This day on August 16
Departed: Dick Tarnstrom (2006)

Happy Birthday To: devo, Hemsky83, cableguy, shootsaverebound, GoBlues39, ArcticFlyerFan, LovinOil, jackrobert

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching StaffPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714904]
Wed, 23 May 2018 21:09 Go to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

1 Cup

Saw this on twitter tonight; announcement expected shortly with addition of one more to round out the staff

“This in from TSN1260’s Jason Gregor, confirmation that the Oilers have hired Glen Gulutzan and Trent Yawney as asst. coaches, with one more hire to come: “I have it confirmed that Gulutzan and Yawney have signed with the Oilers. There’s another coach they’re going to sign, they’re just waiting, and there will be an announcement with that in the near future.”

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/ edmonton-oilers-hire-two-former-head-coaches-to-help-todd-mc lellan-next-year-gregor-confirms/amp?__twitter_impression=tr ue

2016: We need to get heavier, and we need a defenseman!

2018: We need to get faster, and we need a defenseman!

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714908 is a reply to message #714904 ]
Wed, 23 May 2018 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Worst kept secret for what, a month now? But it is nice to have our next 2 head coaches lined up though.

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714909 is a reply to message #714904 ]
Wed, 23 May 2018 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

If we HAVE TO keep McLellan, I am up for anything that finally kicks him out of his comfort zone. The McLellan gang of buddies finally fell far enough behind the curve last year to become a major detriment in pretty much every aspect of the game that coaches are responsible for.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 May 2018 22:33]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714910 is a reply to message #714904 ]
Wed, 23 May 2018 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

From what I've been reading the past couple of weeks, Yawney seems like a good hire.

This is from an article a month ago from OilersNation:

https://oilersnation.com/2018/04/24/the-way-i-see-it-trent-y awney-mikko-koskinen-and-hockey-helps-the-homeless/

Quote:

From Bob Stauffer, the connected host of Oilers Now: “Trent Yawney has an excellent track record of developing young defenceman. My guess is that he will be a coach that multiple organizations look at. Yawney is a former teammate of Oilers Head Coach Todd McLellan in Saskatoon, spent 3 years as AC with McLellan in SJ. Yawney has been an NHL and AHL HC and oversaw a Ducks PK unit that has been top 5 last 3 seasons. He checks off a lot off boxes here.”

So, Yawney and McLellan are connected as former teammates and behind the bench in San Jose. On top of that, Yawney has a track record of developing D-men and he was in charge of Anaheim’s PK. Having enough talent to work with, of course, has every bit as much to do with success as coaching, but there’s no getting around the results Yawney has enjoyed. I can’t imagine anybody, even the most jaded Oilers’ fan, would have an issue with Yawney as a hire. One thing’s certain, he’ll be in demand.

Stauffer said boxes will be checked if he gets hired, that's a plus around these parts.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714914 is a reply to message #714910 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 23 May 2018 23:01

From what I've been reading the past couple of weeks, Yawney seems like a good hire.

https://oilersnation.com/2018/04/24/the-way-i-see-it-trent-y awney-mikko-koskinen-and-hockey-helps-the-homeless/

Quote:

From Bob Stauffer, the connected host of Oilers Now: “Trent Yawney has an excellent track record of developing young defenceman. My guess is that he will be a coach that multiple organizations look at. Yawney is a former teammate of Oilers Head Coach Todd McLellan in Saskatoon, spent 3 years as AC with McLellan in SJ. Yawney has been an NHL and AHL HC and oversaw a Ducks PK unit that has been top 5 last 3 seasons. He checks off a lot off boxes here.”

So, Yawney and McLellan are connected as former teammates and behind the bench in San Jose. On top of that, Yawney has a track record of developing D-men and he was in charge of Anaheim’s PK. Having enough talent to work with, of course, has every bit as much to do with success as coaching, but there’s no getting around the results Yawney has enjoyed. I can’t imagine anybody, even the most jaded Oilers’ fan, would have an issue with Yawney as a hire. One thing’s certain, he’ll be in demand.

Stauffer said boxes will be checked if he gets hired, that's a plus around these parts.

Only problem is that it's hard to sort out what is different versus what's just water-carrying. All the normal flatterers (Stauffer, Staples, etc.) love this move, but how much impact does an assistant coach have? And which one is the heir apparent after they fire Todd McLellan when they have a disappointing 2018-19 season?

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714916 is a reply to message #714914 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 24 May 2018 08:14

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 23 May 2018 23:01

Quote:

Only problem is that it's hard to sort out what is different versus what's just water-carrying. All the normal flatterers (Stauffer, Staples, etc.) love this move, but how much impact does an assistant coach have? And which one is the heir apparent after they fire Todd McLellan when they have a disappointing 2018-19 season?

Shocker, Adam doesn't like the move.

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714918 is a reply to message #714916 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 24 May 2018 08:20

I don't dislike the move. I don't think it deserves confetti or the love that Staples is showing it. It's assistant coaches. This is the smallest possible move for the organization this summer.

Maybe these guys are fantastic assistant coaches and maybe they'll just be different people helping to push McLellan's mediocre systems. We don't really know how much impact they'll have, but I don't have huge expectations. You'll note that they don't have an award for best assistant coach, because really, they're minor players in the overall scheme of things.

Good news for them though...none of them get a hashtag calling for their heads yet.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714924 is a reply to message #714918 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 24 May 2018 08:43

I don't dislike the move. I don't think it deserves confetti or the love that Staples is showing it. It's assistant coaches. This is the smallest possible move for the organization this summer.

Maybe these guys are fantastic assistant coaches and maybe they'll just be different people helping to push McLellan's mediocre systems. We don't really know how much impact they'll have, but I don't have huge expectations. You'll note that they don't have an award for best assistant coach, because really, they're minor players in the overall scheme of things.

Good news for them though...none of them get a hashtag calling for their heads yet.

Well unless I am mistaken, assistant coaches are usually the ones who are in charge of the special teams. When both your PP and PK are near the bottom of the league, guess what you are probably not going to do very well. From what I read and heard, Johnson was in charge of the PK which sucked. Supposedly McLellan got way more involved in the PK after Christmas and it was better. The Ducks have had one of the best PK's for several years so if Yawney can bring some of what he was doing to the Oilers, their PK should improve and they will win more. I also believe unless I am mistaken, assistants are the ones that work with the players individually because the head coach is the overseer of everything. Yawney did one hell of a job with the Ducks defense. If he can do anything to help the Oilers young defense, that will help them win more.

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714925 is a reply to message #714924 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 24 May 2018 09:36

Well unless I am mistaken, assistant coaches are usually the ones who are in charge of the special teams. When both your PP and PK are near the bottom of the league, guess what you are probably not going to do very well. From what I read and heard, Johnson was in charge of the PK which sucked. Supposedly McLellan got way more involved in the PK after Christmas and it was better. The Ducks have had one of the best PK's for several years so if Yawney can bring some of what he was doing to the Oilers, their PK should improve and they will win more. I also believe unless I am mistaken, assistants are the ones that work with the players individually because the head coach is the overseer of everything. Yawney did one hell of a job with the Ducks defense. If he can do anything to help the Oilers young defense, that will help them win more.

Nope. The head coach is responsible for the powerplay and penalty kill. The assistants can have input, they can draw up plans, they can brainstorm, they can be responsible for communicating the plan to the players, but any head coach who abdicates himself from special teams isn't a guy who should be running your bench. It's a massive part of the game and if you don't have both hands in it up to your elbows, then you're just not doing your job.

If McLellan was truly just giving Johnson and Woodcroft free reign on those two areas of the game and then taking MONTHS to adjust when they clearly weren't working, then McLellan should have been fired for sheer incompetence.

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714953 is a reply to message #714925 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

You mean all that trashing we all did of assistant coaches terrible handling of pk and pp during the season was for nothing?

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714977 is a reply to message #714953 ]
Fri, 25 May 2018 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

overdue wrote on Thu, 24 May 2018 19:12

You mean all that trashing we all did of assistant coaches terrible handling of pk and pp during the season was for nothing?

Yeah, it was in every thread but I guess we were targeting the wrong people.

Apologies to Woodcroft, Hebers and Johnson.

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714927 is a reply to message #714924 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 24 May 2018 08:36

I don't know how much affect the assistant coach actually has or doesn't have in the grand scheme of things because at the end of the day it's the players that need to execute. The narrative out there seems to be about Yawney and the Ducks PK.... Well he had one one of the most effective defensive centers in the league at his disposal in Kesler (gross). Like him or not, we don't have anyone like that anchoring our PK. My "hunch" is Kesler has more impact on the PK than Yawney so let's hope Yawney can find some guys in our roster that can make an impact.

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714915 is a reply to message #714910 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I think this is a good hire. You got 2 guys with head coaching experience but are also experienced assistants. Yawney is excellent on the PK and developed the Ducks defense which is outstanding. I personally do not think it was Gulutzan's fault the Flames didn't make the playoffs. I think it was complete personnel issues. They needed more depth at forward but went out and traded a ton to get a declining Hamonic so they could add him to an already decent defense core. When I listen to the Calgary station talk about the team for several years, they keep talking about how it's a hard group to coach and they have character issues and the key players are soft. Then I listen to the GM come out this season at the end of the year and say similar stuff.

My guess the 3rd guy will be Vivieros. You keep hearing his name, Edmonton guy, he's supposed to be a good offensive and PP guy. Plus Gregor yesterday when he mentioned that Yawney and Gulutzan were confirmed that they had another one but didn't want to announce it yet but said it could come as early as tomorrow. Vivieros has been in the Mem Cup coaching Swift and they had to win last night to stay alive which they didn't. SO until he was eliminated, the Oilers wouldn't announce anything.

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714921 is a reply to message #714915 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Do the Oil have any personnel issues?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714922 is a reply to message #714921 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

LOL - such an Oilers move.

Its never about winning, its always about PR and selling tickets/merch to the next round of sucke....errrrahhhh...fans.

Bold prediction: They will be announced not as simply assistant coaches. But as ASSOCIATE COACHES!! Because this is totally the move that will make the difference.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714931 is a reply to message #714904 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Weird, based on the radio announcement, I thought it was Laurel and Gulutzan

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #715031 is a reply to message #714931 ]
Mon, 28 May 2018 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

JPro wrote on Thu, 24 May 2018 12:09

Weird, based on the radio announcement, I thought it was Laurel and Gulutzan

How did I miss this? icon_lol

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714937 is a reply to message #714904 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Derek Van Diest @DerekVanDiest

#Oilers expected to announce the hiring of assistants Trent Yawney, Glen Gulutzan and Manny Vivieros possibly as early as tomorrow. That's a lot of hockey knowledge on one staff ... #NHL

Guess Manny is gonna be our hope for a competent PP?

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714938 is a reply to message #714937 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 24 May 2018 14:13

#Oilers expected to announce the hiring of assistants Trent Yawney, Glen Gulutzan and Manny Vivieros possibly as early as tomorrow. That's a lot of hockey knowledge on one staff ... #NHL

Are you sure? According to Adam who knows everything, assistants do jack squat with special teams. It's all the head coach apparently. That is completely the opposite of my understand and what I have heard but who am I to disagree with Adam. I am not even sure what the point of an assistant is really.

Weird. Just listening to Gregor's show and Rishaugh and Gregor talking about PP and the Oilers. Gregor brought up the Devils PP and how the Devils assistant coach - Geoff Ward - ran the PP and deployed the players and talked about how Geoff Ward put Hall in a different spot and it worked. Shouldn't that have been John Hynes, the Head Coach because according to Adam, the Head Coach does all the special teams. Then they went onto the Oilers and again, they talked about Woodcroft and how it was his system and he deployed the players. Didn't once mention McLellan and the PP in the same sentence. How can that be because Adam said the head coach does all the special teams.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 May 2018 14:47]

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714939 is a reply to message #714938 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Wow this place has turned into a pessimistic cesspool.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714969 is a reply to message #714939 ]
Fri, 25 May 2018 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 24 May 2018 14:41

Wow this place has turned into a pessimistic cesspool.

You got that right. A person used to be able to come on here and from time to time actually have a good discussion about Oiler related topics. You used to be able to talk about future line ups, potential signings, trades, actual legitimate hockey stuff. Now you go look and virtually every single topic turns into a complaint fest about the Oilers no matter what the topic is.

Except in this site, I have yet to hear or read anything but positives about Yawney as an assistant. His specialty is supposedly the PK and developing dmen. He wasn't fired from the Ducks, he had a year left on his deal with an out clause. He opted out to come to Edmonton. He was an assistant on the Ducks who's been a hell of a team for a while. That team excelled on the PK and have an outstanding, young defense which he helped developed. He worked on the Sharks with McLellan who regardless of their playoff success, they were a hell of a team. He's got experience as an assistant, he has experience as a head coach, he's supposedly highly regarded, he comes from good teams and his expertise is in areas the Oilers need help in. To me, that sounds like a great addition. But what happens in here. He automatically sucks. Adam brings up his limited head coaching record to help illustrate how bad he supposedly is. It doesn't matter that when he was an NHL head coach, the Blackhawks were in their brutal cycle where they were a terrible team for years, attendance was down and that team was the team that got them Toews and Kane because they were so bad. He was the head coach, they didn't win a lot of game, they didn't make the playoffs so that means he's a BAD coach.

Gulltzan has been a head coach for 2 teams and an assistant coach as well. Adam posted his record as a HC in the NHL and AHL. He's got winning records which isn't easy to do. The Dallas team he coaches wasn't very good. but he missed the playoffs so I guess that's all his fault. I didn't think the Calgary team was very good either. The year they made the playoffs under him, his first year, his starting goalie was Brian Elliot. Elliot is NOT an NHL starter. Never has been. He can be a 1A goalie capable of playing more games that most back ups and doing alright but you HAVE to have a goalie equally as good. If you expect Elliot to be your starter, you are screwed. The Flames got swept because Elliot was terrible, absolutely terrible. The Flames this season needed to upgrade their goaltending and needing to upgrade their forwards because their bottom 6 was brutal and they lacked enough top 6 guys. So what do they do? They spend a boat load of assets on a declining, defensive dman in Hamonic who for the Islanders was at best a #4 and they go out and trade for a 35 yr old mediocre starter who is a lock to get injured every year. Then right before camp, they go out and bring in a 46 yr old Jagr. Shockingly, Hamonic isn't very good. Shockingly Smith was decent but got hurt for an extended period of time. Shockingly, Jagr at 46 didn't work out. The Flames were comfortably in a playoff spot all year even though their roster was flawed. Then Smith goes down at a critical time in Feb - the start of the stretch drive - misses 13 games, their goaltending SUCKS because of it and the Flames fall out of the playoffs. But that's all on Gulutzan. I am assuming to get a head coaching job twice in the NHL, you must do something right. But because he signed with the Oilers, he automatically is terrible.

Then they get Viveiros. The supposedly hotly desired, up and coming, PP whiz, offensive guy who works really well with young players. The Oilers have a lot of young players with their best players being 25 and under. The struggled on the PP last year and could use some help offensively. ON paper it seems like he checks off all the boxes as well of addressing a need.

Based on reports, there was significant interest around the league in Yawney, Gulutzan and Viveiros so I am assume the Oilers paid up to get all 3. On paper it looks like the Oilers went out and got 3 guys who address big time needs on the team. None of them have any previous ties to the Oilers as in the old boys club. All of them are from other teams so they should bring some different ideas and a completely new set of eyes. The only ties they have to McLellan is Yawney coached with McLellan years ago and Gulutzan is from Sask. But because they are Oiler hires, they suck.

So I would love to hear who all the hockey guru's in here think would be better hires because as I said, everyone except people on this site that I have heard and read both Edmonton media guys and others from other markets, all say these guys are good.

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714972 is a reply to message #714969 ]
Fri, 25 May 2018 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 May 2018 08:53

He's got winning records which isn't easy to do.

I think you're reading more in to this than there is. I've said quite clearly that I don't hate the moves. I just can't get excited about assistant coaches, and doubt that it's the change that the team really required this year.

I've also pointed out that while there's been talk about having back-up head coaches here in case McLellan continues to fail, none of these guys gives me great confidence as the next head coach.

For the above point, I just thought it worth pointing out that 21 of 31 teams had a winning record this year. Last year, it was 22 of 30. In 2015-16, 22 of 30 teams were .500 or above. In 2014-15, 24 of 30 teams had winning records. The NHL's OT/SO system destroyed .500 as a relevant metric. If you're consistently below that now (hello, Dallas Eakins!) you're shhitaneously bad.

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714985 is a reply to message #714969 ]
Fri, 25 May 2018 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 May 2018 08:53

Except in this site, I have yet to hear or read anything but positives about Yawney as an assistant.

Weird! Stauffer, Gregor, Rishaug and the gang are fans of these moves? I'm shocked.

Quote:

Then they get Viveiros. The supposedly hotly desired, up and coming, PP whiz, offensive guy who works really well with young players.

Just curious - how do you define "up and coming"? I don't think I've ever heard that phrase used to describe someone in their 50s.

Quote:

But because they are Oiler hires, they suck.

Who said that? I mean I guess its easy to poke holes in arguments that no one made but it seems a bit pointless.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714998 is a reply to message #714985 ]
Fri, 25 May 2018 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Jay wrote on Fri, 25 May 2018 13:44

Quote:

Then they get Viveiros. The supposedly hotly desired, up and coming, PP whiz, offensive guy who works really well with young players.

Just curious - how do you define "up and coming"? I don't think I've ever heard that phrase used to describe someone in their 50s.

So uh, Todd used this today in his description of Manny...

"Emmanuel Viveiros is an up-and-coming coach," McLellan said. "He's a mature individual in his 50s, but he's an up-and-coming coach. He has a talent-level that hasn't been tapped yet. He's got a very strong European background, a very offensive defenceman when he played. Very strong power-play sense and results with his European teams as well as his junior teams." http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/former-flames-head-coach -glen-gulutzan-joins-oilers-as-an-assistant-1.4678149

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714999 is a reply to message #714998 ]
Fri, 25 May 2018 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Fri, 25 May 2018 16:02

Quote:

"Emmanuel Viveiros is an up-and-coming coach," McLellan said. "He's a mature individual in his 50s, but he's an up-and-coming coach. He has a talent-level that hasn't been tapped yet. He's got a very strong European background, a very offensive defenceman when he played. Very strong power-play sense and results with his European teams as well as his junior teams." http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/former-flames-head-coach -glen-gulutzan-joins-oilers-as-an-assistant-1.4678149

Some epic box checking today for sure.

I actually think there are decent odds these box checks will result in actual improvement too.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #715001 is a reply to message #714999 ]
Fri, 25 May 2018 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 25 May 2018 16:07

Quote:

I actually think there are decent odds these box checks will result in actual improvement too.

I'm excited for the coaching staff. Now, obviously the on ice product needs to be better but this staff at least creates some excitement.

Chiarelli today, been reading on twitter, had alluded to looking to "tweak" the bottom half and the defence corps and that he's pleased with the core of the team. Both FAs and trades are being looked at.

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #715002 is a reply to message #714999 ]
Fri, 25 May 2018 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Quote:

I love that optimism. I still am baffled by your hashtag...

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #715003 is a reply to message #715002 ]
Fri, 25 May 2018 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 25 May 2018 16:20

Quote:

I'm all in right now to get replaced by #CrudeRemarks

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #715005 is a reply to message #715003 ]
Fri, 25 May 2018 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 25 May 2018 16:21

Adam wrote on Fri, 25 May 2018 16:20

Quote:

I'm all in right now to get replaced by #CrudeRemarks

How about #Mike? He's been a sourpuss since Staios was playing!

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #715047 is a reply to message #715003 ]
Tue, 29 May 2018 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Hey guys what are we complaining about today?

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #715048 is a reply to message #715047 ]
Tue, 29 May 2018 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 29 May 2018 13:02

Hey guys what are we complaining about today?

Well... the word summit came up again. This time from new Assistant Coach Glen Gulutzan;

https://www.google.com/amp/edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl /edmonton-oilers/glen-gulutzan-excited-about-dynamics-of-new -oilers-coaching-staff/amp

“We’re going to have a summit this summer. We’re going to come in here and say ‘This is what I think worked and this is where I think we can make the team better.’

Gully, Yawney and Manny are going to experience their very first Red Wine Summit!

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #715049 is a reply to message #715048 ]
Tue, 29 May 2018 13:25 Go to previous message

No Cups

Mt. Everest had a record number of summits this season as well. Banner year for the summit business!

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #715032 is a reply to message #714998 ]
Mon, 28 May 2018 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim is currently online Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Sounds like Manny might have been a better choice than woodcroft for the condors as HC..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714997 is a reply to message #714969 ]
Fri, 25 May 2018 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Wow that's a long response. Just joking with the "cesspool" bit my man.

I'm not crazy about hiring C-town's coach because he couldn't get secondary scoring from his group, much like the Oilers for much of last year.

I'm not crazy about the Yawney signing because he's Todd's friend and recent history suggests that Todd won't step in early enough if he isn't getting performance from the players. Beyond that I'm not familiar with him.

No idea about the WHL guy.

Generally speaking i'm willing to wait and see with the assistants, mainly because I don't think they were the issue last year. At least not the whole issue. I actually don't even hate Todd, he's an average coach who improved the Oil defensively (vs. Eakins) but likely will never get them over the hump.

But did i mention how much i hate Peter "One for One" Chiarelli, Kevin "6 Cups" Lowe, Craig "Why didn't you quit when they hired Peter for your job? Have some pride man!" Mactavish, and Scott "Back Again" Howson? Because I hate them. They've ruined this team, some multiple times, and yet there they are in cushy jobs, having dinner at Daryl's house.

"Hey guys how's the team going to do this year?"

"Oh it'll be another top 30 finish Mr. Katz."

"Please, call me Daryl. Did you know I went to games in the 80's? Let's hire Andy Moog."

"Great idea Mr. Katz. Can I have a promotion?'

"Done Kevin. Or should I say Vice Admiral Kevin!"

[Updated on: Fri, 25 May 2018 16:02]

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714940 is a reply to message #714938 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 24 May 2018 14:33

Are you sure? According to Adam who knows everything, assistants do jack squat with special teams. It's all the head coach apparently. That is completely the opposite of my understand and what I have heard but who am I to disagree with Adam. I am not even sure what the point of an assistant is really.

Weird. Just listening to Gregor's show and Rishaugh and Gregor talking about PP and the Oilers. Gregor brought up the Devils PP and how the Devils assistant coach - Geoff Ward - ran the PP and deployed the players and talked about how Geoff Ward put Hall in a different spot and it worked. Shouldn't that have been John Hynes, the Head Coach because according to Adam, the Head Coach does all the special teams. Then they went onto the Oilers and again, they talked about Woodcroft and how it was his system and he deployed the players. Didn't once mention McLellan and the PP in the same sentence. How can that be because Adam said the head coach does all the special teams.

I said the head coach is responsible for the special teams. The other guys can dream it up, they can do the implementation, but the head coach better be bought in that it's the right plan.

This whole "it's the assistant's responsibility" suggests that the head coach doesn't have ultimate say. He should be the one deciding what the plan is. If it's not good enough, he needs to ask for changes. Ideally, he should have some sense as to what he wants it to look like and what the philosophy is.

If it's true that he just told Woodcroft and Johnson that that's their pet project and then didn't weigh in on it until Christmas of last year, that's not doing his job.

It's great if you have some guys that have some creativity and can bring more ideas to the table. It is not good if your head coach doesn't take ultimate responsibility since he's going to ultimately get the credit if the team is successful.

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714945 is a reply to message #714940 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 24 May 2018 15:14

I said the head coach is responsible for the special teams. The other guys can dream it up, they can do the implementation, but the head coach better be bought in that it's the right plan.

This whole "it's the assistant's responsibility" suggests that the head coach doesn't have ultimate say. He should be the one deciding what the plan is. If it's not good enough, he needs to ask for changes. Ideally, he should have some sense as to what he wants it to look like and what the philosophy is.

If it's true that he just told Woodcroft and Johnson that that's their pet project and then didn't weigh in on it until Christmas of last year, that's not doing his job.

It's great if you have some guys that have some creativity and can bring more ideas to the table. It is not good if your head coach doesn't take ultimate responsibility since he's going to ultimately get the credit if the team is successful.

The Oilers are now a testing ground to see how much changing assistants can change the methods and belief system of the head coach. I think we have had McLellan with the BFF crew he brought with him pretty damn figured out now. Everything SJ fans warned us about became perfectly clear to us all.

let's see how things go. At least we don't have to complain about wasting McDavid ELC years anymore with these management/coaching experiments in hopeful evolution.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714941 is a reply to message #714938 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Wow. What the heck. I mean... I can’t believe I wasted 39 seconds of my life reading this post. And wasting another 39 seconds replying to it.

Ultimately yes, the assistants will normally ‘run’ the special teams... but ultimately it’s the Head Coach who bears responsibility for his staff and their practices so by that merit Adam is correct in that the Head Coach is RESPONSIBLE for the PP and PK.

#notjustanadamtruther

Edit: Do you understand that even as a clerk at 7-11 your Manager is responsible for you? Yes, your work ethic may be total crap, but your Manager is the one that bears responsibility for you and if you’re not cutting it it’s their responsibility to assist you to get you to do your job or ultimately they are responsible for your firing. It’s simple business man. The Head Coach is responsible for a teams special teams.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 May 2018 16:05]

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714942 is a reply to message #714941 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

https://oilersnation.com/2018/05/24/report-manny-viveiros-to -join-edmonton-oilers-coaching-staff/

Looks like Viveiros will be joining the Oilers staff as well. Good looking coaching staff shaping up here.

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714946 is a reply to message #714941 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 24 May 2018 16:01

Wow. What the heck. I mean... I can’t believe I wasted 39 seconds of my life reading this post. And wasting another 39 seconds replying to it.

Ultimately yes, the assistants will normally ‘run’ the special teams... but ultimately it’s the Head Coach who bears responsibility for his staff and their practices so by that merit Adam is correct in that the Head Coach is RESPONSIBLE for the PP and PK.

#notjustanadamtruther

Edit: Do you understand that even as a clerk at 7-11 your Manager is responsible for you? Yes, your work ethic may be total crap, but your Manager is the one that bears responsibility for you and if you’re not cutting it it’s their responsibility to assist you to get you to do your job or ultimately they are responsible for your firing. It’s simple business man. The Head Coach is responsible for a teams special teams.

For what it's worth, McLellan may have just given total control of special teams to his assistant coaches and then fiddled while Rome burned. If he did, he should be fired for it, but I guess it's possible he didn't have any other ideas so just said "Woody - why don't you be PP guy. I'll only worry about Even Strength!"

I'm curious what about these guys makes people say "that's a great looking coaching staff" other than the fact you've heard a couple of these names previously. Let's look at these guys:

Trent Yawney:
NHL head coaching experience: 103 games - 33-55-15 0 playoff games
AHL head coaching experience: 474 games - 288-218-47 never made out of round two

He's also been an assistant for 8 seasons in the NHL, including for three years for Todd McLellan in San Jose. No team he's been on has ever won.

Glen Gulutzan:
NHL head coaching experience: 294 games - 146-125-23 single playoff series in 4 years
AHL head coaching experience: 160 games - 87-56-17 Finals one yr, 1st rd exit the next
ECHL head coaching experience: 433 games - 254-124-55 one finals, 3 semis, 1 1st rd exit, 1 yr missing playoffs

Also two years as a player/assistant coach in the WCHL.

Manny Viveiros:
WHL head coaching experience: 144 games - 87-40-17 won WHL this year, last yr 2nd round loss.
Austrian coaching experience: 54 GP - 38-12-4 - and that was a long time ago. No idea what he did for 7 seasons in between.

If the team stumbled out of the gate next year, which one of these guys would you want to see take over as the head coach? Two have no record of success at the NHL level (and middling results in lower leagues). The other has almost no experience anywhere.

It's assistant coaches, so there's a limit to how much we need to worry about this (other than the fact that the Oilers don't ever run serious hiring processes, so one of these three is most likely the next head coach) but it's not like any of these guys looks to be the next Jon Cooper.

Re: Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff [message #714947 is a reply to message #714938 ]
Thu, 24 May 2018 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Adam said assistant coaches do jack squat? Perhaps you skipped over this part..

”The assistants can have input, they can draw up plans, they can brainstorm, they can be responsible for communicating the plan to the players.”

Nice tantrum though..

Limecat Logic

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha
Next Topic:Oilers sign Koskinen
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca