F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » UFA Shopping Lists
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 UFA Shopping Lists [message #673453]
Mon, 27 June 2016 11:09 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

So the window shopping period of free agency is now upon us, and we should start hearing rumours of who was through which city to check out the amenities and facilities.

Given what we have up front, and the need for money to address the back-end, barring some trade, I would really like to see the Oilers leave the high-end forwards alone. I don't think we need to be heavily in the chase to overpay Stamkos, Lucic, Eric Staal, Okposo, or Backes.

Our position of greatest need is still right-shot defencemen, but it's slim pickings. There's Jason Demers, Roman Polak and then a whole lot of nobodies. If you could get Luke Schenn to a cheap deal, maybe he'd be alright as a second or third pairing guy, but I think someone still pays him because he's got some name recognition.

For the lefties, I might take a flyer on a one-year deal with Brian Campbell if the money was right. Hamhuis would be okay too.

We also need a back-up goalie. I like Jhonas Enroth. Chad Johnson puts up solid numbers as a back-up. And there's always James Reimer if he has a tough time finding a team. I don't mind having two very good options in goal.

Anyone else that should be on our shopping list?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Send a private message to this user  

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673468 is a reply to message #673453 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rrathel716  is currently offline rrathel716

No Cups

Ok first off I agree to disagree about the forward, if we would sign Lucic is he better than Pouliot? Would he be a better protector than Pouliot? The answer is yes you always need a deterrent that can put up points and with McJesus he will put on plenty and will make sure nobody takes liberties on McJesus or Puljujarvi. So then you have options to deal RNH, Pouliot and Eberle to get a defense plus a trhird line center but like Chiarelli said the right deal not the desesperate deal and that is exactly what it would happened if he dealt at the draft.

Personnaly I would like to sign Lucic, Demers plus trade for another defenseman then get rid of all extra pieces for nest year draft and maybe some prospects because our farm team is pretty thin especially on forwards. If you cannot find an upgrade on Yakupov then play him with Hall and Draisaitl and see what will happened. If you get rid of RNH, Eberle and Pouliot that's 16 millions free you can use to sign Lucic, Demers and the other defenseman.

Patience is a virtue then the prices will go down soon and we will get the bang for the buck

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673469 is a reply to message #673468 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

rrathel716 wrote on Mon, 27 June 2016 12:43

you always need a deterrent that can put up points

Why?

Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Washington don't have one and they've been fine.
Curious why you figure that is a need

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673472 is a reply to message #673469 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rrathel716  is currently offline rrathel716

No Cups

Why?

Because our star center is a rookie and need to be surrounded by players that will take care of him and make the other team realize it is a bad idea to take liberties on him. If that person is the most fear forward in the NHL and can play hockey so why not until the team is more mature

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673473 is a reply to message #673472 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

rrathel716 wrote on Mon, 27 June 2016 12:58

Why?

Because our star center is a rookie and need to be surrounded by players that will take care of him and make the other team realize it is a bad idea to take liberties on him. If that person is the most fear forward in the NHL and can play hockey so why not until the team is more mature

I guess.
Though I'd rather our entire team become just more accountable and tougher to play against rather than just having the one deterrant. Take the odd slashing or elbowing penalty rather than skating off to the bench head down like we've seen so often over the past few years.

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673470 is a reply to message #673468 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

1 Cup

rrathel716 wrote on Mon, 27 June 2016 12:43

Ok first off I agree to disagree about the forward, if we would sign Lucic is he better than Pouliot? Would he be a better protector than Pouliot? The answer is yes you always need a deterrent that can put up points and with McJesus he will put on plenty and will make sure nobody takes liberties on McJesus or Puljujarvi. So then you have options to deal RNH, Pouliot and Eberle to get a defense plus a trhird line center but like Chiarelli said the right deal not the desesperate deal and that is exactly what it would happened if he dealt at the draft.

Personnaly I would like to sign Lucic, Demers plus trade for another defenseman then get rid of all extra pieces for nest year draft and maybe some prospects because our farm team is pretty thin especially on forwards. If you cannot find an upgrade on Yakupov then play him with Hall and Draisaitl and see what will happened. If you get rid of RNH, Eberle and Pouliot that's 16 millions free you can use to sign Lucic, Demers and the other defenseman.

Patience is a virtue then the prices will go down soon and we will get the bang for the buck

Whether we want him or not, we all need to brace ourselves and get comfortable with the idea of Lucic on the Oilers. It's happening whether we like it or not! I'm just hoping it's less than 5 years.

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673474 is a reply to message #673453 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 27 June 2016 11:09

So the window shopping period of free agency is now upon us, and we should start hearing rumours of who was through which city to check out the amenities and facilities.

Given what we have up front, and the need for money to address the back-end, barring some trade, I would really like to see the Oilers leave the high-end forwards alone. I don't think we need to be heavily in the chase to overpay Stamkos, Lucic, Eric Staal, Okposo, or Backes.

Our position of greatest need is still right-shot defencemen, but it's slim pickings. There's Jason Demers, Roman Polak and then a whole lot of nobodies. If you could get Luke Schenn to a cheap deal, maybe he'd be alright as a second or third pairing guy, but I think someone still pays him because he's got some name recognition.

For the lefties, I might take a flyer on a one-year deal with Brian Campbell if the money was right. Hamhuis would be okay too.

We also need a back-up goalie. I like Jhonas Enroth. Chad Johnson puts up solid numbers as a back-up. And there's always James Reimer if he has a tough time finding a team. I don't mind having two very good options in goal.

Anyone else that should be on our shopping list?

I think it really depends on the D trade market right now. Chia should have a grasp now of what is realistically available and the ask for each.
Depending on the quality of player coming back there may be salary and top 6 roster spots opened up. If that is the case I am fine with a guy like Lucic.
If we cant pick up a D by trade or if we get one for assets that dont move guys like Hall, Pouliot, Eberle etc then I see now point in chasing the guys like Lucic on the left or Okposo on the right.

Save the cap space for extensions as they are needed and then shop the bargain bin for role players, backup goalie, etc.

Basically two opposite strategies based on the reality of a trade happening.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673498 is a reply to message #673474 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

Bruins didn't qualify B. Ferraro & B. Connonoly so you can add them to the lists of UFA's now. There qualifiers were fairly high for what they were bringing to the team looks like.

The Cap is starting to really come into play now more than ever.

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673499 is a reply to message #673498 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jakey wrote on Mon, 27 June 2016 15:38

Bruins didn't qualify B. Ferraro & B. Connonoly so you can add them to the lists of UFA's now. There qualifiers were fairly high for what they were bringing to the team looks like.

Joe Colborne not qualified by the Flames too...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673508 is a reply to message #673499 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 27 June 2016 15:41

Jakey wrote on Mon, 27 June 2016 15:38

Joe Colborne not qualified by the Flames too...

That is quite a way to make cap space. Wow! I thought he was an integral top 9 forward for them. Very interesting.

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673510 is a reply to message #673508 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Brandon Pirri not qualified either. Man they are some decent top 9 forwards that will be had for cheap on July 1st. All the money going to true top 6 forwards, top 4 dmen & starting goalies.

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673518 is a reply to message #673510 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lowebudget  is currently offline lowebudget

No Cups

Devante Smith-Pelley not qualified. Would think he'd make a nice replacement for Yak if/when he's traded?

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673520 is a reply to message #673518 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Red Rage  is currently offline Red Rage

No Cups

lowebudget wrote on Mon, 27 June 2016 16:34

Devante Smith-Pelley not qualified. Would think he'd make a nice replacement for Yak if/when he's traded?

The next will be his 4th team over 3 seasons (Ana to Mtl to NJ) ... that type of frequency makes me a little leery. Anybody got any dirt on him?

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673521 is a reply to message #673520 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Red Rage wrote on Mon, 27 June 2016 15:39

The next will be his 4th team over 3 seasons (Ana to Mtl to NJ) ... that type of frequency makes me a little leery. Anybody got any dirt on him?

I think his main problem is speed.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673541 is a reply to message #673521 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 27 June 2016 16:41

Red Rage wrote on Mon, 27 June 2016 15:39

I think his main problem is speed.

I'm wondering what the deal is with Brandon Pirri. His numbers suggest he shouldn't be traded for a sixth round pick or not given a qualifying offer. 13 goals (25 points) two years ago, 22 goals (24 points) last year, 14 goals (29 points) this year. He seems like a solid, young third liner, but he's bouncing around and being shipped off at alarming rates.

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673519 is a reply to message #673510 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jakey wrote on Mon, 27 June 2016 15:21

Brandon Pirri not qualified either. Man they are some decent top 9 forwards that will be had for cheap on July 1st. All the money going to true top 6 forwards, top 4 dmen & starting goalies.

There is going to soon be a two tiers of NHL players, top half and bottom half. The cap assures that. So not everyone is cheering for Steve Stamkos to get his $11M 10 year contract, the team he goes to will not be able to pay its young ELC and RFA players close to what they are worth, and the older guys in the bottom half of forwards or defensemen will have to be extremely cheap, with talent likely to match. You'll need to roll the cheap players every year to meet the cap, and to have success they'll to be picked wisely. Kind of where Chicago has been the last few years.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673530 is a reply to message #673453 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Goaltenders - James Reimer, Chad Johnson, Jeff Zatkoff, Karri Ramo.

Defensemen - Jason Demers. (I think we're going to have to make a trade for AT LEAST one of these two spots).

Forwards -

Honestly, it depends entirely on what other moves are made, and what is traded to bring in a defensemen.

If RNH or Draisailt is moved, 3C of interest - Frans Nielsen, Joe Colborne, Matt Cullen. To a lesser extent, Shawn Matthias and Darren Helm.

If two of Jordan Eberle, Benoit Pouliot and Nail Yakupov are moved, RWs of interest: Thomas Vanek, Loui Eriksson, Kyle Okposo, Troy Brouwer, Devante Smith-Pelly, Beau Bennett.

The goalie and defensemen are kind of easy targets. The forwards rely much more upon other moves, as right now we are actually a little overstocked in some areas (not to say they couldn't be improved).

I'm also not 100% opposed to Milan Lucic. Maybe it's that I've come to accept it, but I also understand the appeal of it. I'm not convinced it's a contract the Oilers don't regret in the end, but I think it's hard to say that it would make them more competitive in the next few seasons, and maybe that's worth it. He would look pretty great riding shotgun for McDavid and Eberle/Yakupov/Puljujarvi.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 June 2016 18:18]

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673542 is a reply to message #673453 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Some big names from the 2010 Draft not getting offers:

#6 Brett Connolly
#20 Beau Bennett
#22 Jarred Tinordi
#25 Quinton Howden
#38 Jon Merrill
#42 Devonte Smith-Pelly

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673546 is a reply to message #673542 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

Surprised the Flames only qualified 4 out of 13. That's a huge amount they cut bait with.

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673548 is a reply to message #673546 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Mon, 27 June 2016 17:35

Surprised the Flames only qualified 4 out of 13. That's a huge amount they cut bait with.

Maybe it's a sign Burke isn't calling the shots for player personnel anymore?
Which is too bad for an Oiler fan.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673547 is a reply to message #673542 ]
Mon, 27 June 2016 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 27 June 2016 17:18

Some big names from the 2010 Draft not getting offers:

#6 Brett Connolly
#20 Beau Bennett
#22 Jarred Tinordi
#25 Quinton Howden
#38 Jon Merrill
#42 Devonte Smith-Pelly

Not surprised at Connolly, never thought he was as good as he rated.
Surprised at Tinordi, Oilers were rumoured to try and trade for him when he was with the Habs. Probably speed is an issue, without that, he might just be a D. Musil type.

I haven't seen a lot of the others play, although I saw Quinton on the TC juniors, looked OK, he's 24, a center, was a 1st round pick with Florida. Florida doing a lot of strange things these days, maybe Howden can play.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673565 is a reply to message #673453 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

According to Pierre Lebrun, Lucic and Demers are in the city today.

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673568 is a reply to message #673565 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 08:55

I hope we sign every UFA and trade whichever assets we don't need, including the newly signed UFAs. It's a huge asset grab, and I don't know why this method isn't employed more often.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673572 is a reply to message #673568 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 09:32

I hope we sign every UFA and trade whichever assets we don't need, including the newly signed UFAs. It's a huge asset grab, and I don't know why this method isn't employed more often.

I would guess there's a few factors:

1) No-move clauses are common with UFA contracts.

2) If you outbid everyone else for a player, then theoretically, you've paid a higher price than they were willing to pay for that player. They're unlikely to take the contract that was higher than they valued the player.

3) UFA is seen as the player's first real ability to control their own fate. If you immediately trade a guy after he signs with you, that could impact your ability to sign others in the future.

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673648 is a reply to message #673572 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 16:09 Go to previous message
PoolParty  is currently offline PoolParty

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 10:03

I would guess there's a few factors:

1) No-move clauses are common with UFA contracts.

2) If you outbid everyone else for a player, then theoretically, you've paid a higher price than they were willing to pay for that player. They're unlikely to take the contract that was higher than they valued the player.

3) UFA is seen as the player's first real ability to control their own fate. If you immediately trade a guy after he signs with you, that could impact your ability to sign others in the future.

If GMPC trades a guy after he signs he will lose some of his phones..........

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool of bitching and whining about the same topics consistently.

#Adam #Kr55 #CrusaderPi #inverno76

#RDOilerfan is possibly reformed, time will tell.

Re: UFA Shopping Lists [message #673573 is a reply to message #673568 ]
Tue, 28 June 2016 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I feel like the New York Rangers tried this strategy in the late-1990s.

Previous Topic:No D Trades - Is anyone else disappointed?
Next Topic:Musil Qualified
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca