This day on February 27
Acquired: Ryan O'Marra (2007) Robert Nilsson (2007)
Departed: Ryan Smyth (2007)

Happy Birthday To: Scott717257, Slug, oilgal, gretzky9994, Oiler Prime, BlueLineKing7, Stawny, Smyth_Legend, kbell, ajd_19, Aussie_Oil

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » 2020-21 Oilers Roster
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 2020-21 Oilers Roster [message #749999]
Fri, 20 December 2019 12:33 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Here's a quick look at the roster as it currently stands for next year:

Forwards

Draisaitl McDavid XXXX
Neal Nugent-Hopkins XXXX
Khaira XXXX Chiasson
XXXX XXXXX XXXX
XXXX XXXX

$36.1MM tied up on these six players. Eight spots still to fill, either by signings or promotions from the farm. Of the expiring UFA contracts, I don't see anyone outside of Kassian getting a lot of attention from the Oilers as someone they need to bring back. I expect the team will be forced to move a couple guys from the farm up, as that's a lot of spots to fill. Unfortunately, we're not a team blessed with any great offensive players who are currently lighting up the AHL and pushing up to the NHL roster.

Defence

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse (RFA) Bear (RFA)
Russell Benning (RFA)
Jones (RFA)

The opposite problem from the forwards. $12.3MM currently committed to three guys, but everyone else needs a new contract and they're all RFAs. Nurse is getting a big raise, and the amount the team has played Bear, he's probably getting a big bump too. If we want to change the defence at all, someone has to go. I could see any of Russell, Benning or Jones being moved, although maybe that's just wishful thinking on Russell who stands out as being far over-priced for what he brings to the table.

Goalies

Koskinen
XXXX

No one will miss Mike Smith here, but I really don't know what the Oilers do here. At $4.5MM, Koskinen would be a very expensive back-up, and while there's a lot of goalies hitting free agency this summer, there's a lot of risk to most of them. A lot of 30+ guys with mixed results. Holtby has a Cup win, but he's going to get paid big, and he may be declining. Lehner has great stats again in Chicago, but he's got baggage (and he hates shootouts). Markstrom having a good year in Vancouver, but is it a one-off? Thomas Greiss is shining in Long Island - but he's 34. Halak is a year older in Boston. Maybe Francouz from Colorado on a shorter deal if he's still available?

There's options there, just no slam dunks and the Oilers have so much tied up in Koskinen that they can't really afford to overpay someone else too.

The good news is that there's roster flexibility. The team will only have about $57.5MM committed cap room going in to the summer, and there's talk the cap could go up a full 5% this year, which would mean there's $26-27MM of space there.

The flip side of that is that they need so many guys that it will be hard to find enough decent candidates - especially if players need a premium to come here (which they might - the Oilers have sucked a long time and we retain guys like Nicholson and Lowe atop the organization, always there ready to help us suck hard once more).

It's impossible to understate just how important next summer is - and it will be interesting to see if it's possible to re-fill that many spots in a way that leaves us a competent, competitive roster. Holland has his job cut out for him...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2020-21 Oilers Roster [message #750001 is a reply to message #749999 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 12:33

Forwards

Draisaitl McDavid XXXX
Neal Nugent-Hopkins XXXX
Khaira XXXX Chiasson
XXXX XXXXX XXXX
XXXX XXXX

$36.1MM tied up on these six players. Eight spots still to fill, either by signings or promotions from the farm. Of the expiring UFA contracts, I don't see anyone outside of Kassian getting a lot of attention from the Oilers as someone they need to bring back. I expect the team will be forced to move a couple guys from the farm up, as that's a lot of spots to fill. Unfortunately, we're not a team blessed with any great offensive players who are currently lighting up the AHL and pushing up to the NHL roster.

Defence

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse (RFA) Bear (RFA)
Russell Benning (RFA)
Jones (RFA)

The opposite problem from the forwards. $12.3MM currently committed to three guys, but everyone else needs a new contract and they're all RFAs. Nurse is getting a big raise, and the amount the team has played Bear, he's probably getting a big bump too. If we want to change the defence at all, someone has to go. I could see any of Russell, Benning or Jones being moved, although maybe that's just wishful thinking on Russell who stands out as being far over-priced for what he brings to the table.

Goalies

Koskinen
XXXX

No one will miss Mike Smith here, but I really don't know what the Oilers do here. At $4.5MM, Koskinen would be a very expensive back-up, and while there's a lot of goalies hitting free agency this summer, there's a lot of risk to most of them. A lot of 30+ guys with mixed results. Holtby has a Cup win, but he's going to get paid big, and he may be declining. Lehner has great stats again in Chicago, but he's got baggage (and he hates shootouts). Markstrom having a good year in Vancouver, but is it a one-off? Thomas Greiss is shining in Long Island - but he's 34. Halak is a year older in Boston. Maybe Francouz from Colorado on a shorter deal if he's still available?

There's options there, just no slam dunks and the Oilers have so much tied up in Koskinen that they can't really afford to overpay someone else too.

The good news is that there's roster flexibility. The team will only have about $57.5MM committed cap room going in to the summer, and there's talk the cap could go up a full 5% this year, which would mean there's $26-27MM of space there.

The flip side of that is that they need so many guys that it will be hard to find enough decent candidates - especially if players need a premium to come here (which they might - the Oilers have sucked a long time and we retain guys like Nicholson and Lowe atop the organization, always there ready to help us suck hard once more).

It's impossible to understate just how important next summer is - and it will be interesting to see if it's possible to re-fill that many spots in a way that leaves us a competent, competitive roster. Holland has his job cut out for him...

I'm not really worried about the top line winger... Chaisson scored over twenty up there, so basically anyone can fill that role.

The second line centre, Chaisson, Larsson, and the third line center, are of concern. The other positions are easy to fill, and would just required a re-up of existing players. I do agree the Bear and Darnel are going cost big.

Our 3 RW could be better, and if Chiasson isn't going to pot 12 to 15, we need to do better. That second line RW (17 to 25 goals), is going to be much harder to fill, and oddly, far more expensive than the first line RW.

Realistically, Larsson needs to be on the third line, and I don't see a good top d-man coming Edmonton's way for under $8M.

Draisaitl McDavid XXXX
Neal Nugent-Hopkins XXXX
Khaira XXXX Chiasson
XXXX XXXXX XXXX
XXXX XXXX

$36 (for the 6) + $3 for the 1RW, + $5 for the 2RW + $3.5 for the 3C + $4M for the bottom 5 (average) = $52ish

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse (RFA) Bear (RFA)
Russell Benning (RFA)
Jones (RFA)

Klef $4.2 + $4.2 Lars + $4 Russ + $7 Nurse + $3.5 Bear + $2.5 Someone Better than Benning + $1.5 Jones or Better + $1 Tweener

That's $28ish

Goal

Mikko + Backup = $6.5

Zombie corpses = $4.7

That works out to near $91M. The cap will be $85!

So: -$1M no 8D -$2 cheaper 2RW -$0.5 cheaper 3C = $87.5

Basically, we are messed and hoping someone for the minors can make a splash and not get paid for it until next year/contract.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 December 2019 12:58]

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: 2020-21 Oilers Roster [message #750002 is a reply to message #749999 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 20 December 2019 12:33

Forwards

Draisaitl McDavid XXXX
Neal Nugent-Hopkins XXXX
Khaira XXXX Chiasson
XXXX XXXXX XXXX
XXXX XXXX

Defence

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse (RFA) Bear (RFA)
Russell Benning (RFA)
Jones (RFA)

Goalies

Koskinen
XXXX

Need to do what you can to get Russell off this roster. Hope after his bonus is paid he is an easy guy to move (1.5M salary with 4M cap hit).

If the plan is to toss money at Hall, Holland has to figure out how to make some trades to fill this roster out a bit more. #3C is a must, and maybe Benson is ready to play wing with whoever that is. Need more successful hits on free agents for a 4th line. I don't mind doing one big UFA this summer, since the expectation is a large cap increase after next season.

I imagine with D the plan is to keep trying to home grow it. Hopefully Bouchard is ready. Hopefully Jones takes another step like Bear did. There is no way they are not signing Nurse, so just gotta pray the cap hit is reasonable.

Probably stuck trying to find a diamond in the rough in net. There is nothing in the system that looks like it's close to ready. Gotta find a Kuemper somehow. Money isn't there for a big name.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: 2020-21 Oilers Roster [message #750019 is a reply to message #749999 ]
Fri, 20 December 2019 14:50 Go to previous message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

3 Cups

It wouldn’t overly surprise me if Holland brings Sheahan and Arch back for their 4th line and PK roles.

Two time Survivor CHAMP

#MUSTWIN

Survivor 52 | Survivor 66

Previous Topic:Pregame: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #38)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #37)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca