This day on April 27
None

Happy Birthday To: chickenman23, handsmatter94, TashOiler88

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829102]
Tue, 23 January 2024 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
Congratulations to: Kr55, MJ and Suomalainen for predicting the score.

Edmonton to win:   82%
Columbus to win:   18%
17 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829103 is a reply to message #829102 ]
Tue, 23 January 2024 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Never in doubt. Haha.

Ugly win but I’ll take it! Hopefully they use this and the game in Chicago as motivation to just paste the Blackhawks Thursday.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829105 is a reply to message #829103 ]
Tue, 23 January 2024 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

I’m going to the game on Thursday

They better win

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829106 is a reply to message #829102 ]
Tue, 23 January 2024 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Big boys off. Nice work by the depth to make it up. Big boys can save their mojo for the Vegas game. Should be able to smack down the Hawks.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829107 is a reply to message #829106 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Once again, crazy that we've gone 22-3 over the last 25 and we are still just in 3rd place. Whatever - keep it rolling!

And my hopes for a 6th Art Ross for McDavid are fading pretty fast - friggin Kucherov and Mackinnon seem to be getting 4 points every night out lately. A full 20 points baclk now. Though we do have 5 games in hand on the Lightning, 20 is a pretty big gap.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829108 is a reply to message #829107 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Papa Gagner gets his name in the record books yet again! First player to be a part of two separate 14 game win streaks. Crazy to think that Columbus had a 16 game win streak a few years ago.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829113 is a reply to message #829108 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I was at the game and it was pretty hard to watch for the first 2. From top to bottom, not 1 Oilers player could make a pass to save their life. They couldn't make a pass, couldn't take a pass. The amount of times they would fire a pass towards a teammate that had zero chance of being completed was maddening. They would even throw passes to areas where there was no Oilers players standing there.

Multiple guys having the puck right in the slot and instead of ripping it, they would try a dangle or hold on to it for whatever reason and wait until the Jackets guy was in front to block it. I think Bouchard alone had easily 4 times where he could have shot the puck from the slot in a premium scoring spot but decided to dandle or waited. I can think of one where the Jackets guy fired it right up the middle from behind the goal, Bouchard picked off the pass easily. Had the puck on his stick on his forehand at the top of the circle and he WAITED. Then the Jackets guy got in front and the shot didn't even get through.

Skinner was unbelievable, was the only reason they won after the first 2 periods. Then in the 3rd the Oilers decided "Ok Skins, we will try now and turned it on and it wasn't close."

It was ugly, maybe one of the sloppiest 2 periods they have played in 2 months, maybe Skinners best game but they are continuing to find ways to win!!

One question. Where are the people giving hat tips to Dustin Schwartz?

Apparently it was his fault the Oilers goalies were bad, now that the Oilers goalies are good, shouldn't the people that called for his head be giving him props now? Skinner is putting up vezina numbers and has for months. Skinner is breaking Fuhr records. Pickard was lighting it up in the minors and has come up and given the Oilers decent back up goaltending. Rodrigue is lighting it up in the minors. Even Campbell has potentially started to turn it around. The main goalie coach would have a hand in every one of those guys, especially at the NHL level. So..?

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829115 is a reply to message #829113 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 08:04

Apparently it was his fault the Oilers goalies were bad, now that the Oilers goalies are good, shouldn't the people that called for his head be giving him props now? Skinner is putting up vezina numbers and has for months. Skinner is breaking Fuhr records. Pickard was lighting it up in the minors and has come up and given the Oilers decent back up goaltending. Rodrigue is lighting it up in the minors. Even Campbell has potentially started to turn it around. The main goalie coach would have a hand in every one of those guys, especially at the NHL level. So..?

Because people can see beyond 30 games.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829116 is a reply to message #829115 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 09:15

Truth. This stretch of games is just a blip at the moment. When trust has been broken for many years it does not turn on a dime. It is not like people just flipped on Schwartz overnight. He has earned this reputation and the Oilers group has allowed it to continue.

Maybe the bet is paying off, but we need to see a few seasons of quality goaltending in this organization before my mind is changed. Schwartz will get the chance as he is made of Teflon. He is not going anywhere.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829118 is a reply to message #829116 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 09:29

Truth. This stretch of games is just a blip at the moment. When trust has been broken for many years it does not turn on a dime. It is not like people just flipped on Schwartz overnight. He has earned this reputation and the Oilers group has allowed it to continue.

Maybe the bet is paying off, but we need to see a few seasons of quality goaltending in this organization before my mind is changed. Schwartz will get the chance as he is made of Teflon. He is not going anywhere.

Ha ha ha ha ha...

The team's winning so we should just all find a sandbox and dip our head in there! Schwartz turns out to be really good! Holland was just misunderstood and not a dinosaur with a blind spot for goaltending and cap management! I mean, maybe we should be talking more about how Kevin Lowe really laid the ground work for this streak?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829120 is a reply to message #829115 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

So then if it's just 30 games. How do you explain last season? Oilers drafted and developed goalie comes in, takes over the starters job, goes to the all star game and gets nominated for rookie of the year. Skinner has a rough first month, then has been lights out since putting up numbers. If he continues, he will probably get vezina votes as he's been take good. So how do you explain the body of Skinners work if Schwartz is a horrible coach and had no positive impact. Or Pickards play that has bee outstanding in the minors and pretty decent in the NHL or Rodrigues work that' has been very good since turning pro and keeps getting better. The goalie coach for the NHL team would have input and work with all of them. So fluke?

I just find it pretty hypocritical that fans are ready to jump on someone when things go bad but it's crickets when things are good and they aren't able to admit that maybe their uninformed opinion was wrong. I say uninformed because none of us work for the team, none of us played at a high enough level to be NHLers, none of us work as coaches, none of us are there hearing/seeing what they are being told and most of us probably never even played the position to even have a chance of knowing what they are talking about. Yet many think they are experts.

I am of the opinion that if a fan is going to rip on a player, coach or manager which they are entitled to do when things are going bad, they should be man enough to give them credit when things are going good.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 January 2024 09:54]

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829125 is a reply to message #829120 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

If you are gonna talk about Skinner being pretty good last season, then you also have to talk about Campbell being pretty bad.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829127 is a reply to message #829125 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve is currently online Steve

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 09:40

If you are gonna talk about Skinner being pretty good last season, then you also have to talk about Campbell being pretty bad.

Having Campbell off the team is probably good for Skinner's confidence and mental toughness. The same can probably be said for the entire team.

I always had high hopes for Campbell going back to the World Juniors. I'm a fan of his athleticism. But mentally he's a trainwreck, and that can infiltrate the rest of the team.

I don't put much stock in the goalie coach. Their input is far less valuable than any other coach on the team. I don't blame him for Campbell, and I don't give him credit for Skinner. The blame/credit should go to the players.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829141 is a reply to message #829127 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Steve wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 09:48

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 09:40

Having Campbell off the team is probably good for Skinner's confidence and mental toughness. The same can probably be said for the entire team.

I always had high hopes for Campbell going back to the World Juniors. I'm a fan of his athleticism. But mentally he's a trainwreck, and that can infiltrate the rest of the team.

I don't put much stock in the goalie coach. Their input is far less valuable than any other coach on the team. I don't blame him for Campbell, and I don't give him credit for Skinner. The blame/credit should go to the players.

I honestly wonder about the impact of a goalie coach too. But they all have their favourite guys.

What I would say is that if Schwartz has a heavy say in who to bring in, then he’s done poorly there too.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829130 is a reply to message #829120 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 09:51

So then if it's just 30 games. How do you explain last season? Oilers drafted and developed goalie comes in, takes over the starters job, goes to the all star game and gets nominated for rookie of the year. Skinner has a rough first month, then has been lights out since putting up numbers. If he continues, he will probably get vezina votes as he's been take good. So how do you explain the body of Skinners work if Schwartz is a horrible coach and had no positive impact. Or Pickards play that has bee outstanding in the minors and pretty decent in the NHL or Rodrigues work that' has been very good since turning pro and keeps getting better. The goalie coach for the NHL team would have input and work with all of them. So fluke?

I just find it pretty hypocritical that fans are ready to jump on someone when things go bad but it's crickets when things are good and they aren't able to admit that maybe their uninformed opinion was wrong. I say uninformed because none of us work for the team, none of us played at a high enough level to be NHLers, none of us work as coaches, none of us are there hearing/seeing what they are being told and most of us probably never even played the position to even have a chance of knowing what they are talking about. Yet many think they are experts.

I am of the opinion that if a fan is going to rip on a player, coach or manager which they are entitled to do when things are going bad, they should be man enough to give them credit when things are going good.

Rodrigue’s goalie coach is his father and Campbell brought in his own (Manny Legace). Schwartz’s and other NHL goalie coaches influence from what I’ve understood is non-existent in the minors.

If you were to look at Schwartz’s entire time with the Oilers from an outsiders perspective then one would likely surmise that Skinner is an anomaly or has somehow survived Schwartz.

Schwartz’s portfolio is not good.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829114 is a reply to message #829108 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 08:10

Papa Gagner gets his name in the record books yet again! First player to be a part of two separate 14 game win streaks. Crazy to think that Columbus had a 16 game win streak a few years ago.

Papa Oiler should be upset he got short changed on an assist for the Jackets goal. Gagner was the reason that goal happened. He must have forgot he wasn't a Jacket for 30 seconds because that was a brutal play.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829117 is a reply to message #829102 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

The team had it's D game for two periods and Skinner bailed them out. Puck would not sit. Plays were forced. Feet were not moving. Even with all of that they never panicked and stayed with the system that has gotten them back on track.

It is weird to say on a 14 game win streak and a 22-3 run, but this team is turning a corner in regards to maturity. Like I was saying in the Schwartz reply that I cannot commit to saying this team has changed for good because of the long history of reverted back to pond hockey rules, but if they can maintain a .600 - .700 pace and run deep into the playoffs with this style I will be more convinced that we are truly an elite team that should be a Cup threat for the foreseeable future.

Best way to keep 29 and 97 together forever is to become a juggernaut.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829124 is a reply to message #829102 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpcos  is currently offline cpcos

No Cups

I am truly wondering what goes through Woody’s mind now….

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829126 is a reply to message #829124 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

cpcos wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 10:22

I don't think the Oilers are doing what they are doing with Woody and Manson as the coaches. They were good coaches but the same players are night and day better defensively and on the PK. So clearly whatever Woody and Manson were doing/saying didn't work or wasn't being listened too or the players didn't believe in. Because it's a pretty dramatic difference. Yes Skinner is playing well, last night was an example but in most games, the Oilers don't give up much anymore and their PK has been excellent since the coaching change.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829131 is a reply to message #829124 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Woodcroft and Manson were the coaches needed at the time they were here and probably made the transition for the new staff much easier. The groundwork was there and now they are building on things.

Woodcroft will have success in the NHL hopefully soon.

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829134 is a reply to message #829131 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 11:47

Woodcroft and Manson were the coaches needed at the time they were here and probably made the transition for the new staff much easier. The groundwork was there and now they are building on things.

Woodcroft will have success in the NHL hopefully soon.

Lessons to learn for both. Woody got the benefit of some of the best hockey McDavid and Drai may ever end up playing in their careers. However, gaping holes in our game plan gradually got more and more exposed as time went on, and, kinda like his mentor Todd, he completely failed to ever adjust. Arguably he over adjusted and turned our team into a confused mess to start this season. He also fell into the exact same comfort zone that McLellan and Tippett did, depend completely on McDrai to do everything, and all the rest of the team just becomes an afterthought, just existing to give McDrai time to catch their breath. Or hey, maybe it was all Campbell's fault :) We will never really know.

If I will ever learn a lesson about overhyping a coach, then I should withhold judgement of the Knob. Let's see if this all can keep up. Like seeing how almost every player is engaged, getting opportunity to contribute and actually contributing. I think for the first time in many years we have actually learned to collapse to our net at the right time to give our goalie proper help in scrambles. Is it a matter of effort? Woody got crazy efforts from this team after Tippett was fired. That eroded but success still came thanks to insane seasons from McDrai and a godly powerplay. Gotta see if this lasts with Knob, and see how he handles playoffs.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829145 is a reply to message #829124 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

"....my powerplay was better."

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829148 is a reply to message #829145 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

JPro wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 12:38

Lol ... Did the PP not belong to Gully?

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829152 is a reply to message #829148 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 13:04

JPro wrote on Wed, 24 January 2024 12:38

Lol ... Did the PP not belong to Gully?

Our expected goals/60 is actually better on the PP this year than last. The dif is McDavid and Drai simply could not miss last season. Nuge too. Drai has probably missed a dozen open nets from his favorite spot this year vs what he would have hit last season. It happens, best PP in NHL history is a tough act to follow.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 January 2024 13:55]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829154 is a reply to message #829152 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oilers were dead last in mid November. Their PK was brutal, their goals against were brutal. Flash forward a couple of months. They have an 8 and now 14 game winning streak. They are 10th overall in the NHL, 9th on the PK, 7th in goals against. 11th in goals for.

WOW!

Re: Review: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43) [message #829161 is a reply to message #829145 ]
Wed, 24 January 2024 19:32 Go to previous message
cpcos  is currently offline cpcos

No Cups

Right on the spot!

Previous Topic:Pregame: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #44)
Next Topic:GDT: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #43)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca