This day on April 26
None

Happy Birthday To: Hemmer2Eberle, Burgeoboy, Weloveoil

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » 2022-23 Trade Speculation ThreadPages (12): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818423 is a reply to message #818421 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 12:25

Holland is too stubborn and old school to find the way in making this happen.

Karlsson will not be an Oiler this season. Should the foreseeable and unfortunate demise occur (Oilers not winning the cup) then a “big” move will be done in the summer.

Ah well. As long as he tried. GMing seems very difficult

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818424 is a reply to message #818421 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 12:13

nullterm wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 10:32

And by the sounds of it, Karlsson ain’t coming.

I continue to hear the exact opposite. confused2

Karlsson will not be an Oiler this season. Should the foreseeable and unfortunate demise occur (Oilers not winning the cup) then a “big” move will be done in the summer.

Just gonna chillax during another season of healthy McDavid and Drai that more any team in the league would kill to have and would go all in on trying to win a cup with. Drai 1 year left after this before we have to go heavy into extension talks, and that has automatic implications for McDavid's future here.

Just a shameful franchise if we make weak deadline moves.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818425 is a reply to message #818424 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 16:06

Deadline is going to come and go and we'll still have all of our oh so valuable draft picks and no significant roster upgrade to speak of. But they will be sure to let us know all the things they were in on.

If not NOW Kenny, then when? An all time great 1-2 punch up front in their prime. You're not going to improve on those 2.

I'm not saying throw away the future for nothing. But absolutely use whatever non roster assets you need to in order to shore up our D and bolster our top 6. Ideally get guys under contract beyond this year (Chychrun, Karlsson). If you can afford to add a UFA as well, fine.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818426 is a reply to message #818424 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 13:06

Just gonna chillax during another season of healthy McDavid and Drai that more any team in the league would kill to have and would go all in on trying to win a cup with. Drai 1 year left after this before we have to go heavy into extension talks, and that has automatic implications for McDavid's future here.

I think this is the 100% wrong way to handle things. I am all for making big moves but not foolish ones just because some Oilers fans continue with the scare tactic of "McD and Leon will leave". You shouldn't be making any moves thinking there is a gun to your head. I would like Karlsson a lot, I tihnk its a bold move but if they aren't going to retain more money, it makes it a stupid move.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818427 is a reply to message #818426 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 14:35

I think this is the 100% wrong way to handle things. I am all for making big moves but not foolish ones just because some Oilers fans continue with the scare tactic of "McD and Leon will leave". You shouldn't be making any moves thinking there is a gun to your head. I would like Karlsson a lot, I tihnk its a bold move but if they aren't going to retain more money, it makes it a stupid move.

Nor should you ignore a gun that's squarely pointed at your head.

If now isn't the time to figure out how to win, I don't know when it is.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818428 is a reply to message #818427 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 15:00

Nor should you ignore a gun that's squarely pointed at your head.

If now isn't the time to figure out how to win, I don't know when it is.

So you have it on authority and can provide proof, those 2 are gone in a couple of years? I'd love to see it.

So we also know for certain that if the Oilers blow whatever assets it takes to get Karlsson or whoever the arm chair GM's want, that means the cup is going down Jasper in a few months and those 2 are Oilers for life?

[Updated on: Wed, 22 February 2023 15:04]

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818431 is a reply to message #818428 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 15:02

So you have it on authority and can provide proof, those 2 are gone in a couple of years? I'd love to see it.

So we also know for certain that if the Oilers blow whatever assets it takes to get Karlsson or whoever the arm chair GM's want, that means the cup is going down Jasper in a few months and those 2 are Oilers for life?

I have as much proof that they're going that you have that they're saying. Sadly, demanding proof for either is both an impossible and does nothing to further the conversation. It's a needless logical fallacy.

This is an exercise in risk management. In short time the Oilers lose the guarantee these two players are staying. That is the only known fact we have. The current contracts are expiring. I guess we also know they're both really good players too. Considering the value of these two players and the knowledge the contracts are expiring a smart manager would try to do two things before he loses the guarantee those two players are Oilers: increase the on ice return generated by two extraordinarily valuable assets AND increase the likelihood those asset will stay.

Winning does both of those thing. Talking about winning, but doing nothing does neither. If you think treading water is the best option because I can't prove the Oilers will win the cup I'd humbly suggest there are better ways to look at the problem and potential risks.

I actually don't think Karlsson is the right risk. He's too expensive, too old, and too injured. This season is likely a mirage. The Sharks (a division rival) are honestly an awful hockey team despite spending to the cap. They need Cap Space more than almost anyone or they risk having a lost decade (39 million committed to 6 players through 2025-26 is not a good place to be when you're a bad team).

But I'd still rather take the Karlsson swing now while we know McDavid and Draisaitl are both (a) very good and (b) under contract lest one of those two known facts change.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818429 is a reply to message #818426 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Holland already blew through all his cap space like he had a gun to his head and he still didn't end up with a contender. So, he better figure something out quick and compete for real this season or we are going to be close to waiting for another #1OA pick miracle when the next generational talent comes along.

I refuse to think McDavid and Drai are not aware of how bad the management has been here. They've seen the turnover in our management group, they've seen guys like Bobby Burgers make asses of themselves. Even sounds like McDrai are making specific requests of what kind of D to get, as if they can't trust Holland to know what's needed.

If they really want to win a cup, and they see Holland dither once again because of a cap hell he created for himself, I think they would be nuts to stick around. Maybe there is an extreme amount of loyalty that can save us, but I wouldn't blame them at all if they left after some more disappointments here.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 February 2023 15:25]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818430 is a reply to message #818429 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 15:22

Holland already blew through all his cap space like he had a gun to his head and he still didn't end up with a contender. So, he better figure something out quick and compete for real this season or we are going to be close to waiting for another #1OA pick miracle when the next generational talent comes along.

I refuse to think McDavid and Drai are not aware of how bad the management has been here. They've seen the turnover in our management group, they've seen guys like Bobby Burgers make asses of themselves. Even sounds like McDrai are making specific requests of what kind of D to get, as if they can't trust Holland to know what's needed.

If they really want to win a cup, and they see Holland dither once again because of a cap hell he created for himself, I think they would be nuts to stick around. Maybe there is an extreme amount of loyalty that can save us, but I wouldn't blame them at all if they left after some more disappointments here.

He (Holland) continues to show he isn’t willing to get creative in a cap world. It’s the simplest way to say it.

They could do a Karlsson deal now. Karlsson has said he’d agree to a move to Edmonton. San Jose has agreed to retain, not the level Holland wants and teams have shown and made it known they will facilitate salary retention for picks. It’s a matter of Holland’s unwillingness to be creative.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818432 is a reply to message #818429 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I heard speculation in 1260 Katz might have been the voice behind what Bob Stauffer said last night. But I wonder if it came from below?

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818436 is a reply to message #818432 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 15:11

I heard speculation in 1260 Katz might have been the voice behind what Bob Stauffer said last night. But I wonder if it came from below?

Bobby boy ain't saying anything without Katz's finger prints on it. But I would guess that McDavid has probably made his feelings known to Katz on whatever direct line he has to the owner.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818434 is a reply to message #818429 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 14:22

The risk isn't even just that McDavid and/or Draisaitl leave after their contracts expire. McDavid is 26, Draisaitl 27. Crosby has had 6 100pt seasons in his career, 5 of those were when he was 27 or younger. The reality is that the production from McDavid & Draisaitl is going to start declining at some point sooner rather than later. They're not going to become 50pt players overnight, but their next contracts are still going to be massive, and their performance is going to start going down at some point during those contracts.

Not saying it becomes impossible, but the ability for the Oilers to win a Cup likely starts to get harder after this year, not easier.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818437 is a reply to message #818421 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 11:25

I'm sure Karlsson is all thumbs up with a suitcase packed with a YEG tag on it.

But as I saw on twitter "one in a million" that it actually happens with the Oilers cap situation, and San Jose apparently unwilling to give Edmonton any cap breaks. Fair enough on their part, even if I was rebuilding, I wouldn't want $3 million in cap space thrown away for the next five years.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818416 is a reply to message #818412 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 10:24

Keep hearing these D prices from media. Edmundson, 1st+. Ekholm, 2 1sts. Chychrun 2 1sts + good prospect.

Barrie must be worth a couple 1sts then, no? 3 game goal streak too. We never sell high on anything though, just buy the tops and sell the low.

So you think the best course of action for the Oilers now is to sell Barrie while he is hot for draft picks?

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818418 is a reply to message #818416 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 10:39

Keep hearing these D prices from media. Edmundson, 1st+. Ekholm, 2 1sts. Chychrun 2 1sts + good prospect.

Barrie must be worth a couple 1sts then, no? 3 game goal streak too. We never sell high on anything though, just buy the tops and sell the low.

So you think the best course of action for the Oilers now is to sell Barrie while he is hot for draft picks?

Better than him just being a throw in to save cap in another trade. Know the Karlsson stuff is dying, but I don't like seeing trades like Barrie+Jesse+3 1sts for Karlsson. Why isn't Barrie worth something? Isn't that like us giving 4 or 5 1st round picks of value?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818419 is a reply to message #818418 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 10:46

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 10:39

Better than him just being a throw in to save cap in another trade. Know the Karlsson stuff is dying, but I don't like seeing trades like Barrie+Jesse+3 1sts for Karlsson. Why isn't Barrie worth something? Isn't that like us giving 4 or 5 1st round picks of value?

If a Karlsson trade does happen, I don't think ends up being those 2 players plus 3 firsts. But in saying that, if you are asking the Sharks to retain a ton of money, they will need to be compensated for that. I do think Barrie has value and I see him as part of the center piece for the Sharks going back but as good as Barrie has been, Karlsson would be a huge upgrade. Karlsson is probably the best offensive dman we have seen in the last 15 years? He will probably win the norris again.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818438 is a reply to message #815007 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

They’ve also tabled an offer to Chicago for Kane. Lafferty alone has been the chatter for awhile but they don’t like the cost (they being Edmonton, Chicago wanting a 2nd) but something around Lafferty and Kane has been offered.

And dialogue on Karlsson exists but as of this moment isn’t happening without a 3rd team and Holland isn’t showing a willingness to do that.

Kane a real possibility. Karlsson, likely not. Won’t be both. Probably won’t be either. But Holland is ‘trying’, just not exploring all avenues to ensure he adds one of them.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818440 is a reply to message #818438 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 16:49

They’ve also tabled an offer to Chicago for Kane. Lafferty alone has been the chatter for awhile but they don’t like the cost (they being Edmonton, Chicago wanting a 2nd) but something around Lafferty and Kane has been offered.

And dialogue on Karlsson exists but as of this moment isn’t happening without a 3rd team and Holland isn’t showing a willingness to do that.

Kane a real possibility. Karlsson, likely not. Won’t be both. Probably won’t be either. But Holland is ‘trying’, just not exploring all avenues to ensure he adds one of them.

I forget where, but some media guy mentioned that 75% of the teams are all right at the cap. And when everyone is maxed out, much like a LA highway traffic jam, no one is going anywhere.

The league needs to revisit the cap rules so teams have some ability to make moves at the deadline. Right now the product is hurting because all the GMs are competing against each other for players, which means no one can afford to have an extra $8 mil at the deadline and still have a competitive roster.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818441 is a reply to message #818440 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 18:15

I forget where, but some media guy mentioned that 75% of the teams are all right at the cap. And when everyone is maxed out, much like a LA highway traffic jam, no one is going anywhere.

The league needs to revisit the cap rules so teams have some ability to make moves at the deadline. Right now the product is hurting because all the GMs are competing against each other for players, which means no one can afford to have an extra $8 mil at the deadline and still have a competitive roster.

They’ll say their cap system is perfect as is, allowing cap space to effectively accumulated over the season so a 8M player is more around 2M cap hit come the deadline. They’ll point at the amount of teams in LTIR coupled with the flat cap to Covid as the issues. Bettman’s system is perfect.

On a personal level, I totally agree with you.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818445 is a reply to message #818441 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 18:59

They’ll say their cap system is perfect as is, allowing cap space to effectively accumulated over the season so a 8M player is more around 2M cap hit come the deadline. They’ll point at the amount of teams in LTIR coupled with the flat cap to Covid as the issues. Bettman’s system is perfect.

The problem is everyone loses their minds when teams monkey with the cap. Remember all the kvetching when Tampa sat Kucherov for 2ish games? Just wait until people realize what Boston did with their bonuses this year.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818446 is a reply to message #818445 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 18:33

The problem is everyone loses their minds when teams monkey with the cap. Remember all the kvetching when Tampa sat Kucherov for 2ish games? Just wait until people realize what Boston did with their bonuses this year.

What they need is to raise the cap by like 10% a few weeks before the trade deadline to clear the jam. That would be the 3rd most exciting league day, behind the draft and trade deadline.

If every GM suddenly had an extra $8 mil in cap tonight at midnight, everything would be incredibly exciting suddenly and people would actually have big news pop up, rather than bored and unfulfilled anticipation. The NHL as a product would be far more exciting.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818447 is a reply to message #818446 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 19:59

What they need is to raise the cap by like 10% a few weeks before the trade deadline to clear the jam. That would be the 3rd most exciting league day, behind the draft and trade deadline.

If every GM suddenly had an extra $8 mil in cap tonight at midnight, everything would be incredibly exciting suddenly and people would actually have big news pop up, rather than bored and unfulfilled anticipation. The NHL as a product would be far more exciting.

Oh that would be fun. Maybe Cap Space could be traded too for this week too.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818451 is a reply to message #818447 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 19:12

nullterm wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 19:59

Oh that would be fun. Maybe Cap Space could be traded too for this week too.

Isn't that the same as a broken beyond repair player with 4 years left on his deal being traded to Arizona? And also retention?

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818449 is a reply to message #818445 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 19:33

Holy crabapples. It all makes perfect sense. Wow. For anyone wanting a little extra read on this;

https://chowderandchampions.com/2022/08/09/boston-bruins-ben efit-salary-cap-exemption-patrice-bergeron/amp/

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818450 is a reply to message #818449 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 20:34

Holy crabapples. It all makes perfect sense. Wow. For anyone wanting a little extra read on this;

https://chowderandchampions.com/2022/08/09/boston-bruins-ben efit-salary-cap-exemption-patrice-bergeron/amp/

See? That's a team that wants to win a cup this year. Will it be worth it? Dunno. But they sure as heck can't be accused of not trying.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818453 is a reply to message #818438 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

The one card Oilers hold in negotiations with SJ, is that Karlsson has a NC clause, he picks the team, apparently he's OK'd a move to Edmonton, so Oilers won't be competing with very many bidders.. between the few teams that have cap space, and the very few teams on Karlsson's list, SJ will likely have to eat some of EK's cap to make any deal happen.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818457 is a reply to message #818438 ]
Thu, 23 February 2023 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 20:49

Do both! Chicago won’t be contending for a couple of years. They have money, and they have almost $30M coming off their cap next year with Kane, Toews, Domi, AA, and a few others. But mostly Toews and Kane ($21M). I’m sure they could be persuaded to keep some of EK’s contract.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818442 is a reply to message #815007 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

My guy says New Jersey is a possible Puljujarvi destination. They reached out last summer and have recently engaged in convo again. Oilers have been scouting New Jersey as a result.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818443 is a reply to message #818442 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 19:03

My guy says New Jersey is a possible Puljujarvi destination. They reached out last summer and have recently engaged in convo again. Oilers have been scouting New Jersey as a result.

Dellow wants Jesse? Not surprised. Would be interesting to see how he fits in there.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818444 is a reply to message #818443 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 19:05

Dellow wants Jesse? Not surprised. Would be interesting to see how he fits in there.

Oh yeah, that would make sense. Forgot Dellow is there, for some reason thought he was in Florida.

Bastian has been the discussed return, though a pick going to NJ as well. Nothing for sure obviously, just what’s been talked about.

Chance that Holland does something with Nashville too. Have discussed Jeannot and Novak.

That’s all I’ve got. Hope I can give you guys something more concrete but sounds like they are exploring deals.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818458 is a reply to message #818444 ]
Thu, 23 February 2023 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 19:24

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 22 February 2023 19:05

Oh yeah, that would make sense. Forgot Dellow is there, for some reason thought he was in Florida.

Bastian has been the discussed return, though a pick going to NJ as well. Nothing for sure obviously, just what’s been talked about.

Chance that Holland does something with Nashville too. Have discussed Jeannot and Novak.

That’s all I’ve got. Hope I can give you guys something more concrete but sounds like they are exploring deals.

Going into the playoffs the Oilers could use some more size and physical play in the bottom 6 for the playoffs. Preferably guys that can skate and help on the PK. They could badly use another center to win some faceoffs. The Oilers have given up goals directly off of faceoffs a lot this year. They could use a dman obviously.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818448 is a reply to message #815007 ]
Wed, 22 February 2023 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Fresh reminder that Holland will have been paid $20M by Katz to build what we have for the coming playoff run.

I'd guess that between Chia, Holland, Bobby burgers, various ex oilers like Messier, Gretzky, Coffey etc... Katz has probably paid 70M+ to the brilliant management minds that have successfully wasted nearly a decade of McDavid's career so far.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 February 2023 20:34]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818462 is a reply to message #818448 ]
Thu, 23 February 2023 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

The Oilers could use Kane if it does actually happen.

These are the Oilers players available today as per Stauffer.
Leon - McD-Ryan
Hyman - NUGE - Yamo
Foegele - McLeod - JP
Kostin - Shore - Janmark.

Now I am not sure if they got 11-7.

Once E. Kane is back, he takes over for probably Ryan. But with both JP and Yamo not really emerging as top 6 guys, they could use another one.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818463 is a reply to message #818462 ]
Thu, 23 February 2023 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 23 February 2023 09:07

Leon - McD-Ryan
Hyman - NUGE - Yamo
Foegele - McLeod - JP

Once E. Kane is back, he takes over for probably Ryan. But with both JP and Yamo not really emerging as top 6 guys, they could use another one.

We largely had this for most of the season and it wasn't enough.

My first preference would be upgrading the backend with a top 4 (if not 2!) Dman. But barring that, adding P Kane would be the next option. And then hope and pray whatever team we face that we can simply outscore their defence and goalie. We are NOT a team that can score 1 or 2 and then shut down the other team and ride out a win.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818465 is a reply to message #818463 ]
Thu, 23 February 2023 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 23 February 2023 09:38

Leon - McD-Ryan
Hyman - NUGE - Yamo
Foegele - McLeod - JP

My first preference would be upgrading the backend with a top 4 (if not 2!) Dman. But barring that, adding P Kane would be the next option. And then hope and pray whatever team we face that we can simply outscore their defence and goalie. We are NOT a team that can score 1 or 2 and then shut down the other team and ride out a win.

We can score 5 and barely win a game!
A true elite skating, puck moving D-man (like EK65) would totally change the team dynamic.. McD could get hit on the fly on a regular basis.. forcing back all the opposing D-men even more, as well as their forwards forecheck, putting them into a consistent prevent mode.. reducing pressure in our own end.. and likely reduce GA.. If you also had a mobile D-man with a great shot, like EK65.. the PP would be even better, the shot from the point would be a true threat and force the PK D-men out to block, opening up the forwards down low.. lots of possibilities.. dare to dream..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818468 is a reply to message #818463 ]
Thu, 23 February 2023 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 23 February 2023 10:38

Leon - McD-Ryan
Hyman - NUGE - Yamo
Foegele - McLeod - JP

I’d argue adding Karlsson, not at the expense of losing Bouchard, would give this d a sizeable difference. If Ceci isn’t relied upon as your RD1, but rather your RD2/3 you’re winning already. Rolling Nurse/Karlsson-Kulak/Ceci-Broberg/Bouch/Vin is considerably better than what we have going now. Nothing against Barrie, I like Barrie, he’s performed (offensively) very well for this team.

I think Domi is much more attainable than Kane. If they change course to Domi and Lafferty, with Chicago retaining on Domi while sending Yamo and whatever required pick, the forward group is in a much better place also.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818469 is a reply to message #818468 ]
Thu, 23 February 2023 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 23 February 2023 12:34

Leon - McD-Ryan
Hyman - NUGE - Yamo
Foegele - McLeod - JP

I’d argue adding Karlsson, not at the expense of losing Bouchard, would give this d a sizeable difference. If Ceci isn’t relied upon as your RD1, but rather your RD2/3 you’re winning already. Rolling Nurse/Karlsson-Kulak/Ceci-Broberg/Bouch/Vin is considerably better than what we have going now. Nothing against Barrie, I like Barrie, he’s performed (offensively) very well for this team.

I think Domi is much more attainable than Kane. If they change course to Domi and Lafferty, with Chicago retaining on Domi while sending Yamo and whatever required pick, the forward group is in a much better place also.

Just curious. I have read that Bouchard almost seems to be untouchable in a lot of peoples reasoning. What is the reasoning for this? Seems to me anyone whos name doesn't start with McD or Dra should be on the table.

[Updated on: Thu, 23 February 2023 12:51]

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818470 is a reply to message #818469 ]
Thu, 23 February 2023 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 23 February 2023 12:49

Leon - McD-Ryan
Hyman - NUGE - Yamo
Foegele - McLeod - JP

Just curious. I have read that Bouchard almost seems to be untouchable in a lot of peoples reasoning. What is the reasoning for this? Seems to me anyone whos name doesn't start with McD or Dra should be on the table.

If you're going to give up a NHL calibre defensemen on cheap contracts who seemed poised to make a jump in play at the very time you need cheap players to make a jump in play the return better be worth it.

I wouldn't say Bouchard and Broberg are untouchable I just think sending them away should be carefully contemplated and be backed by well reasoned decision making. I don't think the current Oilers management is capable of careful contemplated or well reasoned decision making.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818517 is a reply to message #818470 ]
Fri, 24 February 2023 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 23 February 2023 13:03

Leon - McD-Ryan
Hyman - NUGE - Yamo
Foegele - McLeod - JP

If you're going to give up a NHL calibre defensemen on cheap contracts who seemed poised to make a jump in play at the very time you need cheap players to make a jump in play the return better be worth it.

I wouldn't say Bouchard and Broberg are untouchable I just think sending them away should be carefully contemplated and be backed by well reasoned decision making. I don't think the current Oilers management is capable of careful contemplated or well reasoned decision making.

But if these were solid NHL dmen we wouldn't be looking for a solid bonafide dman. Bouchard's season has been a regression not a breakout. If he gets SJ to retain enough to make it work I say do it. Our window is now. If we are going to Ron Jeremy this Smurfette we need to ram it in hard and worry about the consequenses later.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818519 is a reply to message #818517 ]
Fri, 24 February 2023 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Fri, 24 February 2023 16:41

Leon - McD-Ryan
Hyman - NUGE - Yamo
Foegele - McLeod - JP

But if these were solid NHL dmen we wouldn't be looking for a solid bonafide dman. Bouchard's season has been a regression not a breakout. If he gets SJ to retain enough to make it work I say do it. Our window is now. If we are going to Ron Jeremy this Smurfette we need to ram it in hard and worry about the consequenses later.

Ron was on the verge of serving 300 years in prison, but was “saved” by dementia from being sentenced (possibly much worse sentence). What was that about consequences?

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #818521 is a reply to message #818519 ]
Fri, 24 February 2023 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 24 February 2023 19:36

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Fri, 24 February 2023 16:41

Leon - McD-Ryan
Hyman - NUGE - Yamo
Foegele - McLeod - JP

Ron was on the verge of serving 300 years in prison, but was “saved” by dementia from being sentenced (possibly much worse sentence). What was that about consequences?
Dont know where I was but I heard nothing of this. I thought he was still cool cause people were comaring Matthews to him. My mistake. I maintain my sentiments though. We still need to John Holmes this perverbial thing.

[Updated on: Sat, 25 February 2023 02:17]

Pages (12): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Staios as GM???
Next Topic:Puljujarvi's Extension
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca