This day on June 9
Acquired: Bryon Baltimore (1979) Brett Callighen (1979) Ron Carter (1979) Ron Chipperfield (1979) Peter Driscoll (1979) Dave Dryden (1979) Bill Flett (1979) Wayne Gretzky (1979) Al Hamilton (1979) Dave Hunter (1979) Blair MacDonald (1979) Eddie Mio (1979) Dean Clark (1982) Steve Graves (1982) Jim Playfair (1982) Jaroslav Pouzar (1982) Raimo Summanen (1982) Selmar Odelein (1984) Daryl Reaugh (1984)

Happy Birthday To: oilerfan2004, arnoldu, Billions_McMillions

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40)
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to nested viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828896 is a reply to message #828887 ]
Thu, 18 January 2024 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 22:41

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 17 January 2024 15:38

Name a team that is 4 or 5 deep for sure qualified NHL goalies? Most teams have 2 if they are lucky then a bunch of maybe's.

Do you really want the Oilers to be like most teams, or do you want the Oilers to be the best team?

I want the Oilers to be the best team but I live in the real world and don't base all trades on what NHL 24 sees as fair value on whatever gaming system you own. I also don't believe like some people in here do, that all NHL GM's are dumb just dying to give players away for nothing and that fans know how to operate a team better because they read the blog of some 22 yr old college student that takes a bunch of stats classes and has developed a spreadsheet.

I ask myself, WHY would a team trade away a goalie. Even if that team is in a "rebuild" they still need a goalie to play. Rebuilding teams want to develop young players and ultimately get better and win games. But you can have lots of great young forwards and dmen but if your goalie sucks, you won't win. So even bad teams still need goaltending.

People in here listed Saros. His name was even brought up as a "pipe dream". In all seriousness, why the hell would the Preds trade Saros? Look at what he's helping their retooling team do right now. Who do they have behind him? They have a hot prospect that has 3 NHL games total. So you think the Preds will dump Saros and turn the reins over to a 21 yr old goalie with 3 NHL games? Wouldn't it make more sense to keep Saros, let Askarov be the back up next season, play a bunch of games THEN if he looks like he can do it, give him the starters job?

Mrazek is having a decent year for a pretty poor Hawks team. I read they might resign him as they are doing that with some vets because they realize they need actual players to make a team around Bedard. So ask yourself, why would the Hawks want to dump their only goalie so their 18 yr old superstar can come back in a couple of weeks to a team with no goalie and get his ass kicked every night? With Mrazek, at least they are remotely competitive.

Gibson makes 6.4 mill and hasn't been good for years. No thanks, not at that number. Will the Ducks retain 50%, then get another team to retain 50% of the rest to make him cost what a back up should cost? I highly doubt it and what's the cost? Besides, we have a starter.

Mzerlikins makes 5.4 mill. The Oilers already have a starter and he said he doesn't want to go to a team to be a back up. NOPE.

Blackwood. I would like Blackwood. Price point isn't too bad. Numbers aren't horrific given how bad the team is. Again, why would they trade him? The Sharks still need a goalie too. Some games, he's the only reason they are even in the game at all. Plus he isn't old and doesn't make a lot of money. So what is the reason they would trade him other than if a team grossly overpays in assets to get him.

So I am all for getting a goalie with the idea that maybe he will be better than Pickard but who's the guy and what's the cost given the amount of teams that need a goalie, maybe worse than the Oilers because the Oilers look to at least have a decent starter in Skinner based on how he's played for most of this season and last year and the extremely limited supply there is?

Leafs need a goalie really badly.
Carolina needs a goalie really badly.
Devils need a goalie really badly.
Sabres need a goalie really badly.

These teams don't need back ups, they need starters. So what is the market going to be like for the handful of goalies that are maybe going to be available?

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828900 is a reply to message #828896 ]
Thu, 18 January 2024 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 18 January 2024 09:31

Name a team that is 4 or 5 deep for sure qualified NHL goalies? Most teams have 2 if they are lucky then a bunch of maybe's.

Do you really want the Oilers to be like most teams, or do you want the Oilers to be the best team?

I live in the real world and don't base all trades on what NHL 24 sees as fair value on whatever gaming system you own.

Why? A reckless jab at people discussing ideas how to improve the Oilers. Comments like that set the tone for conflict. You appear to want people to accept you, but in the same breath you push people away. You are a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma my friend. I cannot figure you out to save my life.

Anywho ...

As for Saros. If Nashville is falling out of the playoffs then expect a team like Carolina or Colorado who has the cap space to be very aggressive. Nashville may not have anything concrete between the pipes, but they are closing in on being stuck in the middle for years, much like the Flames. Nashville is looking for defensemen and Carolina's top 2 prospects fit the bill.

Gibson would be sought after, and his down years coincide with very poor Ducks teams. Who knows, they may even retain money.

Sabres are not making a move for a rental goalie when they are a a borderline top 5 lottery team. They may need to find Levi some help, but I think they are happy with Luukkonen as his partner.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828901 is a reply to message #828900 ]
Thu, 18 January 2024 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 18 January 2024 10:30

I live in the real world and don't base all trades on what NHL 24 sees as fair value on whatever gaming system you own.

Why? A reckless jab at people discussing ideas how to improve the Oilers. Comments like that set the tone for conflict. You appear to want people to accept you, but in the same breath you push people away. You are a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma my friend. I cannot figure you out to save my life.

Anywho ...

As for Saros. If Nashville is falling out of the playoffs then expect a team like Carolina or Colorado who has the cap space to be very aggressive. Nashville may not have anything concrete between the pipes, but they are closing in on being stuck in the middle for years, much like the Flames. Nashville is looking for defensemen and Carolina's top 2 prospects fit the bill.

Gibson would be sought after, and his down years coincide with very poor Ducks teams. Who knows, they may even retain money.

Sabres are not making a move for a rental goalie when they are a a borderline top 5 lottery team. They may need to find Levi some help, but I think they are happy with Luukkonen as his partner.

My comment isn't supposed to be a shot trying to pick a fight. But so much of the discussion in here ends up being about NHL GM's are stupid and if the Oilers weren't stupid themselves, they should take advantage. Go actually look at how many times a decent topic very quickly turns into a discussion about the supposed stupidty of NHL GM's or this GM is an ex player so he's dumb. Even this thread, Buffalo is stupid so trade with them. I actually come here to have a legit discussion but it will turn sideways virtually every time because they all within a couple of messages turn into why this GM is an idiot or the Oilers GM is an idiot because he made this trade 5 yrs ago, etc, etc. Someone like myself will try to discuss the chance of picking up player X and it will quickly turn into they can get him but they will be stupid and give up this and that because 3 yrs ago they traded this, then Campbell's contract, etc, etc. Seriously, go look.

Anyway, I don't expect things to change here so they are what they are.

For Saros, they already said he's not available. There is rumors out there they turned down I think it was 2 firsts at the draft. So even if they fall out of the playoffs near the deadline, why would they trade him? If you are like me and don't think all NHL GM's are dumb, they still need a goalie for the rest of the year and next year. Like I said, Askarov looks like a good prospect but he hasn't played. He's got 3 games in the NHL. They'd be turning the future of the Preds in goal to a 21 yr old with 3 games. I don't see that happening. That would be like the Oilers deciding Rodrigue is their starter right now. We'd all think the Oilers would be insane. The more likely move would be them trading Lankinen who's a UFA so they can give Askarov his back up spot and let him play and learn behind Saros and see if he can one day do the job. Is Lankinen of interest to you? I don't know much about him so I have no clue if he's an upgrade on what the Oilers have. He has a 3.12 and a .898 this year. Doesn't look to great to me.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #40) [message #828903 is a reply to message #828901 ]
Thu, 18 January 2024 12:41 Go to previous message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 18 January 2024 11:07

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 18 January 2024 10:30

Anywho ...

Anyway, I don't expect things to change here so they are what they are.

Maybe not an intended shot, but the impact reads otherwise. Text tone is interrupted by the reader. Many comments on here do end up dumping on management and the past twenty years of trauma the fans have endured, but if you do not like that narrative then ignore it and move away from the stuff that gets your keyboard humming.

With all that being said, I am going to take my own advice and move forward with the discussion. I think the Oilers need a veteran goalie. I think we will get one, but will be seriously underwhelmed with the return. Not due to inept management, but due to the lack of available quality tenders.

Also Nashville appears to keep their cards close to their chest. No one saw the Ekholm trade coming and I would not rule out them moving Saros if they get something that blows their doors off. They have two years to make the deal so they not in a rush, but desperate times may garner the best return. Edmonton does not have the assets or the or the cap space.

As for Askarov. He has a better pedigree and has played very well in his few NHL starts. As prospects him and Rodrigue are not comparable, even though neither are proven. If the Oilers owned both prospects, Askorov would be pushing for the NHL backup job today even though Rodrigue could be the better long-term goalie (goalies are voodoo).

Lankinen is interesting, but is he any better than Pickard?

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #41)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #39)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca