This day on May 10
None

Happy Birthday To: apophis, Oiler_Kiwi, Oiler_Kiwi_2003, tat88, rnrh, JeffersonM43, joeclark

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Puljujarvi wants out.
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Puljujarvi wants out. [message #739086 is a reply to message #739078 ]
Thu, 20 June 2019 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 20 June 2019 07:35

I find how JP and is agent are handling this pretty troubling and in my opinion an indication of some issues that the Oilers have had with the player. I don't think for a second that the Oilers handled him properly. I have said that dozens of times. Even though the norm for most top 5 picks is they don't need a ton of development time before they become an NHLer, he did. He needed a lot of AHL time, maybe even 3 years wroth just to be able to maybe be a full time NHLer. So they screwed up there. But you keep hearing talk about how JP and his agent were against the AHL. I don't know if that is true but it keeps coming up by multiple people, some of which aren't even from Edmonton or affiliated with the Oilers. Then you saw how when JP was drowning in the NHL and so clearly not ready, he would get sent down to the minors and if he has ANY success, he was back up immediately. They did it this year where he was so clearly over his head in the NHL, they send him down, he plays 4 games, looks decent in the AHL and he's back up. That just screams a player and agent going "See, see, I told you we are too good for the AHL, get us back up." When a player is so over his head in the NHL, sending him to the AHL for a week and a half isn't going to suddenly fix that. The Oilers were not good in his handling but I have a hard time believing even they being as dumb as they were would think a week in the AHL fixes all, especially after it was year 3 of him being lousy in the NHL.

So he's frustrated and wants out. I get that. If I was him and the same guys were in place, I would feel the same. Then the GM is fired, a bunch of the hockey ops staff is fired, pretty much the entire coaching staff is fired. A new GM who has a multiple decades long philosophy of building around and developing young players and who is a big fan of European players comes in. That should be music to JP's ears, he talks to him, I am sure said I want to keep you but you have to work your way up. JP wants a fresh start. Other than wearing the same logo, it will be a fresh start but he still wants to go. He makes it worse by saying, he won't play for the Oilers, so either trade him or he will take his ball and go to Europe.

So in my opinion, if this is the advice he is getting from his agent, the advice of quitting if you don't get what you want, I would fire my agent yesterday. If this is the decision of a what looks to be extremely immature player in JP, the agent needs to shake some sense into his client. What should happen if JP is committed is you say I want a trade so please do your best to do that but to help, I will sign a 1 yr deal, have it LOADED with incentives, work your ass off and PLAY. He needs to get out of his fantasy world and while the Oilers made mistakes, so did he. He's not a top 6 player yet, he's not even a full time NHLer year. So trading him is going to be difficult if the Oilers want ANY kind of value at all. So the best thing for him to do is shut up, train and play and establish yourself as an NHLer. If he does that and proves he's an NHLer, a trade will happen.

When you look at wanting a fresh start and wanting opportunity, what better place is there in the NHL than the Oilers who have a new management team, an entirely new coaching staff plus a team who are DESPERATE for wingers with any kind of skill. All he has to do is work hard, play somewhat consistently and you have an automatic roster spot. So what this tells me is I think the team is as in the players are tired of his act and he's not welcome. Nobody wants to play with him. Otherwise, if the NHL is your goal, why the hell would you pull a gun out, point it to the Oilers head and say trade me or I am going to Europe. Sign a 1 yr, incentive laden deal while keeping your trade request in.

If I am the Oilers, I try to trade him but if you don't get decent return, call his bluff and let him go to Europe.

It's not just the GM and coach that matter though. Even more so it's your teammates. How many times did McDavid or Drai refuse to pass to the kid? Even when he was wide open? I saw it more than a few times. With his English issues, I wouldn't be surprised if he was an outcast in the room. It's not like the Oilers have a strong Finnish contingent on the team.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Puljujarvi wants out.
By: g2k on Wed, 19 June 2019 11:51
Read Message Re: Puljujarvi wants out.
By: Kr55 on Wed, 19 June 2019 11:55
By: clutchlikeeberle on Wed, 19 June 2019 12:00
By: mightyreasoner on Wed, 19 June 2019 12:06
By: RDOilerfan on Wed, 19 June 2019 12:15
By: mazankowski on Wed, 19 June 2019 12:31
By: K.McC#24 on Wed, 19 June 2019 13:16
By: Adam on Wed, 19 June 2019 16:21
By: CrudeRemarks on Wed, 19 June 2019 12:42
By: Kr55 on Wed, 19 June 2019 12:55
By: Adam on Wed, 19 June 2019 16:32
By: Kr55 on Wed, 19 June 2019 16:36
By: Adam on Wed, 19 June 2019 16:43
By: Skookum Jim on Wed, 19 June 2019 12:43
By: bigred75 on Wed, 19 June 2019 15:48
By: Kr55 on Wed, 19 June 2019 16:59
By: Adam on Wed, 19 June 2019 17:01
By: Kr55 on Wed, 19 June 2019 17:03
By: philly boy on Wed, 19 June 2019 17:24
By: Mike on Wed, 19 June 2019 17:52
By: Lew19 on Wed, 19 June 2019 18:42
By: Xombie on Wed, 19 June 2019 18:58
By: overdue on Wed, 19 June 2019 20:15
By: Jakey on Wed, 19 June 2019 20:33
By: clutchlikeeberle on Wed, 19 June 2019 23:26
Read Message Re: wants out.
By: Skookum Jim on Thu, 20 June 2019 00:00
By: mightyreasoner on Thu, 20 June 2019 00:15
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 20 June 2019 08:35
By: Steve on Thu, 20 June 2019 10:33
By: Rocksteady on Thu, 20 June 2019 09:51
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 20 June 2019 10:06
By: mightyreasoner on Thu, 20 June 2019 10:38
By: RDOilerfan on Thu, 20 June 2019 12:34
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 21 June 2019 08:52
By: CrudeRemarks on Fri, 21 June 2019 09:15
By: Jay on Fri, 21 June 2019 09:20
By: Adam on Fri, 21 June 2019 15:58
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 21 June 2019 16:28
By: Adam on Fri, 21 June 2019 16:58
By: mightyreasoner on Fri, 21 June 2019 17:27
By: Adam on Fri, 21 June 2019 19:14
By: Kr55 on Fri, 21 June 2019 21:55

Previous Topic:Oilers select 6th rd (#162) - Tomas Mazura
Next Topic:MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca