This day on May 14
None

Happy Birthday To: feepa, g2k, Oilfan In UK, Dan86, swany, Oilers000, canoilers, lmaonade, ont_oil_fan81, I'm_Topher, cliffordbaker, headpins

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to nested viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730025 is a reply to message #730019 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Magnum wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:13

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:04

Adam wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 08:54

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 08:05

It's amazing what happens when a team gets NHL caliber goaltending. The Oilers got it and they won. Shocker!! There were a few times when Talbot was called upon to make some good saves but in my opinion, that is pretty standard for most teams. The Oilers have depth issues but I didn't think they were outplayed like I saw mentioned in here. When you have the nuclear weapon that is McDavid and close behind Leon, if they get good goaltending and play somewhat sound hockey, they can grind out wins.

Don't look now but Leon is tied for 3rd in goals and 7th in scoring in the NHL. But lets remember that apparently he is overpaid and can't drive a line just because he can't magically make guys like Rieder who has zero goals in 40 games good players. icon_rolleyes

If they outshoot us and out-Corsi us 2-to-1, then yeah...it's probably safe to say we were outplayed. Talbot stole us a game.

Not sure why you always need to have a snarkiness to your posts. You could just have left that line at "Leon is 3rd in goals and 7th in points..."

For what it's worth, I still think Chia botched the negotiation against Draisaitl, and probably could have had him at similar term for $1 to $1.5MM per season less...which would have been significant. I've never said that Draisaitl isn't a great player - I hope he hits 100 points this year - but I would have liked the Oilers to better position themselves to save cap space, even on their top players.

I am snarky when it comes to Leon because I listened to people call in to Lowtide yesterday and complain about Leon again. You are doing almost the exact thing. The guy is going to score more than 40 goals and get 100 points. He's not overpaid, not even close. If you think a 40+ goal, 100 pt guy making 8.5 mill is overpaid, then you must also think McDavid is overpaid because he makes 4 mill more and Leon will be right there in goals and 15 pts behind. It's just not true. Yes McDavid is incredible and the engine of the Oilers. But Leon is close behind and in my opinion, McDavid benefits from having Leon on his team almost as much as Leon does.

Then I just saw Matthews sign for 11.634 on a 5 yr deal. Matthews is a one hell of a player but I am not convinced that he will outscore Leon by much if at all. Not 3 mill more worth of scoring. Plus when Matthews is a free agent, Leon will STILL be under contract. Marner is probably going to get close to Matthews money for a similar term. Just like Matthews, I doubt Marner will out score Leon by much if at all and he will be making significantly more money.

You mention he should be making 1-1.5 mill less. So that means he should be making in the 7 mill range on a long term deal. So Nylander money. I am not trying to be a jerk but I find that laughable because it's not even CLOSE between Leon and Nylander. If the Leafs called the Oilers and said "We will give you Nylander for Leon" I would hope the Oilers would burst out laughing and then hang up the phone. If you think Leon is only a 7 mill player, does that mean you would do that deal?

True, people complain about Leon, despite his scoring levels. That doesn't mean the complaints are unwarranted.

People, accurately complained about Ovechkin's lack of defensive GAF, and how it was preventing his team from winning a Cup. Ovechkin matured in his game, and now he has a Cup.

It is very possible to be a very good player, while having significant room for improvement.

I am not saying he's a perfect player. He makes mistakes and has room to get better defensive. I heard the other day his goal is to win the Selke. That's a hell of a goal to work towards. McDavid still screws up defensively, happens all the time. But I don't hear fans piling on McDavid saying he is overpaid like they do Leon. It's all the time with Leon. The guy is the best faceoff guy on the team. He's going to score over 40 goals and probably 100 pts. I don't get what more people want from this guy. There are lots of guys to bash on this team. Leon shouldn't be one of them.

I love Nuge. In Edmonton, the only guy that walks on water more than McDavid is Nuge but look at his career. Drafted first overall. He has 51 pts in 54 games. So it looks like he will FINALLY crack the 60 pt barrier. He's in his 8th season. and his career high is 56 pts. He's on pace for 24 goals. He's a first overall, in his 8th season and he hasn't scored 25 goals EVER. He's at 45% on faceoffs so he hasn't improved much in that area in 8 seasons. He's -5. Now +/- isn't that big of a stat anymore BUT he's been a plus player only twice in 8 seasons. I am a bit fan of Nuge like I said. But for a #1 overall pick, you should have score more than a career high 56 pts, yet he hasn't. For a #1 overall center, you'd think you could get to 50% at faceoffs after 8 seasons, yet he's never did it even once. Where is the complaints about Nuge?

It seems to me that Oilers fans have a love affair with the more meat and potatoes guys and piss on the super skilled guys, McDavid being the exception. Ryan Smyth was a real good Oiler but he was a meat and potatoes guy and if Ryan Smyth is the face of the franchise, you probably don't win a lot. Nuge has lots of skill and has more finesse to his game than Smyth did but when you look at his game, its a little more hard working, grind out it , closer to meat and potatoes hockey than the uber skilled, finesse game of Leon. So fans LOVE Nuge from day 1 even though when you really look at him, he might FINALLY be the player we all expected him to be this year which is 8 years after his draft year vs Leon who gets crapped on for almost everything. Doesn't add up to me.

Send a private message to this user  

Read Message Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54)
By: OilFans on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:30
Read Message Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54)
By: Kr55 on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:39
By: g2k on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:40
By: Kr55 on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:42
By: Kr55 on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:45
By: PlusOne on Fri, 08 February 2019 08:54
By: Adam on Fri, 08 February 2019 09:15
By: PlusOne on Fri, 08 February 2019 09:17
By: overdue on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:48
By: Kr55 on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:55
By: overdue on Thu, 07 February 2019 21:14
By: Magnum on Thu, 07 February 2019 22:25
By: CrusaderPi on Thu, 07 February 2019 22:51
By: nullterm on Thu, 07 February 2019 23:00
By: Xombie on Fri, 08 February 2019 02:33
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 08 February 2019 08:05
By: Adam on Fri, 08 February 2019 08:54
By: welcometotheOC on Fri, 08 February 2019 09:00
By: PlusOne on Fri, 08 February 2019 09:19
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:04
By: Magnum on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:13
By: PlusOne on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:20
By: Oscargasm on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:47
By: Adam on Fri, 08 February 2019 14:58
By: overdue on Fri, 08 February 2019 16:25
By: Kr55 on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:30
By: K.McC#24 on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:33
By: RDOilerfan on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:35
By: Magnum on Fri, 08 February 2019 11:11
By: Ragnarok73 on Fri, 08 February 2019 13:01
By: Oscargasm on Fri, 08 February 2019 13:30
By: Rocksteady on Fri, 08 February 2019 09:19
By: overdue on Fri, 08 February 2019 09:42

Previous Topic:Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #55)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca