This day on April 27
None

Happy Birthday To: chickenman23, handsmatter94, TashOiler88

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829234]
Sat, 27 January 2024 16:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   87%
Nashville to win:   13%
15 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829235 is a reply to message #829234 ]
Sat, 27 January 2024 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

This team does not give up goals.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829236 is a reply to message #829234 ]
Sat, 27 January 2024 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

What is losing?!

Awesome last minute!

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829237 is a reply to message #829236 ]
Sat, 27 January 2024 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

What a win boys!!!!!!

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829240 is a reply to message #829237 ]
Sat, 27 January 2024 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Well this isn't the Oilers team we've been used to over the last few years. Those are the type of games we come out of with a loss. Just a total buy in from everyone, and as much as I hate to say this, but Perry fitted like a glove.

Wish the Vegas game was in the middle of the week, but they'll still be feeling confident going into the game.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829238 is a reply to message #829234 ]
Sat, 27 January 2024 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

Sweet Sixteen!!! I liked Perry’s game, once he gets going in a few it’s gonna be great
Sucks we have to have 11 days off before Vegas but I can’t wait to beat Pittsburghs record!

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829253 is a reply to message #829238 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

NCREDiBLE wrote on Sat, 27 January 2024 16:38

Sweet Sixteen!!! I liked Perry’s game, once he gets going in a few it’s gonna be great
Sucks we have to have 11 days off before Vegas but I can’t wait to beat Pittsburghs record!

FWIW, I don't think we really CAN beat Pittsburgh's record here, but we can set a new post-shootout era record. The Penguins won 17 in a row in an era where there were still ties - the Oilers won one game on this streak in a shootout - that wouldn't be a win in the 1990s. The Pens ended up tying a game to lose their winning streak. They lost the next game so their unbeaten streak was 18.

There's virtually no chance of us threatening the all-time unbeaten streak of 35 games (Flyers, 1979-80).

That said, it's still really fun, and it will be nice to see how long they can keep this going. The next game is probably the hardest, coming after such a long layoff against a good team in Vegas. Definitely a team we owe a couple thrashings to though...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829261 is a reply to message #829253 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 12:19

FWIW, I don't think we really CAN beat Pittsburgh's record here, but we can set a new post-shootout era record. The Penguins won 17 in a row in an era where there were still ties - the Oilers won one game on this streak in a shootout - that wouldn't be a win in the 1990s. The Pens ended up tying a game to lose their winning streak. They lost the next game so their unbeaten streak was 18.

There's virtually no chance of us threatening the all-time unbeaten streak of 35 games (Flyers, 1979-80).

That said, it's still really fun, and it will be nice to see how long they can keep this going. The next game is probably the hardest, coming after such a long layoff against a good team in Vegas. Definitely a team we owe a couple thrashings to though...

I was talking about this with a buddy the other day. He was amazed at all these amazing winning streaks. I pointed out that not only did they still have ties before shootouts became a thing, before 1983 there was not even OT.

And that Philly record is amazing.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829274 is a reply to message #829261 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 11:14

Adam wrote on Mon, 29 January 2024 12:19

I was talking about this with a buddy the other day. He was amazed at all these amazing winning streaks. I pointed out that not only did they still have ties before shootouts became a thing, before 1983 there was not even OT.

And that Philly record is amazing.

It really is - especially since that's not in 1973-74 beating up on a watered down league. That's after the WHA merger in the Oilers first season. The Flyers finished first in the league going 48-12-20, then marched through the first three playoff rounds 11-2...only to lose to the Islanders in the Finals. Must have been devastating for them. Only 14 losses out of 93 games, and then they lose 4 out of 6 in an 11-day period.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829239 is a reply to message #829234 ]
Sat, 27 January 2024 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Pretty sure that's the first full colander month that the Oilers have cleanly won every game.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829250 is a reply to message #829239 ]
Sun, 28 January 2024 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 27 January 2024 16:41

Pretty sure that's the first full colander month that the Oilers have cleanly won every game.

January 2010 they were 0-10-2 so winning all of January 2023 is a treat for long time fans.

About time.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829241 is a reply to message #829234 ]
Sat, 27 January 2024 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Thought they were outplayed most of the game, lots of posts and near misses for Nashville, with some grenade handling of the puck that I haven't seen much of since Nov. The big guys did their thing, and the backchecking and Stu were huge. Gotta be good to be lucky and they all count.

Nashville is not a team I'd want to play in the first round. They don't take a shift off.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829242 is a reply to message #829241 ]
Sat, 27 January 2024 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

...was there. Nice to see a 2-3 minute ovation for the OIL to end the game. god

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829281 is a reply to message #829242 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

watchman wrote on Sat, 27 January 2024 21:20

...was there. Nice to see a 2-3 minute ovation for the OIL to end the game. god

Was there too. Was great to see Skinner as first star and the ovation he got after his on-ice post game chat was fantastic. Looks like the Oilers are playing as a team for the first time since 2006. Egos out of the dressing room, accountability, maturity, expectations = success.

Hope they keep it up for the rest of the year!!!

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829243 is a reply to message #829234 ]
Sat, 27 January 2024 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Vegas and Oilers now tied at 14 games over .500. Oilers actually ahead on pt% because they've played less games. Bettman loser points keeping Vegas "ahead" in the standings.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829244 is a reply to message #829243 ]
Sun, 28 January 2024 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Now we just wait and see what the all star break does to our momentum

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829245 is a reply to message #829244 ]
Sun, 28 January 2024 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Sun, 28 January 2024 07:58

I don't think it will do anything.

If the Oilers were only winning because of a couple hot players or a hot PP, then maybe. They are winning with solid goaltending from both guys, great PK and PK is all about the system and execution, not a few guys having a hot streak, really good defence and scoring up and down the lines.

I think/hope the break will be good for them. It will allow them to reset plus nurse all the minor injuries I am sure some guys have. Kane especially.

Pretty unreal. 16 in a row. I wasn't able to watch the game, prime time for kids hockey but it sure sounds like Perry fit in well with McLeod and Holloway. The only issue is those 2 have to get used to having a guy that can make great plays. He was a top line winger and big time scorer for most of his career. So the skill level, hockey sense and creativity it probably going to be on another level than their previous linemate.

I am very excited to see what Perry can do for a guy like McLeod. He's already turned a corner with his game, if even the smallest amount of Perry's nasty could rub off on McLeod, he would go next level.

[Updated on: Sun, 28 January 2024 08:57]

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829251 is a reply to message #829245 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Sun, 28 January 2024 15:30

tardigrade81 wrote on Sun, 28 January 2024 07:58

I don't think it will do anything.

If the Oilers were only winning because of a couple hot players or a hot PP, then maybe. They are winning with solid goaltending from both guys, great PK and PK is all about the system and execution, not a few guys having a hot streak, really good defence and scoring up and down the lines.

I think/hope the break will be good for them. It will allow them to reset plus nurse all the minor injuries I am sure some guys have. Kane especially.

Pretty unreal. 16 in a row. I wasn't able to watch the game, prime time for kids hockey but it sure sounds like Perry fit in well with McLeod and Holloway. The only issue is those 2 have to get used to having a guy that can make great plays. He was a top line winger and big time scorer for most of his career. So the skill level, hockey sense and creativity it probably going to be on another level than their previous linemate.

Well said. We will know soon enough. A tough task going against Vegas on feb 6

I am very excited to see what Perry can do for a guy like McLeod. He's already turned a corner with his game, if even the smallest amount of Perry's nasty could rub off on McLeod, he would go next level.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829264 is a reply to message #829251 ]
Mon, 29 January 2024 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I definitely didn't think I'd ever see a team have a perfect month of hockey winning wise. You can play well for longer than a month and things happen causing you to lose a game.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829289 is a reply to message #829234 ]
Tue, 30 January 2024 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Anybody else worried that the team has 10 days off then starts with a game in Vegas. Are they checking up on Evander Kane like every hour?

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829290 is a reply to message #829289 ]
Tue, 30 January 2024 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 30 January 2024 17:53

Anybody else worried that the team has 10 days off then starts with a game in Vegas. Are they checking up on Evander Kane like every hour?

Anybody who says they aren’t is lying. Playing Vegas after ten days off is not pleasant. I would much rather play Chicago, or San Jose. But it is what it is. Have to face these guys eventually. We beat them already once this year, and we can do it again. Hopefully the time off doesn’t kill the momentum

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829291 is a reply to message #829290 ]
Tue, 30 January 2024 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Tue, 30 January 2024 11:04

Anybody who says they aren’t is lying. Playing Vegas after ten days off is not pleasant. I would much rather play Chicago, or San Jose. But it is what it is. Have to face these guys eventually. We beat them already once this year, and we can do it again. Hopefully the time off doesn’t kill the momentum

I would not want to play a lower team what so ever and I am not worried about the Oilers showing up, nor do I think any fan should be.

Vegas is off for the exact same time as the Oilers. So this will be their first game back as well. They will have the exact same amount of time off and practice time as the Oilers.

Vegas's building is one of the better buildings in the league for atmosphere. The building will be full, there will probably be a lot of Oilers fans in the stands so there should be energy in the building.

Vegas knocked off the Oilers in the playoffs and if you listen to them talk, they feel like that series lose, lost them the cup.

The Oilers have clawed themselves back after a brutal start to 5 points behind Vegas with 5 games in hand and only 12 pts back with 4 games in hand on the Canucks. This is a division game with huge implications on the standings. Home ice at least in the first round is a legit chance for the Oilers and winning this game will help that.

The players can say they don't think about the streak all they want. BS!!! If you have won 4 or 5 in a row, sure, I can buy that. 16 in a row?! A change to tie the all time winning streak set 31 yrs ago. The legendary Oilers teams of the 80's never won this many games in a row. They win against Vegas, they tie the record with a chance to break it against one of the worst teams in the NHL the next game. McD and probably Leon will go to the hall of fame when their careers are over. So they will be recognized when the lights go off for them. For guys like McLeod, Nuge, Hyman, Foegele, Ryan, Nurse, Ekholm, Ceci, Desharnais, etc. All good players but they aren't going to the hall of fame ever. When they careers are over, that's it. Maybe some will be recognized but for some of them, they won't be after they are retired. This is their chance to go down in the history books and cement their legacy. If they don't break the streak, is someone who's not a hardcore Oilers fan going to look up Foegele's career and know he was an Oiler 15 yrs from now? Probably not. But if they break the streak and here is another team on a hot streak, people will look up this team and see who's on it.

So I think the Oilers will come out very fired up because they want to keep the streak going and set the all time mark. The Oilers generally play up for good teams and Vegas is a good team who took their cup last year and is ahead of them in the standings. For a guy like Kane who has supposedly been nursing a few things, plus others this break probably comes at the perfect time. More than a week to rest, get some recovery time for the big push.

[Updated on: Tue, 30 January 2024 11:44]

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829292 is a reply to message #829291 ]
Tue, 30 January 2024 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76 is currently online inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 30 January 2024 11:40

I would not want to play a lower team what so ever and I am not worried about the Oilers showing up, nor do I think any fan should be.

Vegas is off for the exact same time as the Oilers. So this will be their first game back as well. They will have the exact same amount of time off and practice time as the Oilers.

Vegas's building is one of the better buildings in the league for atmosphere. The building will be full, there will probably be a lot of Oilers fans in the stands so there should be energy in the building.

Vegas knocked off the Oilers in the playoffs and if you listen to them talk, they feel like that series lose, lost them the cup.

The Oilers have clawed themselves back after a brutal start to 5 points behind Vegas with 5 games in hand and only 12 pts back with 4 games in hand on the Canucks. This is a division game with huge implications on the standings. Home ice at least in the first round is a legit chance for the Oilers and winning this game will help that.

The players can say they don't think about the streak all they want. BS!!! If you have won 4 or 5 in a row, sure, I can buy that. 16 in a row?! A change to tie the all time winning streak set 31 yrs ago. The legendary Oilers teams of the 80's never won this many games in a row. They win against Vegas, they tie the record with a chance to break it against one of the worst teams in the NHL the next game. McD and probably Leon will go to the hall of fame when their careers are over. So they will be recognized when the lights go off for them. For guys like McLeod, Nuge, Hyman, Foegele, Ryan, Nurse, Ekholm, Ceci, Desharnais, etc. All good players but they aren't going to the hall of fame ever. When they careers are over, that's it. Maybe some will be recognized but for some of them, they won't be after they are retired. This is their chance to go down in the history books and cement their legacy. If they don't break the streak, is someone who's not a hardcore Oilers fan going to look up Foegele's career and know he was an Oiler 15 yrs from now? Probably not. But if they break the streak and here is another team on a hot streak, people will look up this team and see who's on it.

So I think the Oilers will come out very fired up because they want to keep the streak going and set the all time mark. The Oilers generally play up for good teams and Vegas is a good team who took their cup last year and is ahead of them in the standings. For a guy like Kane who has supposedly been nursing a few things, plus others this break probably comes at the perfect time. More than a week to rest, get some recovery time for the big push.

I could have hand selected the first game back to continue the streak I would have chose Vegas. The win streak is something the team will cherish for years to come, but that break realistically could take away some of their fire. The win streak will benefit from a rival game against a team that is unlikeable. I am expecting the Oilers to be recharged and ready for February 6th and I could see a disappointing loss to the the Kings after beating the record against the Ducks.

This team was looking hit and miss prior to the break and were getting some bounces. The return from the break can be used to get them back on track.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829293 is a reply to message #829292 ]
Tue, 30 January 2024 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 30 January 2024 12:33

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 30 January 2024 11:40

I could have hand selected the first game back to continue the streak I would have chose Vegas. The win streak is something the team will cherish for years to come, but that break realistically could take away some of their fire. The win streak will benefit from a rival game against a team that is unlikeable. I am expecting the Oilers to be recharged and ready for February 6th and I could see a disappointing loss to the the Kings after beating the record against the Ducks.

This team was looking hit and miss prior to the break and were getting some bounces. The return from the break can be used to get them back on track.

If their first game back was in San Jose, playing in an empty building where no one gives a damn, I'd be worried. It's probably very likely it will be Edmonton Vegas in the first round as I see those 2 for sure in the top 3 assuming the Canucks don't cool off. Though all the stats guys keep saying there is no way the Canucks can keep this going based on the numbers.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829305 is a reply to message #829292 ]
Wed, 31 January 2024 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Interesting hypothetical (but very possible scenario):

Skinner is the no-brainer to get the start vs Vegas. The Oilers then get two days off before back to backs with Anaheim and LA. In a normal situation you would almost certainly start Pickard against the weak Ducks and save Skinner for the stronger Kings. But IF the Oilers do beat Vegas, the Anaheim game will give them a chance to have the consecutive win streak record all to themselves. Given that, do the Oilers maybe give Skinner the Ducks game? It would be such a shame to lose a chance for the record after your back-up has a weak game.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829306 is a reply to message #829305 ]
Wed, 31 January 2024 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

benv wrote on Wed, 31 January 2024 09:48

Skinner is the no-brainer to get the start vs Vegas. The Oilers then get two days off before back to backs with Anaheim and LA. In a normal situation you would almost certainly start Pickard against the weak Ducks and save Skinner for the stronger Kings. But IF the Oilers do beat Vegas, the Anaheim game will give them a chance to have the consecutive win streak record all to themselves. Given that, do the Oilers maybe give Skinner the Ducks game? It would be such a shame to lose a chance for the record after your back-up has a weak game.

Fun question! As coach I would loudly claim that the streak doesn't matter and the team is taking everything one game at a time, then refuse to answer any further questions on the matter.

I'd start Skinner against Anaheim.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829314 is a reply to message #829306 ]
Wed, 31 January 2024 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76 is currently online inverno76

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 31 January 2024 09:52

benv wrote on Wed, 31 January 2024 09:48

Fun question! As coach I would loudly claim that the streak doesn't matter and the team is taking everything one game at a time, then refuse to answer any further questions on the matter.

I'd start Skinner against Anaheim.

Skinner get the Ducks if we beat Vegas right after the break, and Campbell starts against LA ... ugh, please let me be wrong.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829315 is a reply to message #829314 ]
Wed, 31 January 2024 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 31 January 2024 13:33

Campbell starts against LA

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c5/82/7a/c5827a8a4a7fa3c9a8e64618a8a18966.gif

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829346 is a reply to message #829315 ]
Thu, 01 February 2024 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Long break. Sheeesh

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #829367 is a reply to message #829346 ]
Fri, 02 February 2024 13:37 Go to previous message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Thu, 01 February 2024 18:11

Long break. Sheeesh

https://media1.tenor.com/m/Stc8BgwXDi4AAAAd/tumbleweed-crickets-chirping.gif

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Previous Topic:Corey Perry an Oiler
Next Topic:GDT: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #45)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca