This day on November 13
Acquired: Alex Tidey (1979)

Happy Birthday To: ceez_says_go_oil_go, jabs

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » The Future of Jesse PuljujärviPages (15): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745172 is a reply to message #745168 ]
Mon, 21 October 2019 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 21 October 2019 08:54

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 21 October 2019 08:36

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 21 October 2019 08:11

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 18 October 2019 17:03

So some Finn put out on twitter that Puljujärvi’s team just signed some guy and apparently it could be due to the team believing Puljujärvi may be leaving to come back to the NHL soon? Also included in the tweet is a go canes go...

https://twitter.com/veikkoleh/status/1185286309339975681

Maybe @OulunKarpatFi needed to sing Julius Junttila to replace Jesse Puljujarvi because it look like he is heading back to NHL. Go @Canes go!!

His name keeps coming up and it seems to be the Canes mentioned a lot, the Aho relationship being the big factor. It's great that JP is doing well in the Finnish league but the league I don't know if it's even on par with the AHL and it's a different style of game on a bigger ice surface. I believe if JP comes back, it's NHL or he has to go on waivers to be sent down to the AHL. So I don't see how any team would trade for him right now and bring him over. Even if he resigned with the Oilers, I would probably leave him in Finland to hopefully develop because I don't see how he could step into the line up in the NHL and be effective. As we have seen, the NHL is NOT a development league.

Somebody traded for Lucic. There's a market for any player.

I fully expect someone to trade for JP. I am just curious if it happens soon or a team waits.

So does Lucic being traded replaces the phrase "if Gretzky can get traded...." I think it does. icon_lol

It think they are like yin and yang statements. Nobody is untouchable, nobody is untrade-able. The other thing is says is that there will always be stupid GMs out there for someone to take advantage of.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745196 is a reply to message #745172 ]
Mon, 21 October 2019 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 21 October 2019 09:07

So some Finn put out on twitter that Puljujärvi’s team just signed some guy and apparently it could be due to the team believing Puljujärvi may be leaving to come back to the NHL soon? Also included in the tweet is a go canes go...

Maybe @OulunKarpatFi needed to sing Julius Junttila to replace Jesse Puljujarvi because it look like he is heading back to NHL. Go @Canes go!!

His name keeps coming up and it seems to be the Canes mentioned a lot, the Aho relationship being the big factor. It's great that JP is doing well in the Finnish league but the league I don't know if it's even on par with the AHL and it's a different style of game on a bigger ice surface. I believe if JP comes back, it's NHL or he has to go on waivers to be sent down to the AHL. So I don't see how any team would trade for him right now and bring him over. Even if he resigned with the Oilers, I would probably leave him in Finland to hopefully develop because I don't see how he could step into the line up in the NHL and be effective. As we have seen, the NHL is NOT a development league.

I fully expect someone to trade for JP. I am just curious if it happens soon or a team waits.

So does Lucic being traded replaces the phrase "if Gretzky can get traded...." I think it does. icon_lol

It think they are like yin and yang statements. Nobody is untouchable, nobody is untrade-able. The other thing is says is that there will always be stupid GMs out there for someone to take advantage of.

Worth noting - the NHLE numbers suggest that the league Puljujarvi's in is pretty close to on par with the AHL. I saw this weekend, that his NHLE suggests Conor Sheary-level of production right now. Sheary's put up 30 and 34 points the last couple of seasons - so decent depth forward numbers. That makes sense given Puljujarvi's production in his one uninjured NHL season (20 points in 65 games at age 19).

What a 35-point player who you'll have 4-5 more seasons out of before UFA worth? What would the Oilers pay for that kind of player right now? I expect we'd see that as fairly valuable...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745201 is a reply to message #745196 ]
Mon, 21 October 2019 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 21 October 2019 15:07

Worth noting - the NHLE numbers suggest that the league Puljujarvi's in is pretty close to on par with the AHL. I saw this weekend, that his NHLE suggests Conor Sheary-level of production right now. Sheary's put up 30 and 34 points the last couple of seasons - so decent depth forward numbers. That makes sense given Puljujarvi's production in his one uninjured NHL season (20 points in 65 games at age 19).

What a 35-point player who you'll have 4-5 more seasons out of before UFA worth? What would the Oilers pay for that kind of player right now? I expect we'd see that as fairly valuable...

So JP scores 13 points in the Finnish league, most of his goals being uncontested, unscreened, long range wrist shots that go through goalies and should be stopped but that automatically means he will be a 35 pt player in the NHL. Riiigghttt.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745244 is a reply to message #745201 ]
Mon, 21 October 2019 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 21 October 2019 15:42

So JP scores 13 points in the Finnish league, most of his goals being uncontested, unscreened, long range wrist shots that go through goalies and should be stopped but that automatically means he will be a 35 pt player in the NHL. Riiigghttt.

NHLE is widely recognized by NHL teams as a barometer for a players pro success. Not the be all end all, but I’d take it over any armchair GM’s forecast.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745276 is a reply to message #745244 ]
Tue, 22 October 2019 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 21 October 2019 22:16

NHLE is widely recognized by NHL teams as a barometer for a players pro success. Not the be all end all, but I’d take it over any armchair GM’s forecast.

There are TONS of really, really good, high scoring AHLers who can go over to whatever European league and light it up as well but are tweener NHLers at best.
For the Oilers sake strictly because they used and in my opinion, wasted a 4th overall on JP, I hope the NHLE is correct, JP can be a player, he won't ever be the player you should get with a #4 and they can get something for him.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745301 is a reply to message #745276 ]
Tue, 22 October 2019 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 22 October 2019 08:37

There are TONS of really, really good, high scoring AHLers who can go over to whatever European league and light it up as well but are tweener NHLers at best.
For the Oilers sake strictly because they used and in my opinion, wasted a 4th overall on JP, I hope the NHLE is correct, JP can be a player, he won't ever be the player you should get with a #4 and they can get something for him.

You and Columbus’ GM may have been the only people that follow the NHL that wasn’t happy with Puljujarvi at 4th overall. What didn’t you like about him in his draft year that didn’t warrant his draft position?

In hindsight it was a wasted pick, but even I could pick 100% of the right players if I was given a time machine.

I defend the pick at the time. He looked so solid and almost every team had him penciled in as a two way player who could score.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745305 is a reply to message #745301 ]
Tue, 22 October 2019 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 22 October 2019 12:34

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 22 October 2019 08:37

You and Columbus’ GM may have been the only people that follow the NHL that wasn’t happy with Puljujarvi at 4th overall. What didn’t you like about him in his draft year that didn’t warrant his draft position?

In hindsight it was a wasted pick, but even I could pick 100% of the right players if I was given a time machine.

I defend the pick at the time. He looked so solid and almost every team had him penciled in as a two way player who could score.

I was like everyone else. I liked the pick at the time. I was thrilled with it. On paper, he was everything the Oilers needed. I am just extremely down on the player now. He could very well be an NHL player one day but I have my doubts there are too many people even in here who think he will be more than a 3rd liner.

I have gotten into many a debate with people about development of JP. I agree with them, the Oilers didn't develop him properly. But that doesn't change the fact that he is not the player they were expecting. I completely understand that not every player develops the same. But when you are taken in the top 5, you are supposed to be close to being ready. That's just the way it is. In a cap world, teams rely on young players on their ELC's to be good quickly. In the case of JP, it appears he needed at least 3 full years of development before he MIGHT be capable of being a full time NHLer. He's in year 4 and he's not a full time NHLer yet. That's a problem. It's especially a problem when you are taken 4th overall. If the NHLE has the Finnish league in the range of the AHL, as good as JP has been so far in the Finnish league, there is a very real chance he might not be ready to be a full time good NHLer next year. This isn't me being negative. Benson had a hell of a year last year in the AHL. Was almost a point per game. He wasn't ready this year. So there is no guarantee JP will be ready either. So they could be 5 yrs out and JP might not be a full time NHLer. That's a REAL problem for a 4th overall pick regardless if he was developed properly or not.

When it comes to the Columbus GM, I think he had a good idea it was going to take JP a lot longer to maybe be a player than most top 5 picks. So he passed on him.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745203 is a reply to message #745168 ]
Mon, 21 October 2019 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

2 Cups

I dont think it replaces it, just adds a bottom end to the scale of which Gretzky is at the top icon_nod

Survivor LXI Champion

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 23 October 2019 08:54

Your winner and nnnneeeeeeeewwwwwwwww champion...

PlusOne (Bos)

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745171 is a reply to message #745167 ]
Mon, 21 October 2019 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Lucic leads the league in toughness, in case you didn't hear from unbiased hockey commentator Eric Francis.

What does Pulju lead the league in? Entitlement? ;)

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745175 is a reply to message #745171 ]
Mon, 21 October 2019 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

I just can't get enough of checking on how Lucic does.

Flames go down to LA. Get bombed 4-1. Lucic once again playing against his "boys" in LA because he played with and lives there in the offseason, and just like he did when he was in Edmonton, did NOTHING against them.
12:03 TOI
0 pts
2 shots
1 hit.

Best part. Flames put Lucic on the PP, he plays over 3 mins on the PP and they go 0-5. Flames PP is 23rd.

Neal only has 9 goals, 10 pts in 9 games and the Oilers PP is #1 in the league and Neal is a big part of that.

When does Holland just call up Tre and be like. "I know we have that clause about the 3rd but you can just have it. You earned it. OH and I noticed that you guys are getting pushed around a bit on defense. We got this guy on defense, Manning. He's tough as nails, nasty SOB, he's got a bomb for a shot. See that goal the other night!! He'd be a hell of a playoff dman and let's be honest, we won't make it but you guys.... you are a lock!! I see Bennett is crapping the bed again. You guys picked him 4th overall right. Geeze..... that's rough. You must be getting tired of him not showing up. Let me know." icon_lol

[Updated on: Mon, 21 October 2019 09:31]

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745449 is a reply to message #721085 ]
Wed, 23 October 2019 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jesse shatters the PPG mark with a 2 goal game. 9-6-15 in 14 games.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745452 is a reply to message #745449 ]
Wed, 23 October 2019 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

JP is 9th in the league... not exactly a great spot for what he thinks he is. Ahead of him are other stars such as:

Kristian Kuusela
Charles Bertrand
Tyler Morley
Justin Danforth
Niko Ojamäki
Eemeli Suomi
Ponthus Westerholm
Julius Nättinen

Who? Yeah...

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745474 is a reply to message #745452 ]
Thu, 24 October 2019 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Wed, 23 October 2019 17:29

JP is 9th in the league... not exactly a great spot for what he thinks he is. Ahead of him are other stars such as:

Kristian Kuusela
Charles Bertrand
Tyler Morley
Justin Danforth
Niko Ojamäki
Eemeli Suomi
Ponthus Westerholm
Julius Nättinen

Who? Yeah...

Producing every night in a league that's on par with the AHL. That's all we can ask.

He's still 6'4 and skates well too. There's lots of guys at the lower leagues that can excel putting up points there, but can't make the next leap because they lack the speed or strength at the NHL level (think Dan Currie, Bill McDougall, Ryan Potulny). We know that isn't the case for Puljujarvi, so he just needs to show that he can put up points there.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745521 is a reply to message #745474 ]
Thu, 24 October 2019 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 24 October 2019 10:47

Kristian Kuusela
Charles Bertrand
Tyler Morley
Justin Danforth
Niko Ojamäki
Eemeli Suomi
Ponthus Westerholm
Julius Nättinen

Who? Yeah...

Producing every night in a league that's on par with the AHL. That's all we can ask.

He's still 6'4 and skates well too. There's lots of guys at the lower leagues that can excel putting up points there, but can't make the next leap because they lack the speed or strength at the NHL level (think Dan Currie, Bill McDougall, Ryan Potulny). We know that isn't the case for Puljujarvi, so he just needs to show that he can put up points there.

We don’t really know that JP can produce at the NHL level.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745614 is a reply to message #745521 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Magnum wrote on Thu, 24 October 2019 19:16

Kristian Kuusela
Charles Bertrand
Tyler Morley
Justin Danforth
Niko Ojamäki
Eemeli Suomi
Ponthus Westerholm
Julius Nättinen

Who? Yeah...

Exactly. There has been many a high end drafted player who lit up the AHL and did nothing in the NHL. But it's good he's scoring. Maybe the Oilers can sucker a team into giving them something useful. JP still screams Yak 2.0 to me. I bet Yak could play in the Finnish league and light it up.

[Updated on: Fri, 25 October 2019 08:49]

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745633 is a reply to message #745614 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 08:47

Kristian Kuusela
Charles Bertrand
Tyler Morley
Justin Danforth
Niko Ojamäki
Eemeli Suomi
Ponthus Westerholm
Julius Nättinen

Who? Yeah...

Exactly. There has been many a high end drafted player who lit up the AHL and did nothing in the NHL. But it's good he's scoring. Maybe the Oilers can sucker a team into giving them something useful. JP still screams Yak 2.0 to me. I bet Yak could play in the Finnish league and light it up.

Yak was +22 last year in the KHL with 33 points in 47 games. Maybe he could help the bottom 6!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745636 is a reply to message #745633 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 11:07

Kristian Kuusela
Charles Bertrand
Tyler Morley
Justin Danforth
Niko Ojamäki
Eemeli Suomi
Ponthus Westerholm
Julius Nättinen

Who? Yeah...

Yak was +22 last year in the KHL with 33 points in 47 games. Maybe he could help the bottom 6!

3 NHL teams proved he wasn't an NHLer. Now maybe in a few years he can be but I think we may never see him again in the NHL. It would be one thing if he never played in the NHL so he wanted to see if he could but he did it for 6 season and wasn't very good. If he is making decent money in the KHL and he can be a hero in his country, why come over to make league minimum.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745647 is a reply to message #745636 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 11:20

Kristian Kuusela
Charles Bertrand
Tyler Morley
Justin Danforth
Niko Ojamäki
Eemeli Suomi
Ponthus Westerholm
Julius Nättinen

Who? Yeah...

3 NHL teams proved he wasn't an NHLer. Now maybe in a few years he can be but I think we may never see him again in the NHL. It would be one thing if he never played in the NHL so he wanted to see if he could but he did it for 6 season and wasn't very good. If he is making decent money in the KHL and he can be a hero in his country, why come over to make league minimum.

I don't know - whenever he had a good coach, Yakupov did pretty well.

Under Krueger - Top scoring rookie in the league.

Under Eakins - struggles as the whipping boy.

Under Nelson - sudden resurgence! Solid player who was a real contributor and night and day difference from the start of that season.

Under Hitchcock - immediately the whipping boy again.

Then Colorado, meh.

Also, note that he does best when with a responsible veteran center who simplifies the game for him. He played his best with Shawn Horcoff and Derek Roy.

He's scored 100+ points in the NHL, which is a lot more than most of the scrubs we're using now!

I don't think he's the best fit and I can't see him EVER wanting to come back, but he's not as bad as some would have you think...

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745649 is a reply to message #745647 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 12:12

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 11:20

Kristian Kuusela
Charles Bertrand
Tyler Morley
Justin Danforth
Niko Ojamäki
Eemeli Suomi
Ponthus Westerholm
Julius Nättinen

Who? Yeah...

I don't know - whenever he had a good coach, Yakupov did pretty well.

Under Krueger - Top scoring rookie in the league.

Under Eakins - struggles as the whipping boy.

Under Nelson - sudden resurgence! Solid player who was a real contributor and night and day difference from the start of that season.

Under Hitchcock - immediately the whipping boy again.

Then Colorado, meh.

Also, note that he does best when with a responsible veteran center who simplifies the game for him. He played his best with Shawn Horcoff and Derek Roy.

He's scored 100+ points in the NHL, which is a lot more than most of the scrubs we're using now!

I don't think he's the best fit and I can't see him EVER wanting to come back, but he's not as bad as some would have you think...

In the end, he's a guy that needed a crazy amount of babying and sheltering from coaches to be able to be a 30 point guy. There is a point where the player gets old enough and you realize how little he is learning and how much babysitting he still needs where even the nicest coach is finally gonna decide those 30 points are not worth all that extra effort. Coaches time, and the sheltered minutes are not infinite, probably better places it can be used.

It's a bummer. At least we got McDavid to make up for that 1st OA pick :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745638 is a reply to message #745633 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kristian Kuusela
Charles Bertrand
Tyler Morley
Justin Danforth
Niko Ojamäki
Eemeli Suomi
Ponthus Westerholm
Julius Nättinen

Who? Yeah...

Looks like the Yak 22.5% SH% on Putin's favorite team did not carry over to this season :( 5 points in 15 games.

Yak's lookin old too

https://en.khl.ru/images/teamplayers/10430/16391.jpg

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745640 is a reply to message #745638 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 11:23

Kristian Kuusela
Charles Bertrand
Tyler Morley
Justin Danforth
Niko Ojamäki
Eemeli Suomi
Ponthus Westerholm
Julius Nättinen

Who? Yeah...

Looks like the Yak 22.5% SH% on Putin's favorite team did not carry over to this season :( 5 points in 15 games.

Yak's lookin old too

https://en.khl.ru/images/teamplayers/10430/16391.jpg

This is just an opinion of mine because I don't know him and it's based on what I heard from media guys who covered him in junior, for the Oilers and the other teams he played for. But it seemed to be a common theme. Yak was a talented player who seemed to only like to work on the things he was good at and liked. He didn't seem to want to work on the things he needed to improve. So in my opinion, he was good at hockey, saw the opportunity to make a good living playing hockey but the drive to be the very best isn't there. So I think he would be content to be in the KHL where the demands and hockey isn't as intense and he can do what he does best while making decent money.

My worry when it comes to JP is from the outside, I see similar traits and also have read similar things from both Oilers media but also Finnish media. He's a talented hockey player who excels in leagues where he is one of the better players naturally through pure talent level. He's stubborn and likes to work on what he likes to do and is good at. There seems to be a reluctance to do the things he needs to do to improve as player because they can be hard. As an example, the things that plagued him his first year were the same in the 3rd year. If you are putting in the time, you should get better, he didn't. The whole English lessons and him skipping out. If he was truly dedicated as a pro to get better, being able to communicate and understand is very important. The whole "teenager making a mistake" is a bs excuse. He's a high end athlete, they aren't wired like normal teens. These guys are supposed to be laser focused on achieving a goal and are willing to do and sacrifice whatever it takes. He didn't.

So I just wonder if he has fun playing in the Finnish league close to home. The league isn't as hard or demanding as the NHL. He won't have to change his preferred lifestyle. He won't have to learn English if he doesn't want too. He will automatically be one of the better players, be a big name in Finland so there is probably local endorsements he will get offered and he will probably make a good living. So I could easily seeing him sign an extension to stay. Yes there might be a small desire to try to prove if he can do it in the NHL but all the issues he had with the Oilers will probably still be there no matter what team he goes too. He's still going to have to learn English, adapt to the culture and City. He will still be on the low end of the line up and have to prove himself and he probably won't make much more than league minimum. So as a young guy who in my opinion, doesn't seem driven enough to want to be the best, if he did, he wouldn't be in Finland right now. He might just stay for a few years and maybe down the road, he tries again.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745650 is a reply to message #745640 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 11:42

This is just an opinion of mine because I don't know him and it's based on what I heard from media guys who covered him in junior, for the Oilers and the other teams he played for. But it seemed to be a common theme. Yak was a talented player who seemed to only like to work on the things he was good at and liked. He didn't seem to want to work on the things he needed to improve. So in my opinion, he was good at hockey, saw the opportunity to make a good living playing hockey but the drive to be the very best isn't there. So I think he would be content to be in the KHL where the demands and hockey isn't as intense and he can do what he does best while making decent money.

My worry when it comes to JP is from the outside, I see similar traits and also have read similar things from both Oilers media but also Finnish media. He's a talented hockey player who excels in leagues where he is one of the better players naturally through pure talent level. He's stubborn and likes to work on what he likes to do and is good at. There seems to be a reluctance to do the things he needs to do to improve as player because they can be hard. As an example, the things that plagued him his first year were the same in the 3rd year. If you are putting in the time, you should get better, he didn't. The whole English lessons and him skipping out. If he was truly dedicated as a pro to get better, being able to communicate and understand is very important. The whole "teenager making a mistake" is a bs excuse. He's a high end athlete, they aren't wired like normal teens. These guys are supposed to be laser focused on achieving a goal and are willing to do and sacrifice whatever it takes. He didn't.

So I just wonder if he has fun playing in the Finnish league close to home. The league isn't as hard or demanding as the NHL. He won't have to change his preferred lifestyle. He won't have to learn English if he doesn't want too. He will automatically be one of the better players, be a big name in Finland so there is probably local endorsements he will get offered and he will probably make a good living. So I could easily seeing him sign an extension to stay. Yes there might be a small desire to try to prove if he can do it in the NHL but all the issues he had with the Oilers will probably still be there no matter what team he goes too. He's still going to have to learn English, adapt to the culture and City. He will still be on the low end of the line up and have to prove himself and he probably won't make much more than league minimum. So as a young guy who in my opinion, doesn't seem driven enough to want to be the best, if he did, he wouldn't be in Finland right now. He might just stay for a few years and maybe down the road, he tries again.

You can't really form your opinion based on what Edmonton sports journalists say. They're terrible. Basically bottom of the barrel, and they have a terrible tendency to smear players who've left and then continue to smear them as long as they're in the game.

Tom Poti played his first four seasons with the Oilers, and then had a long career with the Rangers and Capitals. He was a steady productive defenceman for those teams, but every time he came back, the Edmonton media, guys like Spector and Jones, would make snotty comments about him to the point where other team's media guys have commented about the weird obsession here with a guy who was a pretty good player.

You should be cheering for Puljujarvi as hard as you can to be a star player. The better he does, the better it is for the Oilers. If he's good and we trade him, we'll get more. If he's good and he returns? You should hope he's great here. We could really use a break and that, at this point, would be found money.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745653 is a reply to message #745650 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 12:19

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 11:42

You can't really form your opinion based on what Edmonton sports journalists say. They're terrible. Basically bottom of the barrel, and they have a terrible tendency to smear players who've left and then continue to smear them as long as they're in the game.

Tom Poti played his first four seasons with the Oilers, and then had a long career with the Rangers and Capitals. He was a steady productive defenceman for those teams, but every time he came back, the Edmonton media, guys like Spector and Jones, would make snotty comments about him to the point where other team's media guys have commented about the weird obsession here with a guy who was a pretty good player.

You should be cheering for Puljujarvi as hard as you can to be a star player. The better he does, the better it is for the Oilers. If he's good and we trade him, we'll get more. If he's good and he returns? You should hope he's great here. We could really use a break and that, at this point, would be found money.

As I said.

I formed my opinion based on what the Edmonton media guys both guys who cover the team and work for the team. Some of these media guys are pretty negative on the Oilers about everything but are saying the same things so it's not like I was cherry picking the sunshine and rainbows guys. I also used what other media guys from other teams who watched these guys play from a far had to say. I listened to former players who should know how to play the game and who have no elegance to the Oilers at all and aren't just old newspaper guys, comment on JP.

I read what Finnish media guys who watched JP play in other leagues say.

If it was just Oilers brass and Stauffer and Matheson who kisses the Old boys ass saying it, then I would dismiss it. But the same message keeps coming from all kinds of people who have nothing to do with the Oilers. How can ALL of them be wrong?

I am cheering for JP. I want him to do well so they can get something for him. I would love it, if they could turn JP into a 3rd line center because I don't think there is a chance in hell he comes back to the Oilers. I don't think he will ever want too, nor do I think the guys in the room want him to come back ever.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745654 is a reply to message #745474 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kristian Kuusela
Charles Bertrand
Tyler Morley
Justin Danforth
Niko Ojamäki
Eemeli Suomi
Ponthus Westerholm
Julius Nättinen

Who? Yeah...

Point is, he's not exactly lighting up the league, he's a top scorer - which isn't really all the impressive.

If it is, then let's sign Julius Nättinen! Scoring like JP, has more goals, and is only 6 months older!!!

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745655 is a reply to message #745654 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Magnum wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 13:02

Kristian Kuusela
Charles Bertrand
Tyler Morley
Justin Danforth
Niko Ojamäki
Eemeli Suomi
Ponthus Westerholm
Julius Nättinen

Who? Yeah...

Point is, he's not exactly lighting up the league, he's a top scorer - which isn't really all the impressive.

If it is, then let's sign Julius Nättinen! Scoring like JP, has more goals, and is only 6 months older!!!

And Julius is a center. The Oilers need a 3rd line center.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745657 is a reply to message #745655 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 13:11

Kristian Kuusela
Charles Bertrand
Tyler Morley
Justin Danforth
Niko Ojamäki
Eemeli Suomi
Ponthus Westerholm
Julius Nättinen

Who? Yeah...

I've heard we are on Julius' ten team no-sign list.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745658 is a reply to message #745657 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 13:17

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 13:11

Kristian Kuusela
Charles Bertrand
Tyler Morley
Justin Danforth
Niko Ojamäki
Eemeli Suomi
Ponthus Westerholm
Julius Nättinen

Who? Yeah...

I've heard we are on Julius' ten team no-sign list.

Well then move on to Tyler Morley. He's a BC boy but scoring even more than JP. The NHLE says JP is good so why not him. Adam says JP is going to be on a Connor Sheary level because NHLE said so. It has to be true if Adam said it.

[Updated on: Fri, 25 October 2019 13:28]

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745659 is a reply to message #745654 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kristian Kuusela
Charles Bertrand
Tyler Morley
Justin Danforth
Niko Ojamäki
Eemeli Suomi
Ponthus Westerholm
Julius Nättinen

Who? Yeah...

Hey, Jesse scored again today!

He's probably on the best forward line in that league now.

Am I reading this right that Pulju has 110 shots in 15 games? lol. No other forward is even close to him, and he is ahead of all the D too.

I dunno, as far as possession play goes, it does appear Pulju's line is ripping the league a new one. I've seen stuff on twitter where people are saying his Corsi % is like 80%+. Other teams are doing nothing when his line is out there.

Nättinen has his 11 goals in 45 shots, after scoring 10 in 112 shots last year. He's having a 18/19 Flamers player of a season, aka a 18/19 KHL Yak.

[Updated on: Fri, 25 October 2019 13:31]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745660 is a reply to message #745659 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 13:28

Kristian Kuusela
Charles Bertrand
Tyler Morley
Justin Danforth
Niko Ojamäki
Eemeli Suomi
Ponthus Westerholm
Julius Nättinen

Who? Yeah...

Hey, Jesse scored again today!

He's probably on the best forward line in that league now.

Am I reading this right that Pulju has 110 shots in 15 games? lol. No other forward is even close to him, and he is ahead of all the D too.

I dunno, as far as possession play goes, it does appear Pulju's line is ripping the league a new one.

Nättinen has his 11 goals in 45 shots, after scoring 10 in 112 shots last year. He's having a 18/19 Flamers player of a season, aka a 18/19 KHL Yak.

So JP is over 7 shots a game. So that means in the NHL he would be BREAKING RECORDS!! rock

I looked it up, the NHL record for shots in 1 season was set by Phil Esposito with 550. JP at his rate in an 82 game season would have 601 shots. So DESTROY the NHL record.

Boy was I wrong Adam. You can't keep record breaking players out of the NHL. Send McDavid over to Finland, have McDavid get on his knees and beg JP to come back.

If McDavid begging JP doesn't work and he refuses, how on earth can there be 30 DUMB GM's in the NHL. Apparently the Oilers are looking for a bottom 6 guy. If all it costs you is a bottom 6 guy to get a NHL RECORD BREAKER. NO brainer. You make that trade all day long. Get JP in your line up, start the ring design.

[Updated on: Fri, 25 October 2019 13:40]

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745662 is a reply to message #745660 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose is currently online Goose

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 12:35

how on earth can there be 30 DUMB GM's in the NHL.

I mean, 200 hockey men agreed...

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 pace: 232 GF / 222 GA (+10)

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745664 is a reply to message #745662 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 13:59

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 12:35

how on earth can there be 30 DUMB GM's in the NHL.

I mean, 200 hockey men agreed...

That's what I am getting at. Look at his numbers in the Finnish league. Dude is dominating. GM's should be throwing themselves at the Oilers to get this guy. They can laugh themselves to sleep every night if all it cost them was a bottom 6 guy for a record breaking JP. The guys a force.

I have seen the light in JP now.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #745666 is a reply to message #745660 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 13:35

So JP is over 7 shots a game. So that means in the NHL he would be BREAKING RECORDS!! rock

I looked it up, the NHL record for shots in 1 season was set by Phil Esposito with 550. JP at his rate in an 82 game season would have 601 shots. So DESTROY the NHL record.

Boy was I wrong Adam. You can't keep record breaking players out of the NHL. Send McDavid over to Finland, have McDavid get on his knees and beg JP to come back.

If McDavid begging JP doesn't work and he refuses, how on earth can there be 30 DUMB GM's in the NHL. Apparently the Oilers are looking for a bottom 6 guy. If all it costs you is a bottom 6 guy to get a NHL RECORD BREAKER. NO brainer. You make that trade all day long. Get JP in your line up, start the ring design.

There is value in having people in your bottom 6 that can kill penalties and play a shutdown role, but when those bottom 6 players do not have anyone alongside them with offensive instincts, you get what we see now: two lines that give up more than they produce because no one can score.

Puljujarvi has warts, be he has offensive skills that can move the needle, and help get some production out of the bottom 6.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #746037 is a reply to message #745666 ]
Thu, 31 October 2019 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Christ Johnson from Sportsnet reported that JP is perfectly happy to stay the whole year in Europe. I can appreciate that he wants to have success so if he stays in the Finnish league where the competition isn't as good, he will have success. So there is some value in that but if your goal is the NHL, while you will accept playing in Finland, shouldn't you be chomping at the bit to get back and saying that? Anytime you hear a guy in the AHL talk, you don't hear them say how happy they are to be in the AHL. They talk about playing in the AHL and working on their game but usually state they want to be either in the NHL or get back to the NHL as fast as they can.

I wonder if the question has been asked to JP. Does JP actually want to be an NHL player or is he happy to just be a pro hockey player? Because there is a difference. If he just wants to play pro hockey for a living, I am sure if he stays in Finland, he can be a real good player, make a decent wage, probably get some Finnish endorsements and be a big deal in Finland.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #746046 is a reply to message #746037 ]
Fri, 01 November 2019 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 31 October 2019 14:31

Christ Johnson from Sportsnet reported that JP is perfectly happy to stay the whole year in Europe. I can appreciate that he wants to have success so if he stays in the Finnish league where the competition isn't as good, he will have success. So there is some value in that but if your goal is the NHL, while you will accept playing in Finland, shouldn't you be chomping at the bit to get back and saying that? Anytime you hear a guy in the AHL talk, you don't hear them say how happy they are to be in the AHL. They talk about playing in the AHL and working on their game but usually state they want to be either in the NHL or get back to the NHL as fast as they can.

I wonder if the question has been asked to JP. Does JP actually want to be an NHL player or is he happy to just be a pro hockey player? Because there is a difference. If he just wants to play pro hockey for a living, I am sure if he stays in Finland, he can be a real good player, make a decent wage, probably get some Finnish endorsements and be a big deal in Finland.

I think him having a good year in Finland is better for his trade value than a good couple of months. So I have no issues with him staying there.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #746047 is a reply to message #746046 ]
Fri, 01 November 2019 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

Pseudoreality wrote on Fri, 01 November 2019 16:05

I think him having a good year in Finland is better for his trade value than a good couple of months. So I have no issues with him staying there.

Same. I'm in no rush to lose him for a 2nd round pick or some waiver fodder.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #746048 is a reply to message #746047 ]
Fri, 01 November 2019 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PoolParty  is currently offline PoolParty

No Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 01 November 2019 14:03

Pseudoreality wrote on Fri, 01 November 2019 16:05

Same. I'm in no rush to lose him for a 2nd round pick or some waiver fodder.

Leave JP over there and let him blossom into the bottom six saviour we need

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool of bitching and whining about the same topics consistently.

#Adam #Kr55 #CrusaderPi #inverno76

#RDOilerfan is possibly reformed, time will tell.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #746052 is a reply to message #746048 ]
Fri, 01 November 2019 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

PoolParty wrote on Fri, 01 November 2019 14:41

I agree, just leave him there, but he won't make it as a bottom six player. He needs to be a skilled point producer when he comes back.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #746053 is a reply to message #746052 ]
Fri, 01 November 2019 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 01 November 2019 15:06

PoolParty wrote on Fri, 01 November 2019 14:41

I agree, just leave him there, but he won't make it as a bottom six player. He needs to be a skilled point producer when he comes back.

I agree. I also don't think he will be an top 6 guy either . I have said it a few times and I am sticking with it. He's Yak 2.0. A talented player who can't put it together to be a top 6 guy and his skill set isn't suited to be in the bottom 6.

I've heard Brian Burke on Staufford's show say numerous times the Flames had JP ranked just as high and they have a trade worked out with the Oilers to move up but Chia back out at the last minute. If only that trade would have happened, then the Oilers would have a real NHLer and maybe really good player in their line up today vs trying to figure out if JP lighting up Finnish league goalies who are probably 2-3 steps below NHL goalies means anything.

[Updated on: Fri, 01 November 2019 15:20]

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #746058 is a reply to message #746052 ]
Fri, 01 November 2019 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

I'm sure we'd all rather a third line of Caggiula-Strome-Puljujarvi. Question is, would Puljujarvi?

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #746099 is a reply to message #721085 ]
Sat, 02 November 2019 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

Friedman said he asked Pulju's agent if Pulju might be open for coming back to Oilers now, after they've started so well, he says no, still wants to move out.

I hope Holland leaves him there ALL season, and next. Unless you get something exceptional. F'm, set an example for the next prospect that tries to pull that BS, make it in their best interest to shut up and play with 100% commitment, this BS where they threaten to de-value their own worth so it forces a trade is something you need to eliminate, JP should be made an example of. The guy was a 4th overall, you can't take scrap in return.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner, Petrovic = Nathan Legare

Re: The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi [message #746101 is a reply to message #746099 ]
Sat, 02 November 2019 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 November 2019 16:20

Friedman said he asked Pulju's agent if Pulju might be open for coming back to Oilers now, after they've started so well, he says no, still wants to move out.

I hope Holland leaves him there ALL season, and next. Unless you get something exceptional. F'm, set an example for the next prospect that tries to pull that BS, make it in their best interest to shut up and play with 100% commitment, this BS where they threaten to de-value their own worth so it forces a trade is something you need to eliminate, JP should be made an example of. The guy was a 4th overall, you can't take scrap in return.

Yeah, nothing short of a solid 2nd line winger, or a very good prospect solidly trending to be a top 6'er should trigger this trade. If that's not there, Pulju can enjoy making 1/10th an NHL salary in Finland for the rest of the year, and beyond if need be.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Pages (15): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  >  »]  
Next Topic:Anthanasiou
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca