NHL » Flames arena
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Flames arena [message #822185 is a reply to message #822184 ]
Wed, 26 April 2023 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 26 April 2023 08:59

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 April 2023 08:24

I don't agree when people say that public money shouldn't be involved with an arena. A City is only as good as it's facilities. It's a CITY FACILITY. You can't have facilities that are falling apart.

The whole "paying for billionaires and millionaires" is such a ridiculous take and to me shows a lack of intelligence by the people that say it. The NHL team is just the lead tenant but that rink will be used by all kinds of concerts that currently don't go to to Calgary. Rodeo's, curling, wrestling, UFC, trade shows, non hockey staking events, etc. All things that will use that arena. All things that bring HUGE amounts of money to the City and surrounding businesses. All things and inevitably bring tax dollars back to the City and the citizens.

So even if a person NEVER goes to a single Flames game or even an event in that new rink ever, they will get a economic benefit from that rink. Nothing is free in the world, so if the City and the citizens of Calgary are going to get an economic benefit from a new arena, which they will, they should have skin in the game.

It'll be a facility in the city, but it's not a city facility. It'll be used and managed by the Flames and the direct economic benefit will go to the Flames. I don't like the idea of public money being used to pay for capital where the return benefits a private corporation. What I don't mind is public money being used to improve public infrastructure that'll benefit not just the business, but also the people. If, for example, the city paid for the outdoor plaza I wouldn't mind. If the city did the roads, utilities, and lowered taxes for everyone I'd also be fine with it.

What always happens with any government scheme is the public benefit never equals the public investment while the private business, NGO, non-profit, or bureaucracy becomes reliant on continued public support and operationally inefficient. Taking fewer public dollars has the opposite effect.

So answer these questions. Taking the Flames out of the equation for a moment.

I looked it up. The estimated population for Calgary is 1.4 mill people. For a City of Calgary's size, do you feel they need a stadium that is NHL size (so 17-19,000) to house other non hockey related events? Like big concerts as an example.

I hate to break it to you man, but the big acts like Taylor Swift, Garth Brooks, Metallica, even Shania who's doing 2 shows in Edmonton in a couple of weeks aren't coming to your City if you have a WHL size rink like Red Deer has. I would assume the citizens of Calgary expect their City has an arena big enough to attract bands like that. So even if the Flames aren't in the picture, at some point the Dome will be completely non functional for big concerts. Big bands have already been bi-passing Calgary and doing more than 1 show in Edmonton since Rogers opened. So at some point the City will have to replace the Dome even if the Flames aren't in the picture.

So let's say the City says screw it Flames, we aren't paying for nothing, the Dome is fine, you can use it if you want too. Eventually the Flames will have to leave. That's not a threat, that's the truth. There is all kinds of talk about Houston and Utah and maybe Atlanta getting a team back. Regardless, if the Flames need to go, I have no doubt in my mind they would find a place. Would it be a better market? Hard to say but eventually that building will no longer be NHL viable. It's getting to the point now based on players comments and the fact actually pieces of it are falling down. Eventually the building will no longer be economically viable for the Flames and they will go.

So when that happens, what then for the City and an arena? Like I said above, a City the size of Calgary has to have a venue that seats 17-19,000 to attract big City events. That's a fact. So if you play hardball and don't put a penny into it and ride out the dome until it collapses, eventually you have to build another one regardless if there is an NHL team. So guess who's on the hook for the whole project? Maybe you can dumb down the arena because you aren't housing an NHL team anymore but the bulk of that costs with all the needed improvements it needs, is now ALL on the City.

[Updated on: Wed, 26 April 2023 09:33]

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Flames arena
By: Goose on Tue, 25 April 2023 16:07
Read Message Re: Flames arena
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 25 April 2023 16:10
By: Kr55 on Tue, 25 April 2023 16:12
By: NetBOG on Tue, 25 April 2023 16:16
By: CrusaderPi on Tue, 25 April 2023 16:33
By: Skookum Jim on Tue, 25 April 2023 17:05
By: RDOilerfan on Wed, 26 April 2023 08:24
By: CrusaderPi on Wed, 26 April 2023 08:59
By: RDOilerfan on Wed, 26 April 2023 09:26
By: CrusaderPi on Wed, 26 April 2023 09:48
By: RDOilerfan on Wed, 26 April 2023 10:11
By: CrusaderPi on Wed, 26 April 2023 10:27
By: RDOilerfan on Wed, 26 April 2023 10:43
By: Oscargasm on Wed, 26 April 2023 12:09
By: CrusaderPi on Wed, 26 April 2023 12:56
By: feepa on Wed, 26 April 2023 13:52
By: Kr55 on Wed, 26 April 2023 17:21
By: Oscargasm on Wed, 26 April 2023 18:18
By: Kr55 on Thu, 27 April 2023 14:15
By: Skookum Jim on Thu, 27 April 2023 14:01
By: CrusaderPi on Thu, 27 April 2023 14:11
By: K.McC#24 on Thu, 27 April 2023 17:43
By: Goose on Mon, 01 May 2023 14:02
By: Kr55 on Mon, 01 May 2023 14:30
By: kungpaobenji27 on Wed, 03 May 2023 10:51
By: Kr55 on Wed, 03 May 2023 10:53
By: CrusaderPi on Wed, 03 May 2023 13:07
By: Oscargasm on Wed, 03 May 2023 16:27

Previous Topic:2022-23 OOT Thread
Next Topic:Pens clean house
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca