This day on May 5
Acquired: John Blum (1981)

Happy Birthday To: BitterEnd, limecorrado, Bluefire, oilstained, Oilstained4Life, 35 for HOF

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818880]
Wed, 01 March 2023 20:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Toronto to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818882 is a reply to message #818880 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

I cannot wait until work tomorrow morning.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818883 is a reply to message #818880 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oh to be a Leafs fan. I just always can't help but wonder, "why?". No answer could ever make sense to me

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818884 is a reply to message #818880 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Great game. Team played well as a whole. Ekholm looked good.

I remember in the Canadian Covid division we got spanked 3 times in a row against the Leafs. I believe that was a key reason why Holland did not go for it at that deadline, as they didn’t think they would get past the Leafs in the playoffs.

Well now they spanked a top Leafs team and are 2 points out of the first in the West. I hope this is reason enough to keep adding!

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818885 is a reply to message #818884 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

That was awesome

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818886 is a reply to message #818885 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

One game into the Ekholm era and I absolutely love it. Huge physical presence, is consistently in the right place, and smart quick movement of the puck.

I’ve been begging for a guy like this for months/years, and old man Holland delivers. It’s like Christmas. And against the Leafs no less.

This finally, finally after so long a well balanced NHL roster. Between Ekholm, and others like Broberg, Kostin, Nuge, etc all finding a groove.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 March 2023 21:10]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818891 is a reply to message #818884 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 20:47

Great game. Team played well as a whole. Ekholm looked good.

I remember in the Canadian Covid division we got spanked 3 times in a row against the Leafs. I believe that was a key reason why Holland did not go for it at that deadline, as they didn’t think they would get past the Leafs in the playoffs.

Well now they spanked a top Leafs team and are 2 points out of the first in the West. I hope this is reason enough to keep adding!

I guess my concern in terms of adding is Yamo getting his bell rung as a potential piece going out. Any news there? He's just so little that his head is shoulder high on the other guy when he's met like that, every time.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818892 is a reply to message #818891 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

No news yet, speculation was he was pulled for concussion protocol.

If he is concussed again, put him on LTIR until playoffs and using the cap room would be advantageous.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818899 is a reply to message #818892 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 21:34

If he is concussed again, put him on LTIR until playoffs and using the cap room would be advantageous.

Hell, put him on LTIR just "be to safe"... go full Tampa, if there's still any possibility of improving the team left this week.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818900 is a reply to message #818899 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 00:05

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 21:34

Hell, put him on LTIR just "be to safe"... go full Tampa, if there's still any possibility of improving the team left this week.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/Q66ZEIpjEQddUOOKGW/200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47ch9j44o6bazq6girpa16e5jpuk7yy2bk17wdy8ty&rid=200w.webp&ct=g

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818890 is a reply to message #818880 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I picked the Leafs to win, but easily among the most satisfying wins of the year. Brought one home.

McDavid making things clear in terms of wanting this one. Everyone kept up play thoughout.
Just one really weak play on the non offside, that's pretty much it. Shoulda been 7-1.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 March 2023 17:01]

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818893 is a reply to message #818880 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

[Updated on: Wed, 01 March 2023 23:37]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818894 is a reply to message #818893 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Ekholm.. man what a difference.. every time he got the puck my apprehension level was reading zero..
great physical presence, cycle buster, smart plays, not bad for just jumping off a plane. Wait until he's fully integrated .. or .. more to the point.. the other defencemen are able to integrate with him.. good times! Makes such a difference when you have a tall defenceman.. the extra reach is such an advantage for greasing out guys along the boards, and getting to loose pucks first.. certified 1st pair NHL D-man.. worth the trade pieces.

I also remember he's got a bomb of a shot.. and think his offence potential is way under the radar.. Its probably because the offensive D-man in Nashville has always been Josi.. with Ekholm being relied on to drive the shutdown pairing..
I think his numbers going forward may surprise .. lots of potential points floating around with McDavid and LD flying all over the place scoring goals..

Only one game I know.. but the defence was noticeably better vs. one of the best teams in the East.

Dave-Brown Hopkins.. Wow.. I saw RNH going over to Holl after the Yamo head shot and I was thinking he was just going over to give him a good scolding.. then they dropped the mitts.. then I thought "Nuge what are you doing bud.. you're going to get killed!".. then Nuge turns into the Burnaby Hulk and rag dolls Holl.. never saw that coming at all!

That hit by Holl got Yamo in the head, he might've aimed for the shoulder.. but he got Yamo flush to the head.. amazing Yamo got up.. should be a review by NHL PS.

Kostin had a great game.. in fact that whole line was buzzing..
That play where he drove wide to the net with the puck and sent flying into the air across the crease.. at first I thought it was the goalie's stick then on replay I saw it was Giordano's leg coming across, dangerous play, should have been a call for tripping.. guy is just plain garbage.

Oh.. and Foegle's goal should have counted.. ref with the nano-second whistle.. 6-2 Oilers.

LD.. he had more speed and quickness than I've seen from him for quite a while.. great game.. and very few turnovers! Excellent.

McDavid.. on fire.. management needs to go all in when he's cruising at this level.. he's from outer space man..👽

Great Team Win.

.. Next up!!

[Updated on: Wed, 01 March 2023 23:39]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818957 is a reply to message #818894 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 23:36

Ekholm.. man what a difference.. every time he got the puck my apprehension level was reading zero..
great physical presence, cycle buster, smart plays, not bad for just jumping off a plane. Wait until he's fully integrated .. or .. more to the point.. the other defencemen are able to integrate with him.. good times! Makes such a difference when you have a tall defenceman.. the extra reach is such an advantage for greasing out guys along the boards, and getting to loose pucks first.. certified 1st pair NHL D-man.. worth the trade pieces.

I also remember he's got a bomb of a shot.. and think his offence potential is way under the radar.. Its probably because the offensive D-man in Nashville has always been Josi.. with Ekholm being relied on to drive the shutdown pairing..
I think his numbers going forward may surprise .. lots of potential points floating around with McDavid and LD flying all over the place scoring goals..

Only one game I know.. but the defence was noticeably better vs. one of the best teams in the East.

Dave-Brown Hopkins.. Wow.. I saw RNH going over to Holl after the Yamo head shot and I was thinking he was just going over to give him a good scolding.. then they dropped the mitts.. then I thought "Nuge what are you doing bud.. you're going to get killed!".. then Nuge turns into the Burnaby Hulk and rag dolls Holl.. never saw that coming at all!

That hit by Holl got Yamo in the head, he might've aimed for the shoulder.. but he got Yamo flush to the head.. amazing Yamo got up.. should be a review by NHL PS.

Kostin had a great game.. in fact that whole line was buzzing..
That play where he drove wide to the net with the puck and sent flying into the air across the crease.. at first I thought it was the goalie's stick then on replay I saw it was Giordano's leg coming across, dangerous play, should have been a call for tripping.. guy is just plain garbage.

Oh.. and Foegle's goal should have counted.. ref with the nano-second whistle.. 6-2 Oilers.

LD.. he had more speed and quickness than I've seen from him for quite a while.. great game.. and very few turnovers! Excellent.

McDavid.. on fire.. management needs to go all in when he's cruising at this level.. he's from outer space man..👽

Great Team Win.

.. Next up!!

Yeah I've been lightly whipping LD for much of the year and that might have been the most complete effort from him of the season.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818895 is a reply to message #818893 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

.. eof

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818902 is a reply to message #818895 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Leafs will get rolled first round again by Tampa.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818903 is a reply to message #818902 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I have to think long and hard if I prefer seeing the Oilers beat the Flames or the Leafs. It's really a toss up.

I think the whole team played very well.

It's only 1 game but I thought Ekholm was excellent and came as advertised. Looks to be exactly what they Oilers need.

I might be in the minority here but I didn't think the Yamo hit was dirty. Holl is 6'3, Yamo supposedly 5'8 which I question. So that's a 7 inches difference right there. Right before the hit Yamo hunched over a bit so he decreased the hitting area even more. I am not sure where Holl can safely hit Yamo unless Holl leans down. That hit proves to me the Oilers need to move on from Yamo. He doesn't have elite skill so instead he has to get closer to the goal and that's where the damage happens. At his size, I don't think he can physically do it and stay healthy.

Overall good win!

Big, big props to Nuge. Holy crap! He was throwing BOMBS!! Feeding Holl uppercuts.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 March 2023 08:38]

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818919 is a reply to message #818903 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 07:09

I might be in the minority here but I didn't think the Yamo hit was dirty. Holl is 6'3, Yamo supposedly 5'8 which I question. So that's a 7 inches difference right there. Right before the hit Yamo hunched over a bit so he decreased the hitting area even more. I am not sure where Holl can safely hit Yamo unless Holl leans down. That hit proves to me the Oilers need to move on from Yamo. He doesn't have elite skill so instead he has to get closer to the goal and that's where the damage happens. At his size, I don't think he can physically do it and stay healthy.

Looked clean to me as well. Yamo has such a small frame for a NHLer, even against guys like Marty St Louis who were able to put some weight on their shorter frame. He definitely has a role if he can stay healthy... but man I don't know how he can do and sustain that. Especially given his dog on a bone attitude going into corners going for pucks.

He's like a Paul Kariya light, and we all know how that went. : /

[Updated on: Thu, 02 March 2023 11:37]

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818958 is a reply to message #818903 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I thought the league was trying to eliminate guys getting caved in n the blind side meetings behind the net. Guys used to nearly get ended on that play, and to my knowledge they tried to eliminate it in the 90s or aughts. Its charging, the net and the goalie obstruct the guy with the puck. I think that was the egregious infraction rather than Holl's shoulder being the same height as Yamo's face. To Nuge it probably looked like a high hit to a guy that's had injuries in that area. Perfect response, hope every teammate took note.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818960 is a reply to message #818958 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 17:16

I thought the league was trying to eliminate guys getting caved in n the blind side meetings behind the net. Guys used to nearly get ended on that play, and to my knowledge they tried to eliminate it in the 90s or aughts. Its charging, the net and the goalie obstruct the guy with the puck. I think that was the egregious infraction rather than Holl's shoulder being the same height as Yamo's face. To Nuge it probably looked like a high hit to a guy that's had injuries in that area. Perfect response, hope every teammate took note.

Was a predatory blindside hit. Think there should be something extra with the injury occurring. He probably turtles too if it's anyone but Nuge that challenges him. So glad Nuge dropped him.

lol, his fight history:

https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/14849

Caved or just falls down every time. Usually after trying to throw a cheap hit, like the one on Yamo, right before.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 March 2023 17:29]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818973 is a reply to message #818960 ]
Fri, 03 March 2023 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I think predatory is a bit of a stretch. Was it blind-side? Yes it was.

But he basically just bumped him. Had it been Hyman or basically most Oilers, I doubt he even would have fell. The second angle illustrates how minor the contact really was.

Still deserved an ass-whopping for the 97 hit. And that was settled quite nicely.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818989 is a reply to message #818973 ]
Fri, 03 March 2023 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 03 March 2023 06:35

But he basically just bumped him. Had it been Hyman or basically most Oilers, I doubt he even would have fell. The second angle illustrates how minor the contact really was.

Still deserved an ass-whopping for the 97 hit. And that was settled quite nicely.

I've watched this Holl guy enough to know how excited he gets to try to catch a guy with a cheap hit. Look at how quickly he darts at Yams when he notices he can catch him on the blindside. Zero interest in the puck, he's all in for a blindside hit. To me that cheap and predatory, and he ends up likely concussing the kid.

Just looking at Holl's fight history of getting caved and trying to fall to bail out of fights, you can see how some develop by him darting into cheap hits with guys not looking. Scummy cowardly player.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #819000 is a reply to message #818989 ]
Fri, 03 March 2023 18:49 Go to previous message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 03 March 2023 12:11

I've watched this Holl guy enough to know how excited he gets to try to catch a guy with a cheap hit. Look at how quickly he darts at Yams when he notices he can catch him on the blindside. Zero interest in the puck, he's all in for a blindside hit. To me that cheap and predatory, and he ends up likely concussing the kid.

Just looking at Holl's fight history of getting caved and trying to fall to bail out of fights, you can see how some develop by him darting into cheap hits with guys not looking. Scummy cowardly player.

Fair enough. I think it was more mid-size car impacts compact car than anything to be honest. Won’t argue the blindside aspect, but most recipients would easily have absorbed that nudge and Nuge doesn’t have to be Buford Pusser.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818994 is a reply to message #818973 ]
Fri, 03 March 2023 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Yup that earlier play was part of it too.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818923 is a reply to message #818902 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 06:58

Leafs will get rolled first round again by Tampa.

I was thinking same thing.. they did not look that good last night..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818925 is a reply to message #818880 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

For your afternoon entertainment we present to you.. Ryan "Killer" Hopkins! icon_nod

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62) [message #818961 is a reply to message #818925 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 19:51

For your afternoon entertainment we present to you.. Ryan "Killer" Hopkins! icon_nod

Beautiful

Previous Topic:Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler
Next Topic:Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #63)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca