This day on April 30
Acquired: Bryan Muir (1996)

Happy Birthday To: oilfan351, CaptainBucky, Oilersfanatic6, oilers80s, Molsonmagneto, uglyoil

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730028 is a reply to message #730020 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 11:20

Magnum wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 11:13

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:04

Adam wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 08:54

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 08:05

It's amazing what happens when a team gets NHL caliber goaltending. The Oilers got it and they won. Shocker!! There were a few times when Talbot was called upon to make some good saves but in my opinion, that is pretty standard for most teams. The Oilers have depth issues but I didn't think they were outplayed like I saw mentioned in here. When you have the nuclear weapon that is McDavid and close behind Leon, if they get good goaltending and play somewhat sound hockey, they can grind out wins.

Don't look now but Leon is tied for 3rd in goals and 7th in scoring in the NHL. But lets remember that apparently he is overpaid and can't drive a line just because he can't magically make guys like Rieder who has zero goals in 40 games good players. icon_rolleyes

If they outshoot us and out-Corsi us 2-to-1, then yeah...it's probably safe to say we were outplayed. Talbot stole us a game.

Not sure why you always need to have a snarkiness to your posts. You could just have left that line at "Leon is 3rd in goals and 7th in points..."

For what it's worth, I still think Chia botched the negotiation against Draisaitl, and probably could have had him at similar term for $1 to $1.5MM per season less...which would have been significant. I've never said that Draisaitl isn't a great player - I hope he hits 100 points this year - but I would have liked the Oilers to better position themselves to save cap space, even on their top players.

I am snarky when it comes to Leon because I listened to people call in to Lowtide yesterday and complain about Leon again. You are doing almost the exact thing. The guy is going to score more than 40 goals and get 100 points. He's not overpaid, not even close. If you think a 40+ goal, 100 pt guy making 8.5 mill is overpaid, then you must also think McDavid is overpaid because he makes 4 mill more and Leon will be right there in goals and 15 pts behind. It's just not true. Yes McDavid is incredible and the engine of the Oilers. But Leon is close behind and in my opinion, McDavid benefits from having Leon on his team almost as much as Leon does.

Then I just saw Matthews sign for 11.634 on a 5 yr deal. Matthews is a one hell of a player but I am not convinced that he will outscore Leon by much if at all. Not 3 mill more worth of scoring. Plus when Matthews is a free agent, Leon will STILL be under contract. Marner is probably going to get close to Matthews money for a similar term. Just like Matthews, I doubt Marner will out score Leon by much if at all and he will be making significantly more money.

You mention he should be making 1-1.5 mill less. So that means he should be making in the 7 mill range on a long term deal. So Nylander money. I am not trying to be a jerk but I find that laughable because it's not even CLOSE between Leon and Nylander. If the Leafs called the Oilers and said "We will give you Nylander for Leon" I would hope the Oilers would burst out laughing and then hang up the phone. If you think Leon is only a 7 mill player, does that mean you would do that deal?

True, people complain about Leon, despite his scoring levels. That doesn't mean the complaints are unwarranted.

People, accurately complained about Ovechkin's lack of defensive GAF, and how it was preventing his team from winning a Cup. Ovechkin matured in his game, and now he has a Cup.

It is very possible to be a very good player, while having significant room for improvement.

It is also possible, or even likely as usual, that RDOF has missed the point of most of the complaints about Drai.
Sure, some complain he is lazy etc but when it comes to his contract most of the complaints are that it could have been cheaper.
It is another example of how almost the ENTIRE hockey watching world were surprised at the top dollar and term that was given him when it didnt seem to be required.

I think Drai is great offensively. I think he has room for improvement, specifically on some of his passes that get picked off and in the D zone.
I also think that he is overpaid, not based on his point totals but based on what comparables were out there when he signed.

Not to poop on Draisaitl, but he does the majority of his scoring (goals and apples) when he is on the ice with McDavid. So as a winger... let’s look at a comparable, point wise. What’s Johnny Gaudreau making? 6.75 AAV. Huge win for Calgary there, in point comparison.

Okay, so he’s been centering his own line recently and was during that playoff run, for the most part. So as a centre, let’s look at a comparable, points wise. What’s Nate McKinnon making? 6.3 AAV. Huge win for Colorado there, in point comparison.

But but but, both Gaudreau and McKinnon signed their deals the season before Draisaitl signed his. Okay... so let’s look at;
Winger signed in 2017, David Pasternak at 6.66 AAV. Huge win for Boston there, in point comparison.
Centre signed in 2017, Jack Eichel at 10 AAV. Win for Edmonton there, in point comparison. Though Eichel is ‘the face’ of the Sabres and almost exclusively plays centre, without a Connor McDavid inflation.

I’m saying points wise bc that’s pretty much all that RD seems to put stock into.

Again, my intention isn’t to poop on Draisaitl or throw shade his way at all. What I’m saying is at the time, and even now, his contract seems to be an overpayment when looking at comparables which you need to do when negotiating. However, he and the Oilers agreed on a number and all the power to Leon. He’s been an incredible #2 to Connor and even at times outperforms Connor. Pumped that he’s an Oiler and will be for several more season.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54)
By: OilFans on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:30
Read Message Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54)
By: Kr55 on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:39
By: g2k on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:40
By: Kr55 on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:42
By: Kr55 on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:45
By: PlusOne on Fri, 08 February 2019 08:54
By: Adam on Fri, 08 February 2019 09:15
By: PlusOne on Fri, 08 February 2019 09:17
By: overdue on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:48
By: Kr55 on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:55
By: overdue on Thu, 07 February 2019 21:14
By: Magnum on Thu, 07 February 2019 22:25
By: CrusaderPi on Thu, 07 February 2019 22:51
By: nullterm on Thu, 07 February 2019 23:00
By: Xombie on Fri, 08 February 2019 02:33
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 08 February 2019 08:05
By: Adam on Fri, 08 February 2019 08:54
By: welcometotheOC on Fri, 08 February 2019 09:00
By: PlusOne on Fri, 08 February 2019 09:19
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:04
By: Magnum on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:13
By: PlusOne on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:20
By: Oscargasm on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:47
By: Adam on Fri, 08 February 2019 14:58
By: overdue on Fri, 08 February 2019 16:25
By: Kr55 on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:30
By: K.McC#24 on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:33
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:35
By: Magnum on Fri, 08 February 2019 11:11
By: Ragnarok73 on Fri, 08 February 2019 13:01
By: Oscargasm on Fri, 08 February 2019 13:30
By: Rocksteady on Fri, 08 February 2019 09:19
By: overdue on Fri, 08 February 2019 09:42

Previous Topic:Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #55)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca