F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Maroon's next contractPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702110 is a reply to message #701904 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ryanc182  is currently offline ryanc182

No Cups

Anyone else happen to see the Oilers twitter today talking about Pat Maroon's engagement?!

I've also heard many a story like Magnums, which makes this announcement even more funny/sad.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702222 is a reply to message #702110 ]
Fri, 10 November 2017 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

ryanc182 wrote on Wed, 08 November 2017 23:28

Anyone else happen to see the Oilers twitter today talking about Pat Maroon's engagement?!

I've also heard many a story like Magnums, which makes this announcement even more funny/sad.

He could have been trying to be a good wing man. I do that for my bros when I'm in a relationship, I'll talk to anyone and enjoy doing it... some guys just don't have that in their DNA.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.

2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.

2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid hoping it's Drain-O.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702228 is a reply to message #702222 ]
Fri, 10 November 2017 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Fri, 10 November 2017 11:03

He could have been trying to be a good wing man. I do that for my bros when I'm in a relationship, I'll talk to anyone and enjoy doing it... some guys just don't have that in their DNA.

So you think maybe he was trying to get your girl on behalf of Draisaitl?

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702231 is a reply to message #702228 ]
Fri, 10 November 2017 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Makes sense. Leon can't risk another black eye.

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702232 is a reply to message #702231 ]
Fri, 10 November 2017 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

5 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 10 November 2017 11:39

Makes sense. Leon can't risk another black eye.

That. Never. Happened.

Also, you're not allowed to question if it ever happened because the Oilers (and the MSM) said it didn't 6 days after it certainly didn't happen.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Red wine summit in Banff!

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702245 is a reply to message #702228 ]
Fri, 10 November 2017 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 November 2017 11:21

Magnum wrote on Fri, 10 November 2017 11:03

So you think maybe he was trying to get your girl on behalf of Draisaitl?

That was my read.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.

2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.

2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid hoping it's Drain-O.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702127 is a reply to message #699185 ]
Thu, 09 November 2017 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Stauffer suggesting that the Oilers won't keep both Maroon and Lucic in the top six next year.

Lucic is the gift that keep giving cap he'll, but he's not going anywhere.

I don't know how contract talks are going with Maroon, but I would guess not well. That sucks, because outside of Draisaitl, if you count Draisaitl, Maroon is the Oilers best winger. There is not internal replacement and he is the only one who has really clicked with McDavid. For a team that has precious little for wing scoring, Maroon would be a huge loss.

The future isn't all that bright right now. This team is so far from a true Cup challenger.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702128 is a reply to message #702127 ]
Thu, 09 November 2017 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 09 November 2017 10:21

Stauffer suggesting that the Oilers won't keep both Maroon and Lucic in the top six next year.

I don't know how contract talks are going with Maroon, but I would guess not well. That sucks, because outside of Draisaitl, if you count Draisaitl, Maroon is the Oilers best winger. There is not internal replacement and he is the only one who has really clicked with McDavid. For a team that has precious little for wing scoring, Maroon would be a huge loss.

The future isn't all that bright right now. This team is so far from a true Cup challenger.

Can you imagine this team if they trade Nugent-Hopkins, Maroon and one of Klefbom or Benning next summer?

I feel like we could be watching a very quick decay here...

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702129 is a reply to message #702128 ]
Thu, 09 November 2017 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 09 November 2017 09:37

Can you imagine this team if they trade Nugent-Hopkins, Maroon and one of Klefbom or Benning next summer?

Maroon is straight up a better player than Lucic right now. Regardless of line-mates. So frustrating.

Wins in a row the Oilers need to get to playoff pace: infinity
games!!

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702130 is a reply to message #702129 ]
Thu, 09 November 2017 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 09 November 2017 10:42

Maroon is straight up a better player than Lucic right now. Regardless of line-mates. So frustrating.

If we deal off all those pieces for cap relief and because Oilers, then we're going to need to really hope that Ethan Bear, Kailer Yamamoto and Jesse Puljujarvi make big jumps forward this year, and that whoever the hot college free agent is, he's the real deal and the Oilers can land him.

You begin to wonder if Chiarelli wasn't just counting on McDavid to win the Stanley Cup on his own...

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702131 is a reply to message #702130 ]
Thu, 09 November 2017 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 09 November 2017 10:46

If we deal off all those pieces for cap relief and because Oilers, then we're going to need to really hope that Ethan Bear, Kailer Yamamoto and Jesse Puljujarvi make big jumps forward this year, and that whoever the hot college free agent is, he's the real deal and the Oilers can land him.

You begin to wonder if Chiarelli wasn't just counting on McDavid to win the Stanley Cup on his own...

You're forgetting about the top 4 draft selection we will acquire in June.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702132 is a reply to message #702131 ]
Thu, 09 November 2017 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Thu, 09 November 2017 12:30

Adam wrote on Thu, 09 November 2017 10:46

You're forgetting about the top 4 draft selection we will acquire in June.

Or more likely, we improve as the season goes on and pick somewhere between #10 and #20 and STILL rush the poor kid in to the lineup next year because he too had a great camp...

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702139 is a reply to message #702128 ]
Thu, 09 November 2017 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 09 November 2017 10:37

Just keep drafting, wait 6 years for the cap to go up, and let the next GM/coach start off with a clean slate. Pens model. And, by next GM/coach I probably mean MacT/Bucky.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702184 is a reply to message #702127 ]
Thu, 09 November 2017 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Maroon can't get a deal done with Chia? What is he asking for? 7M AAV?

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702200 is a reply to message #702184 ]
Thu, 09 November 2017 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 November 2017 20:56

Why wouldn't he? He can use Lucic as a comparable.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Red wine summit in Banff!

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702251 is a reply to message #702200 ]
Fri, 10 November 2017 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 09 November 2017 23:36

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 November 2017 20:56

Why wouldn't he? He can use Lucic as a comparable.

Hey now. Lucic is 62nd in the NHL among forwards (100+ mins played) in 5v5 points/60. Maroon is 123rd. McDavid 60th.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 November 2017 16:44]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702290 is a reply to message #699185 ]
Sat, 11 November 2017 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Back to 2M AAV max offer :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702412 is a reply to message #702290 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

I like Maroon a lot. He is a good player, he's a big guy that has skill. He has some chemistry with McDavid but I think we all agree that he of all players is a product of McDavid. Put him on another line and instead of being a 25 goal guy, he's probably a teens goal guy. So far he has 4 goals, 10 pts in 17 games. Not bad. For a contract, I'd be shocked if it was any less than 4 mill and given the market, if he puts up over 20 goals again, I think he could get over 5 mill on the open market. I would never advocate for signing Maroon for that much. So if the Oilers got him for around 4, I think he's giving them a bit of a discount. At 30, you don't want to sign him for too long. But when I think about the Oilers and then I watch how Nuge is playing. Nuge has 12 pts in 17 games and he's over 52% on faceoffs. I don't know what has changed but he looks like what I expected Nuge to be since being drafted. He's putting up points as a top 6 rate, he's decent on faceoffs and OK defensively (I have never thought he was good defensively). But he looks like a legit top 6 player. At 6 mill, I wish he was making slightly less but if he is flirting with 55-60 pts, I don't think he is overpaid like I did the last 2 seasons.

So I wonder if Nuge is playing himself back on this team and Maroon will be gone. It would be tight to keep Nuge and his 6 mill but there is n o way you can have both Maroon and Nuge on your team. So I wonder if there is a scenario where Nuge is here and Maroon is let go. McDavid seems to like having a creative, thinker on his line - partly why Drai works so well. If Maroon is gone, I think you put Nuge in Maroon's spot. I don't know how the dollars shake out but if you could do it, I would strongly look at it. I know they have to resign a bunch of guys. But of the guys they need to bring back:
- Slep needs a new deal. He started hurt, then was slow to catch up. Maybe had some slight traction, now is hurt again. Groins can take a while to heal, so how much of a raise will be get realistically? So I see another short, show me contract coming as we still don't know what he is.
- Benning needs a new deal. He has sputtered big time. He seems to be a bit better but again unless he takes a MASSIVE leap, I a show me contract with a very modest raise.
- Caggulia needs a new deal. Has started slow, been in and out with various minor injuries. I see a short, show me contract as we still don't know what he is.
- Strome will need a new contract. He makes 2.5 mill. Unless he takes a big jump, I see him exactly like the others. A short, show me contract with the same money or maybe slightly less.
- Letestu will be up. He makes 1.8 mill. Assuming he's here, I would either just give the spot to Kharia next season and take what you get. Kharia makes 675k for another season or bring in a guy. You can get a 4th line center for under 1 mill.
- Jokinen makes 1.1 mill and won't be back. You have to think that Yamo will be on the team next year given his 9 game try out. Leggelia willl have another full year as a pro winger so 1.5 years. You wonder if he can make a jump with the Oilers needing some speed. Benson will needs to play but will be turning pro. Rattie looks good in the minors. So do you really need to replace a Jokinen with anyone or can you do it internally? I would go internal.
- Fayne's 3.625 will be gone.
- Korpikoski's 1 mill from the buy out will be gone.
- Auvitu and his 700 K will be gone. With Sekera back, Gryba drops to your #7 and at 900 K, that is fine. You will have guys like Stanton in the minors, Bear & Jones will have a year of pro. Mantha will have a pro year and sounds like he has potential. Paigin will have another year and sounds like he has some tools. So do you need to go out of the organization to replace Auvitu who does nothing? I don't think you do.

There would be work to be done but I wonder if it could work. The big thing people worry about is all these young guys needing new deals. Well do they actually deserve to get much of a raise at the end of the year? Hard to say.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702416 is a reply to message #702412 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 11:35

I like Maroon a lot. He is a good player, he's a big guy that has skill. He has some chemistry with McDavid but I think we all agree that he of all players is a product of McDavid. Put him on another line and instead of being a 25 goal guy, he's probably a teens goal guy. So far he has 4 goals, 10 pts in 17 games. Not bad. For a contract, I'd be shocked if it was any less than 4 mill and given the market, if he puts up over 20 goals again, I think he could get over 5 mill on the open market. I would never advocate for signing Maroon for that much. So if the Oilers got him for around 4, I think he's giving them a bit of a discount. At 30, you don't want to sign him for too long. But when I think about the Oilers and then I watch how Nuge is playing. Nuge has 12 pts in 17 games and he's over 52% on faceoffs. I don't know what has changed but he looks like what I expected Nuge to be since being drafted. He's putting up points as a top 6 rate, he's decent on faceoffs and OK defensively (I have never thought he was good defensively). But he looks like a legit top 6 player. At 6 mill, I wish he was making slightly less but if he is flirting with 55-60 pts, I don't think he is overpaid like I did the last 2 seasons.

So I wonder if Nuge is playing himself back on this team and Maroon will be gone. It would be tight to keep Nuge and his 6 mill but there is n o way you can have both Maroon and Nuge on your team. So I wonder if there is a scenario where Nuge is here and Maroon is let go. McDavid seems to like having a creative, thinker on his line - partly why Drai works so well. If Maroon is gone, I think you put Nuge in Maroon's spot. I don't know how the dollars shake out but if you could do it, I would strongly look at it. I know they have to resign a bunch of guys. But of the guys they need to bring back:
- Slep needs a new deal. He started hurt, then was slow to catch up. Maybe had some slight traction, now is hurt again. Groins can take a while to heal, so how much of a raise will be get realistically? So I see another short, show me contract coming as we still don't know what he is.
- Benning needs a new deal. He has sputtered big time. He seems to be a bit better but again unless he takes a MASSIVE leap, I a show me contract with a very modest raise.
- Caggulia needs a new deal. Has started slow, been in and out with various minor injuries. I see a short, show me contract as we still don't know what he is.
- Strome will need a new contract. He makes 2.5 mill. Unless he takes a big jump, I see him exactly like the others. A short, show me contract with the same money or maybe slightly less.
- Letestu will be up. He makes 1.8 mill. Assuming he's here, I would either just give the spot to Kharia next season and take what you get. Kharia makes 675k for another season or bring in a guy. You can get a 4th line center for under 1 mill.
- Jokinen makes 1.1 mill and won't be back. You have to think that Yamo will be on the team next year given his 9 game try out. Leggelia willl have another full year as a pro winger so 1.5 years. You wonder if he can make a jump with the Oilers needing some speed. Benson will needs to play but will be turning pro. Rattie looks good in the minors. So do you really need to replace a Jokinen with anyone or can you do it internally? I would go internal.
- Auvitu and his 700 K will be gone. With Sekera back, Gryba drops to your #7 and at 900 K, that is fine. You will have guys like Stanton in the minors, Bear & Jones will have a year of pro. Mantha will have a pro year and sounds like he has potential. Paigin will have another year and sounds like he has some tools. So do you need to go out of the organization to replace Auvitu who does nothing? I don't think you do.

There would be work to be done but I wonder if it could work. The big thing people worry about is all these young guys needing new deals. Well do they actually deserve to get much of a raise at the end of the year? Hard to say.

First off, great post, one of your best.
One thing you are missing there is Nurse. If he keeps playing the way he has for the rest of the season he is in for a big jump.

I think Maroon is gone unless he takes a huge discount and only for 2 years. It is well known that TM prefers centers and likes the option to put them on the wing. He did this in SJ and is doing it now.

With RNH playing how he has I have no problem with him holding down the 2C spot.

for any vet (Jokinen and Letestu) I let them walk unless they are under a million. The only guys I want in that bottom six, with our cap situation, are guys playing for around a million that have a chance to grow and become better. Letestu is what he is an last years seems to be an outlier, not the new norm.

The offseason is a long ways away but I really hope PC prioritizes Nurse. Then see what he has to work with.
Everyone else under 25 (Slep, Iiro, Strome, Benning) are RFA;s and you play hardball with.

The way this team is built around the cap hits of McD and Drai they will need to only give term to top end talent that is progressing, IE Nurse, everyone else you have to draw a line in the sand and be willing to find replacements if they walk.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702417 is a reply to message #702416 ]
Mon, 13 November 2017 11:50 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 11:22

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 13 November 2017 11:35

First off, great post, one of your best.
One thing you are missing there is Nurse. If he keeps playing the way he has for the rest of the season he is in for a big jump.

I think Maroon is gone unless he takes a huge discount and only for 2 years. It is well known that TM prefers centers and likes the option to put them on the wing. He did this in SJ and is doing it now.

With RNH playing how he has I have no problem with him holding down the 2C spot.

for any vet (Jokinen and Letestu) I let them walk unless they are under a million. The only guys I want in that bottom six, with our cap situation, are guys playing for around a million that have a chance to grow and become better. Letestu is what he is an last years seems to be an outlier, not the new norm.

The offseason is a long ways away but I really hope PC prioritizes Nurse. Then see what he has to work with.
Everyone else under 25 (Slep, Iiro, Strome, Benning) are RFA;s and you play hardball with.

The way this team is built around the cap hits of McD and Drai they will need to only give term to top end talent that is progressing, IE Nurse, everyone else you have to draw a line in the sand and be willing to find replacements if they walk.

You are right. I did forget Nurse which is bad because I am a big fan. Thanks.

For Nurse. He is the one guy that I would consider going longer on. I personally think he is at worse a legit top 4 guy and maybe has the chance to be a 2/3. If they go longer, I can't see him making more than Klefbom. Klef signed for just over 4 mill over 7 yrs. I could see them go shorter on Nurse, a bridge. Even if you go 4x his salary, that's 3.4. I would like to see the Oilers go a Ryan Ellis type contract. Sign him for 3 yrs at like 2.5 - 3. He'd be 25 so you should know what you have. By the time his deal is up, Russell would be gone and Sekera would be a UFA. So ideally, Nurse takes Sekera's spot and his money, maybe slightly more.

I agree with you on the rest.
Pakerinen are a dime a dozen to me. I wouldn't give him a raise on his 725. If you can't replace him either internally with a young guy for someone else on a similar salary, you have serious issues.
Benning. Makes 925k. Unless he takes a massive step, I wouldn't rush to sign him for a ton. Give him a 1 yr at a modest raise.
Slep/Caggulia. I don't know how much leverage they would have. Are they bottom 6 guys or can they play top 6? I like Sleps' tools but he can't stay in the line up this year. Same goes for Caggulia. I like what he brings but he's constantly hurt. would again sign them to a 1 yr deal with a really modest raise and see where they are at after next year. I am sure they want more but I am not sure how they can justify it.
Strome. Like I said, I would sign him to a 1 yr deal at the same money or slightly less because he's another guy as to what is he.

I hope it works out.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Oilers looking to move on from Jokinen. Already.
Next Topic:Puljujarvi for Kreider?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca