F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Jack Campbell
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Jack Campbell [message #810232]
Mon, 11 July 2022 10:29 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

So it sure sounds like he will be our guy. Friedman saying it would be a surprise if it wasn’t us. Looking a lot like the Hyman telegraphing last year.

What is the read on this guy? Koskinen and Smith were team chaos, is he more controlled in net? Any advanced stats we should care about?

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810234 is a reply to message #810232 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 10:29

So it sure sounds like he will be our guy. Friedman saying it would be a surprise if it wasn’t us. Looking a lot like the Hyman telegraphing last year.

What is the read on this guy? Koskinen and Smith were team chaos, is he more controlled in net? Any advanced stats we should care about?

Woodguy had a great twitter thread about him the other day:

https://twitter.com/Woodguy55/status/1545772550076059648

Looks middle of the road, based on this.

My Leafs fan friend wasn't ever really sold on him, take that for what it's worth.

I don't think he'll be a Vezina candidate, but maybe he can be decent. I just hope it's not too much for too long, because ideally, there may be a better candidate appear at some point and it would be good to be able to change course if that option appears.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810236 is a reply to message #810234 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

how else do you pay goalies though?
Do you remember the last time we didn't over pay or over extend our goalie?

it wasn't Smith, Koskinen, Talbot, Scrivens... Bryzgalov - 2 mil for 1 year?

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810240 is a reply to message #810236 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 10:50

how else do you pay goalies though?
Do you remember the last time we didn't over pay or over extend our goalie?

it wasn't Smith, Koskinen, Talbot, Scrivens... Bryzgalov - 2 mil for 1 year?

Bryzgalov was a good and reasonable deal. Scrivens wasn't bad either. Talbot was a good deal - just the team had no patience for a tough stretch with him, especially when we had a clear star in Koskinen in the fold to step easily in to his shoes.

Even Smith, while the last contract was ridiculous and ill-advised based on term and based on the fact that we should have tried harder to find a better option, was never outrageously priced.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810245 is a reply to message #810240 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 10:59

Bryzgalov was a good and reasonable deal. Scrivens wasn't bad either. Talbot was a good deal - just the team had no patience for a tough stretch with him, especially when we had a clear star in Koskinen in the fold to step easily in to his shoes.

Even Smith, while the last contract was ridiculous and ill-advised based on term and based on the fact that we should have tried harder to find a better option, was never outrageously priced.

dripping with sarcasm, love it.

Campbell is a lock it seems. Could be a good bet, would love a 4.75M AAV deal.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2022 11:22]

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810239 is a reply to message #810232 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

1 Cup

Friedman pretty much confirmed soup is the man for the oil. Not sure how to feel but likely the best option

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810251 is a reply to message #810232 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

If he costs over $4 million/year, it's an overpay. If he costs over $5 million/year, It is really damaging for the team. If he costs over $6 million/year, Holland should be fired on the spot.

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810255 is a reply to message #810251 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 12:48

If he costs over $4 million/year, it's an overpay. If he costs over $5 million/year, It is really damaging for the team. If he costs over $6 million/year, Holland should be fired on the spot.

It will be around 5 x 5 I am assuming. That has been reported way too many times by all kinds of people not to be the number. I think if you expect the Oilers to improve their goaltending and it cost them less than 4 mill, I don't think you are paying a lot of attention to what guys are signing for.

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810263 is a reply to message #810255 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 12:58

It will be around 5 x 5 I am assuming. That has been reported way too many times by all kinds of people not to be the number. I think if you expect the Oilers to improve their goaltending and it cost them less than 4 mill, I don't think you are paying a lot of attention to what guys are signing for.

Not to put words in NetBOG's mouth, but I think he's suggesting that you don't pay that kind of money for a goalie who isn't a sure thing. Campbell has his question marks - including his current team who is also in win-now mode and needs a goalie not stepping up to sign him for that, and possibly paying more for Kuemper instead (if rumours are to be believed).

Based on that, there's a good argument to be made that you could definitely be overpaying Campbell with a long and lucrative deal.

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810267 is a reply to message #810263 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 14:22

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 12:58

Not to put words in NetBOG's mouth, but I think he's suggesting that you don't pay that kind of money for a goalie who isn't a sure thing. Campbell has his question marks - including his current team who is also in win-now mode and needs a goalie not stepping up to sign him for that, and possibly paying more for Kuemper instead (if rumours are to be believed).

Based on that, there's a good argument to be made that you could definitely be overpaying Campbell with a long and lucrative deal.

Well if there are better options for cheaper, then I would love to hear them. I am all for getting a good goalie for as cheap as possible.

I like Skinner and have high hopes for him but I am of the opinion you pin the hopes of a championship to a 23 yr old with 14 career starts but that's just me. So I think you need someone else who has more experience starting.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2022 14:35]

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810269 is a reply to message #810267 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 13:31

Well if there are better options for cheaper, then I would love to hear them. I am all for getting a good goalie for as cheap as possible.

I like Skinner and have high hopes for him but I am of the opinion you pin the hopes of a championship to a 23 yr old with 14 career starts but that's just me. So I think you need someone else who has more experience starting.

I'd look at a guy like Chris Driedger out of Seattle. Fantastic numbers in Florida before going to the Kraken where him and Grubauer were both terrible, so might be something systemic going on. Signed for 2 more years at $3.5M, so he's not going to kill you long-term. Keeps things flexible if someone else better becomes available.

Acquisition cost matters of course, but there are options out there outside of the few UFA's that everyone keeps talking about.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810270 is a reply to message #810269 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 14:43

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 13:31

I'd look at a guy like Chris Driedger out of Seattle. Fantastic numbers in Florida before going to the Kraken where him and Grubauer were both terrible, so might be something systemic going on. Signed for 2 more years at $3.5M, so he's not going to kill you long-term. Keeps things flexible if someone else better becomes available.

Acquisition cost matters of course, but there are options out there outside of the few UFA's that everyone keeps talking about.

Again who is available.

Some bloggers seem to think that a guy like Gibson should be available because the team is supposed to be bad but the Ducks were decent for a while there, so is he? I think you are setting yourself up to fail if you are pinning your hopes on some team doing you a solid and trading you a goalie for a value package back.

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810272 is a reply to message #810270 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 14:50

Again who is available.

Some bloggers seem to think that a guy like Gibson should be available because the team is supposed to be bad but the Ducks were decent for a while there, so is he? I think you are setting yourself up to fail if you are pinning your hopes on some team doing you a solid and trading you a goalie for a value package back.

Oh the Oilers definitely set themselves up for failure by getting to the point where their goaltending cadre consists of one dude with a quarter season of backup experience. Whether you're at the mercy of hoping there's a decent and cheap free agent or at the mercy of a team demanding something in return for an asset (imagine) the club has got themselves in a bad spot.

So why not think outside the box and look at all options? I'd consider signing 5 or 6 replacement level tenders and hoping someone works out, like MacTavish tried that one year with the D. Why not? At least they won't have to overpay.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810274 is a reply to message #810272 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

I wonder if Holland uses up cap space to pull an overpaid, but otherwise decent goalie out of somewhere in a cap crunch or going into a rebuild. Especially if he strikes out on Campbell or another UFA goalie.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810275 is a reply to message #810272 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 14:56

Again who is available.

Oh the Oilers definitely set themselves up for failure by getting to the point where their goaltending cadre consists of one dude with a quarter season of backup experience. Whether you're at the mercy of hoping there's a decent and cheap free agent or at the mercy of a team demanding something in return for an asset (imagine) the club has got themselves in a bad spot.

So why not think outside the box and look at all options? I'd consider signing 5 or 6 replacement level tenders and hoping someone works out, like MacTavish tried that one year with the D. Why not? At least they won't have to overpay.

Who's the outside of the box option? You guys poopoo Campbell but never give an option.

It's not Campbell or bust for me. I am just looking at who's available in free agency that can
A. Actually be a starter and has done it and had success
B. Has experience in a tough media/hockey market.
C. The Oilers can actually get.

They need a goalie. This is a guy who has done the job, played in a real tough market. He got guys on the team who played with him so they could give the team intell on what kind of a guy he is because dressing rooms are important and they can get him.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2022 15:25]

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810278 is a reply to message #810275 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 15:17

Again who is available.

Who's the outside of the box option? You guys poopoo Campbell but never give an option.

It's not Campbell or bust for me. I am just looking at who's available in free agency that can

PLAYOFFS 7 3.15 0.897

He was awful from February on and rumours were he was healthy but had to be scratched because he told the team he couldn't go.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2022 15:29]

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810280 is a reply to message #810278 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 15:24

Again who is available.

PLAYOFFS 7 3.15 0.897

He was also the previous year. 7 games, 1.81, .934.

So again, if there is a better option, I'd love to hear it.

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810282 is a reply to message #810280 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Samsonov at 2ish?

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810281 is a reply to message #810275 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Again who is available.

They need a goalie. This is a guy who has done the job, played in a real tough market. He got guys on the team who played with him so they could give the team intell on what kind of a guy he is because dressing rooms are important and they can get him.

Most people aren't pooh-poohing Campbell. They're saying that's not a guy you overpay to get.

There's a reason why Toronto hasn't just inked him to a $5MMx5 deal themselves - they don't see him as worth it. Now, that doesn't mean they're right, but it is something to keep in mind.

One other option? Sergei Samsonov. Not qualified by Washington today.

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810286 is a reply to message #810281 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 15:31

Again who is available.

Most people aren't pooh-poohing Campbell. They're saying that's not a guy you overpay to get.

There's a reason why Toronto hasn't just inked him to a $5MMx5 deal themselves - they don't see him as worth it. Now, that doesn't mean they're right, but it is something to keep in mind.

I don't take much stock in the Leafs opinion on goalies. They let Andersen go because he wasn't good enough apparently for the money he wanted. Then he signs for 2 yrs at 4.5 per with is a 500K pay cut from the Leafs. He puts up a .922 while the Leafs give Mrazek a 3 yr 3.8 mill deal. Just my opinion but I think Dubas and his love for numbers has a set number based on his spreadsheet. So I am going to guess he trades assets to knock Murray down to under 4 and pray he can be good after 3 straight years of being bad.

My prediction is if the Oilers sign Campbell, some Oilers fans will be pissed off because they will deem it too much. If they don't sign a notable free agent, they will be pissed off for not doing anything again. If they roll the dice on a guy that's a risk, they will be pissed off. So either way, they will be pissed off.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2022 15:42]

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810289 is a reply to message #810286 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 15:39

Again who is available.

I don't take much stock in the Leafs opinion on goalies. They let Andersen go because he wasn't good enough apparently for the money he wanted. Then he signs for 2 yrs at 4.5 per with is a 500K pay cut from the Leafs. He puts up a .922 while the Leafs give Mrazek a 3 yr 3.8 mill deal. Just my opinion but I think Dubas and his love for numbers has a set number based on his spreadsheet. So I am going to guess he trades assets to knock Murray down to under 4 and pray he can be good after 3 straight years of being bad.

My prediction is if the Oilers sign Campbell, some Oilers fans will be pissed off because they will deem it too much. If they don't sign a notable free agent, they will be pissed off for not doing anything again. If they roll the dice on a guy that's a risk, they will be pissed off. So either way, they will be pissed off.

Considering the last 23 years of Oilers' management, I think being pissed off should be considered a reasonable baseline. I mean, these are many of the same people who thought rebuilding around notable franchise killer Taylor Hall was a good idea.

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810291 is a reply to message #810289 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 15:45

Again who is available.

Considering the last 23 years of Oilers' management, I think being pissed off should be considered a reasonable baseline. I mean, these are many of the same people who thought rebuilding around notable franchise killer Taylor Hall was a good idea.

Yes, yes. Oilers are terrible. Oilers suck. All they do is screw up, etc, etc. I've heard it many times here and seen it on twitter.

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810293 is a reply to message #810291 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 15:54

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 15:45

Again who is available.

Yes, yes. Oilers are terrible. Oilers suck. All they do is screw up, etc, etc. I've heard it many times here and seen it on twitter.

And in the standings. Don't forget them.

I'll give Holland credit though, he did a pretty good job unscrewing the Oilers this week. That by itself gives me some hope, but I still have to see it work on the ice before I consider believing. Until then, I allow history to be my guide.

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810297 is a reply to message #810293 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 15:57

I'll give Holland credit though, he did a pretty good job unscrewing the Oilers this week. That by itself gives me some hope, but I still have to see it work on the ice before I consider believing. Until then, I allow history to be my guide.

You're pretty generous giving credit to Holland, other than for the Kassian trade. I didn't get the sense that the Oilers were pushing out Keith...maybe Smith though. How much credit do you get for people quitting and helping undo your own mistakes?

But what happens over the next few days? That is on Holland for better or for worse. Maybe Brad H. has him focused on the right guys now...

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810301 is a reply to message #810297 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 16:00

You're pretty generous giving credit to Holland, other than for the Kassian trade. I didn't get the sense that the Oilers were pushing out Keith...maybe Smith though. How much credit do you get for people quitting and helping undo your own mistakes?

But what happens over the next few days? That is on Holland for better or for worse. Maybe Brad H. has him focused on the right guys now...

Ultimately the bucks stops with him (and Bobby and Daryl) so he gets some credit when things go well, even by accident.

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810313 is a reply to message #810297 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 15:00

He also talked Puljujarvi into coming back to the team. Holland doesn’t trade well, but he seems to have strength of persuasion. I think it’s important to recognize the good along with the bad.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810316 is a reply to message #810313 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Leafs grab Matt Murray from the Sens.

In the words of The Joker…. Here… We…. Go….

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810299 is a reply to message #810293 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 14:57

.. I'll give Holland credit though, he did a pretty good job unscrewing the Oilers this week. That by itself gives me some hope, but I still have to see it work on the ice before I consider believing. Until then, I allow history to be my guide.

The first step in the process was getting the cap, which he's done quite well.. most important step comes next.. how he spends it.. value for cap.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810253 is a reply to message #810232 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Getcha spoons ready Oilfans, ready for Soup and Stu

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810254 is a reply to message #810232 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

My take based on watching Campbell is that he is very good when his head is in the game, but he is streaky and can lose confidence for long stretches. Skinner will need to fill in during those periods.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810258 is a reply to message #810254 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 12:57

My take based on watching Campbell is that he is very good when his head is in the game, but he is streaky and can lose confidence for long stretches. Skinner will need to fill in during those periods.

I think the NHL has moved to needing 2 goalies. Unless you happen to have one of the maybe 3-5 elite, elite guys, ideally your #1 hovers around the 50-55 game mark. So you need a guy capable to play 25+ games. Hopefully Skinner is that guy.

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810322 is a reply to message #810232 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Someone maybe said already but analytics say he was bad last year. Think he played a chunk of the season dealing with an injury (rib?), so maybe a good season for it. He was much better the year before. This is where your goalie scouts need to shine to really understand what a guy is capable of. I'm sure we are in good hands!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810323 is a reply to message #810322 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 11 July 2022 18:22

Someone maybe said already but analytics say he was bad last year. Think he played a chunk of the season dealing with an injury (rib?), so maybe a good season for it. He was much better the year before. This is where your goalie scouts need to shine to really understand what a guy is capable of. I'm sure we are in good hands!

Here’s a link to a tweet the NHL put out this morning of Campbell’s top 20 saves this past season;

https://twitter.com/nhl/status/1546503814261489664?s=21& t=3g5XX4KC4JjaA6c517SziA

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Jack Campbell [message #810324 is a reply to message #810323 ]
Mon, 11 July 2022 19:47 Go to previous message
addicted2oil  is currently offline addicted2oil

No Cups

Thank you for that. To be honest I haven’t watched a log of leafs games so my visuals on him have been limited. Looks like he is very athletic which I love to see. Looks to be great with his pads as that was most of the highlights with a few nice glove catches. I’m more hyped on him after watching that video haha.

Previous Topic:Goalie possibilities
Next Topic:Dylan Strome
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca