This day on May 15
None

Happy Birthday To: Jordan Eberle, Snakeeye, dbkohut, oilloyal

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Pregame: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24) [message #795583 is a reply to message #795579 ]
Tue, 07 December 2021 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 December 2021 12:46

benv wrote on Tue, 07 December 2021 12:20

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 December 2021 12:10

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 07 December 2021 10:34

Lagesson already had to pass through waivers out of camp. So any team could have him for free. I don't think Lagesson has any value.

I think we're going to see a fair amount of comments like this on Lagesson given that his agent complained, and Oilers fans generally circle the wagons. No one criticizes our coaches or management but us! Worth noting, the underlying numbers for Lagesson were quite good in his couple appearances this year. Small sample size, but even so, he outperformed his other call-ups on those bases.

Walsh isn't subtle and rubs some people the wrong way, but he definitely goes to bat for his clients. I think some of what he says has some merit. I don't think that's how I would approach this particular situation, but I understand the strategy. They are fearing that he's buried in the depth chart now, and that actual play isn't likely to change that. He hasn't been on the roster for 30 days, so the Oilers could demote him without facing waivers again.

Walsh has flagged that his client had strong numbers and is open to moving on. He's also slapped a team that's notoriously thin-skinned, which could result in them making a quick trade for virtually nothing, or even putting him through waivers again where he may or may not get claimed even though they don't have to. Lagesson was in Edmonton all year last year, despite being played sparingly, so he may feel that the team is mismanaging the young player - we all know that the Oilers would never do such a thing, right? Walsh doesn't care about fan approval - he just tries to advance the interests of his client (which really is his only job). We will see if his gambit works this time.

With regards to what the Oilers SHOULD do? I would not waive him if I don't have to, and I wouldn't trade him for nothing either. Our left side is full of old, crappy, injury prone and/or inexperienced defencemen, and so I would not erode the depth without a good reason to do so. I don't like the chances of Lagesson being an Oiler past this year, but I don't flush him just because he's angry.

I do think they should look at whether the communication from coach to players is good though. If there is a real disconnect there, then it probably should be addressed.

I listened to the Oilers' post game driving home from the game on Sunday, and Rob Brown pointed out that there was nothing unusual about what happened with Lagesson (as a former player it happened to him many times). If a player (in this case Nurse) is potentially on the bubble to start and they want to see how he feels after warm-up, you never inform the player (in this case Lagesson) apriori that he will be the scratch if Nurse can go since it will affect how he prepares for the game. So once it was determined that Nurse was good to go, the trainers informed Lagesson that he was the odd man out. This is standard procedure as the coach has better things to do at this point as he's preparing for the game.

So whatever Tippet's communication relationships with his players are, there doesn't seem to be anything unusual that happened on Sunday, despite what Walsh said in his tweet.

That would lead you to think there is more to the story, no?

This isn't coming out of no where, and the player has to know if his agent is going to do something that in most towns would create a firestorm (only hasn't here because the media guys are all good soldiers who don't run with stories the Oilers don't want covered).

Walsh is known to mouth off. This screams to me a player who doesn't want to admit he's been passed on the depth chart. He's 25, going to be 26 in February and hasn't been able to establish himself in the NHL so he is grasping at straws and has an agent who likes to mouth off and play the victim card for his clients.

Here's the truth. He's at best a #7 dman and realistically probably an 8 or 9 on most teams. When fully heathy, there is no place for him on the roster what so ever and I do not think there is a single NHL GM who would disagree with me. Based on all of the scouting reports from this season, he hasn't even been the best dman in the AHL team like a guy who's if he was truly a legit NHL guy, he should be. He got called up based on the benefit of the doubt and experience. I personally have seen enough to know what he's about and I would not want him standing in front of Broberg or Niemelainen or Samorukov. So if he wants to go down to Bakersfield and play there, great. If not, bye bye. I could be wrong about the guy and if I am then surely some GM will gladly offer whatever pick to get him.

Here is a question and I am sure you won't answer it. You are the GM of whatever team you like in the NHL, what would you give up in trade to get Lagesson on your team because I bet the cost is very little.

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Pregame: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24)
By: OilFans on Tue, 07 December 2021 02:00
Read Message Re: Pregame: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24)
By: clutchlikeeberle on Tue, 07 December 2021 04:04
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 07 December 2021 09:12
By: Adam on Tue, 07 December 2021 11:25
By: NCREDiBLE on Tue, 07 December 2021 09:13
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 07 December 2021 09:30
By: NCREDiBLE on Tue, 07 December 2021 09:45
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 07 December 2021 10:34
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 07 December 2021 10:40
By: benv on Tue, 07 December 2021 10:57
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 07 December 2021 11:17
By: Oilertime on Tue, 07 December 2021 12:05
By: Adam on Tue, 07 December 2021 12:16
By: Adam on Tue, 07 December 2021 12:10
By: benv on Tue, 07 December 2021 12:20
By: Adam on Tue, 07 December 2021 12:46
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 07 December 2021 14:36
By: Adam on Tue, 07 December 2021 15:34
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 07 December 2021 15:47
By: Adam on Tue, 07 December 2021 16:05
By: Skookum Jim on Tue, 07 December 2021 16:13
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 07 December 2021 16:35
By: Adam on Tue, 07 December 2021 17:09
By: Oscargasm on Tue, 07 December 2021 18:47
By: Skookum Jim on Tue, 07 December 2021 15:17
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 07 December 2021 15:26
By: Skookum Jim on Tue, 07 December 2021 15:52
By: Adam on Tue, 07 December 2021 15:36
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 07 December 2021 12:51
By: Skoobz on Tue, 07 December 2021 13:39
By: Skookum Jim on Tue, 07 December 2021 15:05
By: Oscargasm on Tue, 07 December 2021 16:40
By: NetBOG on Tue, 07 December 2021 17:58

Previous Topic:Review: Minnesota @ Edmonton (Game #24)
Next Topic:Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #23)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca