This day on April 29
None

Happy Birthday To: eightythree, yanner39, Smid4Life, Oil Spill, Ginjanna, Sopranosbaby, epower, Brewer84, rufeo01, OilCup2017

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826214]
Tue, 24 October 2023 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 53%
Minnesota to win: 47%
15 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826216 is a reply to message #826214 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Out scored 9-1 in the third period this year. What a joke

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826218 is a reply to message #826216 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Campbell gave the team a chance to win, and our D fumbled it right into our net.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826227 is a reply to message #826218 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Bouchard looks like he partied and drank himself stupid over the summer. He's sooooo bad on D. It's comical.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826222 is a reply to message #826214 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

$25,000,000 for Ken Holland to make this team

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826224 is a reply to message #826214 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

How about Bouchard only gets PP minutes from now on?

This game result was entirely on him.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826229 is a reply to message #826224 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 21:42

How about Bouchard only gets PP minutes from now on?

This game result was entirely on him.

I don't think it's just Bouchard. Everyone missing their guy in front of the net. Ekholm the primary error on one goal. Ceci on another. The defence wasn't great from top to bottom.

While Campbell made a couple of big saves, he didn't make enough saves. Finishes below .850 again.

And once again, the depth creates nothing. 4 goals for the PP and the top two lines, and exactly nothing from the bottom two lines. Holloway and Brown had 2 shots, McLeod one, and not a single shot for Erne or Ryan. that's about 23 minutes of the night where the Oilers just are complete non-factors.

Second line got eaten alive too, even with Foegele's two goals.

Just an ugly game - something that we've seen way too much of this year. Three awful losses in the first 6 games...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826225 is a reply to message #826214 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

No Cups

It’s time for management and coaching to own up to their mistakes here and just correct everything they can. I don’t want to hear the phrases dollar in dollar out or the answer is in the room. They can’t afford to lose this season.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826234 is a reply to message #826225 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oiltec  is currently offline oiltec

No Cups

Where do you start, the Woodman, the defense, the bottom six? There are no easy answers, but one thing is sure this team is definitely heading in the wrong direction.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826236 is a reply to message #826234 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

No Cups

oiltec wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 20:58

Where do you start, the Woodman, the defense, the bottom six? There are no easy answers, but one thing is sure this team is definitely heading in the wrong direction.

There are some easy answers.

Janmark and Kane are getting big lineup boosts pretty undeservedly. There are probably better players than Erne out there if we looked for it and demoted him. Maybe even internally.

On defense, I’d be taking a serious look if this system change is the cause of so many high danger chances.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826237 is a reply to message #826236 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 22:08

Janmark and Kane are getting big lineup boosts pretty undeservedly. There are probably better players than Erne out there if we looked for it and demoted him. Maybe even internally.

On defense, I’d be taking a serious look if this system change is the cause of so many high danger chances.

Woody said last game the system has been solid. Just individual errors causing goals. Just an endless barrage of individual errors where the guys are all constantly straying from the perfect system, I guess? Getting Eakins vibes

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826243 is a reply to message #826237 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 22:11

Woody said last game the system has been solid. Just individual errors causing goals. Just an endless barrage of individual errors where the guys are all constantly straying from the perfect system, I guess? Getting Eakins vibes

I was gonna say, could the swarm be worse? Man defense was maybe good for 2 or 3 open looks a game, but I find myself yearning for that stalwart system. I dont think the guys look like they know what they're supposed to be doing out there, which is kinda dangerous if it's 'cup or bust'.

Also interesting was 3 too many men penalties, I dont think any were cheap.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826244 is a reply to message #826243 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 22:21

I was gonna say, could the swarm be worse? Man defense was maybe good for 2 or 3 open looks a game, but I find myself yearning for that stalwart system. I dont think the guys look like they know what they're supposed to be doing out there, which is kinda dangerous if it's 'cup or bust'.

Too many men, and some horrible line changes just in general as a bonus, one helping that goal where Ceci went into man on man mode and glued himself to a guy on the boards while Nurse was left with a 2 on 1.

Starting to wonder if this team even practices together. Or do they just listen to Woody rattling off motivational phrases?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826245 is a reply to message #826243 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Is this team a coach killer or are bad coaches killing this team?

Starting to think the later.

It’s like this team needs a short shelf life ass kicker to get them over the top.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826247 is a reply to message #826245 ]
Wed, 25 October 2023 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 22:56

Is this team a coach killer or are bad coaches killing this team?

Starting to think the later.

It’s like this team needs a short shelf life ass kicker to get them over the top.

Has to be a bit of both, and it really roots back to management and ownership.

This team is run like it's run by a fan. None of us knows what's happening behind the scenes, none of us really knows who made what happen off the ice. We only view results, hear cliches in interviews, discuss amongst ourselves ideas of what went right and wrong. There are people paid millions to make the right decisions to ensure this team is constantly improving and putting the best possible people in every position. What do they actually do though? They fall in love with the results in short timeframes and throw money at whoever looked pretty good while it was happening.

We all thought woodcroft and Manson implemented some new defensive scheme when they took over. Our analytics defensively popped up. Wow, we got coaches that could fix a huge issue this team has had for years. All downhill from there, to a new low honestly. I've never seen a teams defensive system be so obviously exploited like what Vegas did to us. Not a supposed "contender" at least. That was absolutely embarrassing, and we've somehow made it worse to start this year, only we're just kicking ourselves directly in the junk, no effort required by the opposition coaches/players. Did Woody/Manson actually do something amazing in 21/22? Or was it just a matter of effort by the players after Tippett was fired? Pay one of us $5M a year and give us access to the room every day and maybe we could figure it out.

That falling in love with short term results has landed us with lots of bad contracts too of course. Being mad about short term failures also leads to bad decisions too. Both of those fan-like mood swinging approaches are how we roll around here to build a team. Gut feel still rules.

There is really so much wrong with this team, it's hard to go through it all. Starts with Katz, trusting the OBC and Hockey Canada crew to know how to build a team. That's not over either, he hired Coffey to be his right hand man now, so it would not at all unexpected to see many years of bad decisions still to come. We know without a doubt now that Lowe, Tambo, MacT, Messier, Gretzky, Chia, Bobby and Holland were all miserable failures.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 October 2023 00:10]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826248 is a reply to message #826247 ]
Wed, 25 October 2023 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 23:07

Has to be a bit of both, and it really roots back to management and ownership.

This team is run like it's run by a fan. None of us knows what's happening behind the scenes, none of us really knows who made what happen off the ice. We only view results, hear cliches in interviews, discuss amongst ourselves ideas of what went right and wrong. There are people paid millions to make the right decisions to ensure this team is constantly improving and putting the best possible people in every position. What do they actually do though? They fall in love with the results in short timeframes and throw money at whoever looked pretty good while it was happening.

We all thought woodcroft and Manson implemented some new defensive scheme when they took over. Our analytics defensively popped up. Wow, we got coaches that could fix a huge issue this team has had for years. All downhill from there, to a new low honestly. I've never seen a teams defensive system be so obviously exploited like what Vegas did to us. Not a supposed "contender" at least. That was absolutely embarrassing, and we've somehow made it worse to start this year, only we're just kicking ourselves directly in the junk, no effort required by the opposition coaches/players. Did Woody/Manson actually do something amazing in 21/22? Or was it just a matter of effort by the players after Tippett was fired? Pay one of us $5M a year and give us access to the room every day and maybe we could figure it out.

That falling in love with short term results has landed us with lots of bad contracts too of course. Being mad about short term failures also leads to bad decisions too. Both of those fan-like mood swinging approaches are how we roll around here to build a team. Gut feel still rules.

There is really so much wrong with this team, it's hard to go through it all. Starts with Katz, trusting the OBC and Hockey Canada crew to know how to build a team. That's not over either, he hired Coffey to be his right hand man now, so it would not at all unexpected to see many years of bad decisions still to come. We know without a doubt now that Lowe, Tambo, MacT, Messier, Gretzky, Chia, Bobby and Holland were all miserable failures.

Failure got us McDavid, but failure also means we can't do anything to take advantage of him.

I was all on the Woody train, he rallied this team and got it going. But there needs to be a serious conversation about moving on. Our defence is atrocious, and when you have as many young guys as us you need SOME improvement.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826249 is a reply to message #826248 ]
Wed, 25 October 2023 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

On the bright side of things, we’re still ahead of the Sharks in the standings. Lol. Stupid Sharks.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826250 is a reply to message #826249 ]
Wed, 25 October 2023 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

The good news is there is plenty of time to build a redemption arc.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826226 is a reply to message #826214 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I don't think we have any fully functional D anymore. We are even breaking Ekholm's game. Manson might be in the Schwartz club.

I honestly feel like this team has not played well defensively since the 1/2 season after Tippett was fired. We gave woodcroft and Manson credit for that, but it may have just been more the players playing what Tippett was pushing and actually putting a proper effort after the shame of getting Tippett fired. The way they played that half year has never returned and it's getting worse.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826228 is a reply to message #826226 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 21:44

I don't think we have any fully functional D anymore. We are even breaking Ekholm's game. Manson might be in the Schwartz club.

I honestly feel like this team has not played well defensively since the 1/2 season after Tippett was fired. We gave woodcroft and Manson credit for that, but it may have just been more the players playing what Tippett was pushing and actually putting a proper effort after the shame of getting Tippett fired. The way they played that half year has never returned and it's getting worse.

Time to give Darryl a call?

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826231 is a reply to message #826214 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Bouchard another solid defensive effort.. on for 5 of the 7 goals against

Mcleod goes for another public skate.. so much speed.. so ineffective.. zero threat to score..

Campbell kept it from being 12 - 4.. still gets the loss..

Defence is worse than last year..

The only positive is that McDavid doesn't have the stink of this team anywhere near him..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826239 is a reply to message #826231 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

McLeod is Mr. Public Skate. Dude does nothing.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826241 is a reply to message #826239 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 22:14

McLeod is Mr. Public Skate. Dude does nothing.

Totally agree.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826232 is a reply to message #826214 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Countdown for Connor Brown's ghost to use up all our extra cap space in 24/25: 4 more games

Note: assumes cap increase next year is approximately 3.225M

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826233 is a reply to message #826232 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 21:56

Countdown for Connor Brown's ghost to use up all our extra cap space in 24/25: 4 more games

Is he even playing? I haven't heard his name mentioned all season.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826235 is a reply to message #826233 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 21:57

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 21:56

Is he even playing? I haven't heard his name mentioned all season.

Fortunate for him, he only needs to be alive on the bench for it to count towards his 10 games.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826238 is a reply to message #826235 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Woodcroft sounds broken in the post-game interview. He sounds like a guy that sees the end of the road approaching, quickly.

This team is in a freefall.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826240 is a reply to message #826214 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Ekholm is slowly but surely becoming an Oiler.

It was fun.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826242 is a reply to message #826240 ]
Tue, 24 October 2023 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 24 October 2023 22:15

Ekholm is slowly but surely becoming an Oiler.

It was fun.

So all we have to do is turn over the whole roster mid-season. Players don't go full Oiler until half a season here.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826246 is a reply to message #826242 ]
Wed, 25 October 2023 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

Is Boudreau still unemployed? What about Torts? How about a traffic cone?

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826251 is a reply to message #826246 ]
Wed, 25 October 2023 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I know what's coming but I will say it anyway. Bouchard right now is a train wreck on defense. He was on for I believe 4 goals, it might have even been 5 goals against. I'd say for sure he was the primary culprit. Right now, he's a PP specialist who you have to shelter big time 5 on 5.

I don't know what they do. I thought after his final 20 last year and playoffs, the switch finally turned on defensively. He was never going to be an amazing defender but I thought he figured out how to be adequate. People complained about Barrie's defense, Bouchard is way worse.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826256 is a reply to message #826251 ]
Wed, 25 October 2023 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 25 October 2023 08:22

I know what's coming but I will say it anyway. Bouchard right now is a train wreck on defense. He was on for I believe 4 goals, it might have even been 5 goals against. I'd say for sure he was the primary culprit. Right now, he's a PP specialist who you have to shelter big time 5 on 5.

I don't know what they do. I thought after his final 20 last year and playoffs, the switch finally turned on defensively. He was never going to be an amazing defender but I thought he figured out how to be adequate. People complained about Barrie's defense, Bouchard is way worse.

I agree about Barrie. Not nearly as scary as Bouchard back there.

I was a bit unsure about the Ekholm trade when it happened. As most would have noticed here, I was huge on Barrie's play and contract last season. I also liked what I witnessed of Reid Schaefer in the 2022 WHL post season and was pretty pleased when the Oilers selected him. But I knew the blueline needed a defensive minded upgrade and really needed to keep an open mind. Then I see the calming influence Ekholm had on our blueline, and my skepticism vanished quite rapidly.

Really hoping Ekholm bounces back to himself after this injury. Hoping he is not infected with Oileritis already.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6) [message #826257 is a reply to message #826256 ]
Wed, 25 October 2023 15:10 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 25 October 2023 12:15

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 25 October 2023 08:22

I agree about Barrie. Not nearly as scary as Bouchard back there.

I was a bit unsure about the Ekholm trade when it happened. As most would have noticed here, I was huge on Barrie's play and contract last season. I also liked what I witnessed of Reid Schaefer in the 2022 WHL post season and was pretty pleased when the Oilers selected him. But I knew the blueline needed a defensive minded upgrade and really needed to keep an open mind. Then I see the calming influence Ekholm had on our blueline, and my skepticism vanished quite rapidly.

Really hoping Ekholm bounces back to himself after this injury. Hoping he is not infected with Oileritis already.

My concern with Bouchard is the issues that are plaguing him the most aren't things that can be coached out of him or will improve with more experience.

A young dman will make mistakes. So when he makes a bad read or a bad pinch, that should improve with more experience. Bad positioning or stick position you can fix by watching film or coaching. Not competing for pucks is a choice he's making. When he's first into the corner to retrieve a puck, he gets control and then the other player comes in after and comes out with the puck, that's a 1 on 1 where the other guy just out battled him. That's a guy making a choice he was goign to out battle Bouchard. When a Rossi who's 6 inches shorter and 10-15 lbs lighter can skate to the front of the goal and stand there without Bouchard putting a finger on him, and Rossi can do about as easy of a tip as it gets, that's a choice by Bouchard not to do anything to tie up the man.

I don't care what system you are running, there isn't a system being taught who says to it's players, don't you dare tie up a man. You let them stand there and do whatever they want. Bouchard is making a choice not to engage the guy and I don't know if you can coach that out of the guy. I highly doubt the coaches he's had all the way up through minor hockey to now, haven't told him over and over again You have to tie up the man in front. My 10 yr old who's in U11 and plays defense, they coach him to tie up guys in front and not let the other team just stand there. I tell him the same thing and my 10 yr old every single game is tying up sticks, pushing kids and battling the other kid in front of the net every shift. So if my 10 yr old can do it without giving it a second thought, surely to god a professional hockey player can do it. His lack of battle level isn't a one off game thing, it's every game so that says he's choosing not to do it. That's a big problem and I don't know how they fix it.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Rangers @ Edmonton (Game #7)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #6)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca