This day on May 16
None

Happy Birthday To: Slapshot, welcometotheOC, markn29, Gobb, wildman134

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #31)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #31) [message #815579 is a reply to message #815576 ]
Fri, 16 December 2022 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Fri, 16 December 2022 14:29

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 16 December 2022 14:54

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 16 December 2022 10:03

.. What bothers me even more is the league called in for it! The Blues didn't see it as a problem and thought it was onside which I assume they have a guy just like the Oilers who's job it is during the game to watch video and look for challenges. So the Blues thought it was good and followed the rules but the league steps in and say, nope, you guys are wrong.

This is actually the worst part.. refs called it right.. Blues thought it was on-side.. fans thought it was on-side.. some clowns sitting in a booth in Toronto thought they'd get creative.. just to show off?

I believe Toronto automatically reviews all OT goals.

I understand that but the league is literally deciding that a couple of guys watching a tv screen 1000's of KM away are a better judges at if he has control of the puck vs guys you are literally there feet away. You are basing it on if the camera catches the puck or stick at the right angle at the right time.

This all started with that Duchense goal where he was feet offside and a goal was allowed to happen. So they want to "get the call right". Well it has morphed into zooming a camera in and watching it frame by frame to see that a for a split half second McD doesn't have control of the puck or a guys skate is 1/8 of an inch offside. It's pretty rare you see a linesman miss an offside by feet. This is supposed to be entertaining and goals are entertaining. So if you have to get zoomed in and slow the game down to frame by frame then maybe they play is close enough that you let it go. I get that the Oilers have been benefitted from super close offsides but it's gone too far.

If the point is to get the calls 100% right, then why not put sensors in the bluelines and the pucks and sticks and whatelse is needed to take away the human element. Then you know the play is perfectly legal. There is no interpretation which is what fans like myself hate. It wouldn't shock me if that same paly happened next game and the call was different which shouldn't happen but sadly it does frequently.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #31) [message #815565 is a reply to message #815507 ]
Fri, 16 December 2022 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Watch this "interpretation" from the NHL Clown Corporation.. too freaking hilarious..
Everyone in that department should be fired.

https://twitter.com/reaps33/status/1603627019253985281?ref_s rc=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E160362701925 3985281%7Ctwgr%5E1b039f1f8e1701e65c797cfae9e5b95942eac8ee%7C twcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fedmontonjournal.com%2F sports%2Fhockey%2Fnhl%2Fcult-of-hockey%2Fplayer-grades-oiler s-lose-focus-blow-lead-drop-point-in-late-collapse-vs-blues

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #31) [message #815567 is a reply to message #815565 ]
Fri, 16 December 2022 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

These calls are ruining the game. It’s just insane at this point.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #31) [message #815574 is a reply to message #815507 ]
Fri, 16 December 2022 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oh.. and ANOTHER thing.. I didn't realize it when I watched the replay on the OT goal.. it was freaking TORONTO that called the rink to intervene to insist on the offside review.. has that ever happened for an offside? .. looks like a case of the Toronto goofs getting bored sitting in their box all night and decided to do the mental gymnastics to contort an explanation into fitting an offside call.. and determine the outcome of a game..

McDavid had clear possession crossing the line and never lost it, he took his stick off the puck for an instant so that O'Reilly's stick check didn't get transmitted to the puck.. but he was always in control of the puck.. Game was over.

NHL doing what the NHL does.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #31) [message #815580 is a reply to message #815574 ]
Fri, 16 December 2022 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Yup I noticed it was Toronto. Sickening.

I’m curious to see how the league takes McDavids post game comments.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #31) [message #815581 is a reply to message #815574 ]
Fri, 16 December 2022 17:37 Go to previous message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 16 December 2022 12:49

Oh.. and ANOTHER thing.. I didn't realize it when I watched the replay on the OT goal.. it was freaking TORONTO that called the rink to intervene to insist on the offside review.. has that ever happened for an offside? .. looks like a case of the Toronto goofs getting bored sitting in their box all night and decided to do the mental gymnastics to contort an explanation into fitting an offside call.. and determine the outcome of a game..

McDavid had clear possession crossing the line and never lost it, he took his stick off the puck for an instant so that O'Reilly's stick check didn't get transmitted to the puck.. but he was always in control of the puck.. Game was over.

NHL doing what the NHL does.

McDavid never touched the puck in the offensive zone to establish control. If he had, he would have been safely onside. Parayko chipped the loose puck away, so Connor became offside at that point. Drai got the puck so the whistle should have been blown then, but the linesmen have been instructed to let the plays finish and let T.O. decide. The rule was applied correctly.

The Twitter link in an earlier post shows a very similar play where the attacking player actually touches the puck in the offensive zone, thereby retaining control and staying onside.

But, hey, giving up a shorthanded goal to the worst PK in the league on a complete breakdown in the Oilers' end only gets us 1/2 as angry as getting T.O.'d. That was a joke of an effort with 30 seconds left. Embarrassing. All they had to do was anything other than what they did and the game was over. Shoot, pass, skate, over. But nope.
deadhorse

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Anaheim @ Edmonton (Game #32)
Next Topic:GDT: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #31)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca