This day on June 16
Acquired: Josef Beranek (1998)
Departed: Petr Klima (1993) Bobby Dollas (1998) Tony Hrkac (1998)

Happy Birthday To: oilers-all-the-way, anoilgirl, The Fog

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #687970]
Wed, 01 March 2017 13:47 Go to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

Entry level deal...

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/837040842246258688

Taken from Puckprose.com before the 2016 NHL Draft.

Two-way defenseman Ryan Mantha, no relation to Detroit prospect Anthony Mantha, was drafted by the New York Rangers in the fourth round in 2014 after a tenure in the USHL with the Sioux City Musketeers and a brief stint with the Indiana Ice; however, Mantha really came out of his shell with the Niagara Ice Dogs.

Mantha’s playmaking skills blossomed the past two years and given the fast pace of the OHL, he was able to improve his speed and agility. All things that were criticized in his 2014 scouting report.

“Mantha has good bloodlines and impressive size. Handles the puck well and makes a strong breakout pass. Uses his reach and strength to defend. He needs to work on his transition and overall mobility as well as improve his physical play as he comes off as somewhat soft.” – Future Considerations

Although Mantha has improved offensively, defensively he still lacks the physical game and he doesn’t have the best coverage in his own zone. Still, he should be expected to be picked up around the fourth or fifth round again as he would add great depth to a defensively depleted roster.

He's the captain for the Ice Dogs, and hopefully his mobility has improved to support his defensive game. If not, he still has time when he transitions to the pro game. Sounds like Betker but right handed.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 March 2017 13:56]

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #687972 is a reply to message #687970 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

2 Cups

I approve of this!

Survivor 52 CHAMP

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #687975 is a reply to message #687972 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

4 Cups

Interesting. Could he be the next Colton Paranyko?

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #687976 is a reply to message #687970 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Maybe that's why they opened a spot with Davidson, and another when Rheinhart goes to Vegas. And then both Caleb Jones and Ethan Bear coming up in the next two years.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #687978 is a reply to message #687976 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

I like that Chia is building on a pretty solid D prospect pool. The guy is HUGE, hope he's improved in some of the areas since his pre-draft report.

I like to build stuff & things.
https://www.somethingedgy.ca/
I make music too.
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/undermaker442/inexplicable

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #687980 is a reply to message #687976 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 14:40

Maybe that's why they opened a spot with Davidson, and another when Rheinhart goes to Vegas. And then both Caleb Jones and Ethan Bear coming up in the next two years.

The Oilers already have Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse all ahead of Davidson on the left side. Then there is Reinhart who's taking a step. Simpson didn't look horrible in his first few games up. Osterle you can spot in.

Maybe I am wrong but I don't see Vegas taking Reinhart.

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #687981 is a reply to message #687980 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 14:52

The Oilers already have Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse all ahead of Davidson on the left side. Then there is Reinhart who's taking a step. Simpson didn't look horrible in his first few games up. Osterle you can spot in.

I think we'll have to see him in an NHL game before we can believe that Reinhart's taken a step forward. You'll notice despite the repeated discussion point that he's been so much better, he's never the guy getting called up, and he's not played in a single NHL match this year.

I'm not going to guess who Vegas is going to take until the protected lists are out. It's certainly not the end of the world if Reinhart goes...I think best we can hope for him is to be a 5/6/7 guy at the NHL level. We can always find another Gryba.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #687985 is a reply to message #687981 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 14:59

I think we'll have to see him in an NHL game before we can believe that Reinhart's taken a step forward. You'll notice despite the repeated discussion point that he's been so much better, he's never the guy getting called up, and he's not played in a single NHL match this year.

I'm not going to guess who Vegas is going to take until the protected lists are out. It's certainly not the end of the world if Reinhart goes...I think best we can hope for him is to be a 5/6/7 guy at the NHL level. We can always find another Gryba.

My comment about Reinhart is I am just going by what I have heard from the Condors coach when he comes on the afternoon talk shows and how well he has played. If I am the Oilers, I wouldn't call him up unless absolutely necessary. Let him be down there playing big minutes, in all situations.

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #687997 is a reply to message #687985 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Agree, Some players especially D do take longer and they don't want to screw it up this time. It may also have something to do with his contract but I think he'll be an Oiler next season and a regular. If they let him go after all this, I'd be disappointed. The Mantha kid looks really promising and will probably have to pay his dues in the minors as well.

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #687994 is a reply to message #687981 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 14:59

His growth curve reminds me, unfortunately, of Alex Plante. I was hoping for much more when the Oilers traded for him, but I wouldn't miss him if he's gone, and I would, perhaps be looking to move him or hoping Vegas takes him. I'm not convinced there's much of a prospect there, and I think all of Oesterle, Bear, and Jones might be better prospect within the next year or two. Top end projections might be a Thomas Hickey at this point.

The Oilers have some decent depth in this spot, and it's nice. It DOES make the loss of Davidson easier... I just am not tickled about the return or the asset management. And certainly it's good to keep adding to the prospect pool because you never know who will be the guys who rise up and develop into prospects.

Literally know nothing about Mantha. It's the use of a contract, so it's not nothing, but the cost of acquitition is certainly decent.

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #687982 is a reply to message #687980 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

I'm with you there. The mock drafts I've seen show Vegas being thinnest up front so I don't think taking a forward is out of the question. I could see Pakarinen being the odd man out or even AHL stud Anton Lander.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 March 2017 15:02]

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #687986 is a reply to message #687982 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

DUFFMAN wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 15:00

I'm with you there. The mock drafts I've seen show Vegas being thinnest up front so I don't think taking a forward is out of the question. I could see Pakarinen being the odd man out or even AHL stud Anton Lander.

If I am Vegas, when it comes to dmen I am taking as many establishes guys as I can vs taking a chance on a guy like Reinhart. I think there will be good goalies out there and there are going to be some reasonable dmen made available who are more established than Reinhart. There are going to be teams like a Nashville, Minnie, Ducks, Jets to name a few who have deep defense cores who have guys in their 3rd pair that play top 4 on a lot of teams.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 March 2017 15:11]

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #687993 is a reply to message #687980 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

My pick for Vegas? Laurent Brossoit. He's a goalie that still has a year of waiver exemption, if I'm not mistaken. If they want to build a pipeline and have a prospect in the system, I think LB makes a lot of sense.

Leaves the Oilers without much behind Talbot - I doubt Nick Ellis is ready for NHL employment - and so by trading Davidson, I think we might lose both him and Brossoit.

Just speculation, but that ability to have a young goalie prospect in the system that doesn't require waivers, I think that could be attractive.

But who knows? Originally I thought it would be Yakupov, then Davidson, now it's a crapshoot.

EDIT: Nevermind. LB requires waivers next year. So back to not really knowing who will leave. I'm hoping the pluck a Top-4 guy for cheap still, which would change who is available anyways.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 March 2017 15:59]

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #687995 is a reply to message #687980 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 13:52

Who else then? Hopefully Pouliot, but they'd have to be desperate.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #687998 is a reply to message #687995 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 16:44

Vegas will have a hard time scoring so maybe Pouliot. Prior to this season, Pouliot was on pace for more than 20 goals his first season. Maybe that is wishful thinking though all the advanced stats guys love him. Another wishful thinking maybe but what about Fayne? Again, all the advanced stats guys love him. He's a vet and Vegas will need vets on the back end. Big thing is he is a right shot which as we know in Edmonton, aren't easy to get. I am not a fan of Fayne but I would take him over Reinhart just because he's a proven player.

Depending on who they protect, maybe a Pakarinen or a Kharia? Regardless, I am not worried about who they lose.

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #688441 is a reply to message #687995 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Is Kassian likely to be protected?

#firebob

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #688444 is a reply to message #688441 ]
Fri, 10 March 2017 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 18:03

Is Kassian likely to be protected?

That depends. If the Oilers take advantage of opposing teams and snatch a defenceman that someone else can't protect, they'll need to expose more forwards - but it would be both Maroon and Kassian open.

If they hold the course, then they'll protect 29, 93, 14, 27 (NMC), 2 (NMC), 77, 6, and likely 19 & 44.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #715074 is a reply to message #688444 ]
Wed, 30 May 2018 10:40 Go to previous message
GabbyDugan is currently online GabbyDugan

1 Cup

....Jim Matheson explains what happened with Ryan Mantha this past season....

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers /edmonton-oilers-prospect-ryan-mantha-feels-he-will-see-his- way-back-to-hockey-rink/wcm/d0f6f639-be6e-4726-9753-5b80bd6f 5ee8

....good luck with Mr. Mantha's recovery....the signs are good - hope all turns out well....

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #687988 is a reply to message #687970 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

I am more confused by this by anything Chia has done, never heard of him, and everyone is loving it.

I'm like a Tier 3 fan. cry

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #687990 is a reply to message #687988 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 15:15

I am more confused by this by anything Chia has done, never heard of him, and everyone is loving it.

I'm like a Tier 3 fan. cry

Zero Cups. Story checks out.

This is fine.

Re: Oilers Sign Ryan Mantha [message #687992 is a reply to message #687990 ]
Wed, 01 March 2017 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 01 March 2017 15:19

Zero Cups. Story checks out.

I just Googled his name and all I saw was images of a green insect-type creature in sort of a praying position.

Oh wait I Googled "Mantis".

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Previous Topic:Oilers Sign Goalie Nick Ellis
Next Topic:Yawney & Gulutzan Confirmed to Join Coaching Staff
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca