F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Ristolainen looking for new home
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741434]
Mon, 12 August 2019 12:16 Go to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

https://www.tsn.ca/buffalo-sabres-d-rasmus-ristolainen-i-wil l-be-at-one-of-the-nhl-team-s-training-camps-1.1349951

Think the Oilers could get him?

I think a right shoot defenceman would be worth investigating. I did not review salary cap implications, as to who would have to go etc.

Thoughts?

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741439 is a reply to message #741434 ]
Mon, 12 August 2019 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

4 Cups

They would have to make the money work but I would go get him if you could. I know there has been a lot made of his +/- and it is bad. But he was rushed to the NHL playing right after he was drafted and thrusted into playing top pairing minutes. He played over 24 mins last year. The Sabres have been a badly coached, poorly run team that has been very young and at times poor goaltending for pretty much the whole time he has been their. Their overall defensive game and D core has been weak the whole time. He's a big, physical, really good skating, really good puck moving, right shooting dman who can play big minutes and all he does is put up 40+ pts per year. At 5.4 mill, he's not expensive at all. And he's only 24.

If you put him with a good partner, he could be very effective. If he was on the Oilers, I would have

Klef - Risto
Nurse - Larsson

I would balance out the minutes between those pairings. You play Nurse - Larsson in the tougher defensive minutes and allow Klef - Risto to be more offensive.

It would allow you to keep Benning on the 3rd pairing or move him for a forward. It would also allow you to leave Bouchard in the AHL for the whole year to develop. So next season, he's ready to step in, hopefully ready to step into a top 4 role and you trade off Larsson who is a UFA for more forward help.

So you'd be rocking a top 4 of Klef, Nurse on the left. Risto, Bouchard on the right. There would be size, puck moving, physicality, skating and offense in there top 4 plus you have the left-right combos.

The Sabres are 1 mill over the cap. How about a package of:

Russell + JP + Something

for Risto.

The Sabres would keep JP in the Europe because I would assume most NHL teams know he needs more time. They would also save 1.4 mill on their cap hit.

The Oilers would have just over 1 mill in cap space left over. They play Jones on the 3rd pair. They right now have Manning and Brodziak, Cave, Jurco and Persson on their roster counting against the cap. Some or all of those guys could be buried and their whole salary (Brodziak would have a few thousand count) wouldn't count. If you absolutely had too, they could also trade a Benning for something to free up some money and I think teams would take him because he doesn't take a lot. He's a 3rd pairing guy. Are you really losing a ton if Jone and Largesson are your 3rd pairing? Or Jones and Persson? Probably not.

I am of the opinion that if you can get a guy with Risto's skill set, who's young, signed for a decent rate for a few more season and probably doesn't cost you an arm and a leg, I think you have to try.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 August 2019 12:54]

Re: Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741440 is a reply to message #741439 ]
Mon, 12 August 2019 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

The big question is making the money work.

They're not taking on any D-men (including Russell) and they're not in a position where they would want to retain salary, but they could.

You could look at sending JP their way along with someone they can bury in the minors perhaps? Brandon Manning? Kyle Brodziak? But I still don't know if the money would offset.

Re: Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741441 is a reply to message #741440 ]
Mon, 12 August 2019 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

mazankowski wrote on Mon, 12 August 2019 12:54

They're not taking on any D-men (including Russell) and they're not in a position where they would want to retain salary, but they could.

You could look at sending JP their way along with someone they can bury in the minors perhaps? Brandon Manning? Kyle Brodziak? But I still don't know if the money would offset.

Good point, I didn't even think about. It's all about the money. Sabres need to lose 1 mill to get under the cap. So if you made a package of:

JP + Benning + Manning + Brodziiak a pick or prospect if needed.
for Risto.

Keep JP in Europe because he needs development time. NHL money wise:

Risto - 5.4 mill

Benning 1.9
Manning 2.2
Brodziak 1.15

5.25 mill.

So the Oilers are taking on 150K.

The Sabres keep Benning up, then bury Manning and Brodziak. Brodziak's contract would almost all be off the books and Stauffer has been talking about his back being a problem so at his age and being an Edmonton guy, could you just put him on LTIR for a back injury and he stays home? Then pretty much half Manning's salary is off the books as well. So they'd be getting some cap relief. Plus Manning and Brodziak are UFA's and Benning would need a deal as well.

Re: Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741447 is a reply to message #741441 ]
Mon, 12 August 2019 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 12 August 2019 13:02

mazankowski wrote on Mon, 12 August 2019 12:54

Good point, I didn't even think about. It's all about the money. Sabres need to lose 1 mill to get under the cap. So if you made a package of:

JP + Benning + Manning + Brodziiak a pick or prospect if needed.
for Risto.

Keep JP in Europe because he needs development time. NHL money wise:

Risto - 5.4 mill

Benning 1.9
Manning 2.2
Brodziak 1.15

5.25 mill.

So the Oilers are taking on 150K.

The Sabres keep Benning up, then bury Manning and Brodziak. Brodziak's contract would almost all be off the books and Stauffer has been talking about his back being a problem so at his age and being an Edmonton guy, could you just put him on LTIR for a back injury and he stays home? Then pretty much half Manning's salary is off the books as well. So they'd be getting some cap relief. Plus Manning and Brodziak are UFA's and Benning would need a deal as well.

If Ristolainen is traded it will fetch A LOT more than Benning (barely a bottom pairing guy), Manning (not an NHL'er) Brodziak (barely an NHL'er) and JP (incredibly low value.)

I am guessing that if he is traded they get a capable top 6 forward, a prospect and a 2nd.

At 24 yrs old I believe Ristoleinen has just scratched the surface of his potential and could turn into the kind of player that 75% of the league is actively looking.

There is a zero percent chance that Buffalo takes all of the Oilers mistakes as a bundle and calls it value in a deal.

The overvaluing of Oilers assets and simultaneous undervaluing of other teams is bizarre.

Maybe the Sabres would throw in Eichel if the Oilers added Gagner and Russell to the deal ?!?!?

Survivor LXI Champion

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 23 October 2019 08:54

Your winner and nnnneeeeeeeewwwwwwwww champion...

PlusOne (Bos)

Re: Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741449 is a reply to message #741447 ]
Mon, 12 August 2019 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

1 Cup

Sabres also have 46 contracts signed. They are not taking on a boatload of players.

Re: Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741454 is a reply to message #741449 ]
Tue, 13 August 2019 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 12 August 2019 15:34

Sabres also have 46 contracts signed. They are not taking on a boatload of players.

They also have 2 guys that could either go back to juniorso they wouldn't count in Pekar and Cozens so they could go down to 44 if I am not mistaken.

Re: Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741442 is a reply to message #741434 ]
Mon, 12 August 2019 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

Iamheretoday wrote on Mon, 12 August 2019 11:16

https://www.tsn.ca/buffalo-sabres-d-rasmus-ristolainen-i-wil l-be-at-one-of-the-nhl-team-s-training-camps-1.1349951

Think the Oilers could get him?

I think a right shoot defenceman would be worth investigating. I did not review salary cap implications, as to who would have to go etc.

Thoughts?

What about a deal built around Larsson + JP and/or a pick. Risto would replace Larsson but add a different dimension to that top pairing that we need. Ideally you move Russel instead of Larsson, but I don't think Buf would do that.

I make music.
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/undermaker442/inexplicable

Re: Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741446 is a reply to message #741434 ]
Mon, 12 August 2019 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

What exactly is Buffalo doing this summer? They have 9D signed. 7 guys >2.25M and Dahlin on his ELC, and Casey Nelson that will probably be dropped through waivers.

Think they would be looking at getting a decent forward and cap space moving Risto. Their D group is all filled up.

Would Krueger want his old PP wizard Sam Gagner back? :) Along with JP and a pick (2nd or 3rd rounder).

I'd probably do that for Risto. Probably need to try an dump Russell ASAP.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741455 is a reply to message #741446 ]
Tue, 13 August 2019 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Maybe I am wrong but I am of the opinion that what the Sabres would get for Risto won't be as much as some in here think. Look at Subban. Yes it was a salary dump so just getting cap space was part of the return for the Preds but they got a couple of seconds, a prospect and a borderline NHL in Santinti. They couldn't even get a full time NHLer out of Subban.

So I don't see the Sabres getting a giant haul for Risto.

Re: Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741458 is a reply to message #741455 ]
Tue, 13 August 2019 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

I think this is a buy lower and get a motivated Dman who gets a change in scenery and he will be a very good top 4 RD guy for many years to come. He is big, plays fairly physical, skates well and is in top shape! I would definately be in big time for him.

The Sabres ideally want a decent 2nd line center, but that will be a tough fnd at this point in the summer I believe.

They will want a top 6 forward, a B+ prospect as a minimum for him. That will be a real hard find. If they want him out, IMO they will need to settle for a Potential top 6 forward, a solid prospect and a 3rd pick, plus contract $$$ to get within $1 million of Risto's $5.4 Million contract.

I would suggest this as a trade proposal....

JP, Bear, 2021 3rd pick, Gagner & Manning ($2 million off the cap when they demote these 2 contracts)

for

Risto plus 2 minor league contracts

This won't get them very excited, but a good place to start negotiating. I would be will ing to make the 3rd a 2nd if it gets that done.

Re: Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741461 is a reply to message #741458 ]
Tue, 13 August 2019 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Jakey wrote on Tue, 13 August 2019 09:45

I think this is a buy lower and get a motivated Dman who gets a change in scenery and he will be a very good top 4 RD guy for many years to come. He is big, plays fairly physical, skates well and is in top shape! I would definately be in big time for him.

The Sabres ideally want a decent 2nd line center, but that will be a tough fnd at this point in the summer I believe.

They will want a top 6 forward, a B+ prospect as a minimum for him. That will be a real hard find. If they want him out, IMO they will need to settle for a Potential top 6 forward, a solid prospect and a 3rd pick, plus contract $$$ to get within $1 million of Risto's $5.4 Million contract.

JP, Bear, 2021 3rd pick, Gagner & Manning ($2 million off the cap when they demote these 2 contracts)

for

This won't get them very excited, but a good place to start negotiating. I would be will ing to make the 3rd a 2nd if it gets that done.

A trade with the Oilers would have to involve sending salary back. I would swap out Benning for Manning just because the Sabres would be getting pretty much nothing but guys who are burying contracts or maybes. JP is a maybe, Bear is a maybe, Gagner and Manning will probably be burying contracts. At least in Benning they would get an NHL dman. He's a 3rd pairing but he's not old so maybe he could elevate.

Re: Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741463 is a reply to message #741461 ]
Tue, 13 August 2019 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 13 August 2019 10:08

for

A trade with the Oilers would have to involve sending salary back. I would swap out Benning for Manning just because the Sabres would be getting pretty much nothing but guys who are burying contracts or maybes. JP is a maybe, Bear is a maybe, Gagner and Manning will probably be burying contracts. At least in Benning they would get an NHL dman. He's a 3rd pairing but he's not old so maybe he could elevate.

You guys may be right on the value of Risto. Perhaps I am over shooting what it would take. RDOF. Your example of what it took to get PK in NJ is a good point.

Given the number of D-men the Sabres have I dont think anything but NHL forwards or prospects and picks would interest them.

I am guessing if the Oilers called they would want a guy like Yamo in a package that included JP and a pick

Survivor LXI Champion

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 23 October 2019 08:54

Your winner and nnnneeeeeeeewwwwwwwww champion...

PlusOne (Bos)

Re: Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741464 is a reply to message #741463 ]
Tue, 13 August 2019 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 13 August 2019 10:28

for

You guys may be right on the value of Risto. Perhaps I am over shooting what it would take. RDOF. Your example of what it took to get PK in NJ is a good point.

Given the number of D-men the Sabres have I dont think anything but NHL forwards or prospects and picks would interest them.

I am guessing if the Oilers called they would want a guy like Yamo in a package that included JP and a pick

A 2nd(or 3rd), Yamo and JP for Risto? I would do that. I don't think Yamo has the chops and Ristolainen is a legit NHL dman.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741472 is a reply to message #741464 ]
Tue, 13 August 2019 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 13 August 2019 09:45

for

A 2nd(or 3rd), Yamo and JP for Risto? I would do that. I don't think Yamo has the chops and Ristolainen is a legit NHL dman.

If you were to get Risto out of Buffalo and not part with JP, would you do it in the hopes that Risto could mentor JP? Perhaps having a fellow Fin who is young and established may be something which would bring optimism to JP's camp and allow him to have someone to lean on.

Re: Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741473 is a reply to message #741472 ]
Tue, 13 August 2019 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

I love the idea of JP staying with the Oilers, but I think that ship has sailed. I think giving up Yams and JP would not be the worst thing to get a number 3-4 defenseman who is young. Of course then we would have to trade a different defenseman on the roster to keep the idea of battling for a spot that Holland likes so well.

Think this help settle the defense down, allow for Right/ left combos etc. Likely not going to happen but I can dream.
rofl

Re: Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741484 is a reply to message #741473 ]
Wed, 14 August 2019 09:50 Go to previous message

4 Cups

Iamheretoday wrote on Tue, 13 August 2019 15:09

I love the idea of JP staying with the Oilers, but I think that ship has sailed. I think giving up Yams and JP would not be the worst thing to get a number 3-4 defenseman who is young. Of course then we would have to trade a different defenseman on the roster to keep the idea of battling for a spot that Holland likes so well.

Think this help settle the defense down, allow for Right/ left combos etc. Likely not going to happen but I can dream.
rofl

If the Oilers somehow were able to get a 3-4, right shooting, young, good skating puck moving, point producing dman and the major cost to them was JP who right now it looks like his top end might be a 3rd liner, you do that all day long.

Probably a pipe dream but I don't think anyone should lose too much sleep over losing JP.

Re: Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741474 is a reply to message #741472 ]
Tue, 13 August 2019 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

mazankowski wrote on Tue, 13 August 2019 14:55

for

If you were to get Risto out of Buffalo and not part with JP, would you do it in the hopes that Risto could mentor JP? Perhaps having a fellow Fin who is young and established may be something which would bring optimism to JP's camp and allow him to have someone to lean on.

I disagree. I heard both Gregor and Stauffer talk awhile ago about how the Oilers asked Koskinen to basically babysit JP. If that is the case and I don't think those 2, especially Gregor would lie about that, while I get it, it shouldn't have to happen. The last thing I want is to put extra pressure on a brand new player to the Oilers and the Edmonton to have to worry about if JP is doing OK or JP feels good or feels included. We are talking like JP is this small child. He's a grown ass man.

Re: Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741475 is a reply to message #741472 ]
Tue, 13 August 2019 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

mazankowski wrote on Tue, 13 August 2019 14:55

for

Nope I’ve accepted JP is leaving. Nothing can be done there.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Ristolainen looking for new home [message #741459 is a reply to message #741455 ]
Tue, 13 August 2019 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

The Sabres really are looking for cap relief, which means picks and prospects coming back. The unfortunate part for the Oilers is they lack the cap space to take Risto on.

A deal like this could have gotten done if they had made the decision to buyout Manning (clearing up $1.3 million this season) and Brodziak (clearing up , creating $800k this season), which would have created $2.1 million in additional space for them, or if they wouldn't have retained as much on Lucic.

They could theoretically trade Russell still, which would provide them some cap relief, but I bet it costs them or they take on a bad contract back.

IMO, a package consisting of JP, a pick and Benning/Kassian should be enough here, but I'd rather not lose Kassian now that Lucic is gone.

I agree with RDO, the return for Risto is not going to be astronomical, especially when the team covets cap space as a return. Their 2nd line could use some work, but again, they cannot take on a $4million+ player back.

Further, what teams desperately need 2nd pairing RHD who are offensive and have the cap space? Detroit, Anaheim, Ottawa, Colorado maybe, and maybe Winnipeg depending on the RFA signings.

There isn't much of a market right now for Risto meaning the return won't be as high as a 1st, a prospect and a forward.

Previous Topic:Treenas oil is back!!!!!!
Next Topic:The Case Against Lucic
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca