This day on May 17
None

Happy Birthday To: vikingkid, Moreau#18

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27)
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #796090 is a reply to message #796086 ]
Thu, 16 December 2021 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 16 December 2021 09:22

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 16 December 2021 01:43

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 15 December 2021 23:13

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 15 December 2021 16:20

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 15 December 2021 17:01

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 15 December 2021 15:59

Adam wrote on Wed, 15 December 2021 16:42

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 15 December 2021 12:20

I am guessing it would be in bad taste to fire Tipp right now?

Novel idea. Bring in Woodcroft in the interim to run the team.

I think that Gulutzan needs some level of supervision. This really is the perfect time to bring MacTavish back in to the fold. He's been hanging around again recently too!

Also - if you need to fire Tippett in a socially distant manner, MacT is the master of that!

But!! Then we lose him from intermission panels.

Actually. I like MacT. I’d support a return behind the bench 😂

Forgot Babcock is a free agent. Lol. 99.99% chance Holland is giving him the first offer

He’s only a 5 hour drive away!!

At least 6 hours. He’d be detained for speeding after name dropping and acting like a total doooooosh.

In my experience, he’s not a great human.

Mike Babcock talking about Mike Babcock by referring to Mike Babcock in the 3rd person will at least be entertaining during Mike Babcock interviews about Mike Babcock.

In all seriousness, I wouldn’t complain about Gully getting a crack at being the bench boss here. I don’t mean during this Tippett quarantine, I mean with Tippett being fired.

Ugh - can't imagine having to sit through Mike Babcock press conferences...

I don't know much about coaching, so I really don't know who would best help the team if anyone, but I have a hard time believing that all of the guys that we've had in the bottom 6 are all terrible players. There has to be something systemic. Or the GM sucks. Or both. But until we fix our 5-5 woes, especially with McDavid and Draisaitl off the ice, this team will go nowhere. So whoever can do that is who I want.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #796091 is a reply to message #796090 ]
Thu, 16 December 2021 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 16 December 2021 07:35

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 16 December 2021 09:22

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 16 December 2021 01:43

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 15 December 2021 23:13

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 15 December 2021 16:20

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 15 December 2021 17:01

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 15 December 2021 15:59

Adam wrote on Wed, 15 December 2021 16:42

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 15 December 2021 12:20

I am guessing it would be in bad taste to fire Tipp right now?

Novel idea. Bring in Woodcroft in the interim to run the team.

I think that Gulutzan needs some level of supervision. This really is the perfect time to bring MacTavish back in to the fold. He's been hanging around again recently too!

Also - if you need to fire Tippett in a socially distant manner, MacT is the master of that!

But!! Then we lose him from intermission panels.

Actually. I like MacT. I’d support a return behind the bench 😂

Forgot Babcock is a free agent. Lol. 99.99% chance Holland is giving him the first offer

He’s only a 5 hour drive away!!

At least 6 hours. He’d be detained for speeding after name dropping and acting like a total doooooosh.

In my experience, he’s not a great human.

Mike Babcock talking about Mike Babcock by referring to Mike Babcock in the 3rd person will at least be entertaining during Mike Babcock interviews about Mike Babcock.

In all seriousness, I wouldn’t complain about Gully getting a crack at being the bench boss here. I don’t mean during this Tippett quarantine, I mean with Tippett being fired.

Ugh - can't imagine having to sit through Mike Babcock press conferences...

I don't know much about coaching, so I really don't know who would best help the team if anyone, but I have a hard time believing that all of the guys that we've had in the bottom 6 are all terrible players. There has to be something systemic. Or the GM sucks. Or both. But until we fix our 5-5 woes, especially with McDavid and Draisaitl off the ice, this team will go nowhere. So whoever can do that is who I want.

They aren’t useless. They are extremely limited because any sniff of danger in a game and the Coach throws McDavid and Draisaitl out for 75% (rough estimation) of the game. The rest of the lineup can’t get into a groove, they come off the bench to stretch their legs and then are called off for McDrai to ‘save’ them. It’s amazing having two of the best players in the league but the coach also treats them as the only path to victory and it has to be draining on the rest of the team, how do you stay engaged when you don’t get that trust and ice time from your coach? It’s been like this for years no matter who is in the bottom 9. Oh Koskinen let in an early one again and McDrai are thrown together to get it back.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27) [message #796093 is a reply to message #796091 ]
Thu, 16 December 2021 09:27 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 16 December 2021 07:26

They aren’t useless. They are extremely limited because any sniff of danger in a game and the Coach throws McDavid and Draisaitl out for 75% (rough estimation) of the game. The rest of the lineup can’t get into a groove, they come off the bench to stretch their legs and then are called off for McDrai to ‘save’ them. It’s amazing having two of the best players in the league but the coach also treats them as the only path to victory and it has to be draining on the rest of the team, how do you stay engaged when you don’t get that trust and ice time from your coach? It’s been like this for years no matter who is in the bottom 9. Oh Koskinen let in an early one again and McDrai are thrown together to get it back.

One of the issues is that you can't play McDavid and Draisaitl 75% of the game. There's probably a good argument to be made that load management could help them be more effective in the minutes they do play, but I think I saw a number recently on how much ES time is without them, and it was around 60%. That's one of the issues with reverting to the line with them together all the time - it means that 3 lines then don't have one of them, and then you have more of the game where the Oilers are playing without one of them on the ice. If they're on separate lines, then you'd expect that they'd be at 55%+ with at least one of them out.

When Nuge has been out without them, he's holding his own. Slightly negative but not disastrously so - so I do wonder what it looks like if all three centered their own lines. When it's anyone else, it's been death. As Mike says, it's hard to believe everyone we've signed over the last three years to man the bottom six is a complete stiff so at some point you have to start questioning the coach.

I could maybe get behind the idea that it's because they don't play enough time, but I don't think that's the case. The third line is getting pretty regular shifts under TIppett and often the fourth line isn't getting 4 minutes a night either most nights (unless Benson's playing. He's not a favourite of this head coach). And the fact that Nuge - usually with Hyman and Yamamoto - is negative coupled with the fact that McDavid's hovered around even all year when not with Draisaitl both are problematic for me with that theory. I think McDavid should tip the ice at even strength and he used to - so why aren't we better at 5v5 when he's on the ice at least?

To me, that's suggests some systemic issue.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #28)
Next Topic:GDT: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #27)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca