This day on June 4
None

Happy Birthday To: Taylor Fedun, 17CANIAC17, Mountainyeti, berniecarbo75, big_ugly, Blue.and.Copper.4.ever

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » No more HaaaaaasPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: No more Haaaaaas [message #787673 is a reply to message #787669 ]
Mon, 14 June 2021 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 14 June 2021 11:05

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 14 June 2021 09:46

The Leafs have been able to bring in a few vets who signed for the league minimum because they were Leafs fans as kids and it was their dream to play for them and for the most part, they were good signing as they were able to squeeze out whatever last drops of decent hockey was left in their bodies.

Tavares doesn't count in what I said but he was a guy who had the PJ's as a kid and supposedly turned down more money in season AAV to sign with the Leafs.

Spezza (38) has signed 2 1 yr 700K deals to play for the Leafs as a Toronto kid. first year 9 goals 25 pts in 58 games. This past season 10 goals, 30 pts 54 games. Both years that's pretty good bottom 6 production when you factor in the contract, it's great production.

Thornton (41) London kid. Signed 1 yr 700k. Not as good as Spezza production wise with 5 goals, 20 in 44 games. But there was times he was on their top line.

So are their any vets who were Oilers fans they could sign for basically nothing that fills in a role, maybe a bigger body that Ennis?

I don't think someone needs to have grown up an Oilers fan to sign for a cheap deal at the end of their career.

The number of times you see these excuses for poor Oilers management on twitter is incredible. I do expect the Oilers media to come up with lots of excuses for their buddies mismanaging the team, but why do so many Oilers fans do it? It must be Stockholm Syndrome or something. Makes me annoyed whenever I see something like that - "Edmonton's just not a place players want to come..." "Most players grew up in Ontario..." "There's so much happening in New York!" "Players just want to live on the beach in relative anonymity in LA or Florida..."

It's all excuses. We have the best player in the world, and another guy who's top five. That should be a hell of a sales pitch to anyone. I sure hope the management doesn't have this same stupid inferiority complex and isn't asking players because they assume they wouldn't come here. Corey Perry didn't grow up in Montreal and yet he signed with the Habs. It's management's job to find players, not overpay and convince them to come to Edmonton. The excuses for why they don't are just sickening.

I am not saying it 100% has to be guys who grew up Oilers fans, I was just curious if there was some because being a Leafs fan did play a factor in them willing to come for cheaper. At the end of the day, the importance is finding affordable guys that can fill a role.

Is there ever a time you don't turn every single post into another rant about why Oilers management sucks? It wouldn't surprise me if you could go into every thread on this site and see Adam going off on a rant about why they suck. I ask a question about who might be good vets to target and another rant.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: No more Haaaaaas [message #787677 is a reply to message #787673 ]
Mon, 14 June 2021 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 14 June 2021 11:36

I am not saying it 100% has to be guys who grew up Oilers fans, I was just curious if there was some because being a Leafs fan did play a factor in them willing to come for cheaper. At the end of the day, the importance is finding affordable guys that can fill a role.

Is there ever a time you don't turn every single post into another rant about why Oilers management sucks? It wouldn't surprise me if you could go into every thread on this site and see Adam going off on a rant about why they suck. I ask a question about who might be good vets to target and another rant.

Hey we can't all be blindly loyal fanboys with a never-ending fountain of enthusiasm for losing! What fun would that be?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: No more Haaaaaas [message #787687 is a reply to message #787677 ]
Mon, 14 June 2021 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 14 June 2021 11:56

Hey we can't all be blindly loyal fanboys with a never-ending fountain of enthusiasm for losing! What fun would that be?

I am not a blindly loyal fanboy. But I sometimes like to actually have a discussion about the team, who they should keep, who they should trade, who'd be a good target to sign vs the 10,000th rant from fans who like to railroad every conversation about why the GM for you name the year sucks.

Re: No more Haaaaaas [message #787690 is a reply to message #787687 ]
Mon, 14 June 2021 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 14 June 2021 13:15

Adam wrote on Mon, 14 June 2021 11:56

I am not a blindly loyal fanboy. But I sometimes like to actually have a discussion about the team, who they should keep, who they should trade, who'd be a good target to sign vs the 10,000th rant from fans who like to railroad every conversation about why the GM for you name the year sucks.

Maybe we need a scoreboard;
# of times Adam complains about management VS # of times RDOF complains about Adam VS RDOF posts that make PlusOne laugh at how ludicrous or hypocritical they are.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: No more Haaaaaas [message #787692 is a reply to message #787661 ]
Mon, 14 June 2021 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 14 June 2021 09:35

PlusOne wrote on Sat, 12 June 2021 20:44

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 11 June 2021 20:55

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 11 June 2021 15:52

Mike wrote on Fri, 11 June 2021 09:53

I'm so sick of bottom 6/9 guys where you really can't do much more than hope they break even. I don't want those guys anymore.

Someone mentioned Spezza and Thornton signing for close to league minimum. Ditto for Corey Perry. I know there are only a few of those every year, but people being paid millions per year to do this job should be finding these guys. They may not be world beaters, but when they are on the ice, there is at least a chance they will do better than break even.

And I don't want to let the brass off the hook, but AT LEAST get a good 3rd line (and 2nd). With 3 good lines, then you can afford a few minutes for a breather. You can't just have one line capable/likely to outscore the opposition. So they don't even need to find 7-8 guys. Get another legit top line winger, and a 3rd line. So 4 guys.

Spezza was pretty good this year, still has wheels and great shot.. with McD and LD on line #1, he probably would've been #2 center on this team.. that's an indication where our bottom 6 was, uncompetitive in the top half of this league.

I did think it was dumb that nobody picked him up on waivers when he threatened retirement. Make him retire, you can cost TO an asset.

I think you would lose any clout the team or GM have with players if you did that. Whether Spezza was right or wrong in his statement a lot of players would side with him and not be impressed with the Oilers.
In fact, if the Oilers did that knowing full well Spezza doesnt want to come there I wouldnt be impressed with them.

I disagree with this. The Oilers responsibility is to make their own team better, so if there's an opportunity to do so, then they should. Claiming him would give us an opportunity to convince him that there are good reasons to join the team and not retire. And if he does, well, too bad for the Leafs.

To respond to someone else, there is definitely NOT a clause allowing people to retire then immediately unretire and sign again with someone else. If there was, we'd see it happening a lot more often with old players on bad teams.

The Oilers did something like this in the Sather era. Glenn Anderson decided partway in to a season that he wanted to come back for one more year. He signed with Vancouver and wanted to play there, but they had to waive him to activate him. He had a bunch of tough words about it as he went on waivers threatening not to report if he got claimed by anyone else, but Sather claimed him anyhow. Sather then got him to show up - even though he was a little grouchy about it. He played 17 games for the Oilers, mostly playing with Weight and Ciger. Sather let him leave near the trade deadline, waiving him so that he ended up with St. Louis for their playoff run as the Oilers weren't going to make it. Anderson never got to play for the Canucks, the Oilers got a player who helped them and some veteran leadership for a couple of their young guys. They prevented a divisional rival from getting a helpful player. In the end, they got David Roberts from the Blues for making Anderson available too.

No player wants to get traded or claimed on waivers. I don't think you can worry about hurting people's feelings though with that sort of thing.

You, Mike, Crude all make valid points. Enough that I have *almost* changed my mind!

I guess for me it would end up being what the purpose was of the claim. Simply claiming a guy to screw the Leafs seems like a small advantage.
If the team believed there was a chance the player wanted to play for the Oilers AND there was any chance at all he would actually report then I would be on board with calling his bluff.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: No more Haaaaaas [message #787729 is a reply to message #787661 ]
Mon, 14 June 2021 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 14 June 2021 09:35

PlusOne wrote on Sat, 12 June 2021 20:44

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 11 June 2021 20:55

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 11 June 2021 15:52

Mike wrote on Fri, 11 June 2021 09:53

I'm so sick of bottom 6/9 guys where you really can't do much more than hope they break even. I don't want those guys anymore.

Someone mentioned Spezza and Thornton signing for close to league minimum. Ditto for Corey Perry. I know there are only a few of those every year, but people being paid millions per year to do this job should be finding these guys. They may not be world beaters, but when they are on the ice, there is at least a chance they will do better than break even.

And I don't want to let the brass off the hook, but AT LEAST get a good 3rd line (and 2nd). With 3 good lines, then you can afford a few minutes for a breather. You can't just have one line capable/likely to outscore the opposition. So they don't even need to find 7-8 guys. Get another legit top line winger, and a 3rd line. So 4 guys.

Spezza was pretty good this year, still has wheels and great shot.. with McD and LD on line #1, he probably would've been #2 center on this team.. that's an indication where our bottom 6 was, uncompetitive in the top half of this league.

I did think it was dumb that nobody picked him up on waivers when he threatened retirement. Make him retire, you can cost TO an asset.

I think you would lose any clout the team or GM have with players if you did that. Whether Spezza was right or wrong in his statement a lot of players would side with him and not be impressed with the Oilers.
In fact, if the Oilers did that knowing full well Spezza doesnt want to come there I wouldnt be impressed with them.

I disagree with this. The Oilers responsibility is to make their own team better, so if there's an opportunity to do so, then they should. Claiming him would give us an opportunity to convince him that there are good reasons to join the team and not retire. And if he does, well, too bad for the Leafs.

To respond to someone else, there is definitely NOT a clause allowing people to retire then immediately unretire and sign again with someone else. If there was, we'd see it happening a lot more often with old players on bad teams.

The Oilers did something like this in the Sather era. Glenn Anderson decided partway in to a season that he wanted to come back for one more year. He signed with Vancouver and wanted to play there, but they had to waive him to activate him. He had a bunch of tough words about it as he went on waivers threatening not to report if he got claimed by anyone else, but Sather claimed him anyhow. Sather then got him to show up - even though he was a little grouchy about it. He played 17 games for the Oilers, mostly playing with Weight and Ciger. Sather let him leave near the trade deadline, waiving him so that he ended up with St. Louis for their playoff run as the Oilers weren't going to make it. Anderson never got to play for the Canucks, the Oilers got a player who helped them and some veteran leadership for a couple of their young guys. They prevented a divisional rival from getting a helpful player. In the end, they got David Roberts from the Blues for making Anderson available too.

No player wants to get traded or claimed on waivers. I don't think you can worry about hurting people's feelings though with that sort of thing.

I will find this. It was a Friedman piece on the 35+ players. Freakin’ confident in this one.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Oilers select 4th rd (#100) - Matej Blümel
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #4)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca