This day on May 28
Acquired: Mike Bishai (2002)

Happy Birthday To: solracer, hanna44, Qbert, Butters4Ever

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32) [message #799826 is a reply to message #799825 ]
Tue, 15 February 2022 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 15 February 2022 13:07

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 15 February 2022 12:01

Goose wrote on Tue, 15 February 2022 11:03

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 15 February 2022 08:01

You bet I am. I've been told many, many times how wrong I am about Benson, I don't know what I am talking about and how good of a player he can be. So you are damn right I am going to say something when he goes out there and does nothing game after game just like I said.

I got zero issues personally with the guy, it would be a cool story if he did well but I want my team to win and to do that, I believe every guy on this roster needs to contribute something whether you play 20 mins or 7 mins. Just skating hard isn't enough.

Nobody has ever told you you're wrong about Benson (other than you saying that he doesn't hit, when he clearly does). I doubt anybody here feels that strongly about the guy. Personally, I would like to see him play more as I think there might be something there, but I've never said that he's awesome or going to be some kind of star.

Likewise, I don't think that anyone here has ever argued against your point that everyone on the roster needs to contribute. But the reality is that the Oilers don't have a good bottom 6. If they did and they were killing it, nobody would be asking for Benson to play more, I would happily stop advocating for the guy. Speaking for myself, my point is that I would rather see a 23 year old with upside given a push over a guy like Turris or Shore, who we know aren't going to contribute anything and are more likely to give up more than they produce on any given night.

Seriously? I really don't feel like going back and searching the threads but there are many, many replies to anything I said telling me why Benson should be in over this guy or that guy. I'd pointed out how other guys, even if I am not a big fan of theirs been able to produce some offence in similar icetime but been told how Benson is better offensively than this guy or that guy but has 1 assist and barely any shots. He's apparently the 3/4 th best passer on the team yet he has 1 assist. If he's that amazing of a passer, you'd think he would be able to get the puck to a guy in such a great spot that even a plugger can slam it in once in a while to at least get more than 1 assist in 21 games. I've point out a player who I don't really like but were getting played over Benson because they have killed penalties, then corrected Benson is a better PK guy than a bunch of the guys that do it now because for 1 season he did it in the AHL.

So I disagree with you that I am repeatedly told I am wrong about Benson. If you want to make the case that playing Benson is better than Turris. No argument there. Like Benson, Turris doesn't bring anything to the line up in my opinion so if the choice is between a 23/24 yr old and a 32 yr old, I will play the 23 yr old every time but like I said many times, at some point just "trying hard" isn't enough. A player can't keep putting up zeros on every stat line game after game like Benson has. You can look up his game logs and most of the games have nothing but zeros for most of the categories except the odd game with a shot or 2, a few hits here and there but not much else happening. If he was a waiver pick up, I would bet money people would be complaining they wasted a roster spot and cap space on him vs advocating for him to play more. They should be looking for an upgrade on him and if he happens to go on waivers, I'd be surprised if someone picked him up.

I remember this starting in the expansion draft and if it would be better to protect Archibald or Benson. Whether it's better to keep a known quantity NHLer, even if he has limited upside or a guy that may have some untapped potential.

Taking the issues with covid and his vax status out of the equation for a minute. I am pretty confident in saying that if Archibald played the same amount of ice time and games played, he's have more goals and points in 21 games than Benson's 1 assist and he would have shots that the 13 in 21 and more hits than Bensons 35 in 21 games while being on their PK.

At some point Benson needs to take whatever potential he supposedly has and turn it into results.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 February 2022 13:20]

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32)
By: OilFans on Mon, 14 February 2022 23:00
Read Message Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32)
By: inverno76 on Mon, 14 February 2022 23:08
By: Adam on Tue, 15 February 2022 08:51
By: K.McC#24 on Mon, 14 February 2022 23:15
By: Skookum Jim on Tue, 15 February 2022 10:32
By: NetBOG on Tue, 15 February 2022 01:44
By: Mike on Tue, 15 February 2022 02:24
By: bigEfromGP on Tue, 15 February 2022 07:15
By: Mike on Tue, 15 February 2022 07:37
By: NZ Oiler Fan on Tue, 15 February 2022 04:01
By: Kr55 on Tue, 15 February 2022 08:14
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 15 February 2022 08:22
By: Adam on Tue, 15 February 2022 08:53
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 15 February 2022 09:01
By: Goose on Tue, 15 February 2022 11:03
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 15 February 2022 12:01
By: CrusaderPi on Tue, 15 February 2022 13:07
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 15 February 2022 13:13
By: CrusaderPi on Tue, 15 February 2022 13:19
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 15 February 2022 13:22
By: hitmen4 on Tue, 15 February 2022 13:30
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 15 February 2022 13:46
By: Kr55 on Tue, 15 February 2022 13:53
By: K.McC#24 on Tue, 15 February 2022 16:34
By: cosmicheretic on Tue, 15 February 2022 13:48

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #31)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca