This day on September 26
None

Happy Birthday To: Kumquat, oilaz, CarOil, Oilcraze67, CowboyHockey4, Treads78, RDOilerfan, grace_acebedo

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Decisions LoomingPages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Decisions Looming [message #765858 is a reply to message #765857 ]
Mon, 24 August 2020 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 14:07

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 13:56

Adam wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 13:09

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 12:45

Mike wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 12:38

Adam wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 15:18

Honestly, if the draft was today, I think they'd take Puljujarvi and roll the dice on him. There's just nothing else worth pursuing off our roster.

Ouff - how sad is that?

It's...perfect! All part of the plan to set ourselves up to not lose anything of value to the expansion draft.

Honestly, it's pretty damning that we could conceivably go through two expansion drafts in 4 years and not lose a single player off the active roster.

In fairness, I was baffled that Vegas took Reinhart. By the time the expansion draft came around, we all knew he was lousy and couldn't play. If I could have hand picked which player to take, it would have been him.

What were the other options? Khaira and Brossoit? I forget if there was anything else of use. I seem to recall the joke being that the traded ended up being Barzal for saving Khaira.

I don't remember the Oilers roster that year. I don't even think Reinhart was even in the NHL much. He couldn't skate, questionable puck moving and didn't have a pulse when he played. There had to of been a 3rd/4th liner available over him.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765862 is a reply to message #765858 ]
Mon, 24 August 2020 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 14:14

Honestly, if the draft was today, I think they'd take Puljujarvi and roll the dice on him. There's just nothing else worth pursuing off our roster.

Ouff - how sad is that?

It's...perfect! All part of the plan to set ourselves up to not lose anything of value to the expansion draft.

Honestly, it's pretty damning that we could conceivably go through two expansion drafts in 4 years and not lose a single player off the active roster.

In fairness, I was baffled that Vegas took Reinhart. By the time the expansion draft came around, we all knew he was lousy and couldn't play. If I could have hand picked which player to take, it would have been him.

What were the other options? Khaira and Brossoit? I forget if there was anything else of use. I seem to recall the joke being that the traded ended up being Barzal for saving Khaira.

I don't remember the Oilers roster that year. I don't even think Reinhart was even in the NHL much. He couldn't skate, questionable puck moving and didn't have a pulse when he played. There had to of been a 3rd/4th liner available over him.

He played in a single playoff game and no regular season games that year. It was, as it turned out, his last NHL game.

Here's the Oilers protected list:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/oilers-have-no-surprises-in-their-expansion-protected-list

Honestly, the team should have dangled a draft pick in order to convince Vegas to take Pouliot or Fayne and save us some cap hit. We're still paying for Pouliot because they didn't take that step.

I doubt that Vegas was so excited to get Reinhart that they couldn't have been convinced to do something else...especially since Griffin never got to pull on the jersey for a regular season Golden Knights game.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Decisions Looming [message #766994 is a reply to message #765862 ]
Tue, 22 September 2020 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 14:33

He played in a single playoff game and no regular season games that year. It was, as it turned out, his last NHL game.

Here's the Oilers protected list:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/oilers-have-no-surprises-in-their-expansion-protected-list

Honestly, the team should have dangled a draft pick in order to convince Vegas to take Pouliot or Fayne and save us some cap hit. We're still paying for Pouliot because they didn't take that step.

I doubt that Vegas was so excited to get Reinhart that they couldn't have been convinced to do something else...especially since Griffin never got to pull on the jersey for a regular season Golden Knights game.

But imagine his pride when pulled on the Kunlun Red Star for the first time. confused2

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765865 is a reply to message #765858 ]
Mon, 24 August 2020 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

Ouff - how sad is that?

The asset management was weird all around. They justified shipping Davidson out because they didn't want to lost him to the expansion draft, as if somehow by shipping him out they no longer would lost a player and were exempt from the expansion draft.

In the end they ended up with Desharnais who left in the summer, so whether Davidson was claimed or Desharnais left as a UFA, there was no net player gain and they still lost a player to Vegas expansion draft. There *may* have been logic around moving Davidson for forward depth, but there was no logic around moving him to expansion draft reasons which they spent a lot of time talking about.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765867 is a reply to message #765858 ]
Mon, 24 August 2020 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Ouff - how sad is that?

2017 Expansion Draft (exposed players):

Forward - David Desharnais, Justin Fontaine, Matt Hendricks, Roman Horak, Jujhar Khaira, Anton Lander, Iiro Pakarinen, Tyler Pitlick, Zach Pochiro, Benoit Pouliot, Henrik Samuelsson and Bogdan Yakimov.

Defence - Mark Fayne, Andrew Ference, Mark Fraser, Eric Gryba, David Musil, Jordan Oesterle, Griffin Reinhart and Kris Russell.

Goalie - Laurent Brossoit

Not exactly huge loses anywhere around. Khaira, Pitlick (pending UFA), Oesterle were probably the best choices in hindsight. Oilers maybe should have tried to push them to take Pouliot to avoid a buyout.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765868 is a reply to message #765867 ]
Mon, 24 August 2020 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 15:22

Ouff - how sad is that?

Forward - David Desharnais, Justin Fontaine, Matt Hendricks, Roman Horak, Jujhar Khaira, Anton Lander, Iiro Pakarinen, Tyler Pitlick, Zach Pochiro, Benoit Pouliot, Henrik Samuelsson and Bogdan Yakimov.

Defence - Mark Fayne, Andrew Ference, Mark Fraser, Eric Gryba, David Musil, Jordan Oesterle, Griffin Reinhart and Kris Russell.

Not exactly huge loses anywhere around. Khaira, Pitlick (pending UFA), Oesterle were probably the best choices in hindsight. Oilers maybe should have tried to push them to take Pouliot to avoid a buyout.

Not exactly a great list but at least some of them were NHLers. When the expansion draft happened in June 2017, Reinhart didn't even play a single NHL game that year. He spent the whole year in Bakersfield.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765869 is a reply to message #765868 ]
Mon, 24 August 2020 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 15:27

Ouff - how sad is that?

Not exactly a great list but at least some of them were NHLers. When the expansion draft happened in June 2017, Reinhart didn't even play a single NHL game that year. He spent the whole year in Bakersfield.

If I recall correctly, Griffin looked pretty good in his 1 playoff game and ended the playoffs as a PPG player.

Sometimes it's just hard to look away from the pedigree. I'm sure Vegas just looked at all the garbage we had, and figured no biggie taking a D prospect that might be a late bloomer.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765871 is a reply to message #765868 ]
Mon, 24 August 2020 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ouff - how sad is that?

The fact is, they didn't need an extra fourth liner.

Desharnais, Gryba, Russell, Pitlick, Samuelsson, Horak, Hendricks, Oesterle, Pochiro were all UFAs (not sure if Gryba or Russell got inked ahead of the draft - I think at least one did, but they were still garbage).

Many of these guys never played an NHL game since including some of the NHLers. Ference was done, Fayne was done, Pouliot was about to get bought out. With 30 picks, they knew there were some who weren't going to be on their roster, so tried to get a couple prospects as well.

Reinhart was a former 4th overall pick, and given that he was in Edmonton, there was a possibility he was just being managed really poorly.

The Kraken are going to face the same issue - there's several teams where their pick isn't likely to play this year, so they may as well just get a prospect for the system.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765873 is a reply to message #765871 ]
Mon, 24 August 2020 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 15:44

Ouff - how sad is that?

Desharnais, Gryba, Russell, Pitlick, Samuelsson, Horak, Hendricks, Oesterle, Pochiro were all UFAs (not sure if Gryba or Russell got inked ahead of the draft - I think at least one did, but they were still garbage).

Many of these guys never played an NHL game since including some of the NHLers. Ference was done, Fayne was done, Pouliot was about to get bought out. With 30 picks, they knew there were some who weren't going to be on their roster, so tried to get a couple prospects as well.

Reinhart was a former 4th overall pick, and given that he was in Edmonton, there was a possibility he was just being managed really poorly.

The Kraken are going to face the same issue - there's several teams where their pick isn't likely to play this year, so they may as well just get a prospect for the system.

Please do not tell me you are going to turn this into a debate on the Oilers not developing Reinhart properly?

It was a horrible trade. Reinhart was a below average skater with questionable compete even before he became Oilers property. In 2 seasons with the Oilers, he played 84 AHL and 29 NHL games. I guess they could have not played him at all in the NHL but no amount of development was fixing him. He was not a good player.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765874 is a reply to message #765873 ]
Mon, 24 August 2020 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 15:52

Ouff - how sad is that?

Please do not tell me you are going to turn this into a debate on the Oilers not developing Reinhart properly?

It was a horrible trade. Reinhart was a below average skater with questionable compete even before he became Oilers property. In 2 seasons with the Oilers, he played 84 AHL and 29 NHL games. I guess they could have not played him at all in the NHL but no amount of development was fixing him. He was not a good player.

He’s not saying that. He’s saying maybe Vegas had a little bit of Cam Barker syndrome. If a guy went #4, and his team is notable for poor development, he may be worth a flier.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765875 is a reply to message #765874 ]
Mon, 24 August 2020 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 16:31

Ouff - how sad is that?

He’s not saying that. He’s saying maybe Vegas had a little bit of Cam Barker syndrome. If a guy went #4, and his team is notable for poor development, he may be worth a flier.

He was drafted by the Islanders in 2012, a draft that is regarded as quite poor. Then he spent 2 more years in junior where he was mediocre. Then played 37 total NHL games and 143 AHL games in 3 years. So from the time he was drafted until he was picked in the expansion draft, he spent the huge majority of his time in development leagues. I don't see how the 2 NHL teams who had him prior to Vegas screwed up his development. It just looks like he was flat out not good enough and drafted, way, way, way too high in a weak draft class.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html
If you look at that draft class, is there even 1 superstar in whole first round? Forsberg at #11 is a real good player but I wouldn't call him a superstar. Maybe Vasilevsky at #19? Rielly at #5 is a real good player but I wouldn't call him a superstar. The top 4 of that draft was brutal.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 August 2020 16:59]

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765876 is a reply to message #765875 ]
Mon, 24 August 2020 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 16:53

Ouff - how sad is that?

He was drafted by the Islanders in 2012, a draft that is regarded as quite poor. Then he spent 2 more years in junior where he was mediocre. Then played 37 total NHL games and 143 AHL games in 3 years. So from the time he was drafted until he was picked in the expansion draft, he spent the huge majority of his time in development leagues. I don't see how the 2 NHL teams who had him prior to Vegas screwed up his development. It just looks like he was flat out not good enough and drafted, way, way, way too high in a weak draft class.

Yup. The Isles apparently hadn’t even interviewed him. But then that’s the team that will have had Rick DiPietro on their payroll for 30 or so years when they finally stop paying him in 2029. That’s almost as long as the Oil have been paying Kevin Lowe.

Just imagine, right now we’d be trying to figure out how we would fit Barzal under the cap.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765879 is a reply to message #765876 ]
Mon, 24 August 2020 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 17:01

Ouff - how sad is that?

Yup. The Isles apparently hadn’t even interviewed him. But then that’s the team that will have had Rick DiPietro on their payroll for 30 or so years when they finally stop paying him in 2029. That’s almost as long as the Oil have been paying Kevin Lowe.

Just imagine, right now we’d be trying to figure out how we would fit Barzal under the cap.

Chiarelli did a really nice job keeping us from having to protect people in the Seattle expansion draft. I mean, McDavid, Draisaitl, Barzal, Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins...someone would have to be left exposed!

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765881 is a reply to message #765879 ]
Mon, 24 August 2020 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 17:11

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 17:01

Ouff - how sad is that?

Chiarelli did a really nice job keeping us from having to protect people in the Seattle expansion draft. I mean, McDavid, Draisaitl, Barzal, Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins...someone would have to be left exposed!

Finally understanding the genius I see.

I'm sure this is being noticed by others as well. I expect Chia is an NHL GM again within the next 2 years.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765882 is a reply to message #765873 ]
Mon, 24 August 2020 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

Excellent discussion. I think the current General Managers will have learned some lessons from the Vegas expansion draft. Then again do NHL GM's ever learn?

As far as decisions facing the Oilers, having an in house solution to goaltending is a pipe dream; has been for decades. What the Oilers know about developing goalies can be written on the head of a pin. Obviously there will be several teams like Edmonton and Calgary desperate for net minders. Like it has been for years, I fear the Oilers will sign someone in his mid thirties to a multi year deal and we can sit back and watch the guy fade. Maybe his name will be Mike Smith, who Ken Holland has not written off. Maybe Smith and the goaltending coach will be getting sized for Stanley Cup rings in the very near future, as we watch pigs fly in the meantime.

On defence, we have to trust the kids. Kris Russell is winding things down, but buyouts hurt the salary cap for years. The hope is that NHL teams are always looking for defence at the trade deadline, so there may be a market for Russell then. Nurse is a real Jekyll and Hyde, looking brilliant some nights and clumsy at other times. I'm a fan of Matt Benning, and his advanced stats are fantastic. However, he only plays limited minutes and the Oilers budget for a third pairing D is limited, especially with other RFA's to be signed. Adam Larsson is having injury issues, but is probably the most intense Oiler D and his contract is for one more year. Bear deserves and will get a raise. Have to hope some of the prospects arrive sooner than later.

Sure, Pieterangelo would be great to help the kids along for a couple of years. But we all know he is going to get paid mega bucks, and for a longer term than he will be effective. He's only a couple of years younger than Kris Russell. Sorry, Skookum Jim.

The Oilers are fine at centre with Draisaitl and McDavid being among the NHL's truly elite players.
The Oilers still haven't found linemates for McDavid except for Nugent-Hopkins,who is a fine centre in his own right. (no, Kassian isn't the answer for more than 20 games a season and Neal is too inconsistent)

Smyth260 is right. Lots to do and not much money/cap space to do it. I hope Holland doesn't get sucked in again like he did by Kassian's agent. I think the average player agent is a better negotiator then the average NHL General Manager. Prove me wrong, Mr. Holland....please.

If the Oilers bring in players on PTO's, I expect them to be mostly bottom six wingers. The Oilers go through them every year with the rinse-repeat thing.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765892 is a reply to message #765882 ]
Tue, 25 August 2020 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 17:17

Excellent discussion. I think the current General Managers will have learned some lessons from the Vegas expansion draft. Then again do NHL GM's ever learn?

As far as decisions facing the Oilers, having an in house solution to goaltending is a pipe dream; has been for decades. What the Oilers know about developing goalies can be written on the head of a pin. Obviously there will be several teams like Edmonton and Calgary desperate for net minders. Like it has been for years, I fear the Oilers will sign someone in his mid thirties to a multi year deal and we can sit back and watch the guy fade. Maybe his name will be Mike Smith, who Ken Holland has not written off. Maybe Smith and the goaltending coach will be getting sized for Stanley Cup rings in the very near future, as we watch pigs fly in the meantime.

On defence, we have to trust the kids. Kris Russell is winding things down, but buyouts hurt the salary cap for years. The hope is that NHL teams are always looking for defence at the trade deadline, so there may be a market for Russell then. Nurse is a real Jekyll and Hyde, looking brilliant some nights and clumsy at other times. I'm a fan of Matt Benning, and his advanced stats are fantastic. However, he only plays limited minutes and the Oilers budget for a third pairing D is limited, especially with other RFA's to be signed. Adam Larsson is having injury issues, but is probably the most intense Oiler D and his contract is for one more year. Bear deserves and will get a raise. Have to hope some of the prospects arrive sooner than later.

Sure, Pieterangelo would be great to help the kids along for a couple of years. But we all know he is going to get paid mega bucks, and for a longer term than he will be effective. He's only a couple of years younger than Kris Russell. Sorry, Skookum Jim.

The Oilers are fine at centre with Draisaitl and McDavid being among the NHL's truly elite players.
The Oilers still haven't found linemates for McDavid except for Nugent-Hopkins,who is a fine centre in his own right. (no, Kassian isn't the answer for more than 20 games a season and Neal is too inconsistent)

Smyth260 is right. Lots to do and not much money/cap space to do it. I hope Holland doesn't get sucked in again like he did by Kassian's agent. I think the average player agent is a better negotiator then the average NHL General Manager. Prove me wrong, Mr. Holland....please.

If the Oilers bring in players on PTO's, I expect them to be mostly bottom six wingers. The Oilers go through them every year with the rinse-repeat thing.

I am of the opinion that the current financial situation will play into the Oilers favour when it comes to players like Russell. There's reports of teams wanting to cut costs, Pens being an example. Cap hit plays a part in any transaction. Unless you have lots of cap space, usually teams have to match cap space or at least come real close. So if you are a team looking to cut costs and you have a useful winger making close to 4 mill in cap space but actually pay that in real money, Russell and his 1.5 mill of actual salary paid may look appealing. I know Russell has his haters but when put in the right situation, he can give you decent minutes at times and he has some versatility.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765914 is a reply to message #765892 ]
Tue, 25 August 2020 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Obviously, Rutherford isn’t afraid to make moves... so he likely isn’t done this offseason, but he just ADDED salary. You can’t always just believe what these guys, or reporters, say.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765917 is a reply to message #765914 ]
Tue, 25 August 2020 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 25 August 2020 10:14

Obviously, Rutherford isn’t afraid to make moves... so he likely isn’t done this offseason, but he just ADDED salary. You can’t always just believe what these guys, or reporters, say.

I just used the Pens as an example of what some are saying, doesn't mean they would be a target. The point being, in my opinion with physical dollars being tight for some teams/owners, trading a guy like Russell with is low salary might be attractive.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765866 is a reply to message #765840 ]
Mon, 24 August 2020 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 12:18

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 10:47

I have said it before, I wonder if the Oilers work out a deal with Nuge to have an extension in place but not filed with the league. He would be a UFA when the expansion draft takes place. Seattle can take him but they'd risk picking a UFA who can go anywhere and Nuge himself could tell them don't take me because I won't sign. That would allow the Oilers to protect someone else, then as soon as the draft is over, they can announce the new deal.

Nuge was drafted by the Oilers, spent his whole time with the Oilers, went through all the crap with the Oilers. My guess is with the team on the rise and about to get good, he would like to be a part of that vs going to an expansion team that will probably not be as good. I do not think Seattle will be as good as Vegas because they won't be gifted top 6 forwards and top dman like Vegas was. A lot of NHL GM's screwed up royally with the Vegas draft so I don't see that happening again. Plus Nuge's wife is from RD so he's got pretty big ties to Alberta.

There is an element of risk to this, but I'd still pursue the strategy if I could get the warm and fuzzies from Nuge. It helps the team if we have one more person to protect.

That said, the funny thing now is that there's virtually no one else you need to protect here. Looking at the roster list, all the rest are really just-a-guy's who can be replaced without much heartburn. Larsson is UFA as well, so limited appeal to Seattle. Honestly, if the draft was today, I think they'd take Puljujarvi and roll the dice on him. There's just nothing else worth pursuing off our roster.

With a lesser player I'd be more inclined to wait and sign post-expansion. But with the Oilers having precious little worth protecting at the moment, I think I'd rather just eliminate the risk. For me a signed RNH extension in hand is worth more than protecting Zack Kassian or Josh Archibald.

Oilers should be talking extension right now with RNH. If there isn't interest (and there may not be given his lack of success here), they have no real choice but to shop him this summer. If there is interest, I'd be looking to get him signed; I don't think I letting this thing drag on longer than it has to. If he has a great season, maybe the ask goes up. If the Oilers struggle, maybe the interest fades. If he is approaching free agency with nothing more than a verbal understanding, maybe the desire to test the market becomes really appealing. Although I understand the appeal of waiting (and certainly would for certain other UFAs), I think RNH is valuable enough to this team I'm just looking to get it secured.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765870 is a reply to message #765866 ]
Mon, 24 August 2020 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 15:17

Adam wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 12:18

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 10:47

I have said it before, I wonder if the Oilers work out a deal with Nuge to have an extension in place but not filed with the league. He would be a UFA when the expansion draft takes place. Seattle can take him but they'd risk picking a UFA who can go anywhere and Nuge himself could tell them don't take me because I won't sign. That would allow the Oilers to protect someone else, then as soon as the draft is over, they can announce the new deal.

Nuge was drafted by the Oilers, spent his whole time with the Oilers, went through all the crap with the Oilers. My guess is with the team on the rise and about to get good, he would like to be a part of that vs going to an expansion team that will probably not be as good. I do not think Seattle will be as good as Vegas because they won't be gifted top 6 forwards and top dman like Vegas was. A lot of NHL GM's screwed up royally with the Vegas draft so I don't see that happening again. Plus Nuge's wife is from RD so he's got pretty big ties to Alberta.

There is an element of risk to this, but I'd still pursue the strategy if I could get the warm and fuzzies from Nuge. It helps the team if we have one more person to protect.

That said, the funny thing now is that there's virtually no one else you need to protect here. Looking at the roster list, all the rest are really just-a-guy's who can be replaced without much heartburn. Larsson is UFA as well, so limited appeal to Seattle. Honestly, if the draft was today, I think they'd take Puljujarvi and roll the dice on him. There's just nothing else worth pursuing off our roster.

With a lesser player I'd be more inclined to wait and sign post-expansion. But with the Oilers having precious little worth protecting at the moment, I think I'd rather just eliminate the risk. For me a signed RNH extension in hand is worth more than protecting Zack Kassian or Josh Archibald.

Oilers should be talking extension right now with RNH. If there isn't interest (and there may not be given his lack of success here), they have no real choice but to shop him this summer. If there is interest, I'd be looking to get him signed; I don't think I letting this thing drag on longer than it has to. If he has a great season, maybe the ask goes up. If the Oilers struggle, maybe the interest fades. If he is approaching free agency with nothing more than a verbal understanding, maybe the desire to test the market becomes really appealing. Although I understand the appeal of waiting (and certainly would for certain other UFAs), I think RNH is valuable enough to this team I'm just looking to get it secured.

To me, this totally depends on what happens between now and then. If the Oilers were to sign a Taylor Hall, for example, or if Puljujarvi came back and really emerged this year - then I might be tempted to go to Nuge and ask him to help us out here. It's potentially a freebie for an extra protected spot.

If the line-up was the exact same, then I'm with you - just get him extended. But if we can do something to really improve the team this year, then I don't want to undo that because we protected someone we didn't necessarily have to.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765836 is a reply to message #765832 ]
Mon, 24 August 2020 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 24 August 2020 10:20

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 22 August 2020 23:20

Protection list rules

Each team can protect up to seven forwards, three defensemen, and one goaltender, or nine players regardless of position.

All players with no-movement clauses must be protected unless they’ve agreed to waive.

Any player with two or fewer years of NHL/AHL experience is exempt.

Teams must expose players who meet certain criteria. There must be at least one defensemen and two forwards who are under contract for 2021-22 and played at least 40 NHL games in 2020-21 or 70 NHL games total since the start of 2019-20. Teams must also expose a goaltender who is either under contract for the 2021-22 season or about to enter restricted free agency.

Bear and Jones will both need to be protected with their AHL seasons.

Well this is different (better) than the Vegas draft, isn't it?

With 9 skaters we'd have:

McDavid
Draisaitl
RNH (if he's under contract - or wait till after the draft)
Klefbom
Nurse
Bear
Jones

That leaves 2 spots - one for hopefully the goalie upgrade we get, and a 2nd for hopefully a new top 6 forward (Yamomoto doesn't need to be protected does he?)

I assumed Yamamoto does. He'll have three professional seasons under him by the time the expansion draft takes place.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #766960 is a reply to message #765667 ]
Mon, 21 September 2020 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sgrabia  is currently offline sgrabia

No Cups

I would trade Larsson and Russell then use the 8.16M and go after Pietrangelo so it would give you this but also have a plan B in case third line is not working so have 2 cheap replacements with experience as number 7-8.

Klefbom - Pietrangelo
Nurse - Bear
Jones - Bouchard

Re: Decisions Looming [message #766967 is a reply to message #766960 ]
Mon, 21 September 2020 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

sgrabia wrote on Mon, 21 September 2020 19:46

I would trade Larsson and Russell then use the 8.16M and go after Pietrangelo so it would give you this but also have a plan B in case third line is not working so have 2 cheap replacements with experience as number 7-8.

Klefbom - Pietrangelo
Nurse - Bear
Jones - Bouchard

I'm with you on Piertrangelo.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765668 is a reply to message #765657 ]
Wed, 19 August 2020 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

My strategies:

- I'd try to sign Bear to a long term Klefbom-like contract. I think he's shown enough that we can take the long term risk.

- See what the markets are like to get rid of Neal, Kassian, and Russell. I'd certainly look at trading picks if deal was right.

- KEEP KLEFBOM! Friedman said he wonders if the Oilers will look at trading him. I think barring a can't refuse offer, that is not a contract you trade. When Friedge mentions something, it usually has some legs. He thought Ken Holland was a possibility months before it happened.

- I think I am shopping Larsson for a top 6 winger. I don't think Larsson has much of a future here with Bear and Bouchard likely being the top 4 RD guys. I like Benning a lot too on the bottom pair (never has been a minus player in 4 seasons with the Oilers). If the RD group is some combination of Benning, Bear, Bouchard, and a stopgap, that might be okay. I'd like to get something for Larsson before he is a UFA.

- I am kind of torn with Athanasiou. I don't think he's worth his qualifying offer at this point, and he has arbitration rights. I think money would have to be moved for me to entertain it, and I'd be looking at other options before signing him.

- See how Ennis' broken leg is healing. If it's looking like it's going to be okay, I'd be happy to bring him on a short term deal. His last two contracts were one year deals under a million. Try to do that again.

- Let Smith walk and find another option. There will be a ton of goalies looking for jobs this summer. Most are better options than Smith. There are some rumors that the Leafs might move on from Andersen. He's pricey at 5M with one more year, but I'd check in on that. Otherwise, somebody like Greiss or Khudobin could be a good 1A/1B option. I don't think they should focus on any one guy.

- Look for other options at 3C. I am in no rush to sign Sheahan.

- Free agents of interest: Taylor Hall, Mikael Granlund, Tyler Toffoli, Mike Hoffman, Evgeni Dadonov, Craig Smith, Conor Sheary, Travis Hamonic, Tyson Barrie, Brandon Montour, Mark Pysyk, Kevin Shattenkirk.

I definitely think with the right moves, next year's team can be better than last years.

Clean house or bust

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765685 is a reply to message #765668 ]
Wed, 19 August 2020 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 19 August 2020 16:10

- I think I am shopping Larsson for a top 6 winger. I don't think Larsson has much of a future here with Bear and Bouchard likely being the top 4 RD guys. I like Benning a lot too on the bottom pair (never has been a minus player in 4 seasons with the Oilers). If the RD group is some combination of Benning, Bear, Bouchard, and a stopgap, that might be okay. I'd like to get something for Larsson before he is a UFA.

Maybe Holland can fleece someone for a forward the way Chia got fleeced when he traded for Larsson to begin with. Ken did manage to get the Flames to take on Lucic's contact....

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765686 is a reply to message #765685 ]
Wed, 19 August 2020 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 19 August 2020 21:37

Maybe Holland can fleece someone for a forward the way Chia got fleeced when he traded for Larsson to begin with. Ken did manage to get the Flames to take on Lucic's contact....

You mean elite playoff performer Looch? Dude has more playoff points than Ebs :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765687 is a reply to message #765686 ]
Wed, 19 August 2020 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 19 August 2020 21:52

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 19 August 2020 21:37

You mean elite playoff performer Looch? Dude has more playoff points than Ebs :)

Guy just needed a 30+ captain.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765690 is a reply to message #765687 ]
Thu, 20 August 2020 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

My take on what possible outcomes could happen....

1. Chris Russell - traded to a place like LA for a 4th or 5th. They need Dmen desperately.

2. Trade/Sign a goalie - Jake Allen or Matt Murray on the trade front. I like Murray, but injury prone. So Jake Allen & 4th for JP & Chaisson (to dump some salary). If signing a UFA, then Markstrom at 3 years x $7 million or Lehner at 3 years x $6 million (will need to dump min of $4 million contract to do this)

3. 3rd line center - trade Benning & Khaira for Jack Roslovic. Young RH, skilled, fast player that hasn't produced as much as once thought. Winnipeg needs RH dmen big time & some bottom 6 centermen. This is a flyer we take a chance on and he will be pretty cheap to resign. Hoping change of scenery & opportunity gets him going.

4. Trade Larsson to Leafs for Kapanen & a 4th. Gives us a top 9, potential top 6 forward that is a bit cheaper and has speed/upside.

5. Sign Tyson Barrie 2 x $4 Million a year. Takes over Larrson's spot in top 4 & can show Bouchard some Powerplay stuff for when he makes the step to be in top 4. He has something to prove IMO.

6. Trade/Sign a cheaper (around $1.5 million) veteran Dman who can still play in the league to help mentor young Dmen.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765692 is a reply to message #765690 ]
Thu, 20 August 2020 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

With the financial situation of the league down and probably will be down for a few years, I do wonder if there will be teams owners who are harder up for cash. So does a guy like K. Russell who on paper is a 4 mill cap hit but in real money, is only 1.5 mill appeal to more teams than we think.

https://oilersnation.com/2020/08/19/a-look-at-how-the-edmont on-oilers-could-make-the-most-of-a-pittsburgh-penguins-cap-c runch/

There is an article on another site where some quotes from a Pens write lists off how the Pens are a team that runs on money in, money out. They count on playoff revenue which they didn't get so they are looking to cut costs. I have heard Stauffer mention on his show a few times that the Pens will have an "internal" budget. So I wonder if there is anyone on the Pens they would be willing to part with as in swap cap hits but the dollars they actually pay is less.

Even goalies. Murray and Jarry are both RFA's. Looks like Jarry has taken over the spot but he's really only got 33 games as a starter, so he's unproven and I don't know if you want to sign him up long term just yet. Maybe a shorter term, less money, show me deal. Murray is coming off a 3.75 mill deal. I am assuming given his resume if he went to Arb would get a little bump even if he isn't the starter. Given Jarry looks good but isn't proven, you'd want a good back up just in case who could start longer stretches if needed. If you think Jarry is the guy, while you want a real good back up, you don't want to commit to a guy for a long time because you have to pay Jarry eventually. So does a Koskinen become attractive? He's not elite but he's shown that if he shares the net, he can give you good starts. .917 and 2.75 GA behind the Oilers defense is pretty decent. He's making a bit more than you'd like but he only has 2 yrs at 4.5 mill so you have some cost certainty. If you swap Koskinen for Murray, does it end up being a saw off salary wise? It's not a stretch to think that Murray gets at least 4.5 mill given the resume but I doubt you get him for 2 yrs. Murray as a starter is probably a slight upgrade over Koskinen but you aren't looking for a starter, you want a really good back up which Koskinen can easily be and can start for long stretches if needed. When Koskinen's contract is up in 2 yrs, you'd think Jarry has established himself as their legit guy and you can let Koskinen go and sign Jarry. If I am Murray, I don't want to commit to just 2 yrs, I want longer.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765691 is a reply to message #765657 ]
Thu, 20 August 2020 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

Does Neal for Turris with salaries levelled plus a pick from nas for make up for extra year make any sense for Oilers. Doesn't fix sal cap but gets you a third line centre and adds a pick to fix some of the damage from green and AA trades.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765693 is a reply to message #765691 ]
Thu, 20 August 2020 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mullet wrote on Thu, 20 August 2020 09:58

Does Neal for Turris with salaries levelled plus a pick from nas for make up for extra year make any sense for Oilers. Doesn't fix sal cap but gets you a third line centre and adds a pick to fix some of the damage from green and AA trades.

I've seen articles on Oilersnation written out Turris as a 3rd line center and I wasn't a fan unless the Preds eat money but if you were swapping Neal for him, that changes things a bit. Turris has 1 more year but may not be an issue with all the new TV deals coming in a few years and the cap should go up by them. He can really skate, is a right shot which would be awesome and definitely has offensive skill. It hasn't worked in Nashville but if he's only being counted on to be your 3rd line center, there is no pressure especially with the 2 centers ahead of him.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765695 is a reply to message #765691 ]
Thu, 20 August 2020 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Hmmm that would be very interesting deal. Preds have not been heavy on eating salary in any trade, but maybe you could convince them to eat a bit on this deal. I would want Turris to come in at $5 million. If they were to take $1 million salary back from Turris I would do that deal.

I do think Turris is better than what he has shown. He is a true center and a RH one at that which we desperately need. I would look at that hard if the Preds were willing to look at taking Neal because of 1 less year on the contract.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765699 is a reply to message #765695 ]
Thu, 20 August 2020 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jakey wrote on Thu, 20 August 2020 11:28

Hmmm that would be very interesting deal. Preds have not been heavy on eating salary in any trade, but maybe you could convince them to eat a bit on this deal. I would want Turris to come in at $5 million. If they were to take $1 million salary back from Turris I would do that deal.

I do think Turris is better than what he has shown. He is a true center and a RH one at that which we desperately need. I would look at that hard if the Preds were willing to look at taking Neal because of 1 less year on the contract.

Do you need the Preds to eat salary? Neal makes 5.75, Turris 6. So 250K apart. Turris has an extra year on the deal but by that time that year becomes a factor, the cap should have gone up. Chances are Neal 5 on 5 is on your 3rd line in Edmonton, so would Turris. A center is more important than a winger and Turris skates better. If I have to have 6 mill player on my 3rd line, I'd rather it being a good skating center vs a slower winger. Plus with the expansion draft, Turris and his skating ability might be more attractive to Seattle who might be looking for more offensive guys rather than the slower Neal. Plus Turris is from BC so close to a local product.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765714 is a reply to message #765699 ]
Thu, 20 August 2020 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 20 August 2020 11:56

Do you need the Preds to eat salary? Neal makes 5.75, Turris 6. So 250K apart. Turris has an extra year on the deal but by that time that year becomes a factor, the cap should have gone up. Chances are Neal 5 on 5 is on your 3rd line in Edmonton, so would Turris. A center is more important than a winger and Turris skates better. If I have to have 6 mill player on my 3rd line, I'd rather it being a good skating center vs a slower winger. Plus with the expansion draft, Turris and his skating ability might be more attractive to Seattle who might be looking for more offensive guys rather than the slower Neal. Plus Turris is from BC so close to a local product.

I think they should retain some because of that extra year. THis probably should be seen as a change of scenery deal from both teams. Neal hopefully would provide a bit of finish up front that the Preds have very little of, including from Turris who has really lost what little scoring touch he had. He's not that good defensively either, so don't count on him to center any kind of shutdown line.

Honestly, that's a real bummer contract to take on, even if Nashville retains ~500k. Wish Neal didn't get hurt and put up 25+ goals. Maybe could have suckered a team desperate for some scoring into take him on and found a way to save a lot more cap.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765719 is a reply to message #765714 ]
Thu, 20 August 2020 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 August 2020 16:55

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 20 August 2020 11:56

I think they should retain some because of that extra year. THis probably should be seen as a change of scenery deal from both teams. Neal hopefully would provide a bit of finish up front that the Preds have very little of, including from Turris who has really lost what little scoring touch he had. He's not that good defensively either, so don't count on him to center any kind of shutdown line.

Honestly, that's a real bummer contract to take on, even if Nashville retains ~500k. Wish Neal didn't get hurt and put up 25+ goals. Maybe could have suckered a team desperate for some scoring into take him on and found a way to save a lot more cap.

Yeah, I was intrigued when I saw the suggestion, but I looked at Turris's stats over the last couple years and I'm not sure it's any upgrade, plus it's for longer...it just drags out our problem further really.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #766962 is a reply to message #765699 ]
Mon, 21 September 2020 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sgrabia  is currently offline sgrabia

No Cups

Common man dont go after Turris for that money use it to pay Mike Hoffman at least you know he will give you 60-70 pts for the same money

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765701 is a reply to message #765695 ]
Thu, 20 August 2020 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I wonder if Nashville would want Neal back. He hasn't always been the most popular teammate and they left him exposed to Vegas a few years ago.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #765697 is a reply to message #765691 ]
Thu, 20 August 2020 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Even better would be to somehow trade Neal away for an older/experienced Dman somehow & then trade for Turris and have the Preds retain half ($3 Million). That way you would plug 2 holes.....3rd line RH center and veteran Dman when/if Larrson gets traded for a top 6 winger.

Re: Decisions Looming [message #766917 is a reply to message #765657 ]
Sun, 20 September 2020 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /no-big-moves-for-edmonton-oilers-just-tinkering-with-the-te am-says-team-exec/

Bobby Nicks predicts no big moves, just tinkering with the lineup.

He also gives Holland a pass, saying he didn't have much to work with. Of course this is because Bobby Nicks was sitting around with a thumb up his butt watching his employee Chiarelli crater the team.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Decisions Looming [message #766920 is a reply to message #766917 ]
Sun, 20 September 2020 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 20 September 2020 09:51

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /no-big-moves-for-edmonton-oilers-just-tinkering-with-the-te am-says-team-exec/

He also gives Holland a pass, saying he didn't have much to work with. Of course this is because Bobby Nicks was sitting around with a thumb up his butt watching his employee Chiarelli crater the team.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-oilers-nhl- hockey-bob-nicholson-peter-chiarelli-1.4617025

Re: Decisions Looming [message #766921 is a reply to message #766920 ]
Sun, 20 September 2020 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sun, 20 September 2020 18:36

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 20 September 2020 09:51

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-oilers-nhl- hockey-bob-nicholson-peter-chiarelli-1.4617025

Dear lord. I forget how sure Nicholson still was in the Chia plan thew summer before he watched Chia just take a blow torch to the teams assets until he was finally fired.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Pages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]  
Previous Topic:UFA Wishlist
Next Topic:A. Duclair?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca