This day on May 10
None

Happy Birthday To: apophis, Oiler_Kiwi, Oiler_Kiwi_2003, tat88, rnrh, JeffersonM43, joeclark

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #772821 is a reply to message #772815 ]
Tue, 19 January 2021 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 19 January 2021 13:35

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 19 January 2021 12:40

Adam wrote on Tue, 19 January 2021 11:45

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 19 January 2021 11:21

I am really disappointed with the effort of the star players in that game and the effort of the star players for 3 out of 4 of the games. People can talk until their blue in the face of the importance of depth. Yes depth is important. Yes you need decent players on your 3rd and 4th lines. Yes you need decent players in your 3rd pairing defense but at the end of the day, if your star players, the guys who make all the money and get all the ice time play like crap, you won't win very often. For 3 out of the first 4 games, most of the Oilers stars have been mostly lousy.

Leon: Game 1, I thought he was really good and unlucky not to score more. Game 2, he was excellent. Games 3 and 4, he's been lousy. The difference between how good he was game 1 and 2 vs 3 and 4 is night and day.

McD: Game 1, I thought he was just OK at times but I expected him to be better and look like he was in game 2. Game 2, he was out of this world. Game 3 and 4 he sucked. No sugar coating he, McD sucked in those 2 games. According to some of the stats guys, last night he wasn't in on a single scoring chance, not 1. How a guy that fast and that skilled can't generate a single scoring chance baffles me. I don't expect McD to look like how he looked game 2, there is the other team trying to stop him BUT the difference between game 2 vs 3 and 4 is shocking to me and it wasn't all because the Habs are gods gift to defensive hockey.

Nuge: He was lousy game 1, looked good game 2 and sucked game 3 and 4. The question I have for him is did Nuge actually look good game 2 or was it because McD was so freaking good game 2, that it made Nuge look good. I am a Nuge fan, I want him to stay to end his career but if Nuge thinks he's a 7+ mill player, it's laughable because what these games have shown to me is just how complimentary he truly is. He's still a really good player but he is not a guy who can elevate a line so he shouldn't be paid like that. He NEEDS others to be good so they can drag him along so he can be good. If that wasn't the case, he'd be able to make some kind of plays even if McD isn't going guns a blazing which he hasn't. He's done nothing just like McD.

Those 3 combined make 27 mill which accounts for 33% of the total cap. If those 3 aren't playing at least decent every night, you won't win. Their PP has sucked because those 3 have sucked. That isn't an Oilers thing, that is a every team thing. Guess what, if Matthews, Tavares and Marner all played as bad as those 3 have the last 2 games at least, the Leafs with all their "depth" wouldn't win.

I can't get furious at the three guys who've carried tihs team on their back consistently over the last couple years. They're going to have the occasional off-game, and teams are going to focus entirely on them.

Sometimes your depth has to help out, and it's not doing that so far. Defence has been shaky, goaltending has been shaky.

I'm not blaming the stars for this. Could they be better? Yes, but they will be. Everything else is an actual question mark.

Do I think the whole teams needs to be better? Of course I do. BUT what's realistic for a 3rd line on any team to chip in a goal? A goal every 3-4 games? I don't have that number, maybe someone does but I think that sounds about right. For a 4th line a goal ever 5-6 games?

I look at how the Oilers deploy their lines and I assume most teams are similar. McD's and Leon's line get all the premium offensive minutes and offensive zone starts. If the other team ices the puck, even if the 3rd line was barely on the ice. It's pretty rare you see the 3rd line taking that offensive draw. It's McD or Leon's line that jumps over the boards. The Oilers PP is McD, Leon, Nuge, then 2 others and the other 2 can change but those 3 don't. Those 3 are typically on the ice on the PP for 3/4 of the PP, sometimes the whole thing. The second unit MIGHT and that's a big if, they might get 30 seconds and that's after the ice has been shot down the ice. So that second unit might get 25 seconds on the PP in the offensive zone if they are lucky.

Every one of those 3 typically plays 20+ mins a night along with the majority of the PP time while not playing a lot of defensive time. So while depth is important, those 3 need to be at least decent every single game because they are deployed that way.

I think that's what we've seen here the last few years, but that's miserable 3rd and 4th line production. That would be 20-27 goals a year from your third line and 13-16 goals from your fourth line. Call me crazy, but if my fourth liners are chipping in 5 goals each for an entire season, I think that's terrible production. Some of the depth players on Tampa had almost that in the playoffs last year.

Your third line should be good for 40-45 goals Your fourth line should at least be close to 30. If your team scores 250 goals in a season, that's still only 30% of the offence from those two lines.

Our third and fourth lines have not only not scored, they've been caved in offensively too. Chiasson is -5, Turris is -4, Puljujarvi is -4, Ennis is -3, Archibald is -3, Khaira is -2. Those are the 6 worst numbers on the team.

Corsi tells a similar number. Saw a stat on Puljujarvi's numbers with the various centers he's played time with this year, and he's been very positive in the small time on ice with 97 and 29, but with Turris, they're getting crushed.

At bare minimum, if the bottom six aren't going to produce ANYTHING, then they can't be giving tons up. Right now they're doing both of those things, which puts a greater stress on the top players to outperform.

I agree, your bottom 6 needs to chip in from time to time. By your requirement, your 3rd liners should be chipping in 40-45 goals a year, that's 15 goals a piece. I think that's a pretty elite 3rd line getting 15 a piece but OK. So for each of them that's a goal every just over 5 games. So they need to score real quick to meet your requirements.

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4)
By: OilFans on Mon, 18 January 2021 21:30
Read Message Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4)
By: Kr55 on Mon, 18 January 2021 21:36
By: K.McC#24 on Mon, 18 January 2021 21:36
By: inverno76 on Mon, 18 January 2021 21:38
By: K.McC#24 on Mon, 18 January 2021 21:58
By: WhoreableGuy on Mon, 18 January 2021 23:40
By: PlusOne on Mon, 18 January 2021 21:36
By: Kr55 on Mon, 18 January 2021 21:41
By: Adam on Mon, 18 January 2021 21:42
By: Leia on Mon, 18 January 2021 21:50
By: HamBlaster on Mon, 18 January 2021 23:16
By: g2k on Mon, 18 January 2021 21:48
By: Ragnarok73 on Mon, 18 January 2021 21:53
By: g2k on Mon, 18 January 2021 22:07
By: HamBlaster on Mon, 18 January 2021 23:19
By: Oscargasm on Mon, 18 January 2021 21:53
By: nullterm on Mon, 18 January 2021 22:01
By: K.McC#24 on Mon, 18 January 2021 22:09
By: Oscargasm on Mon, 18 January 2021 22:10
By: HamBlaster on Mon, 18 January 2021 23:21
By: g2k on Mon, 18 January 2021 22:12
By: Kr55 on Mon, 18 January 2021 22:24
By: HamBlaster on Mon, 18 January 2021 23:22
By: WhoreableGuy on Tue, 19 January 2021 07:20
By: Oscargasm on Tue, 19 January 2021 07:24
By: Kr55 on Tue, 19 January 2021 08:34
By: Adam on Tue, 19 January 2021 08:57
By: Kr55 on Tue, 19 January 2021 09:01
By: CrudeRemarks on Tue, 19 January 2021 09:13
By: Ragnarok73 on Tue, 19 January 2021 09:46
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 19 January 2021 11:21
By: Adam on Tue, 19 January 2021 11:45
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 19 January 2021 12:40
By: Adam on Tue, 19 January 2021 13:35
By: RDOilerfan on Tue, 19 January 2021 13:47
By: Goose on Tue, 19 January 2021 14:02
By: Skookum Jim on Tue, 19 January 2021 14:10
By: CrusaderPi on Tue, 19 January 2021 13:31

Previous Topic:Oilers select 2nd rd (#40) - Ryan McLeod
Next Topic:GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca