Tue, 10 October 2023 09:51 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 08 October 2023 13:27

Adam wrote on Sat, 07 October 2023 16:38

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 07 October 2023 13:39

Adam wrote on Sat, 07 October 2023 13:17

RDOilerfan wrote on Sat, 07 October 2023 07:25

I think who starts in goal game 1 is going to be an indication to me what this season is all about to the team especially the coaches. Are we here to win or we'd like to win but we have people's feelings in mind.

I am a big fan of Skinner, I think he's their future starter for a very long time. He rightly took over the job when Campbell buckled. But Skinner is young and still developing. In the playoffs, I thought they should have started Campbell at least once because he was playing better and this preseason, it hasn't been close. While Skinner has been fine, Campbell has been unreal. He's given up 3 total goals in 3 games. 2 of those game, the Oilers dressed the Condors vs an NHL line up and Campbell stole 2 games.

I think this season, the play is to have a true platoon. They need both guys going, with the travel, they need both guys fresh so I would have the split pretty even. But for game 1, Campbell deserves it. The contract means nothing. He's clearly done the work and did MAJOR changes. I get it's preseason but he's night and day right now. He out in the time and effort, they have to recognize that and reward him with opening night.

I'll never find it not funny that people can get SOOOO excited about pre-season results. Peter White was going to be the next great player in the league! Dean McAmmond was just about to have his true breakout year! Campbell has clearly rediscovered his game!!!

You're playing against minor leaguers and pros who are just trying not to get hurt. Draw no conclusions from exhibition play.

Going by playoffs at the moment. And pre-season almost exactly mirrored it for one position on our team :)

I do think Woody starting the year with Skinner over Campbell would be an odd decision.

I can agree with that. I just think some of the commentary suggesting he's bounced back is a little over the top right now. It's like looking at your tandem of Ben Scrivens and Victor Fasth and declaring the box checked...

I may be misreading some of the posts, but I don’t think anyone believes we know if Campbell has rediscovered his game, but he has outplayed Skinner. I have next to no trust in Campbell, but with his fragile ego I think you need to reward him with starts when he’s playing well.

Right now he’s deserving of starting the opening game. I would live to have a 50/50 or 60/40 tandem like Boston had last year.

I don't disagree that I'd start Campbell game 1, but there are Edmonton media guys, and the couple of people in here that love to parrot what they say faithfully who are suggesting that Campbell just worked hard all summer, and that's why he's been so good.

That ignores that he did have SOME good stretches last year (although surrounded by bad ones) and that pre-season competition is not a good measuring stick. They're selling more hope here, where I think that at best only cautious optimism is deserved.

I think Skinner didn't look good in pre-season, but again, it's pre-season so would not make any sweeping judgements on him solely based on that.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:2023 Training Camp
Next Topic:Connor McDavid wins his 3rd Hart Trophy
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca