This day on May 12
None

Happy Birthday To: left of center, Leopold_fan, cdnarcher, Oil_slick9416, addicted2oil

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Sign Brad Malone
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799559 is a reply to message #799547 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 18:10

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 15:06

Benson doesn't have a dimension. I have asked probably a dozen times every time I see someone go on a rant about he needs to play. What does he do other than give other players a breather. Does a player not at some point need to produce something that would show up on a score sheet? He doesn't score, rarely shoots, he's good for just over a hit a game. Awesome. So that means he's a good NHLer? Other than being from Edmonton which would make it a cool story, explain to me what he does?

Woodcroft is now the coach. He worked with Benson since he became a pro. So if there is anyone that know what he can do, it's Woodcroft. I would assume Woodcrofts goal is to be the Oilers coach after this season so I would assume he wants to win as many games as he can and will want to play the players he thinks give him the best chance to win. So I guess we will see if Woodcroft plays Benson because he thinks he's an NHLer. If he does and Benson does great, I will gladly admit I was wrong about Benson just like I did with JP.

I've said it before, he's probably the best forward passer on the team outside of McDavid/Drai/RNH. I think he's more physical than you give him credit for. You can keep saying that he's just over a hit a game and ignore the context that he only plays 8 min a night. He has the 3rd most hits/60 of anyone on the team.

And yes, of course you would like to see him produce more. But he's 23 and just getting started in the NHL. We know what the ceiling is for Turris/Shore/etc. Benson has done everything you could ask of a guy at the AHL. If the Oilers were a Cup contending team with a bottom 6 that wasn't bleeding goals on a nightly basis, then I could see an argument for not playing him if he's not producing. But honestly, how much worse do you think the Oilers are with Benson in the lineup over Turris. Don't you think it would make sense to give the guy a run of games to see what he can do and let him play 10-12min a night? He's averaging 3-4 shifts per period. You can't honestly think that playing for :45 and then sitting for 6min is an ideal situation.

The issue that I have with not playing Benson isn't that I think he's a superstar in the making. It's that I think that there's a very real possibility that he could be a legit NHL forward and has upside, and the Oilers are never going to find out if that's true or not based on his deployment and who they're playing in front of him.

We clearly feel differently about this team.

I want the Oilers to win, period. The time for try outs was preseason and early in the year, not with 38 games left. The time for players to establish what they bring to the team was preseason and early in the year, not with 38 games left. I expected the Oilers to be in top 3 easy regardless of the roster flaws. I look at the roster today and even with the flaws, they should be in the top 3 right now in my opinion. They have a ton of key guys flat out not playing well, that's how I feel.

With Benson. Yes I understand its hard to make an impact when you don't get a lot of playing time. I get it. But that isn't an excuse. He's got a guy on his team in Perlini who plays with the same players, gets the same ice time, gets the same lack of time on special teams, even has almost play in the same amount of games. He has 4 goals, 5 pts getting next to no time, Benson has 1 freaking assist. So telling me that it's all because of a lack of opportunity or ice time is BS to me because there is a guy right on his team that Benson probably skates with daily doing it. So it can be done. Benson has not seized the opportunity.

I also so not buy that Tippett is his mean, completely stupid guy holding Benson back. Did Tippett have his flaws, hell yes he did. If he didn't, he'd still have a job today. But if Benson could fill a roll on the team, he'd be playing. If you look at the Oilers stat sheet, there are a whole bunch of pretty mediocre at best players who have all played similar amount of games which tells me that Tippett, flaws and all was looking for some guys to step up and do a job. I will try this buy, nope, try him, nope, try him, nope, back to this guy, repeat.

So as a fed up Oilers fan, I am not looking for more try outs. Try outs at this point in the season are what losing teams do for next year. I am looking for solutions. So decide on what you want/need for the bottom, then either look on your team and use that or go get it. I do not think trying guys out and hoping they fit is the answer. It's can they do it or not for me. I'm not in the mood to trying to create positions for a player who don't have the natural skill set to fill the roles they lack. Now Woodcroft should know Benson the best. He was his head coach his entire time in Bakersfield. He developed Benson. So if Woodcroft doesn't play him, then I think we have the answer and everyone should let it go.

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Oilers Sign Brad Malone
By: smyth260 on Thu, 10 February 2022 12:29
Read Message Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone
By: Adam on Thu, 10 February 2022 12:47
By: Oscargasm on Thu, 10 February 2022 12:49
By: Adam on Thu, 10 February 2022 13:08
By: Oscargasm on Thu, 10 February 2022 13:10
By: Adam on Thu, 10 February 2022 13:24
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 10 February 2022 13:35
By: Adam on Thu, 10 February 2022 13:37
By: inverno76 on Thu, 10 February 2022 14:00
By: Kr55 on Thu, 10 February 2022 14:03
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 10 February 2022 14:38
By: mightyreasoner on Thu, 10 February 2022 14:51
By: Adam on Thu, 10 February 2022 14:52
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 10 February 2022 15:51
By: CrudeRemarks on Thu, 10 February 2022 15:59
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 10 February 2022 16:11
By: Adam on Thu, 10 February 2022 16:15
By: Iamheretoday on Thu, 10 February 2022 17:18
By: Goose on Thu, 10 February 2022 15:05
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 10 February 2022 16:06
By: welcometotheOC on Thu, 10 February 2022 16:13
By: Goose on Thu, 10 February 2022 18:10
By: Kr55 on Thu, 10 February 2022 18:29
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 11 February 2022 08:55
By: welcometotheOC on Fri, 11 February 2022 09:38
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 11 February 2022 10:03
By: welcometotheOC on Fri, 11 February 2022 10:32
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 11 February 2022 10:41
By: inverno76 on Fri, 11 February 2022 10:05
By: K.McC#24 on Thu, 10 February 2022 23:26
By: Oscargasm on Thu, 10 February 2022 13:46
By: Adam on Thu, 10 February 2022 14:25
By: Oscargasm on Fri, 11 February 2022 12:05

Previous Topic:Tippett fired
Next Topic:Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #44)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca