This day on August 13
Acquired: Chris Ferraro (1998)
Departed: Bill McDougall (1993) Bobby Allen (2004)

Happy Birthday To: Ales Hemsky, Big Bart, drummerinblack, oilers_diva05, Loyal2theOil

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #16)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: [message #388129 is a reply to message #388066 ]
Wed, 07 November 2007 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

Meh, seeing Marty in a shootout was a disappointment after a good game. Hopefully they take all the positives from this game and build on them. The Flames are struggling, Kipper isn't up to his old self yet, so maybe they can steal 2 and get out of town quickly.

It'd be nice since I'm wandering into the lions den Saturday night

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: [message #388161 is a reply to message #388129 ]
Wed, 07 November 2007 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6zeppelin6  is currently offline 6zeppelin6

No Cups

Ya he isn't a pure bred scorer (reasoner) but he has some good moves in the SO which he is known for. Not a bad choice at all.

When you get all set to watch the game, and within 10 minutes the Oilers are losing:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2wd0gth.gif

Re: Review: [message #388165 is a reply to message #388161 ]
Wed, 07 November 2007 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

1 Cup

6zeppelin6 wrote on Wed, 07 November 2007 22:54

Ya he isn't a pure bred scorer (reasoner) but he has some good moves in the SO which he is known for. Not a bad choice at all.

You cant be serious with that.

Reasoner over Nilsson? I'd put freaking Garon in before Marty for crissakes.

Dumb dumb move.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: [message #388210 is a reply to message #388165 ]
Thu, 08 November 2007 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

2 Cups

nik- wrote on Wed, 07 November 2007 22:59

6zeppelin6 wrote on Wed, 07 November 2007 22:54

You cant be serious with that.

Reasoner over Nilsson? I'd put freaking Garon in before Marty for crissakes.

Dumb dumb move.

Reasoner had a much better shot than Gagner or Hemsky. He hit the post after beating Budaj, which is what happened just prior when Joe Sakic took his shot on Roli. I was yelling just as much as everyone was when I saw him skate to center ice, and I was one of the first to buy my "skid MacT" bandwagon bus pass several years ago, but I also fully admit when I get it wrong and he gets it right.

I was also pleasantly surprised with Torres in the shootout.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Review: [message #388228 is a reply to message #388210 ]
Thu, 08 November 2007 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6zeppelin6  is currently offline 6zeppelin6

No Cups

Ya and reasoner has scored before

When you get all set to watch the game, and within 10 minutes the Oilers are losing:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2wd0gth.gif

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #16) [message #388133 is a reply to message #388066 ]
Wed, 07 November 2007 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Superintendent  is currently offline Superintendent

1 Cup

While it's tough to take positives out of an SO loss against a div opponent, given the situation, I have to:

-COL was 7-1 on home ice and we took them to the SO.
-We are without our top 2 defensemen and our captain, I think the only injury they have is Leopold
-Great game by Hemmer with his goal, Nilsson with his finess and D, Cogliano creating chances, Smid playing the body and that rush, Gilbert steady
-Why the hell was there no tripping call against COL when Grebeshkov was taken down on the PP in the third...looked blatantly easy to call.
-That post with about 10 seconds left in the 3rd sure stung...would have been a nice finish
-Similar to the last EDM/COL game, Ryan Smyth did not look like a forward you want to be paying $7.5million this year.

3 min to go and PHO/ANA tied at 5...would make the night a little less painful if Doan netted a winner in regulation.

EDIT ADD: Doan unfortunately doesn't get it done in reg but does limit the quaks to a point thanks to his OT goal. We remain 4 points back of the team who's 1st rounders we swapped with a game at hand.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 November 2007 22:49]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #16) [message #388139 is a reply to message #388133 ]
Wed, 07 November 2007 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greatgazoo  is currently offline greatgazoo

No Cups

Everyone should keep in mind that tonight's game was a no-hitter! Hemsky got to fly around because the Avs were not into this game and did not take the body. When their best player is a 3rd line checker (Laperriere) and they still manage to beat us, it should send up RED FLAGS to the Oilers executive.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #16) [message #388220 is a reply to message #388139 ]
Thu, 08 November 2007 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

1 Cup

greatgazoo wrote on Thu, 08 November 2007 02:02

When their best player is a 3rd line checker (Laperriere) and they still manage to beat us, it should send up RED FLAGS to the Oilers executive.

Don't confuse "most productive on the night" with "best".

As for Reasoner, apparently, he's quite the scorer in practice. Though I will say, given the way several Oilers were buzzing with the puck, I think I'd have saved Marty for later and went with one of the seemingly hot hands. The way Cogs was dangling tonight, I'd have let him try one. He may have had Budaj deeked out before he hit the blueline.

Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #16) [message #388137 is a reply to message #388066 ]
Wed, 07 November 2007 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bobblehead  is currently offline Bobblehead

No Cups

Guys showed some hustle, hopefully they can keep it up. Nilsson looked very good, Hemmer too. I love the way Gilbert plays. Torres was a demon, too bad he can't finish better. Roli stepped it up in the second after a couple of really weak goals. Smid and Brodziak had solid games too. Stoll looked better but he's got a long way to go.

This team gets no respect from the refs, Stortini's penalty was cheap, you could see the Av player was diving for the puck and what the ---- on the PP in the third when Grebs got tripped up by Sakic...if it'd been the other way around you know we would've been down two bodies!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #16) [message #388143 is a reply to message #388137 ]
Wed, 07 November 2007 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

I thought Roli cost us the game personally. Some pretty weak goals tonight. It would be nice if MacTball had the guts to play Garon more than one game at a time.

Great choice on the shootout MacTball. Lose another 10 in a row. I know you can find a way.

So this is what hope feels like?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #16) [message #388151 is a reply to message #388143 ]
Wed, 07 November 2007 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beerfish Revisited  is currently offline Beerfish Revisited

1 Cup

Reasoner obviously has some shoot out skill, he was unlucky to score I'm not going to rag on MacT over that and I'm one of the biggest MacT disapprovers out there. The Oilers were unlucky to not win that game and I don't often say that. Most of the team played well and if they lost most of their games that way it wouldn't be near as painful as when they go into 4 game goal scoring slumps.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #16) [message #388152 is a reply to message #388151 ]
Wed, 07 November 2007 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beerfish Revisited  is currently offline Beerfish Revisited

1 Cup

I'm not in favour of getting any enforcer here. Not as long as MacT is the coach. It will do no good at all.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #16) [message #388167 is a reply to message #388151 ]
Wed, 07 November 2007 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OldGreyMonkey  is currently offline OldGreyMonkey

No Cups

Beerfish Revisited wrote on Wed, 07 November 2007 22:47

Reasoner obviously has some shoot out skill, he was unlucky to score I'm not going to rag on MacT over that and I'm one of the biggest MacT disapprovers out there. The Oilers were unlucky to not win that game and I don't often say that. Most of the team played well and if they lost most of their games that way it wouldn't be near as painful as when they go into 4 game goal scoring slumps.

He may have the odd move like most at this level are capapble of, but him getting the tap from MacT - when Reasoner has been THAT ice cold to start the year - is just plain old stupid. It is more proof positive that MacT rides hunches instead of concentrating on making better in-game decisions. Not smart bench coaching, and we've seen it from him time & again.
Cogliano is all over the ice...crist even Gilbert was doing everything but scoring...

But...nah...

Marty and his zero goals will save our day. Yup. crazy

Happy to announce a permanent Oilfan vacation.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #16) [message #388365 is a reply to message #388167 ]
Thu, 08 November 2007 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

Actually Gilbert did score didnt he? Or did they end up giving that one to Tarny?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #16) [message #388259 is a reply to message #388151 ]
Thu, 08 November 2007 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Beerfish Revisited wrote on Wed, 07 November 2007 22:47

Yes, if that's the only stone people can throw after that game, then it's a pretty good game. Shootouts are practiced, and some players may excel at them, even if they're not usually found around the goal. Jussi Jokinen only had 14 goals last year, but probably had as many again in the shootout. I was surprised to see Reasoner come out, but give credit where it's due...he beat the goalie, but hit the post.

Good hard-working game. Strong effort on the road against a pretty decent team. Smyth shut down again, didn't look like a factor against us. 17 shots between Torres and Horcoff and no goals...that's exceedingly bad luck, but if those two keep working like that, they're going to get their points. It was definitely a very enjoyable and exciting game to watch. Sadly, we're on the wrong end of the ledger again, but at least this time we get a point.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Review: [message #388164 is a reply to message #388066 ]
Wed, 07 November 2007 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jadrain  is currently offline jadrain

No Cups

We got about what we deserved in this one. The team showed up and played with jump, created a lot offensively, and in general looked like the youngest team in the league, with a lot of potential, just maybe going to gel and turn the corner at some point this season. But done in by a skeletal defense, hit and miss goaltending, and an inability to finish. We've been scoring 0-2 goals a night. So we get 3, but it takes about 15 beautiful chances.

Nilsson should have been rewarded at some point for what he's created the last two games. Hemsky also deserved much more than he got. Raffi was just flying, ten shots (!) with no payoff. I'm glad he scored in the shootout. Weirdly, almost all his ten shots were atypical - slappers and such. His shootout goal was what he does best, the little take-something-off-it opportunistic snipe through the fivehole.

Smid was all over the place. Ultimately, this guy may have been rushed to the NHL. Boy, would he benefit from being the sixth-seventh defenseman at this point.

More positives than negatives, though. Gilbert's going to be a genuine horse in this league for a long time.

Wait a month and cross your fingers. Add Souray, Pitkanen, Moreau to this mix, give the youngsters and additions more time to gel, this season could still take off.

Re: Review: [message #388171 is a reply to message #388164 ]
Wed, 07 November 2007 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Superintendent  is currently offline Superintendent

1 Cup

jadrain wrote on Wed, 07 November 2007 22:58

Wait a month and cross your fingers. Add Souray, Pitkanen, Moreau to this mix, give the youngsters and additions more time to gel, this season could still take off.

Agreed...and even if we don't make the playoffs...if we put forth efforts like this, continue to grow this young core, we will be fine in future years.

I remain hopeful that when the vets return, we do enough to at least get us out of the bottom 5-6 teams in the league and keep Burke away from some true blue-chippers. Outside chance of sneaking into the playoffs which would be one helluva milestone given the way this year has unfolded thus far.

Re: Review: [message #388176 is a reply to message #388171 ]
Wed, 07 November 2007 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greatgazoo  is currently offline greatgazoo

No Cups

Happy for one good effort a week...oh boy now we're sounding like Leaf fans!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #16) [message #388192 is a reply to message #388066 ]
Wed, 07 November 2007 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

A solid effort by Grebs in allowing the game tying goal. If he's not falling on the ice, he's fanning on passes, screwing things up when the offense is in the attack zone, and finding other ways to just botch the perfect team setup.

Guy needs to get rid of his ego and work on basics bc I refuse to believe that trading MAB could only yield a crappier version with no offensive punch.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #16) [message #388211 is a reply to message #388192 ]
Thu, 08 November 2007 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

2 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Wed, 07 November 2007 23:55

A solid effort by Grebs in allowing the game tying goal. If he's not falling on the ice, he's fanning on passes, screwing things up when the offense is in the attack zone, and finding other ways to just botch the perfect team setup.

Guy needs to get rid of his ego and work on basics bc I refuse to believe that trading MAB could only yield a crappier version with no offensive punch.

I thought he had a couple of decent blocked shots and looked about on par with the rest of the D (Staois, Tarnstrom).

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

I don't know... [message #388212 is a reply to message #388211 ]
Thu, 08 November 2007 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AY  is currently offline AY

1 Cup

I just keep seein' the same things over and over and over with #37.

Im my opinion, he's really miscast as an NHL'er.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #16) [message #388213 is a reply to message #388211 ]
Thu, 08 November 2007 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilfanforever!!  is currently offline Oilfanforever!!

No Cups

I have to say i've been pretty down about this team for a while now but tonight was a totally different team!! wow! Reminded me of that team that won their first two games then ran into Detroit but had a gutsy game there too!! If the boys can keep up what they did tonight they should win more than a few games!! Overall a vastly more intense game - we were beating them to the puck and even hitting none of which i've seen in the past 6-7 games!! Good job boys you should be proud!!
Anyone else notice how insignificant Smytty has been in the two games against us?
His shots on goal have been less than stellar - his effort seems not there - anyone think he just bleeds copper and blue so much he can't bring himself to score a goal on us?!
Maybe a backroom agreement with Klowe to not score on us!! lol ok now I'm reaching but I swear he looks like he's letting up on us!! I could be tired maybe!!!
Anyways - Good game guys!! You've given this diehard but dejected Oiler fan some semblance of hope!!
Thanks!!
God I love this team!!
Go Oilers Go!!

"McDavid is as good as I’ve seen in the last 30 years, the best player to come into the league in the last 30 years." Gretzky

"I think it goes without saying that there is a lot of pressure on me," McDavid

Being cynical isn't fun... [message #388216 is a reply to message #388213 ]
Thu, 08 November 2007 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

but we were discussing perspective here at the Big Time awhile ago and let's utilize the concept here and now.

EDM's effort was fine 'n' dandy, but let's keep in mind this was against a COL team with a 7-1 home record and in full knowledge the Oilers are at the bottom of the standings, plagued by all sorts of demons.

COL could be found guilty of takin' the Oilers a lil' lightly, y'know? Not exactly bringin' their A game for a full or near sixty minutes.

Re: Being cynical isn't fun... [message #388218 is a reply to message #388216 ]
Thu, 08 November 2007 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G-Star  is currently offline G-Star

No Cups

Glass is half empty isn't it doh
Geez the guys played decent and almost won the game against a good team on the road. Good job Oil icon_thumbsup I really wished we won here but still, one goal in the shootout and we won the game and no-one would have anything bad to say about the game.

Re: Being cynical isn't fun... [message #388221 is a reply to message #388218 ]
Thu, 08 November 2007 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

1 Cup

half-empty. If Andy's glass was half-empty, he'd be an optimist. He can find the black cloud on any sunny day; probably complained about Gretzky's offence back in the early 80s.

Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: Being cynical isn't fun... [message #388239 is a reply to message #388221 ]
Thu, 08 November 2007 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

Torres played his best game of the year. He had 10 shots on goal, numerous scoring chances and set up a couple of other ones that didn't go in.

The hockey gods weren't nice to the Oil last night...they should have won.

Roloson was brutal on the first goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Being cynical isn't fun... [message #388245 is a reply to message #388239 ]
Thu, 08 November 2007 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jets Fan  is currently offline Jets Fan

No Cups

In the second period I had to keep looking at the caption box to see if we were on a penalty, excellent effort.

Re: Being cynical isn't fun... [message #388249 is a reply to message #388245 ]
Thu, 08 November 2007 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goalpost  is currently offline goalpost

No Cups

That was a good game by the Oilers. As is to be expected in any game, we fell apart at times, but you could see that we had a defined breakout system, which the players were following, and were set-up to cycle down low on the offensive zone.
The effort last night was heads above anything the Oilers have left on the ice for at least the last 5 games. While a win is preferrable, the Oilers played well last night and deserve a pat on the back. I only hope that we start to have a consistent effort / play from the team.
As for Reasoner in the shootouts, imo the shootout is a skill in itself. A player may not have the offensive wherewithal to score in a game, but may an excellent at shootouts. Dallas is a good example, they throw Zubov in their shootouts above Mike Modano.
Reasoner's effort in the shootout had a better chance of going in than both Gagner and Hemksy's as Budaj knew what each of them were doing before they pulled the move.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #16) [message #388279 is a reply to message #388066 ]
Thu, 08 November 2007 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Well, the effort was there at least, and the Oilers took an unlikely point out of Denver. Unfortunately, a division rival takes another 2 at the expense of the Oilers. I'm saying Roloson's first 2 goals against were soft (yes the 2nd was a deflection but it was from 30-35 feet out), and the outcome would have been much better if he'd stopped at least one of them.

The Calgary game will be close like this if the Oilers can generate another effort like this one.

Not thrilled with the overall outcome, but very happy with the work ethic, specifically with Torres and Hemsky, with kudos to Cogliano's third period.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #16) [message #388316 is a reply to message #388066 ]
Thu, 08 November 2007 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

If we could lose like that every night, I would be a very satisfied viewer.

A dose of motivation from our players, combined with Colorado's good O and crappy D made for a very entertaining night.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #16) [message #388320 is a reply to message #388316 ]
Thu, 08 November 2007 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Putting in the effort in one game though isn't about to cut it with me. We need to replicate the effort in every game. However this team seems to pick and choose when to put the effort in and it's normally against the teams we expect to lose too and don't put the effort in when we should be winning.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Yeah... [message #388380 is a reply to message #388316 ]
Fri, 09 November 2007 00:14 Go to previous message

1 Cup

from skimmin' over coach Q's comments to the Denver media y'know there was a lil' too much run 'n' gun to his liking, fo' sure.

But hockey players are human too, and COL's obviously saw a weaker opposition the other night they thought they could feast on.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #17)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #16)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca