F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » trade deadline 2017Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687846 is a reply to message #686123 ]
Tue, 28 February 2017 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Lebrun and Bobby Mac saying Jannik Hansen to the Sharks...

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687859 is a reply to message #687846 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

While it's still early, the questions are still there.

Will we get a backup goaltender?

If a team like LA is getting a starter to supplement a Vezina calibre goaltender, then we should at the very least look for a backup on a current team who is close to being out no? Halak (but he has term), Howard (again term), one of the Dallas goalies, a Buffalo backup, Neuvirth, Miller, Pavelec?

Do we upgrade our middle 6 Forward core; particularly RW?

Maybe that means going after a Vanek or Vrbata? Maybe Lazar is an option? Most likely if anything, looking at a guy like Stafford, Sobotka, or Parenteau. Honeslty, I'd love Iginla icon_wink

Can we finally get a Defenceman who can make the PP work?

There's Streit (NTC), Del Zotto, or maybe Franson. But nobody really out there that can be a bottom 6 D man who can play 1st line PP. If you can get Streit, I do it.

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687860 is a reply to message #687859 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mazankowski wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 08:16

If a team like LA is getting a starter to supplement a Vezina calibre goaltender, then we should at the very least look for a backup on a current team who is close to being out no? Halak (but he has term), Howard (again term), one of the Dallas goalies, a Buffalo backup, Neuvirth, Miller, Pavelec?

Maybe that means going after a Vanek or Vrbata? Maybe Lazar is an option? Most likely if anything, looking at a guy like Stafford, Sobotka, or Parenteau. Honeslty, I'd love Iginla icon_wink

There's Streit (NTC), Del Zotto, or maybe Franson. But nobody really out there that can be a bottom 6 D man who can play 1st line PP. If you can get Streit, I do it.

The answer to these three questions... No. PC doesn't want to disturb the chemistry.
doh

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687861 is a reply to message #687860 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 06:18

mazankowski wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 08:16

The answer to these three questions... No. PC doesn't want to disturb the chemistry.
doh

And I get that sometimes the best trades are the ones you never make. But the cost in acquisition for these pieces would seem to be so small, and the roles not being major, that chemistry isn't even a question. Come on Chiarelli!!! LA added, ANA added, SJ added, lets add!!!

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687863 is a reply to message #687861 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mazankowski wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 08:22

And I get that sometimes the best trades are the ones you never make. But the cost in acquisition for these pieces would seem to be so small, and the roles not being major, that chemistry isn't even a question. Come on Chiarelli!!! LA added, ANA added, SJ added, lets add!!!

Oh that is very true, the best deal made is sometimes the one that isn't finalized. With the 666 line finally starting to make noise together, our top 6 is set;

Maroon-McDavid-Drai
Lucic-Nuge-Eberle

Our bottom 6... quite a few bodies, really like Khaira's tempo and overall game. He likely gets sent down or kept in the PB though with the Desharnais acquistion. Rishaug is saying (he guesses) focus is shifted to 3rd/4th line rental winger... WHAT IF! Now, call me crazy. But... Iginla. Yeah. He's up there. But a 3rd line of, Pouliot-Letestu-Iginla could prove dynamite down the stretch and in the post-season. Let's be honest, Pouliot is a gamer when the beards start growing. This would then provide a 4th line of Slep-Desharnais-Kassian, big bodied wingers with the aging centre. Khaira sent down, while Caggiula/Hendricks/Pak view from above and are ready to go.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687875 is a reply to message #687863 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

Elliotte Friedman
EDM trying to move remaining cap hit for Andrew Ference ($3.25M), up at the end of this season. Would create flexibility.

Mentioned on TSN that Draisaitl looking to hit his bonuses would impact Edmonton being able to add a winger today and would need to get creative.

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687876 is a reply to message #687875 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

McDavid97 wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 10:27

Elliotte Friedman
EDM trying to move remaining cap hit for Andrew Ference ($3.25M), up at the end of this season. Would create flexibility.

Mentioned on TSN that Draisaitl looking to hit his bonuses would impact Edmonton being able to add a winger today and would need to get creative.

Perhaps to Arizona for Vrbata?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687880 is a reply to message #687875 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

McDavid97 wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 09:27

Elliotte Friedman

Thanks MacT!

Thank goodness his contract wasn't bought out last year. Could you imagine if the Oilers had 1/3 of that albatross around their neck for another two seasons eating cap space while their Stanley Cup window was open? Shudder.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687882 is a reply to message #687880 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 09:47

Elliotte Friedman

Thanks MacT!

Thank goodness his contract wasn't bought out last year. Could you imagine if the Oilers had 1/3 of that albatross around their neck for another two seasons eating cap space while their Stanley Cup window was open? Shudder.

To be fair, the topic of bonuses is not MacT's fault :) Actually, thanks to GeniusT, we will get cost certainty with Drai next season instead of the question mark if he will get 800k of bonuses or 2.5M of bonuses. Of course that certainty is likely 3M higher than even the worst case today, lol.

Drai is right on the edge now of that extra 1.7M of bonuses. Think he needs a few more points or a couple more goals to break the top 10 in a category to get his full schedule B bonus.

I think max McDavid bonuses (guaranteed pretty much) and max Drai bonuses will give us a penalty for next season if all things stay the same today.

Capfriendly says we have $4,436,657 of projected end of year cap space. Full McDavid bonuses leaves us with $1,586,657. Drai's full bonus is 2.475M. So, ~900k penalty. Doh.

Wonder if the bonus situation played a part in Pulju's handling. Kid never really got a fair shot in an offensive role. And we honestly couldn't have afforded to give him one :)

[Updated on: Wed, 01 March 2017 09:56]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687892 is a reply to message #687875 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Elliotte Friedman

Can someone explain to me why teams want to add salary?

Like didn't Arizona take Chris Pronger's contract too? Do they get some sort of tax rebate in the end, I dont get it.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687899 is a reply to message #687892 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 09:44

Elliotte Friedman

Like didn't Arizona take Chris Pronger's contract too? Do they get some sort of tax rebate in the end, I dont get it.

If you help a team in their attempt to free up salary by taking a bad contract, then that allows them to make other moves. This is a benefit for them and they are willing to pay for it with draft picks or a prospect usually. It's a win win for both teams, but the team retaining the big money usually is a team like Toronto, or in the case of AZ, Datsyuk did not play for them, so the cap hit was the only thing they took on, not his actual salary.

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687902 is a reply to message #687892 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 10:44

Elliotte Friedman

My understanding for our situation is that we have $3.25M cap burden that only be used with an existing player using that space. It does not carry over. So If we signed someone day 1 at $3.25M it would be a wash since Ference is paid by insurance and we can use his cap hit on another player.

If you signed/traded a guy half way through the season and the remaining cap of ferences say is $2M and you sign a guy that is to be paid $3M for the rest of the season, you can't use the $1.25M that was lost already as those days past.

So basically if someone takes it on as long as they aren't going to be over the cap it doesn't matter for them as insurance is paying the dollar value and they aren't using that cap space.

The reason the Oilers want to trade it is because bonuses come in at the year end and Ference cap doesn't help them out with it. So if they trade it now with 18 games remaining we actually would create approximately $700,000 in room for bonuses.

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687908 is a reply to message #687902 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

If Iginla goes for a 4th or 5th round pick or a fringe prospect, I'll be a little jealous of LA.

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687926 is a reply to message #687908 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

What about Foligno in Buffalo as our 3rd line winger option? He is 25 years old, makes $2.25 million, is an RFA this summer & is 6'3", 225 lbs. He is having a little below average year and maybe could be had for some picks? He plays either wing which is nice & has some good speed. I don't know what Buffalo thinks of his future, but maybe .......

3rd rd pick, Dillion Simpson & dump Ference's contract

For

M. Foligno

Just spit balling, but I really like what he would bring to our 3rd line.

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687929 is a reply to message #687926 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Jakey wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 11:13

What about Foligno in Buffalo as our 3rd line winger option? He is 25 years old, makes $2.25 million, is an RFA this summer & is 6'3", 225 lbs. He is having a little below average year and maybe could be had for some picks? He plays either wing which is nice & has some good speed. I don't know what Buffalo thinks of his future, but maybe .......

For

M. Foligno

Totally agree Jakey, he would be a great addition. Would be a far better 3rd line winger than Slepyshev IMO. What it would take though is probably quite a bit if you look at rentals going for quite a bit and Lazar apparently commanding a 2nd rounder.

I'd make Slepyshev available in that deal in all honesty.

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687933 is a reply to message #687929 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

mazankowski wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 12:24

Jakey wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 11:13

For

M. Foligno

Totally agree Jakey, he would be a great addition. Would be a far better 3rd line winger than Slepyshev IMO. What it would take though is probably quite a bit if you look at rentals going for quite a bit and Lazar apparently commanding a 2nd rounder.

Ya that is the hard part to figure out for sure. He has been there for about 6 years & will be a UFA in 2 years, so maybe they would be open to moving him for a little overpay?

Maybe
2 x 3rd picks, plus Ference's cap hit & a middling prospect like Oesterle for Foligno?

I'd make Slepyshev available in that deal in all honesty.

Maybe 2 x 3rd picks, Ference Contract & Oesterle for Foligno gets it done? Definite overpay, but nothing too crazy IMO

[Updated on: Wed, 01 March 2017 12:41]

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687927 is a reply to message #687875 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

THIS makes the Desharnais trade even more inexplicable ...

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687939 is a reply to message #687927 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

John Shannon tweeting Flames in on Vrbata. If we are the only team in the Pacific to not get better, there's something wrong.

Also, I know it's Eklund, but he's saying Chara rumours are starting. My lord, if he's available, get on it Chiarelli!

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687948 is a reply to message #687939 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Maybe the Oilers will be in on him?

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687956 is a reply to message #687948 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

McDavid97 wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 12:59

Well it seems like a dud for the Oilers this time around. With the low cost to acquire assets I'm surprised we couldn't build up our RW or RD for cheap.

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687965 is a reply to message #687956 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

McDavid97 wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 13:20

Well it seems like a dud for the Oilers this time around. With the low cost to acquire assets I'm surprised we couldn't build up our RW or RD for cheap.

So low cost trades for RW
Jarome Iginla (50% retained) for a conditional 2018 4th rounder
NJ trades Parenteau to NSH for 6th round pick
Drew Stafford for conditional 6th

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687967 is a reply to message #687965 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Pretty disappointing weren't able to make a deal for any of Sharp, Vrabata, Iginla, Doan, Hemsky, Stafford or Parenteau. Any one of those guys would of been a good veteran pick up for a mid level pick.

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687968 is a reply to message #687965 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

McDavid97 wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 12:35

That's the disheartening thing. In a weak draft, give up a 3rd for Vrbata! Or give a 5th for one of the options mentioned above.

The problem that we ran into was the cap situation though, and no felxibility.

Re: trade deadline 2017 [message #687969 is a reply to message #687968 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 13:44 Go to previous message

1 Cup

mazankowski wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 13:40

McDavid97 wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 12:35

That's the disheartening thing. In a weak draft, give up a 3rd for Vrbata! Or give a 5th for one of the options mentioned above.

The problem that we ran into was the cap situation though, and no felxibility.

Sounds like the problem from Vrbata is the cap.

CONTRACT NOTE: If Vrbata plays 30 games $500,000 in bonuses. If he reaches 20 goals or 40 points he’ll earn another $500,000. Also can add up to 1,250,000 more in play-off performance bonuses.

I don't think any bonuses he would get paid after he gets traded is split, so with us being tight against the cap it's an issue.

If Philly can get rid of Filppula for a conditional 7th and save $5M we should have been able to do something.

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]  
Previous Topic:Oilers Shopping List According to Matheson
Next Topic:Eberle
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca