This day on October 23
None

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #11)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #721432 is a reply to message #721427 ]
Wed, 31 October 2018 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 31 October 2018 12:47

Adam wrote on Wed, 31 October 2018 11:53

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 31 October 2018 11:14

I am on record as saying I like having a big body in front of the net to screen the goalie, clean up the garbage and create problems in front. If Lucic is indeed reluctant to do that fully, then I would put someone else in that spot.

I think size is over-rated in the net-front presence, especially post 2004 lockout, as defenders aren't given free reign to hammer people with crosschecks like they once were. None of the most effective net-front guys the Oilers have had - Simpson, Smyth, Horcoff - were massive bodies. They were good at tipping pucks, keeping position, getting to rebounds, but we've never had a monster in front who was really effective. I remember Rishaug asking about Laraque in front, but that's the same mistake - size is a nice to have only in that player.

Chiasson's tip last night was pretty sweet - maybe he should be replacing Lucic there. It will be interesting to see if there's any tweaks to the PP now, or if McLellan's stubbornness continues.

We will disagree then on size. When a lot of the starters are 6'3 or bigger - Talbot is 6'4. Having Caggulia who is 5'10, Rieder who is 5'11, or Yamamoto who is 5'8 and lighter than a lot of highschool students is not providing much of a screen and I have a hard time believing he will be able to hold his position in front of the goal vs almost anyone. You aren't putting Nuge, Leon, McDavid in front of the goal. If you have a problem with Lucic and his skill on the PP then Brodziak, Kassian and Khaira should be scratched because they are less offensive than Lucic. I might be wrong but I don't see Rattie who's hurt or Strome being a good net front guy. So now you are down to Lucic, Chiasson, Puljujarvi.

In my opinion, unless the goalie sucks, at this level if he sees it, he will stop almost every one.

The puck is coming from low, and goalies tend to crouch, so you don't have to be taller than the goalie to provide an adequate screen. You'll note, I never said put Yamamoto in that spot - I think he may have issues holding position against big defenders.

I'm saying that simply being big isn't enough and that a smaller guy who can actually do any of the required skills is better than Lucic - who doesn't even screen well, since he typically spins to the side whenever a shot looks like it might come through. Size doesn't help you at all if you're simply standing off to the side of the goalie watching the play.

For what it's worth, I would try Draisaitl in front of the net. He's got great hands and an ability to get to loose pucks. He's got a good sense for when McDavid is going to pass to him, and, as an added bonus, he is also big. I'd have Nugent-Hopkins in Draisaitl's spot and a right shot where Nuge is standing - preferably Puljujarvi, as I think he's got the best shot, but I could be convinced to try Chiasson for a spell, or even Yamamoto.

Lucic is a no-brainer to move to the second unit, because he's showing bad plays every night, and only a couple of good plays on the PP all season.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #721433 is a reply to message #721432 ]
Wed, 31 October 2018 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 31 October 2018 15:37

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 31 October 2018 12:47

Adam wrote on Wed, 31 October 2018 11:53

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 31 October 2018 11:14

I am on record as saying I like having a big body in front of the net to screen the goalie, clean up the garbage and create problems in front. If Lucic is indeed reluctant to do that fully, then I would put someone else in that spot.

I think size is over-rated in the net-front presence, especially post 2004 lockout, as defenders aren't given free reign to hammer people with crosschecks like they once were. None of the most effective net-front guys the Oilers have had - Simpson, Smyth, Horcoff - were massive bodies. They were good at tipping pucks, keeping position, getting to rebounds, but we've never had a monster in front who was really effective. I remember Rishaug asking about Laraque in front, but that's the same mistake - size is a nice to have only in that player.

Chiasson's tip last night was pretty sweet - maybe he should be replacing Lucic there. It will be interesting to see if there's any tweaks to the PP now, or if McLellan's stubbornness continues.

We will disagree then on size. When a lot of the starters are 6'3 or bigger - Talbot is 6'4. Having Caggulia who is 5'10, Rieder who is 5'11, or Yamamoto who is 5'8 and lighter than a lot of highschool students is not providing much of a screen and I have a hard time believing he will be able to hold his position in front of the goal vs almost anyone. You aren't putting Nuge, Leon, McDavid in front of the goal. If you have a problem with Lucic and his skill on the PP then Brodziak, Kassian and Khaira should be scratched because they are less offensive than Lucic. I might be wrong but I don't see Rattie who's hurt or Strome being a good net front guy. So now you are down to Lucic, Chiasson, Puljujarvi.

In my opinion, unless the goalie sucks, at this level if he sees it, he will stop almost every one.

The puck is coming from low, and goalies tend to crouch, so you don't have to be taller than the goalie to provide an adequate screen. You'll note, I never said put Yamamoto in that spot - I think he may have issues holding position against big defenders.

I'm saying that simply being big isn't enough and that a smaller guy who can actually do any of the required skills is better than Lucic - who doesn't even screen well, since he typically spins to the side whenever a shot looks like it might come through. Size doesn't help you at all if you're simply standing off to the side of the goalie watching the play.

For what it's worth, I would try Draisaitl in front of the net. He's got great hands and an ability to get to loose pucks. He's got a good sense for when McDavid is going to pass to him, and, as an added bonus, he is also big. I'd have Nugent-Hopkins in Draisaitl's spot and a right shot where Nuge is standing - preferably Puljujarvi, as I think he's got the best shot, but I could be convinced to try Chiasson for a spell, or even Yamamoto.

Lucic is a no-brainer to move to the second unit, because he's showing bad plays every night, and only a couple of good plays on the PP all season.

Also, get him off the ice when the goalie is pulled. Somebody with hands could have tied the game.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #721436 is a reply to message #721433 ]
Wed, 31 October 2018 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 31 October 2018 15:41

Also, get him off the ice when the goalie is pulled. Somebody with hands could have tied the game.

Agreed - that was a defining moment for Lucic. Brilliant pass by McDavid to an option no one even knew was coming in, and he bobbles it off his stick and has to go retrieve on the sideboards.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #721438 is a reply to message #721436 ]
Wed, 31 October 2018 15:57 Go to previous message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 31 October 2018 15:52

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 31 October 2018 15:41

Agreed - that was a defining moment for Lucic. Brilliant pass by McDavid to an option no one even knew was coming in, and he bobbles it off his stick and has to go retrieve on the sideboards.

He definitely lost weight, and looks quicker. But, damn, those hands...exactly the same. I hate how he scoffed at the idea of getting a skills coach in the summer, saying it's just too many voices in your head. Guy clearly needs another voice in his head.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #721419 is a reply to message #721414 ]
Wed, 31 October 2018 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lew19  is currently offline Lew19

No Cups

What amazes me is if we would of won last night we would of been top in the pacific (San Jose had to lose too though). I check the standings this morning, and we are on the outside looking in. Unreal.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #12)
Next Topic:October Predictions
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca