Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   87%
Los Angeles to win:   13%
15 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832470 is a reply to message #832457 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Classic Nurse.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832471 is a reply to message #832470 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Couldn’t get a lead. Unreal

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832477 is a reply to message #832470 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 23:08

Classic Nurse.

It was the other D-man having a shoving match at the redline when the goal went in that was the issue.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832510 is a reply to message #832477 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 22:13

Classic Nurse.

It was the other D-man having a shoving match at the redline when the goal went in that was the issue.

I think I saw something different.. The LA d-man shot the puck up from the LA zone to Byfield at center ice.. Ceci had Byfield checked.. puck deflects off Byfield.. Nurse is asleep at the wheel (great band!) .. he has initial position on Kopitar and should be able to check him .. but is caught flat footed (?) due to (IMHO) lack of situational awareness, and too slow to react, which is a problem of his (my complaint) .. maybe he has a mechanical weakness pivoting to his right (?) .. but he's one of the Oilers top 2 shutdown D-men.. can't happen.. so often.. One (1) mistake can cost you a playoff series.. and a Stanley Cup (ask Steve Smith! .. although Fuhr should've had it!) .. Nurse.. as with everyone else, has to play mistake free, along with highest level of situational awareness, in order to progress through to the Cup final.. they all need to be much better.

https://i.imgur.com/XajSx5G.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/vvQgjOP.jpeg

after his "pivot " Nurse has now moved further away from Kopitar (towards the viewer) than when he was initially
https://i.imgur.com/HC0Ovn4.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/ZLK9nDZ.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/Z04r4Th.jpeg

[Updated on: Thu, 25 April 2024 15:21]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832517 is a reply to message #832510 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 15:12

Nurse.. as with everyone else, has to play mistake free, along with highest level of situational awareness, in order to progress through to the Cup final.. they all need to be much better.

I will say, "mistake-free" isn't a reasonable expectation for any hockey player. I think it's become part of the lexicon while watching and judging hockey the last several years, but the reality is that it's a very fast game, and it's played by real people, not machines. Mistakes are going to happen all over the ice every game.

You hope guys aren't making the same mistakes over and over, but they're all going to make some mistakes out there.

I do think that was a ridiculous miracle bounce. Maybe Nurse could have played it better, but for a shot to just hit off a guy right on to the stick of a guy with a full head of steam? That's some awful luck.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832518 is a reply to message #832517 ]
Fri, 26 April 2024 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 21:33

..I do think that was a ridiculous miracle bounce. Maybe Nurse could have played it better, but for a shot to just hit off a guy right on to the stick of a guy with a full head of steam? That's some awful luck.

That's where situational awareness comes in.. anticipate the dangerous man.. and neutralize the danger.... guys like Ekholm do it routinely.. some don't.. you have to anticipate unexpected bounces will happen so you take the open man regardless of where the puck is or isn't.
As soon as the puck gets shot by the LA defenseman back in his zone.. Nurse should have already gone to tie up Kopitar, get his stick/body on him.. he wound up watching the puck.. an unexpected deflection off Byfield.. did a bad pivot.. lost 2 steps.. and that's all she wrote..
Ceci had the right idea.. he had Byfield tied up along the boards Byfield wasn't going to get into the play no matter what ..

Not just Nurse.. Oilers have been giving up odd man rushes all year, but Nurse is supposed to be the reliable shut-down D-man..

Staples had a good discussion about Nurse and "mistakes-leading-to-odd-man-rushes-against" stats .. here;
https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /edmonton-oilers-crushed-in-ot-by-the-same-old-thing-that-cr ushed-them-all-year

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832526 is a reply to message #832510 ]
Fri, 26 April 2024 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Classic Nurse.

I think I saw something different.. The LA d-man shot the puck up from the LA zone to Byfield at center ice.. Ceci had Byfield checked.. puck deflects off Byfield.. Nurse is asleep at the wheel (great band!) .. he has initial position on Kopitar and should be able to check him .. but is caught flat footed (?) due to (IMHO) lack of situational awareness, and too slow to react, which is a problem of his (my complaint) .. maybe he has a mechanical weakness pivoting to his right (?) .. but he's one of the Oilers top 2 shutdown D-men.. can't happen.. so often.. One (1) mistake can cost you a playoff series.. and a Stanley Cup (ask Steve Smith! .. although Fuhr should've had it!) .. Nurse.. as with everyone else, has to play mistake free, along with highest level of situational awareness, in order to progress through to the Cup final.. they all need to be much better.

I agree with 95% of this. I have been hard on Ceci a lot this year but he is making the exact right play there. Blaming him for this goal is just a silly take.
While I agree that Nurse could have made a better play it is a really tough read. I dont think anyone expected that puck to come out of the boards or be redirected by Byfield right to Kopitar.
When the puck side D pinches off a long pass the other D needs to cheat to the middle and the weak side winger needs to be coming back to cover the trailer.
This is where Nurse could have done better in that as soon as the long pass to center was made, Ceci steps up, Nurse cheats over. If he does that a quarter second earlier he is probably able to make a play on the puck or angle Kopitar to a worse shooting angle.

IMO Ceci made the right play and Nurse was a little late on his read. Not every goal has to have a player drawn and quartered and this is one of them. I thought Nurse had a decent game overall.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832534 is a reply to message #832526 ]
Fri, 26 April 2024 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 26 April 2024 10:51

Classic Nurse.

I agree with 95% of this. I have been hard on Ceci a lot this year but he is making the exact right play there. Blaming him for this goal is just a silly take.
While I agree that Nurse could have made a better play it is a really tough read. I dont think anyone expected that puck to come out of the boards or be redirected by Byfield right to Kopitar.
When the puck side D pinches off a long pass the other D needs to cheat to the middle and the weak side winger needs to be coming back to cover the trailer.
This is where Nurse could have done better in that as soon as the long pass to center was made, Ceci steps up, Nurse cheats over. If he does that a quarter second earlier he is probably able to make a play on the puck or angle Kopitar to a worse shooting angle.

IMO Ceci made the right play and Nurse was a little late on his read. Not every goal has to have a player drawn and quartered and this is one of them. I thought Nurse had a decent game overall.

Yeah, nothing about that goal makes me unhappy. It was just the icing on the cake for a ridiculous game. Kopitar is just skating down the middle so he can put pressure on Nurse for an icing. And next thing you know the puck is right on his stick.

Hope no oilers are reading too much into it, aside from they obviously need to up their game a bit more and be more aware when LA has their only good line out on the ice. No more flying the zone like dopes against Kopitar's line please.

Skinner, everyone will be laser focused on him now. We know what he looks like when his confidence has crashed. His 2nd efforts just vanish, he starts getting very stationary in net. Don't know what you even do if that happens though. We probably don't play Pickard until we are down in an elimination game.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832473 is a reply to message #832457 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Couldn’t get a save when they needed it.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832479 is a reply to message #832473 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 23:09

Couldn’t get a save when they needed it.

Played pretty bad too. Got no bounces. McDavid off all night long. And still almost won.

Get crap together for game 3.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832474 is a reply to message #832457 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

https://i.postimg.cc/L55t7T76/8ebabf2f-1548-46e8-bc96-bf447a854632-text.gif

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832475 is a reply to message #832457 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Wow. No bounces at all tonight. Just to rub it in a wild throw at the boards turns into the puck perfectly landing for a Kopitar breakaway.

Gotta play way better next game.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832476 is a reply to message #832457 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Lost the goalie battle tonight.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832480 is a reply to message #832457 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpcos  is currently offline cpcos

No Cups

Skinner is not a goalie to win a cup…. no matter what everyone says.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832481 is a reply to message #832480 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

cpcos wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 23:15

It's too late for that now. He's gotta be the guy

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832483 is a reply to message #832480 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

cpcos wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 23:15

I haven’t heard too many people saying it.

Except Hollandaise.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832482 is a reply to message #832457 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I’m really hoping the Oilers, local media and many fair weather fans at work learned something tonight.

The way local sports media was writing off the Kings in tonight’s game was a bit troubling.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832485 is a reply to message #832482 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 23:21

I’m really hoping the Oilers, local media and many fair weather fans at work learned something tonight.

The way local sports media was writing off the Kings in tonight’s game was a bit troubling.

Can say the Kings aren't that good while also knowing the Oilers can play like crap. Hope no one following the Oilers more than a year doesn't not know we could play like that, or Skinner can go Swiss cheese. Still confused why he just tipped over backwards before being touched by Doughty instead of just stopping the slow sliding puck he was looking at. Fiala goal, still haven't seen an angle where it makes sense for him to have let it in.

Excuse me though while I call California closets to surround myself with excellence.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 April 2024 23:33]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832487 is a reply to message #832485 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 23:31

Can say the Kings aren't that good while also knowing the Oilers can play like crap. Hope no one following the Oilers more than a year doesn't not know we could play like that, or Skinner can go Swiss cheese. Still confused why he just tipped over backwards before being touched by Doughty instead of just stopping the slow sliding puck he was looking at. Fiala goal, still haven't seen an angle where it makes sense for him to have let it in.

Excuse me though while I call California closets to surround myself with excellence.

Everyone in the playoffs is good now. The bottom half is playing golf so now we're left with a very good team and a just good team. Even if it was easy, it wasn't going to be easy.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832490 is a reply to message #832487 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 23:42

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 23:31

Everyone in the playoffs is good now. The bottom half is playing golf so now we're left with a very good team and a just good team. Even if it was easy, it wasn't going to be easy.

Yeah, you know what i mean though. Equal effort and luck, LA really has no business beating the Oilers.

Lots of good teams have choked it all away in the playoffs, or had a run of stupid bad luck, or simply didn't play like they could. Just gotta hope that's not us. We have a good advantage, but boys on the ice still gotta actually perform.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 April 2024 00:27]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832498 is a reply to message #832482 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

This, all day this. Never look past stay with what's in front of you. Play. Grind. Win. Repeat.

The Oilers had a good game one but they got passive. Too many puck watchers from Skinner on out. The reffing wasn't on our side last night and the Oilers need to understand that.

Play
Grind
Win
Repeat

That's the mantra.

Are they a stanley cup team? They need to tighten up defensively and expose those rare moments of breakdowns. Too few of the team really played with their head 100% in the game.

I won't single a player out on this loss because this is a team loss. End of story.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832484 is a reply to message #832457 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

The Leafs would be leading Boston 3-0 if Stu was a Bruin.

Gonna take a miracle.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832486 is a reply to message #832484 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

g2k wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 02:29

Gonna take a miracle.

The answer, quite clearly is Calvin Pickard.

Better save % this year. Better GAA this year. Drafted a round earlier, so obviously way better. Born right here in Moncton. And on Canada Day! He’s the guy that will bring the Cup back to Canada.

Mostly tongue in cheek, but honestly, I’d give him a shot in game 3. Skinner with .892 in game 1, and then .808 tonight. He did make a few good stops game 1, but he was only ok.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832488 is a reply to message #832486 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 23:41

Gonna take a miracle.

Better save % this year. Better GAA this year. Drafted a round earlier, so obviously way better. Born right here in Moncton. And on Canada Day! He’s the guy that will bring the Cup back to Canada.

Mostly tongue in cheek, but honestly, I’d give him a shot in game 3. Skinner with .892 in game 1, and then .808 tonight. He did make a few good stops game 1, but he was only ok.

I’m not there yet. I don’t think just sliding him into 1 game right now is the answer. I think that would crater Skinners confidence completely.

He needs to be a star Friday night.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832494 is a reply to message #832488 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 23:43

Gonna take a miracle.

I’m not there yet. I don’t think just sliding him into 1 game right now is the answer. I think that would crater Skinners confidence completely.

This is the exact same conversation we had last year. Do you leave Skinner in to continue to not make a save and let in momentum killing goals because he's been designated the starter or do you play the other guy and see if you can get a save.

Last year they went back to him again and again to maintain his confidence (or something) and the bigger the moment got the worse the goaltending got.

We already know how this plays out with Skinner. I'd go to Pickard.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832495 is a reply to message #832494 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Jay wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 05:51

Gonna take a miracle.

This is the exact same conversation we had last year. Do you leave Skinner in to continue to not make a save and let in momentum killing goals because he's been designated the starter or do you play the other guy and see if you can get a save.

Last year they went back to him again and again to maintain his confidence (or something) and the bigger the moment got the worse the goaltending got.

Yeah, if I recall correctly Woody pulled him often, but would then trot him back out there the next game.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832500 is a reply to message #832495 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

g2k wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 10:40

Gonna take a miracle.

Yeah, if I recall correctly Woody pulled him often, but would then trot him back out there the next game.

Boston has done goaltending by committee all year and apparently into the playoffs as well with 2 guys playing well above either Oilers goalie.

Pickard and Skinner both posted similar win% this year, but Pickard had both a better GAA (2.45 vs 2.62) and a better Save % (.909 vs .905)

I am a Skinner supporter, and he made a few awesome saves in game 1, but other than starting a lot more games than his counterpart, there's nothing about his performance this season compared to Pickard that should guarantee him the start.

I'd go with Pickard. Win and you stay in. I just don't see that much of a drop off, and I truly believe that going back to Skinner in game 6 cost us that series. Would hate to see them do it again this year.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832515 is a reply to message #832500 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 08:05

Gonna take a miracle.

Boston has done goaltending by committee all year and apparently into the playoffs as well with 2 guys playing well above either Oilers goalie.

Pickard and Skinner both posted similar win% this year, but Pickard had both a better GAA (2.45 vs 2.62) and a better Save % (.909 vs .905)

I am a Skinner supporter, and he made a few awesome saves in game 1, but other than starting a lot more games than his counterpart, there's nothing about his performance this season compared to Pickard that should guarantee him the start.

I'd go with Pickard. Win and you stay in. I just don't see that much of a drop off, and I truly believe that going back to Skinner in game 6 cost us that series. Would hate to see them do it again this year.

Pickard had a lot more easy matchups, which might explain his sv% being a few points higher. He looks pretty chaotic in net (a la Campbell) whereas Skinner has some control. Think we are stuck with Stu.

I believe he can be better, but I do wonder if Rodrigue could have taken some reigns had we given him a chance as backup.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832516 is a reply to message #832515 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 16:45

Mike wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 08:05

Gonna take a miracle.

Pickard had a lot more easy matchups, which might explain his sv% being a few points higher. He looks pretty chaotic in net (a la Campbell) whereas Skinner has some control. Think we are stuck with Stu.

I believe he can be better, but I do wonder if Rodrigue could have taken some reigns had we given him a chance as backup.

We talked this to death during and after the winning streak. They were overplaying Skinner and had no idea what the back up plan would look like. They should have played Pickard more, called up Rodrigue for a look, and traded for a vet. They didn't, but should have. Fortunately they were able to rest Skinner more over the last month so he shouldn't be tired (even though young players tend to burn out over 82+ games as they adjust to the professional grind). The worry is now that Skinner and the defense might just not be good enough. Only one way to find out. Playoffs are fun, aren't they?

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832520 is a reply to message #832515 ]
Fri, 26 April 2024 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 19:45

Pickard had a lot more easy matchups, which might explain his sv% being a few points higher.

You're 100% right of course. That is the biggest difference. He had some solid outings against a few good clubs, but the bulk of his good games were against bottom feeders.

I really don't want to see him or anyone else in net until we hoist the Cup, but I just don't want to wait until it's too late. Like last year, as much as I hate Campbell's game, I 100% would have started him game 6.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832521 is a reply to message #832520 ]
Fri, 26 April 2024 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 26 April 2024 06:08

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 19:45

Pickard had a lot more easy matchups, which might explain his sv% being a few points higher.

You're 100% right of course. That is the biggest difference. He had some solid outings against a few good clubs, but the bulk of his good games were against bottom feeders.

I really don't want to see him or anyone else in net until we hoist the Cup, but I just don't want to wait until it's too late. Like last year, as much as I hate Campbell's game, I 100% would have started him game 6.

It wasn't just game 6 though. Skinner was terrible the entire playoffs. They don't get out of round 1 without Campbell.

Them at the start of the year when the pressure was high again he was just as bad if not worse than Campbell but he managed to stick around.

Skinner has been anointed the starter in large part based on his likeability from the media and the usual oiler way of deciding at some point that a player is x and then assuming they'll just become that thing.

Hope I'm wrong but this trend of playing worse the higher the stakes isn't going away. I think we see Picard before this run is over.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832489 is a reply to message #832457 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I absolutely love 97, but the video coach needs to put together a video montage of Connor trying to deke a handful of Kings and losing possession.

It’s a strategy I’m not that fond of right now. They have enough talent gain a zone and create chances better than that. It’s not working and ended up with the puck going the other way and in our net on one attempt.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832491 is a reply to message #832489 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 23:54

I absolutely love 97, but the video coach needs to put together a video montage of Connor trying to deke a handful of Kings and losing possession.

It’s a strategy I’m not that fond of right now. They have enough talent gain a zone and create chances better than that. It’s not working and ended up with the puck going the other way and in our net on one attempt.

That's kinda taking things for granted. Some overconfidence, and he did that through almost all the game. His wingers can help him, but he wanted to keep going for an individual effort highlight goal/play. Imagine he will be much better in game 3. Lots of wake up call opportunities to be had tonight.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832492 is a reply to message #832457 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Tough break for Nurse at the end there....but he's gotta read the situation more effectively as a "shutdown" guy.

What a waste of a game where we get two goals from a 4th liner and one from a 3rd pairing Dman.

Also, Leon needs to start driving play at even strength...for real tho

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832493 is a reply to message #832492 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

On the bright side, I think that was about as good as the Kings can play, plus they got even more fortunate bounces. On the other hand, that wasn't even close to as good as we can play.

Let's get that one back next game. We'll be better.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832497 is a reply to message #832493 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 05:24

On the bright side, I think that was about as good as the Kings can play, plus they got even more fortunate bounces. On the other hand, that wasn't even close to as good as we can play.

Let's get that one back next game. We'll be better.

I was going to say the same thing.

The Kings came out as if it was a game 7. They played hard.

I thought Bouchard didn't play well. First goal, he has complete control. He's the best puck mover by a mile on the team. He has a winger ready for the pass. He does a soft bank for some reason that is way too far and the puck gets turned over. That has to be a tape to tape but he wasn't trying to do that.

Second goal, I thought was awful on him. Good hand eye but Bouch is right beside Kempe. Just tie him up!! Instead he tries to bat the puck out of the air.
Before people get on me. This is not me bashing him. I like him, he does a ton good. For the Oilers, he touches the puck a ton and when he is off, it impacts them a lot and usually causes goals against. He wasn't good last night and factored in the loss big time. He will learn from it and be better next game.

I didn't love McD's game. 6 pts in 2 games looks great. But 5 of them were in the first game and they are all assists. The Kings were clearly keying on him and surrounding him trying to cut off the pass. I really hope someone like Leon or maybe Hyman talks to him and tells him while they really appreciate the passes, he has to shoot some. He's not a threat hardly at all right now to shoot the puck. He had 1 shot last night and he was trying to force passes. He needs to shoot more.

Skinner. I didn't love the 3rd goal. The Kings are getting the bounces big time right now. Doughty's goal, he loses control of the puck some and it goes in the perfect spot to go in but Skinner didn't play it well and I read this morning he said he misplayed it.

4th goal. He said he was screened but that can't go in. Not from that angle on the boards. I am not a goalie but to me, if you are in position the puck should hit you even if you are screened because the player wouldn't have an angle to shoot at.

With all that being said, the goalie not having his best game, a few very big mistakes their captain not playing well, and the Kings giving it their all, the game went to OT. In my opinion, to have a chance to win, the Kings have to play their best, they need bounces, they need Skinner to be mediocre, they need McD to be off and they need some big mistakes by an Oilers dman. That all happened last night. I don't think all that happens again in 1 game and even still, the Oilers could have won with a bounce here or there.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832496 is a reply to message #832457 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Holloway played 10 minutes to an injured Kane’s 16. I’d like to see the injured no defense player see less ice.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832499 is a reply to message #832496 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 08:08

Holloway played 10 minutes to an injured Kane’s 16. I’d like to see the injured no defense player see less ice.

Rightly or wrongly, the mass majority of NHL coaches defer to the vets in the playoffs because they trust them more. So I don't blame Knoblaugh for doing that.

I watched, way, way too many years in the past where the Oilers went way too young and threw their young guys to the wolves thrusting ice time on them they either weren't ready for it or didn't earn. At times in the past, I felt the young players played entitled and didn't play hungry enough or had the desire to push themselves to improve and evolve as a player. They knew they were getting their ice whether they were good or bad. So, I haven't had a problem with what the Oilers have done with Holloway. Keeping him down in the lines when in the NHL and if he wasn't getting enough minutes or showed he wasn't ready, send him down and play the crap out of him in the AHL.

He's a different player than he was early this season and in my opinion, it has to do with his time in the AHL. He's playing hungry. He's playing with confidence, he's playing more controlled rather than just flying around wildly. When he gets a shift, while playing properly, he's looking to make the most of it. He's playing well, when he is on the he's showing the coach he can trust him and he's making the most of his shifts. He's making the coach notice him in a good way. I suspect ice time is coming. He's doing what I expect a young guy to do. It's exciting because I had hopes for him. A big guy that can skate like the wind and can score. I was getting a bit nervous about him and him maybe not being as good as I hoped but since his call up late this year, I am starting to see why they drafted him.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832501 is a reply to message #832499 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

Never ceases to amaze me with Oilers fans. One game where Skinner wasn't terrible, it just wasn't his best game and now question marks about if he's good enough.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #3)
Next Topic:GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca