Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809002]
Tue, 14 June 2022 10:06 Go to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Don't buy out Zack Kassian!

Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian.

Do not buy out Zack Kassian.

That's my statement and I will not be taking any questions at this time.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809004 is a reply to message #809002 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 14 June 2022 10:06

Trade him. Talk some moron in to believing in his intangibles. We owe Yzerman a bad trade...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809005 is a reply to message #809004 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

The Islanders traded Ladd who was making WAY more than Kassian, hadn't played in the NHL for 2 years and I question if he's any better than Kassian. Sure it cost them a lot but it can be done. I believe it cost them 2 2nd's. Yes you need to keep the young guys coming but any player taken in the 2nd round should hopefully be low down and probably 4 yrs minimum from maybe being ready to crack the NHL.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 June 2022 10:27]

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809008 is a reply to message #809004 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 14 June 2022 10:24

Trade him. Talk some moron in to believing in his intangibles. We owe Yzerman a bad trade...

The absolute worst case is you just keep playing him. Yes, he's over paid. That's ok. At least the team is getting something out of that expense. I can absolutely guarantee they'll get better production out of Kassian's 3.2 million than they'll get out of Sekera and Neil's 3.4 million.

2 million of dead cap space from Neil until 2025 and media people want more of that.

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809014 is a reply to message #809008 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 14 June 2022 10:32

The absolute worst case is you just keep playing him. Yes, he's over paid. That's ok. At least the team is getting something out of that expense. I can absolutely guarantee they'll get better production out of Kassian's 3.2 million than they'll get out of Sekera and Neil's 3.4 million.

2 million of dead cap space from Neil until 2025 and media people want more of that.

Yeah - it's pretty amazing how these guys who can burn out keyboards complaining about production from young cheap players spend exactly zero ink on how much money we've wasted the last few years on guys who don't play here any more.

I think there are some scenarios where it may make sense to do a buy-out - but I'm not sure the Oilers have ever had that. We've cut loose players who almost all have then landed with other teams. Pouliot, Sekera, Neal, etc. all landed other contracts immediately, which means that there likely was a market to move them had the Oilers been creative. I would suggest Kassian is similar. Someone will sign him if he's bought out, and that's a failure.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809016 is a reply to message #809014 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 14 June 2022 14:19

Yeah - it's pretty amazing how these guys who can burn out keyboards complaining about production from young cheap players spend exactly zero ink on how much money we've wasted the last few years on guys who don't play here any more.

I think there are some scenarios where it may make sense to do a buy-out - but I'm not sure the Oilers have ever had that. We've cut loose players who almost all have then landed with other teams. Pouliot, Sekera, Neal, etc. all landed other contracts immediately, which means that there likely was a market to move them had the Oilers been creative. I would suggest Kassian is similar. Someone will sign him if he's bought out, and that's a failure.

That's just it. They're not guys who were out of the league. Worst case retain a bit, but ideally as we are in win now mode, send over a pick and/or prospect. And again, Kassian is not completely useless. He has some bright spots and can actually keep up when playing up in the lineup. He's just overpaid for what he brings, but not ridiculously so. A little bit of creativity is all that should be needed to get him off our books.

I'll be livid if they go with another stupid buyout,

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809017 is a reply to message #809016 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 14 June 2022 11:36

Adam wrote on Tue, 14 June 2022 14:19

That's just it. They're not guys who were out of the league. Worst case retain a bit, but ideally as we are in win now mode, send over a pick and/or prospect. And again, Kassian is not completely useless. He has some bright spots and can actually keep up when playing up in the lineup. He's just overpaid for what he brings, but not ridiculously so. A little bit of creativity is all that should be needed to get him off our books.

I'll be livid if they go with another stupid buyout,

Even money retention is better than buying out. This twice the term of the deal is the killer. Seeing Sekera’s name on the payroll for yet another season is bananas.

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809018 is a reply to message #809014 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 14 June 2022 11:19

Yeah - it's pretty amazing how these guys who can burn out keyboards complaining about production from young cheap players

I picture Matheson typing out his tweets and giving them to a young intern to send out to the internet.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809015 is a reply to message #809004 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Bad trade bank (stand outs):

2007 - NYI - Nilsson, O'Marra and a 1st for Smytty
2009 Minny - Brodziak and a 6th (Kuemper) for bag of spoiled magic beans.
2011 - Ducks - Cogliano for a 2nd
2015 - Pens - Perron moved for Klinhammer and a 1st (2015 1st, which we will revisit soon)
2015 - Habs - Petry gonzo for a 2nd and a conditional 5th
2015 - NYI - 1st and and a second for Griffin Reinhart
2016 - Pens - Justin Schutz for a 3rd
2016 - NJ - Hall one for one Adam Larsson (We should have gotten more at the time)
2017 - LA - Cammalleri for Jussi Jokinen
2018 - NJ - Maroon for Dudek and a 3rd
2018 - NYR - Strome for Spooner
2018 - Chi - Cagguila for Manning (optics alone)
2019 - Phi - Talbot for Stolarz
2020 - Det - AA for Samwise and two 2nd's
2021 - Chi - Keith for Jones

I left out some other memorable ones like Eberle for Strome, but those trades in hindsight were not as lopsided as they appeared to be at the time.

Man'o'man is that ever a gloomy picture. 2015 to current had us winning the Talbot from the Rags trade, Maroon from the Ducks and quite likely Kulak from Montreal.

After seeing this trend, I do not like the idea of winning any trades ever again!

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809009 is a reply to message #809002 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

How many times do I have to explain that buying players out saves money! It's the best thing to do because every time you do it you get extra cap space. And it's nice for the player because they sign somewhere else and get two paycheques.

I'll lay it out for you:

Step 1: Sign ill-advised contract
Step 2: Buy out contract
Step 3: Savings!

And not only do you save money, you save money for TWICE as long as the contract was for. It's advanced stats at work.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809010 is a reply to message #809009 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I swear I'll wreck your Kane thread if you keep this up.

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809019 is a reply to message #809010 ]
Tue, 14 June 2022 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

You can't home-wreck a Kane thread.

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809720 is a reply to message #809019 ]
Mon, 04 July 2022 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I'm bumping this thread because I heard the two old guys (one of which I enjoy) on 1260 bring this up again. DO NOT BUY OUT ZACK KASSIAN. Under no circumstances can there be a Kassian drain on the cap during McDavid's 28 and 29 year old seasons. They have to have learned this from the Sekera buyout that will be running for 3 more years (McDavid as a 26, 27, and 28 year old).

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809722 is a reply to message #809720 ]
Mon, 04 July 2022 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

But what if, and hear me out on this, the DO buyout Zack Kassian?

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809723 is a reply to message #809722 ]
Mon, 04 July 2022 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Mon, 04 July 2022 14:08

Very important that we discuss that.

Odds of us not buying out Zack Kassian currently sit around 20% by my estimation.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809728 is a reply to message #809723 ]
Mon, 04 July 2022 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 04 July 2022 14:10

Odds of us not buying out Zack Kassian currently sit around 20% by my estimation.

Sigh.

When they buy out Kassian, it'll signal the beginning of a new four year plan where they try to outthink themselves into finding more cap space. The Oilers will not be able to contend if they're handing 4 million dollars of cap space over to buyouts this year.

Kassian .66
Sekera 1.5
Neal 1.9

By the way, Kassian's cap hit (when bought out) next year is 1.8 meaning, with Neal's buyout hit, they'll be wasting 3.7 next season. They won't contend next year either and will once again be looking to do stupid things to free up cap space.

This is penny stupid and pound stupid. It's bending over a dollar to pick up a dime.

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809729 is a reply to message #809728 ]
Mon, 04 July 2022 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 04 July 2022 14:34

Sigh.

When they buy out Kassian, it'll signal the beginning of a new four year plan where they try to outthink themselves into finding more cap space. The Oilers will not be able to contend if they're handing 4 million dollars of cap space over to buyouts this year.

Kassian .66
Sekera 1.5
Neal 1.9

By the way, Kassian's cap hit (when bought out) next year is 1.8 meaning, with Neal's buyout hit, they'll be wasting 3.7 next season. They won't contend next year either and will once again be looking to do stupid things to free up cap space.

This is penny stupid and pound stupid. It's bending over a dollar to pick up a dime.

This is why I, the biggest JP fan on this site, have come to terms with using JP to offload Kassian of need be.

Don’t. Buy. Him. Out.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809733 is a reply to message #809729 ]
Mon, 04 July 2022 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

well, when we run into problems in 2 years, we'll just buy out Campbell. That'll save us 3 mil that year.

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809735 is a reply to message #809733 ]
Mon, 04 July 2022 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Mon, 04 July 2022 15:34

well, when we run into problems in 2 years, we'll just buy out Campbell. That'll save us 3 mil that year.

People don’t see the savings you get from buying everyone out, they only look at the cap hit

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809736 is a reply to message #809735 ]
Mon, 04 July 2022 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 04 July 2022 15:53

Dragon_Matt wrote on Mon, 04 July 2022 15:34

People don’t see the savings you get from buying everyone out, they only look at the cap hit

Cash savings, cap savings, and increasing ticket prices does seem important.

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809747 is a reply to message #809729 ]
Tue, 05 July 2022 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 04 July 2022 17:53

This is why I, the biggest JP fan on this site, have come to terms with using JP to offload Kassian of need be.

Don’t. Buy. Him. Out.

100% agree on the don’t buy him out. But 100% disagree that they should pay JP to avoid doing. That would be a monumental overpay for a marginal cap dump. Like I said before, Kassian is still an OK player. Just gets paid too much. A mid round pick or B/C level prospect should be sufficient.

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809749 is a reply to message #809747 ]
Tue, 05 July 2022 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 05 July 2022 00:41

Don’t. Buy. Him. Out.

100% agree on the don’t buy him out. But 100% disagree that they should pay JP to avoid doing. That would be a monumental overpay for a marginal cap dump. Like I said before, Kassian is still an OK player. Just gets paid too much. A mid round pick or B/C level prospect should be sufficient.

This is true. They don't have to do something destructive to not buy out Kassian. They could just not buy out Kassian. I'm not buying out Kassian right now! It's simple and easy.

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809762 is a reply to message #809749 ]
Tue, 05 July 2022 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 05 July 2022 08:11

Don’t. Buy. Him. Out.

This is true. They don't have to do something destructive to not buy out Kassian. They could just not buy out Kassian. I'm not buying out Kassian right now! It's simple and easy.

According to DNB, the Oilers really want Keith to come back, so not jumping through all the hoops to convince him to leave. That does seem like the best route to clearing a lot of cap space so you can better spend it elsewhere but management is...challenged when it comes to making decisions like that.

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809765 is a reply to message #809762 ]
Tue, 05 July 2022 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 05 July 2022 10:14

Don’t. Buy. Him. Out.

According to DNB, the Oilers really want Keith to come back, so not jumping through all the hoops to convince him to leave. That does seem like the best route to clearing a lot of cap space so you can better spend it elsewhere but management is...challenged when it comes to making decisions like that.

I was shocked/not shocked to read that. Initially it was disbelief that Edmonton would want that cap hit back, and then a somber gut wrenching kick to the nards feeling that it may be Keith talking about retirement and ol'Kenny is wooing him back.

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809828 is a reply to message #809762 ]
Tue, 05 July 2022 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 05 July 2022 09:14

Don’t. Buy. Him. Out.

Once you factor in Duncan Keith’s mentorship assists to Bouchard, how could you not want to bring back a 64 point defenseman?

Clean house or bust

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809829 is a reply to message #809828 ]
Tue, 05 July 2022 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 05 July 2022 16:40

Don’t. Buy. Him. Out.

Once you factor in Duncan Keith’s mentorship assists to Bouchard, how could you not want to bring back a 64 point defenseman?

69 point defenseman.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809831 is a reply to message #809829 ]
Tue, 05 July 2022 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 05 July 2022 16:49

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 05 July 2022 16:40

Don’t. Buy. Him. Out.

69 point defenseman.

Ha. Nice.

And of course they aren’t going to say “we don’t want Duncan to return”.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809739 is a reply to message #809728 ]
Mon, 04 July 2022 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 04 July 2022 14:34

Sigh.

Kassian .66
Sekera 1.5
Neal 1.9

Well, for better or for worse, the next week should show us whether the management has learned from any of their mistakes.

The Tampa Bay Lightning have managed to make McDonough and Tyler Johnson's contracts disappear without future impact to their salary cap. As it sits today, the Lightning have not a cent of dead cap, while the Oilers have over $3MM already - without any more buyouts. People can talk all they will about the advantages of no state income tax in Florida, but if we're just voluntarily playing with almost 5% less space to begin with (and over 5% if we do any buyouts), then we are the ones disadvantaging ourselves most.

Worth noting, if we go in to this year with only $3MM dead cap, that's still probably the best we've been on that front in the last 5 years. McDavid's prime and we keep playing with one arm tied behind our backs...

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809974 is a reply to message #809002 ]
Thu, 07 July 2022 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

DD says possible trade to PHX
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1545225151209476097

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #809975 is a reply to message #809002 ]
Thu, 07 July 2022 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Done. And no JP sweetener. Buuut a heck of a draft pick bouquet accompanying Kass to Arizona.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #810009 is a reply to message #809975 ]
Thu, 07 July 2022 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 19:21

Done. And no JP sweetener. Buuut a heck of a draft pick bouquet accompanying Kass to Arizona.

IMO essentially only the 2nd (2024) + 3rd (2025).. I think they would have picked Reid Schaeffer at 29 anyway. Its 2 and 3 years away.. lots of time to try and get them back.

I think this is going to go to help buy us a goalie.

But Oil now have a big vacancy for a physical player..

Love to get Mason Marchment in addition to Kane.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #810025 is a reply to message #810009 ]
Thu, 07 July 2022 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 21:14

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 19:21

IMO essentially only the 2nd (2024) + 3rd (2025).. I think they would have picked Reid Schaeffer at 29 anyway. Its 2 and 3 years away.. lots of time to try and get them back.

I think this is going to go to help buy us a goalie.

But Oil now have a big vacancy for a physical player..

Love to get Mason Marchment in addition to Kane.

I am completely on board with the cost to flush Kassian...so long as the Oilers don't blow it with the cap space available.

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #810048 is a reply to message #810025 ]
Fri, 08 July 2022 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

I am thrilled with getting rid of Kassian for what they gave up. They gave up a second 3 years from not and a 3rd 2 yrs from now. If things go like they should, those should be low picks and you can always recoup some.

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #810093 is a reply to message #809002 ]
Fri, 08 July 2022 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

unforced error that cost edmonton two potential future players, but also trade chips to improve the team at the deadline. This is all Holland from start to finish and he should get only the smallest amount of credit for sending Kassian off.

A two year deal given out in 2020 gives you all your assets back (and maybe keeps Kassian hungry to perform).

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #810110 is a reply to message #810093 ]
Fri, 08 July 2022 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Maybe Holland learns from his mistakes….heh heh….ha….hahahah……Bahahaha

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #810173 is a reply to message #810110 ]
Fri, 08 July 2022 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I’m just glad this thread worked.

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #810174 is a reply to message #810173 ]
Fri, 08 July 2022 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 08 July 2022 19:55

Foegele buyout incomming!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #810175 is a reply to message #810174 ]
Fri, 08 July 2022 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 08 July 2022 19:59

Shut up. That’s not true, is it?

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #810177 is a reply to message #810175 ]
Fri, 08 July 2022 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 08 July 2022 20:00

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 08 July 2022 19:59

Shut up. That’s not true, is it?

No. Lol

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Don't Buy Out Zack Kassian [message #810178 is a reply to message #810177 ]
Fri, 08 July 2022 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
addicted2oil  is currently offline addicted2oil

No Cups

Have you heard any rumblings of signing targets other than Strome like you hinted?

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Dylan Strome
Next Topic:Connor Brown
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca