This day on May 18
None

Happy Birthday To: Johnny Upton, Oil and Spuds, pdechant, mrdrolet

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799010]
Wed, 02 February 2022 19:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Washington to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799020 is a reply to message #799010 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Give me one, gimme two, give me fire give me NUUUUUUUGE!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799023 is a reply to message #799020 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 02 February 2022 19:44

Give me one, gimme two, give me fire give me NUUUUUUUGE!

...that win was NUUUUGE. (sorry icon_biggrin )

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799025 is a reply to message #799023 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Lose to Ottawa, beat the Caps. Sounds about right.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799021 is a reply to message #799010 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k is currently online g2k

2 Cups

I didn’t think they were going to win this game.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799022 is a reply to message #799021 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

...it was always in doubt. icon_nod

But I don't want to critique a win too much. TWO valuable points. god

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799027 is a reply to message #799010 ]
Wed, 02 February 2022 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Two big points to take into the all star break. 5-0-1 in the last 6 and getting their #1 tendy back after the break... life’s good boys. Keep marching towards the BoA first round playoff series (where we collectively age 30 years)

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799037 is a reply to message #799027 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

The Nuge/Hyman short handed goal literally killed the crowd. I loved it.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799043 is a reply to message #799027 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 02 February 2022 20:34

Two big points to take into the all star break. 5-0-1 in the last 6 and getting their #1 tendy back after the break... life’s good boys. Keep marching towards the BoA first round playoff series (where we collectively age 30 years)

Lordy no, I might as well start picking out a pine box, I dunno if I have 30 years!

icon_lol

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799045 is a reply to message #799043 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I love me those 2 points. They came out super strong, Caps came on and started to try to run them out of a building. They weathered the storm, found a way to win. Doesn't matter how, just win baby! Getting 11 out of a possible 12 points, I will take that!

A bit off topic. What happened to this team? For a better part of a month, this team might have struggled to beat an ECHL team. Goalies couldn't stop a beach ball. PK couldn't stop anything. PP dried up. McD and Leon couldn't score or at times handle the puck. Other guys couldn't make a 2 foot pass. If there was a bad bounce to be had, it happened to the Oilers and they got zero bounces. It was bad and they looked totally defeated and ready to just roll over and die.

I am not a Tippett lover and I think if the day comes and they win a cup, he won't be the coach, I am not even sure he's here next season with his contract being up. But for now, he's still here so I don't see them dramatically changing their systems. All the assistants are still here. The same goalie coach is here. They did get a few guys back from injury and added Kane but the roster is basically the same and even the lines aren't that different. They started playing better before Kane was an Oiler and before Nuge and Hyman were back. So it's not just those few guys playing. I don't think magically Tippett and the coaches all of a sudden got just dramatically better so something mentally happened to these guys for a month and they just switched off some things because this team while still not perfect is night and day different with not a hell of a lot changing other than whatever it was they all clicked on in their heads.

I find it kind of frustrating that they let it go on as long as they did when in my opinion, it sure looks like they could have changed things if they wanted too.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799046 is a reply to message #799045 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I know some people have an issue with Kane but he proved his worth to me last night.

Got a goal which was him going to the net, using that big frame and tipping in a goal. Something the Oilers didn't do enough of.

On the ice late in the game, broke up a play, sent Nuge in for the empty netter. So a 2 pt night.

3 shots on goal.

7 hits.

Biggest thing for me. McD took a hard hit and he went right over, got in the guys face, challenged him. It got addressed immediately which in my opinion, had to happen and should always happen when your best guys get run. 3 weeks ago, if that same play happened, no one would have done anything and if they did, it would have been way, way late which is pointless.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799049 is a reply to message #799045 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 08:47

I love me those 2 points. They came out super strong, Caps came on and started to try to run them out of a building. They weathered the storm, found a way to win. Doesn't matter how, just win baby! Getting 11 out of a possible 12 points, I will take that!

A bit off topic. What happened to this team? For a better part of a month, this team might have struggled to beat an ECHL team. Goalies couldn't stop a beach ball. PK couldn't stop anything. PP dried up. McD and Leon couldn't score or at times handle the puck. Other guys couldn't make a 2 foot pass. If there was a bad bounce to be had, it happened to the Oilers and they got zero bounces. It was bad and they looked totally defeated and ready to just roll over and die.

I am not a Tippett lover and I think if the day comes and they win a cup, he won't be the coach, I am not even sure he's here next season with his contract being up. But for now, he's still here so I don't see them dramatically changing their systems. All the assistants are still here. The same goalie coach is here. They did get a few guys back from injury and added Kane but the roster is basically the same and even the lines aren't that different. They started playing better before Kane was an Oiler and before Nuge and Hyman were back. So it's not just those few guys playing. I don't think magically Tippett and the coaches all of a sudden got just dramatically better so something mentally happened to these guys for a month and they just switched off some things because this team while still not perfect is night and day different with not a hell of a lot changing other than whatever it was they all clicked on in their heads.

I find it kind of frustrating that they let it go on as long as they did when in my opinion, it sure looks like they could have changed things if they wanted too.

I think there were several things working against them and it got in their headspace. On 90% of other teams with similar expectations to the Oilers, maybe 100%, the coach is replaced. I hope they can find consistency and limit losses to streaks of 1 game, but given some of the remaining flaws, it is hard to say if they find that. Nice little run in the last 6, but I wouldn't be super shocked if it can go the other way again. The next game against Vegas is pretty large.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799052 is a reply to message #799049 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 09:30

I think there were several things working against them and it got in their headspace. On 90% of other teams with similar expectations to the Oilers, maybe 100%, the coach is replaced. I hope they can find consistency and limit losses to streaks of 1 game, but given some of the remaining flaws, it is hard to say if they find that. Nice little run in the last 6, but I wouldn't be super shocked if it can go the other way again. The next game against Vegas is pretty large.

Just strange to me. If they fired the coach and went on this run and look like a completely different team, everyone would point to the coach being the issue. They didn't and they went on this run and look like a different team. So while I don't think Tippett is the answer for them coaching wise, pretty clear to me a lot of their issues were between the ears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799054 is a reply to message #799052 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 09:42

Just strange to me. If they fired the coach and went on this run and look like a completely different team, everyone would point to the coach being the issue. They didn't and they went on this run and look like a different team. So while I don't think Tippett is the answer for them coaching wise, pretty clear to me a lot of their issues were between the ears.

It is the same team, with the same flaws, with a little more luck and some weaker opposition. The team has seen some streaks this year, but they were never as good as the record showed early in the year. They were probably unlucky not to win one or two more in the bad stretch, and they've just won games they should the last little while.

Tippett still has the same issues. He doesn't make adjustments well, his system surrenders high danger chances at an alarming rate. There were a few more last night - and it highlights a challenge. To be successful, we need goalies playing really well, and yet, the team was poorly constructed, so goaltending isn't an organizational strength. We have roster weakness in the defence corps as well, so then chances of this team making a long run in the playoffs still looks like a long shot at this point. We'll see if the GM gets off his hands long enough to address the goaltending, or if they just get one good game from Smith, declare the box checked and then are shocked when he either gets hurt or falls apart post-deadline.

This team, despite the wins in the last 10 days, isn't where it should be and management and coaches still deserve to get the axe.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799061 is a reply to message #799054 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 10:19

It is the same team, with the same flaws, with a little more luck and some weaker opposition. The team has seen some streaks this year, but they were never as good as the record showed early in the year. They were probably unlucky not to win one or two more in the bad stretch, and they've just won games they should the last little while.

Tippett still has the same issues. He doesn't make adjustments well, his system surrenders high danger chances at an alarming rate. There were a few more last night - and it highlights a challenge. To be successful, we need goalies playing really well, and yet, the team was poorly constructed, so goaltending isn't an organizational strength. We have roster weakness in the defence corps as well, so then chances of this team making a long run in the playoffs still looks like a long shot at this point. We'll see if the GM gets off his hands long enough to address the goaltending, or if they just get one good game from Smith, declare the box checked and then are shocked when he either gets hurt or falls apart post-deadline.

This team, despite the wins in the last 10 days, isn't where it should be and management and coaches still deserve to get the axe.

They beat Calgary, Nashville and the Caps. All teams who are pretty good. Beat up on a real bad Habs team. Beat Van who they absolutely dominated, got 60 shots and their goalie was unreal but those same Canucks who's been improve took Florida to a shoot out, had beat the Caps and Nash and then beat the Jets after the Oilers game and took Calgary to OT. So I wouldn't say their competition was overly weak.

Just making the observation that while Tippett I don't think is the answer and has his flaws, the woes the team had that caused some in the fan base to want to tar and feather basically everyone, in my opinion, a lot falls on the guys on the ice not doing their jobs.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799067 is a reply to message #799061 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 10:50

They beat Calgary, Nashville and the Caps. All teams who are pretty good. Beat up on a real bad Habs team. Beat Van who they absolutely dominated, got 60 shots and their goalie was unreal but those same Canucks who's been improve took Florida to a shoot out, had beat the Caps and Nash and then beat the Jets after the Oilers game and took Calgary to OT. So I wouldn't say their competition was overly weak.

Just making the observation that while Tippett I don't think is the answer and has his flaws, the woes the team had that caused some in the fan base to want to tar and feather basically everyone, in my opinion, a lot falls on the guys on the ice not doing their jobs.

I know you desperately want to give Ken Holland a free pass - but if the players aren't doing their job - who was the one who chose all those players? If goaltending inconsistency is the biggest issue, who chose the goalies?

I don't want to "tar and feather everyone". I just want to see competency from the team's management and coaching. I think if we started with that, you'd see a lot less times when for a full six weeks "the player's just weren't doing their jobs".

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799071 is a reply to message #799067 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 11:07

I know you desperately want to give Ken Holland a free pass - but if the players aren't doing their job - who was the one who chose all those players? If goaltending inconsistency is the biggest issue, who chose the goalies?

I don't want to "tar and feather everyone". I just want to see competency from the team's management and coaching. I think if we started with that, you'd see a lot less times when for a full six weeks "the player's just weren't doing their jobs".

You got me Adam, you are so right. I am just here to give Holland a free pass and say how perfect he is. Doesn't matter I have said in I don't know how many threads countless times how the roster isn't good enough, it has holes, it's flawed, mention the goaltending needs to be better, need different guys. Hell, I even said the roster is flawed in the post you referenced right here. But you got me, just here to say Holland is perfect. You keep making crap up for me. icon_thumbsup

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799073 is a reply to message #799061 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Goaltending went from mediocre to abysmal. Special teams fell off a cliff. Injuries, covid. The Hart guys went cold. Errors in the D zone. I'd say some of that is on players, some on deployment and systemic response to adversity by the coach and staff.

I expect the tar & feathering, when there are expectations and the team sucks as much as it did for a month and a half, there's more than one thing going on and the fingers are pointing everywhere. All that aside, anyone expecting Holland to get canned was dreaming, anyone expecting Holland to somehow find another home for Koskinen and somehow competence in return was dreaming, or for a deal for a top 4 D. I find it amazing that Tippett is still behind the bench though.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799082 is a reply to message #799073 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 13:33 Go to previous message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 03 February 2022 12:45

Goaltending went from mediocre to abysmal. Special teams fell off a cliff. Injuries, covid. The Hart guys went cold. Errors in the D zone. I'd say some of that is on players, some on deployment and systemic response to adversity by the coach and staff.

100% agree with you. Blame is on all sides in my opinion. Management made some bets on guys that haven't worked out and didn't address some areas they should have so those are mistakes they have to wear and need to find a way to fix but watching them play, there is still way too many key guys making dumb mistakes that need to get cleaned up as well.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51) [message #799069 is a reply to message #799010 ]
Thu, 03 February 2022 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

Didn’t see that one coming. I’ll take it, but they stole one there

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Previous Topic:Gene Principie Gets Cut..
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Washington (Game #51)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca