This day on June 2
Acquired: Scott Ferguson (1994)

Happy Birthday To: Red Rage, stefenanthony

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799632]
Fri, 11 February 2022 21:29 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
NY Islanders to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799634 is a reply to message #799632 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Completely forgot that we were playing tonight (yeah, I'm that invested in our team right now)
Score first, end up winning. Whodathunkit? Who was in net?

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799636 is a reply to message #799634 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

More spirit tonight in one game than all season.

Woodsy 1-0 and looks like the players actually care again.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799635 is a reply to message #799632 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

6-2-1 in their last 9. On a hot streak.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799639 is a reply to message #799635 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Tyler Benson.

Averages 8:38 of ice time.

Played 7:13 with his coach on the bench. Not sure he played a shift in the 3rd period.

No points, no shots. But he was +1. He did have 3 hits so way to blow his per game average out of the water.

What a game!!!! I am seeing the light. icon_lol

In comparison.
Niemelainen, a guy drafted the same year. No points but 2 pims, 2 shots, 7 hits, 1 block, 2 giveaways, playing a tougher position. Pretty solid game for him in 11 mins. Was pretty noticeable.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 February 2022 21:47]

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799640 is a reply to message #799639 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 11 February 2022 21:43

Tyler Benson.

Played 7:13 with his coach on the bench. Not sure he played a shift in the 3rd period.

No points, no shots. But he was +1. He did have 3 hits so way to blow his per game average out of the water.

In comparison.
Niemelainen, a guy drafted the same year. No points but 2 pims, 2 shots, 7 hits, 1 block, 2 giveaways, playing a tougher position. Pretty solid game for him in 11 mins. Was pretty noticeable.

PIMs are not a positive stat

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799642 is a reply to message #799640 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 11 February 2022 21:56

Tyler Benson.

In comparison.

Wait, they’re not? I was pleased with 4 PIMs from Evander tonight, for my fantasy teams anyway 😉

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799645 is a reply to message #799640 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 11 February 2022 21:56

Tyler Benson.

In comparison.

I wanted to be fair and not just cherry pick good stats.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799643 is a reply to message #799639 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Tyler Benson.

In comparison.

Leave Benson alone!

https://cdn3.whatculture.com/images/2014/07/Tobey-Maguire-Spider-Man-Crying_edited-1-600x338.jpg

OK, for real though. Next game. Do or die time for Benson.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799644 is a reply to message #799643 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 11 February 2022 22:06

Tyler Benson.

In comparison.

Leave Benson alone!

https://cdn3.whatculture.com/images/2014/07/Tobey-Maguire-Spider-Man-Crying_edited-1-600x338.jpg

OK, for real though. Next game. Do or die time for Benson.

I thought he had a pretty solid game for a 4th liner. Noticed him win a few battles.

Definitely becoming a fan of what nemo brings but that could be because it’s something no one else in our regular d corps brings consistently

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799646 is a reply to message #799639 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Tyler Benson.

In comparison.

Not sure if comparing a 4th line fwd who wasn't going to get much ice time among 11 dressed anyway, and a D who saw lots of time in his own zone is a fair comparison. I liked MN tonight as well, but he's a large D and Benson is a LW.

As far as Benson goes, maybe you put Perlini in there but although I like his willingness to snipe, he's a soft player for a big dude. I probably don't see the point of getting on a young 4th liner at league minimum when the team doesn't have guys right now that are a lock to be above him at LW. Holloway when he arrives will move Perlini and Benson further down.

I think Benson's +1 was due to a board battle won by him that freed the puck and triggered the events that led to a GF. Pretty effective given his toi I thought. I'd love to see a couple guys in the bottom 6 who can skate and finish guys, but there aren't any. I'd probably deride the GM for that rather than Benson.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799648 is a reply to message #799646 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 11 February 2022 22:24

Tyler Benson.

In comparison.

Not sure if comparing a 4th line fwd who wasn't going to get much ice time among 11 dressed anyway, and a D who saw lots of time in his own zone is a fair comparison. I liked MN tonight as well, but he's a large D and Benson is a LW.

As far as Benson goes, maybe you put Perlini in there but although I like his willingness to snipe, he's a soft player for a big dude. I probably don't see the point of getting on a young 4th liner at league minimum when the team doesn't have guys right now that are a lock to be above him at LW. Holloway when he arrives will move Perlini and Benson further down.

I think Benson's +1 was due to a board battle won by him that freed the puck and triggered the events that led to a GF. Pretty effective given his toi I thought. I'd love to see a couple guys in the bottom 6 who can skate and finish guys, but there aren't any. I'd probably deride the GM for that rather than Benson.

The point of my post was I compared Benson to Perlini to point out that a lack of ice time is not an excuse to not produce anything on the ice. Perlini has been able to score 4 goals playing the same role with similar ice time. But someone made the comment that the reason Perlini has some level of success in limited action and Benson none, is a lack of experience for Benson. So I pointed out that Niemelainen who has even less experience than Benson was able to step in tonight, playing a much tougher position of defense vs left wing and was able to make plays that not only showed up on the stat sheet but comtributed to a win.

If you decide to dress 1 less forward, that should mean that there should be more ice time to spread around between less players yet he played 1 full min and change less than his season average and might have seen the ice 1 time for a short shift for the whole 3rd period. That's with the coach that should know him best of all considering he coached him for 4 years and helped develop him.

It's 1 game so maybe things will change. I am not sorry that Tippett is gone what so ever as changes clearly needed to happen but if he can't get regular icetime from the coach that coached him for 4 years then maybe that says something about him and it wasn't just mean old Tippett holding back a young player. Woodcroft wanted to win tonight so in a 2-1 game, Woodcroft decided his best chance to win was not having Benson come over the boards for a whole period. So that says to me, he saw something he didn't like. Just saying.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 February 2022 22:43]

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799652 is a reply to message #799639 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Tyler Benson.

In comparison.

Great takeaway. Spector, that you?

Benson looked fine. You prefer Derek Ryan’s game? Do you live to be contrary? Benson is a better option than Turris, Ryan. Why compare him to a dman we are all happy for?

Great win for Woody. Glad he’s letting the kids skate. Pretty balanced ice allotment fir the forwards. Draisaitl looked great tonight. Solid debit for the coaching staff.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799637 is a reply to message #799632 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

97, 29 & 93 all around 20 TOI.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799638 is a reply to message #799632 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Newsflash, wins are more fun than losses.

The Oilers showed some pulse tonight. More please.

Smith played very well, and the team in front of him responded but he's back to flopping and jumping at pucks again. He played with more control and balance last year. Kept em out though.

I thought the Oilers looked nervous in their zone in the 1st half of the game, but gradually cleaned that up a bit. Not a ton of experience on the back end, and there's lots of work to do there. Niemelainen....I'm going to say Marcus or MN...I'm becoming a fan. Best game I've seen from Nurse in a long time.

I like the way Woodcroft engages players on the bench. I think it encourages players to engage each other too.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799641 is a reply to message #799632 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Really would like to see the team keep playing like that. Probably gotta get 10 games into the new coach to believe it's not just the typical coach change/all players feel guilty bump.

Pulju scores. McDrai shifts are dropped and they look like their have loads of energy all night long. D survived, gave up lots of chances, but survived and were able to stop a lot of rebound chances from happening. Smith looks like he was saving his best for when Tippett was gone.

Keep it up boys!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799647 is a reply to message #799641 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I liked their energy. I hope it's not just a new coach bump. I hope they keep it up.

Smith had an excellent game. He helped get his boy Tip fired so he should have been playing guilty.

Jp needed that goal big time!!! Was a factor on the first goal as well. Nice to see, they need him to get going badly.

Hyman scored by shooting the puck from a good scoring spot instead of forcing a pass to a covered Broberg. Gee, that does work. Only been doing it since hockey was invented. Maybe the Oilers will try that more often.

I thought they looked a bit nervous in the first but Smith held them in it. Having a rookie Bouchard, rookie Broberg, rookie Niemelainen and a borderline NHLer in Laggesson I am sure played a part. I think dressing an extra dman to keep all 4 of those guys mins down was smart.

I am a big fan of Niemelainein. I am probably a Neanderthal for thinking a physical element is sorely needed on the Oilers defense but the Islanders are a physical, kind of dirty team and the hits where 29 for Isles, 28 Oilers. SO nice to see the Oilers be able to push back, I think it made a difference.

1-0 with new regime. Keep it going!

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799650 is a reply to message #799647 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 11 February 2022 22:31

I liked their energy. I hope it's not just a new coach bump. I hope they keep it up.

Smith had an excellent game. He helped get his boy Tip fired so he should have been playing guilty.

Jp needed that goal big time!!! Was a factor on the first goal as well. Nice to see, they need him to get going badly.

Hyman scored by shooting the puck from a good scoring spot instead of forcing a pass to a covered Broberg. Gee, that does work. Only been doing it since hockey was invented. Maybe the Oilers will try that more often.

I thought they looked a bit nervous in the first but Smith held them in it. Having a rookie Bouchard, rookie Broberg, rookie Niemelainen and a borderline NHLer in Laggesson I am sure played a part. I think dressing an extra dman to keep all 4 of those guys mins down was smart.

I am a big fan of Niemelainein. I am probably a Neanderthal for thinking a physical element is sorely needed on the Oilers defense but the Islanders are a physical, kind of dirty team and the hits where 29 for Isles, 28 Oilers. SO nice to see the Oilers be able to push back, I think it made a difference.

1-0 with new regime. Keep it going!

The team needs this emotion. Played for each other tonight. Saw it at the end, didn't see who got cross checked to the ice but Nuge came in to give him the business then Nurse streaks in there. LD and Kane in the scrum when Smith got contacted.

The good teams can play physical, still go to those types of players to change a game. The Oilers had one of those guys briefly with Kassian, but he's been an empty sweater for the most part since his deal.

Didnt really mind anyone tonight other than clearly Foegele is struggling to make plays. Not sure what's up there. There's a guy who I'd like to see engage more physically if he's in a funk with his puck play.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799653 is a reply to message #799632 ]
Sat, 12 February 2022 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Defence is still a tire fire, turn overs, lost battles, lost assignments, so many guys getting turnstiled.. including Nurse, guy fell down trying to execute a pivot.. leading to point blank shot on net.

One bright spot for me is Nemo, not the highest skill level, but gets the job done pretty effectively, he uses his size, and has a bit of a mean streak, usually remebers where he's supposed to be in his own end.. maybe Manson can re-boot Bouchard.

Broberg looked OK, I didn't notice him in a bad way.. if Hyman passed over to him on the 2 on 1 he had an open net.. alls well

If the NYI weren't last in NHL scoring, this likely winds up Woody's 1st loss.

I keep looking for positives from #37 but I'm starting to conclude the poor guy just has no real puck skills, for a guy that doesn't score he was responsible for way too many turn overs.. needs to tighten his game up.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799656 is a reply to message #799653 ]
Sat, 12 February 2022 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 12 February 2022 04:12

Defence is still a tire fire, turn overs, lost battles, lost assignments, so many guys getting turnstiled.. including Nurse, guy fell down trying to execute a pivot.. leading to point blank shot on net.

One bright spot for me is Nemo, not the highest skill level, but gets the job done pretty effectively, he uses his size, and has a bit of a mean streak, usually remebers where he's supposed to be in his own end.. maybe Manson can re-boot Bouchard.

Did you think Manson was going to turn this D around in one game?

Nemo adds a great element this team doesn’t have. Many teams don’t have. Teams will have to pay extra attention when he’s out there. This will throw the opponents off at times. Sadly he’s going to have to answer the bell on some of these nights. There’s going to be injuries handed out to opponents by this giant. He’s a train.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799658 is a reply to message #799656 ]
Sat, 12 February 2022 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

g2k wrote on Sat, 12 February 2022 05:37

Not a at all.. just stating that despite the win the D is still a mess. I'm actually hoping Manson will be able to reprogram some of these guys. Bouchard has tools but still can't figure out what to do in his own end, he has company on the roster for defensive ineptitude, but he's the 1st round prospect that the team needs to develop, and is a focus.

You mentioned the physical dimension Nemo's brings to his game, you can see the effect it has on the flow of the game.. its such a benefit.. I can never understand why the rest of the D don't/won't bring it when they know it wins games.. I think Nemo wasn't always like that.. I expect Manson brought out of him over the 2 years.. my hope is that he can do that to the rest of the D.

[Updated on: Sat, 12 February 2022 10:10]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799660 is a reply to message #799658 ]
Sat, 12 February 2022 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 12 February 2022 10:08

g2k wrote on Sat, 12 February 2022 05:37

Not a at all.. just stating that despite the win the D is still a mess. I'm actually hoping Manson will be able to reprogram some of these guys. Bouchard has tools but still can't figure out what to do in his own end, he has company on the roster for defensive ineptitude, but he's the 1st round prospect that the team needs to develop, and is a focus.

You mentioned the physical dimension Nemo's brings to his game, you can see the effect it has on the flow of the game.. its such a benefit.. I can never understand why the rest of the D don't/won't bring it when they know it wins games.. I think Nemo wasn't always like that.. I expect Manson brought out of him over the 2 years.. my hope is that he can do that to the rest of the D.

Let’s see what the D, and team as a whole, is like after a couple practices, game day skates and games with Woodcroft and Manson. Having Woodcroft and Manson up here (finally) makes me want this team to make playoffs and succeed even more so that we don’t see both guys be locked out of the organization after this 40ish game stretch.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799665 is a reply to message #799632 ]
Sat, 12 February 2022 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Ban the Orange Jersey's[ 10 vote(s) ]
1.Yes.. Go Navy.. at least look like you're a serious hockey team 8 / 80%
2.No, keep them.. Orange is the new Black 2 / 20%

Oh by the way.. BAN THOSE FREAKING ORANGE JERSEY's.. sick of them, do not have a winning record.. psychic drain.. time to retire them..

Dress for Success.. not like a freaking Pylon.

.. Did not mean to insult anyone that bought orange jerseys.. sorry

[Updated on: Sat, 12 February 2022 21:19]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799666 is a reply to message #799665 ]
Sat, 12 February 2022 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 12 February 2022 21:17

Oh by the way.. BAN THOSE FREAKING ORANGE JERSEY's.. sick of them, do not have a winning record.. psychic drain.. time to retire them..

I like the current away. But the orange is putrid. I know many don’t like the Midnight Navy, or whatever you wanna call it, but I actually quite like it. Though, I like the ‘retro’ the most and that reverse retro was slick, but the blue and copper would be welcomed. Or something new, something blue. Stay away from orange as the primary.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799669 is a reply to message #799666 ]
Sun, 13 February 2022 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 12 February 2022 21:26

I like the current away. But the orange is putrid. I know many don’t like the Midnight Navy, or whatever you wanna call it, but I actually quite like it. Though, I like the ‘retro’ the most and that reverse retro was slick, but the blue and copper would be welcomed. Or something new, something blue. Stay away from orange as the primary.

Love the away jersey, but hate the Spiderman PJs and am 50/50 on the orange duds. Would love to see the vintage blues with orange stripes and shoulders back.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799670 is a reply to message #799669 ]
Sun, 13 February 2022 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Sun, 13 February 2022 02:41

Love the away jersey, but hate the Spiderman PJs and am 50/50 on the orange duds. Would love to see the vintage blues with orange stripes and shoulders back.

The orange ones grew on me, but I think they are better as a 3rd jersey. I really hate these navy ones, and if they were apoted as the main home jersey then a matching away jersey would be about as bad and boring as the away jerseys from 2007-11. I wish they would just have navy blue with the orange yoke like those Condors jerseys. Those look really good.

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799671 is a reply to message #799670 ]
Sun, 13 February 2022 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Sun, 13 February 2022 07:56

stemhovlichski wrote on Sun, 13 February 2022 02:41

The orange ones grew on me, but I think they are better as a 3rd jersey. I really hate these navy ones, and if they were apoted as the main home jersey then a matching away jersey would be about as bad and boring as the away jerseys from 2007-11. I wish they would just have navy blue with the orange yoke like those Condors jerseys. Those look really good.

The current navy matches my simplicity to perfection though. A little dark (😏) but not flashy yet creates controversy.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #799676 is a reply to message #799632 ]
Sun, 13 February 2022 22:42 Go to previous message

4 Cups

I alway liked the Navy.. it just looks sharp.. icon_nod

I like the Team Canada jerseys in black as well.. it says keep you head up.

Compare to Sweden yellow.. hard to take someone wearing a yellow suit seriously.

JMHO icon_smile

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #32)
Next Topic:GDT: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca