back end to do it.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785407 is a reply to message #785405 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 18 May 2021 11:21

Like every hockey game the Oilers play, important to get up early in the series. I'm pretty confident if the Oilers go up 2-0 in the series.

The only way the Jets have a chance in my opinion is if the get off to early leads and can shut the door afterward. I just don't think the Jets have the horses on the back end to do it.

I agree, their defense is pretty weak and I know the Jets GM is very patient but they needed to do more on defense. I see Morrissey and Pionk as the only legit top 4 guys they have.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785408 is a reply to message #785407 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 18 May 2021 14:27

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 18 May 2021 11:21

I agree, their defense is pretty weak and I know the Jets GM is very patient but they needed to do more on defense. I see Morrissey and Pionk as the only legit top 4 guys they have.

Funny what a difference a couple of years makes. A couple of years ago their d corps was the envy of the NHL.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785406 is a reply to message #785404 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Lines from practice today.

Kahun - McD - JP
Nuge - Leon - Yamo
Neal - McLeod - Kassian
Arch - Khaira - Chiasson

Nurse - Barrie
Kulikov - Larsson
Koekkoek - Bear

I am assuming that if those are the lines in the last practice before game day, I assume that's who starts. If I was making lines, those would be what I would put together to start. Maybe I think about Jones but he has been so up and down and the only thing he brings over Koekkoek in my opinion is better passing and until day comes that a dmans only job is to pass the puck, Jones needs to improve in a lot of other areas.

Apparently Maurice said both Dubios and Ehlers are making the trip and will be game time decisions. I think he is blowing smoke up the Oilers ass. If you aren't practicing at all the day before the first game, I find it doubtful you are playing. If you are in a non-contact jersey, you don't go from that to being in the game the next day. Maybe I am wrong.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 May 2021 11:29]

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785409 is a reply to message #785406 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 18 May 2021 11:25

Apparently Maurice said both Dubios and Ehlers are making the trip and will be game time decisions. I think he is blowing smoke up the Oilers ass. If you aren't practicing at all the day before the first game, I find it doubtful you are playing. If you are in a non-contact jersey, you don't go from that to being in the game the next day. Maybe I am wrong.

I think it is 90% likely you are right and we dont see either of those guys. If it was regular season they wouldnt even be on the plane to EDM.
Given it is playoffs and by most accounts they are underdogs I can see them pushing a return ahead if they think Dubois or Ehlers can give it a shot. If the team thinks they are better, even at limited capacity, than their replacements it might be worth the risk to rush back. Happens all the time for the playoffs.

All that said, it isn't like either guy is someone you gameplan around. The Oilers should see themselves as the driver in this series. Let the Jets chase and try and find ways to stop them. If the Oilers try to play the Jets game it gives WPG a much better chance.

If I was the coach I would have them come out flying, even take a few chances. Put the Jets on their heals and control the pace. They cant count on the refs to make calls every time but if the Oilers slow down and grind "playoff hockey" there is way more the refs will let go and will negate the speed advantage our stars have over their defence.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785411 is a reply to message #785409 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 18 May 2021 11:48

I think it is 90% likely you are right and we dont see either of those guys. If it was regular season they wouldnt even be on the plane to EDM.
Given it is playoffs and by most accounts they are underdogs I can see them pushing a return ahead if they think Dubois or Ehlers can give it a shot. If the team thinks they are better, even at limited capacity, than their replacements it might be worth the risk to rush back. Happens all the time for the playoffs.

All that said, it isn't like either guy is someone you gameplan around. The Oilers should see themselves as the driver in this series. Let the Jets chase and try and find ways to stop them. If the Oilers try to play the Jets game it gives WPG a much better chance.

If I was the coach I would have them come out flying, even take a few chances. Put the Jets on their heals and control the pace. They cant count on the refs to make calls every time but if the Oilers slow down and grind "playoff hockey" there is way more the refs will let go and will negate the speed advantage our stars have over their defence.

The one that would concern me most, is Andrew Copp (which sounds weird to actually read, I know). But he plays that heavy, playoff style that could hinder the Oily boys too guys.

Has anyone heard anything on him? Last i heard/saw he was still in the non contact side of things.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785412 is a reply to message #785411 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

Jason Gregor
@JasonGregor
·
56m
Oilers lines...and only 12 forwards on ice...
Kahun-McDavid-Puljujarvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Neal-McLeod-Kassian
Archibald-Khaira-Chiasson

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785413 is a reply to message #785411 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 18 May 2021 11:51

The one that would concern me most, is Andrew Copp (which sounds weird to actually read, I know). But he plays that heavy, playoff style that could hinder the Oily boys too guys.

Has anyone heard anything on him? Last i heard/saw he was still in the non contact side of things.

A Jets reporter tweeted from practice she saw both Copp and Ehlers in non contact jerseys today. If the coaches and docs don't even want you getting bumped in practice, that has to mean you are a ways away. Even with Ehlers supposedly flying to Edmonton, I can't see him going from don't even want your team touching you to in a game potentially getting drilled in a matter of 24 hrs.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785418 is a reply to message #785413 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 18 May 2021 12:06

A Jets reporter tweeted from practice she saw both Copp and Ehlers in non contact jerseys today. If the coaches and docs don't even want you getting bumped in practice, that has to mean you are a ways away. Even with Ehlers supposedly flying to Edmonton, I can't see him going from don't even want your team touching you to in a game potentially getting drilled in a matter of 24 hrs.

I just saw this;

To clarify: No PLD. Copp and Ehlers in non-contact.
Copp is part of Jets availability today and took part in line rushes so I expect him to play on Wednesday.

https://twitter.com/saraorlesky/status/1394698071892799492?s =21

So sounds like Copp will play 🤷🏻‍♂️ But was in non contact, for line rushes? I’m. Confused.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785420 is a reply to message #785418 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 18 May 2021 12:27

I just saw this;

Copp is part of Jets availability today and took part in line rushes so I expect him to play on Wednesday.

So sounds like Copp will play 🤷🏻‍♂️ But was in non contact, for line rushes? I’m. Confused.

It means he's in, but the Oilers aren't allowed to hit him.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785421 is a reply to message #785420 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 18 May 2021 12:35

I just saw this;

It means he's in, but the Oilers aren't allowed to hit him.

And if they do hit him they get penalized while their players get to maul ours?

Sounds about right actually.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2021 Playoffs Rd 1 - EDMONTON (2) vs. WINNIPEG (3) [message #785422 is a reply to message #785418 ]
Tue, 18 May 2021 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I just saw this;

Sara Orlesky was the reporter I got the info from as well. The team is worried about his own teammates accidentally bumping into him in practice but he will be OK to play in a game where opposing players will be trying to put in through the boards? Call me confused as well.

If he plays, the first shift against him I would tell whoever the biggest guy you have on the ice to hit him as hard as he can because if he can't take a bump in practice, how could he handle a body check.

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]  
Previous Topic: GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Next Topic:Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca