This day on May 14
None

Happy Birthday To: feepa, g2k, Oilfan In UK, Dan86, swany, Oilers000, canoilers, lmaonade, ont_oil_fan81, I'm_Topher, cliffordbaker, headpins

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #19)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #19) [message #795084 is a reply to message #795082 ]
Fri, 26 November 2021 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 26 November 2021 11:52

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 26 November 2021 11:46

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 26 November 2021 10:55

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 25 November 2021 16:06

Leon might win the scoring title for the second time this season.
Leon might win the MVP and Lindsay for the second time this season.
Leon will probably score at least 50 goals this season for the second time.
Leon might win the Rocket Richard trophy for the first time this year.
Leon was on pace for 123 pts last year in 82. He's technically on pace for 173 pts this year. I don't think he will get 173 pts but could he "slow down" and score 130, maybe 140? Probably

This from a guy who apparently was overpaid and a player who the Oilers shouldn't have drafted in the first place in eyes of some people. I always laugh when I think about the arguments I got into with some people back then about those very things. Thank god the Oilers drafted him and they signed him long term to probably the best contract in the NHL.

The Oilers didn't get a lot right back then but they sure got Leon right.

Imagine if he was signed for Mackinnon money though. That was a great comparable back then. People can argue about buying the UFA years and say that he played his way into making the deal a value, but it was the absolute top of the market the day it was signed, arguably even above that.

Nurse signed a $9 million deal and hasn't earned the money so far this year. If in 3 years time he's getting Norris votes regularly and putting up consistent points, then it isn't so egregious, right now he's overpaid, just like Leon was.

All that said, I wouldn't trade leon for anybody in the league at this point.

The production MacKinnon had before he signed that contract vs the production Leon had both in season and playoffs that year were quite different. Leon had a much better year before the contract and was on an upward projection vs MacKinnon had 3 years in a row of low 20's in goals, 50-60 ish pts with his rookie season as his career high. Leon just came off a great playoff where he has 16 ps in 13 games centering his own line. Rightly or wrongly, all teams place a premium on playoff performances. The Oilers also bought another year of free agency signing him to 8 yrs vs 7 for Mackinnon. That also plays into a higher cap hit.

Not sure why you’d argue that literally resetting the market was any kind of shrewd negotiating, especially when it was the same GM who did the Koskinen deal, but go on then.

I'm not arguing that Chia was an idiot but in the case of McD and Leon, I think he did an OK job with those 2 contracts.

I am a person who tries to look at things realistically vs hopes and maybes.

- MacKinnon was signed in 16, Leon 17. Normally from year to year as the cap goes up which was the case back then, we see contracts from year to year go up slightly. So there would be a slight increase because of that.
- Come out of their ELC, Leon had 2 better statistical seasons in a row than MacKinnon. So there would be a slight increase based on that.
- Leon also came out of an extremely good playoff. Mackinnon's team was bad. So there would be an increase based on that.
- Leon looked to be on the rise with better seasons to continue to come. MacKinnon like I said had 3 years in a row with almost the same goals and points. He then followed it up the year he signed that contract with another of the sameish totals. So there would be an increase because of that.
- The Oilers bought an extra year of free agency. As soon as you do that, the price goes up.
- McD signed his contract a month earlier for 12.5 mill which everyone including people in here said was probably a bargain. How possibly can you or anyone else say unless you are not being truthful, that when McD got 12.5, Leon was supposed to basically take half? Like come on man! Saying Leon's contract set the market is false, McD set the market. Leon was not half the player McD was so expecting him to be cool with taking half is ludicrous.
- When Leon signed his deal, he was a better player than MacKinnon so there was an increase because of that AND he's proven to be a superior player than MacKinnon.

So thinking that Leon was supposed to get MacKinnon money when he had better seasons and a great playoff, he signed for longer, the cap went up so salaries typically always go up, he was a better player at the time and proven to be a better player now as well as his teammate McD resetting the market is flat out just so unrealistic in my books. I wouldn't have traded Leon for MacKinnon straight up back then and I sure as hell wouldn't do it now so I don't see how they should be paid the same when there is a difference in the 2 players.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 November 2021 13:25]

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #19)
By: OilFans on Wed, 24 November 2021 22:30
Read Message Re: Review: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #19)
By: Kr55 on Wed, 24 November 2021 22:42
By: inverno76 on Thu, 25 November 2021 07:13
By: K.McC#24 on Wed, 24 November 2021 22:53
By: Skookum Jim on Thu, 25 November 2021 00:52
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 25 November 2021 08:46
By: GabbyDugan on Thu, 25 November 2021 10:42
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 25 November 2021 10:46
By: Goose on Thu, 25 November 2021 13:35
By: CrudeRemarks on Thu, 25 November 2021 13:47
By: Adam on Thu, 25 November 2021 15:00
By: Goose on Thu, 25 November 2021 23:09
By: Kr55 on Thu, 25 November 2021 12:05
By: Dragon_Matt on Thu, 25 November 2021 14:38
By: Kr55 on Thu, 25 November 2021 15:47
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 25 November 2021 16:06
By: CrudeRemarks on Fri, 26 November 2021 10:55
By: smyth260 on Fri, 26 November 2021 11:00
By: Kr55 on Fri, 26 November 2021 11:24
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 26 November 2021 11:46
By: CrudeRemarks on Fri, 26 November 2021 11:52
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 26 November 2021 13:21
By: Kr55 on Fri, 26 November 2021 11:56
By: Adam on Fri, 26 November 2021 16:41
By: Kr55 on Fri, 26 November 2021 16:44
By: NetBOG on Thu, 25 November 2021 16:34
By: Oscargasm on Thu, 25 November 2021 18:45

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #19)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca