This day on May 3
None

Happy Birthday To: Teemu Hartikainen, Aspin, erixon, thamilton986

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #48)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #48) [message #751792 is a reply to message #751781 ]
Thu, 16 January 2020 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 16 January 2020 17:03

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 16 January 2020 13:32

Regarding contracts, I don't really place any blame on anyone.

I think it's important to get paid what you are worth. In those years, Edmonton was in a scenario where:

1) Smyth wanted to play in Edmonton AND have some financial security
2) Edmonton was not in any position to hand out dollars

Under those conditions, it makes sense that the contracts took a long time to hash out. They got done. That is all that matters to me. Except for one time.

Smyth wanted 5.5M a year, Oilers would only go to 5.4M and thus he would move on to Colorado for 6.25M AAV in the summer. I'd venture to say that he was willing to give a discount from market value (he left 3.75M on the table the Oilers signed his ask of 5.5Mx5). It just wasn't enough for Kevin Lowe. And that's fine. It was a terrible terrible day for me as a kid, but sometimes two sides just can't come together at a moment in time.

I tend not to think less of any player for trying to get the most they can. I don't think less of Drew Doughty for negotiating without an agent. I don't think less of Mitch Marner for squeezing every dollar he could out of Toronto, or Nylander for holding out during the season. Your hockey career has a shelf life. One that could be ended at any time by a major injury or whatever. Get what you can while you can. It's up to the team to convince you otherwise.

Regarding his roles and attitudes. I don't know what to say really. We are human beings. We react with emotions often. He cried at the airport more than any athlete I have ever seen...he is clearly a pretty sensitive guy. I'm not going to let a few quotes about being scratched get in the way of what I witnessed on the ice. Worth noting that Ryan Whitney also complained about Ralph Krueger basically telling him that he wasn't going to move up the lineup no matter what. Maybe Smyth had similar feelings but less articulate? I don't know, I don't want to go too deep into that.

#RETIRE94

I tend to agree that it's the player's prerogative if they're going to try to get every dollar they can out of their career. I just don't really love it when they're arguing to the press that they've taken big discounts their whole career when there isn't a lot of evidence that was the case.

Yes, I guess he did get an extra $$750K per year by going all the way to UFA...so fair enough - they were asking for a 15% discount off full UFA price. A) That's probably a standard discount, not an Edmonton-related one and B) it's hard to suggest #94 was full value for the money for his deal - in hindsight, that looks like a serious overpay, especially in the last couple years (the last of which Edmonton ended up paying for anyhow).

Whitney did complain about Krueger, but not during that season. It was later, after he had left that he fired off about that. Smyth made a whole production of it when he was sat the first time.

But I think we're mostly on the same page - he was good, but not a star, and rarely if ever the best player on the Oilers. Apparently we're only in disagreement about whether you should put lunch bucket guys up alongside Hall of Famers in the number retirement racket. I think that's for franchises without any real history to do. The Oilers did it once, putting Hamilton to the rafters...that's probably enough for the non-stars. We don't need a Trevor Linden-type retirement. If we start doing that, it's only a matter of time until we retire #7 (again) for the fans.

On a related note, that "best team ever" banner is horrible. I hate that a fan ballot led to us raising something to the roof. The proof of their status as a great team is in all the other banners they contributed to the building. It cheapens those to put something that inane up.

Maybe we need to mix it up a bit to be able to honour some of our greats that can't live up to the impossible standards of the glory days. A board with individual awards.

Hardest Tryer: Ryan Smyth
Best at Winning: Kevin Lowe
Boldest: Craig MacTavish

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #48)
By: OilFans on Tue, 14 January 2020 21:30
Read Message Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #48)
By: Ragnarok73 on Tue, 14 January 2020 21:37
By: Oscargasm on Tue, 14 January 2020 21:41
By: Oscargasm on Tue, 14 January 2020 21:51
By: Kr55 on Tue, 14 January 2020 22:23
By: Adam on Wed, 15 January 2020 11:21
By: CrudeRemarks on Wed, 15 January 2020 11:35
By: Oscargasm on Wed, 15 January 2020 13:22
By: Gator21 on Wed, 15 January 2020 20:46
By: Oscargasm on Wed, 15 January 2020 21:11
By: CrudeRemarks on Thu, 16 January 2020 06:39
By: Adam on Thu, 16 January 2020 11:51
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 16 January 2020 12:39
By: smyth260 on Thu, 16 January 2020 12:47
By: Adam on Thu, 16 January 2020 13:07
By: smyth260 on Thu, 16 January 2020 13:32
By: CrudeRemarks on Thu, 16 January 2020 15:26
By: Kr55 on Thu, 16 January 2020 16:41
By: smyth260 on Thu, 16 January 2020 16:55
By: Adam on Thu, 16 January 2020 17:03
By: CrusaderPi on Thu, 16 January 2020 19:44
By: Kr55 on Thu, 16 January 2020 20:32
By: Adam on Fri, 17 January 2020 09:29
By: Kr55 on Fri, 17 January 2020 09:58
By: Kr55 on Thu, 16 January 2020 16:57

Previous Topic:GDT: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #49)
Next Topic:Caleb Jones extended 2 years
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca