This day on January 25
Acquired: Glenn Anderson (1996)

Happy Birthday To: Angelus, barnaclehead, sharks eat oilers, RomanianOiler, cinnamon, Oilers since 84, m_fish82, Bubble

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Friedman saying Koskinen re-signing 3 yr 4.5M AAVPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Friedman saying Koskinen re-signing 3 yr 4.5M AAV [message #728380 is a reply to message #728364 ]
Tue, 22 January 2019 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Well at least they didn't give Koskinen a no move. So there is that. icon_neutral

Like I said, I am OK to spend 4.5 mill over 3 years on a starter. If you can get decent starting goaltending for that price point, I think that is just fine. When I look at who might be available for other goalies, the only guy I would want is Bob but he will be expensive. So if you as an organization determine you are done with Talbot ( I am fine with that decision), you set a budget for what you are willing to pay your starter (I am OK with the $ amount), you decide that based on who will be available, which teams will be looking for goalies and you decide that the few guys who might be better will be too expensive for you and the rest aren't any better, I can accept deciding to go with the guy you know.

BUT

Why now? Why sign him now?

Even if you decide that his dip in numbers was strictly because you lost Klefbom and Russell for a long time and now your whole team is playing crappy defense, why not WAIT a little?? Wait until Klefbom is back and you have a complete, healthy team and more importantly a healthy defense. Wait until you as a team go into the break, have a pile of meetings and a bunch of practices and get everyone playing defense again. Wait until you decide to run with Koskinen as your starter for a stretch, play him like you would a starter and see. See what happens. If he is rolling along for another month, you have your defense, you have your team playing properly and he is playing good hockey, THEN sign him. I personally don't think it costs you more if you wait another month.

I just don't know.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Friedman saying Koskinen re-signing 3 yr 4.5M AAV [message #728382 is a reply to message #728380 ]
Tue, 22 January 2019 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 22 January 2019 09:36

Well at least they didn't give Koskinen a no move. So there is that. icon_neutral

Like I said, I am OK to spend 4.5 mill over 3 years on a starter. If you can get decent starting goaltending for that price point, I think that is just fine. When I look at who might be available for other goalies, the only guy I would want is Bob but he will be expensive. So if you as an organization determine you are done with Talbot ( I am fine with that decision), you set a budget for what you are willing to pay your starter (I am OK with the $ amount), you decide that based on who will be available, which teams will be looking for goalies and you decide that the few guys who might be better will be too expensive for you and the rest aren't any better, I can accept deciding to go with the guy you know.

BUT

Even if you decide that his dip in numbers was strictly because you lost Klefbom and Russell for a long time and now your whole team is playing crappy defense, why not WAIT a little?? Wait until Klefbom is back and you have a complete, healthy team and more importantly a healthy defense. Wait until you as a team go into the break, have a pile of meetings and a bunch of practices and get everyone playing defense again. Wait until you decide to run with Koskinen as your starter for a stretch, play him like you would a starter and see. See what happens. If he is rolling along for another month, you have your defense, you have your team playing properly and he is playing good hockey, THEN sign him. I personally don't think it costs you more if you wait another month.

I just don't know.

Agree on this RD. The timing is very odd. The number, and term, are good for your starting goalie. But they’re basically saying because he’s been the better of the 2 this season, that he’s their long term starter by default and handing him the keys. I’m not opposed to Koskinen, I rather enjoy his game and the team (prior to the injuries) seemed to have trusted him and played much better in front of him.

But again, the timing is so strange.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Friedman saying Koskinen re-signing 3 yr 4.5M AAV [message #728389 is a reply to message #728380 ]
Tue, 22 January 2019 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 22 January 2019 08:36

BUT

I just don't know.

Well I was totally wrong. Just came out right now that Koskinen got a limited no trade. Sooo..... now I don't even have that. Perfect. icon_thumbdown

Re: Friedman saying Koskinen re-signing 3 yr 4.5M AAV [message #728461 is a reply to message #728389 ]
Tue, 22 January 2019 18:15 Go to previous message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 22 January 2019 09:30

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 22 January 2019 08:36

BUT

I just don't know.

Well I was totally wrong. Just came out right now that Koskinen got a limited no trade. Sooo..... now I don't even have that. Perfect. icon_thumbdown

Meh. If he can’t stop the pucks at 4.5M, nobody will trade for him anyway.

They are stuck with this contract if he sucks either way.

#firebob

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Oilers shopping Talbot?
Next Topic:Chia's next trade
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca