This day on April 28
None

Happy Birthday To: Oilerfan in Tulsa, rrathel716

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5)Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807824 is a reply to message #807821 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 29 May 2022 22:19

nullterm wrote on Sat, 28 May 2022 23:57

Adam wrote on Sat, 28 May 2022 21:43

benv wrote on Sat, 28 May 2022 10:55

inverno76 wrote on Sat, 28 May 2022 10:08

oilfan94 wrote on Sat, 28 May 2022 09:39

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 28 May 2022 11:18

inverno76 wrote on Sat, 28 May 2022 09:00

I hate to get negative here with our team waiting to start the WCF, but I truly believe the biggest reason we are where we are right now, comes from Woodcroft and Manson’s coaching (inking these 2 to a deal better be the top priority of the summer). .

And Kane finishing touches….

Holland promoted from within, which was the right call. He better do the right thing again and extend these two.

Holland has still handcuffed this team from re-signing Kane, Kulak and getting a goalie upgrade in the offseason. Here is to hoping Holloway, Skinner and Broberg can take the Bouchard leap next year.

Idgaf about the offseason right now, we’re literally in the middle of Must season. Enjoy the ride, the rest is simply noise to take the focus off. Put up the blinders and LFGOOOOILERS!!!!

This exactly. We all love hockey for the big moments and want to win a cup. We all know that the off-season will eventually come, win or lose. Right now, we are a couple days removed from beating Calgary and are 1 of the last 4 teams left in the NHL witnessing some of the greatest hockey players play the best hockey of their lives. For all the stress the games cause, I'm happy we are here and hope it lasts as long as it can!

You’re both right.

It’s just a new feeling I’m experiencing and I’m not handling it well. Pessimism is hard to shake.

LFFFFFFGGGGG!!

And let's not forget that the win against Calgary means that the Oilers will at best pick 29th at the draft this year. It will be even worse if they do anymore winning. Haven't we been trained to think it's all about the draft position? Come on Oilers get your s**t together.

I was thinking about this the other day, and about our GM's belief that that pick was untouchable because the Oilers weren't in the top 6 or 7 teams in the league at the time...

Definitely hope that the team makes that look even dumber yet.

We have an immediate shot while we have Kane right now before he runs off to UFA money. So make the most of where we are and damned be our draft position. If he's gone, I don't think our roster has the same firepower for a deep run like we are on now.

Yup. That first round pick could have got us a better goalie

Who's that better goalie that was available?

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807825 is a reply to message #807824 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 08:05

I hate to get negative here with our team waiting to start the WCF, but I truly believe the biggest reason we are where we are right now, comes from Woodcroft and Manson’s coaching (inking these 2 to a deal better be the top priority of the summer). .

Holland promoted from within, which was the right call. He better do the right thing again and extend these two.

Holland has still handcuffed this team from re-signing Kane, Kulak and getting a goalie upgrade in the offseason. Here is to hoping Holloway, Skinner and Broberg can take the Bouchard leap next year.

Idgaf about the offseason right now, we’re literally in the middle of Must season. Enjoy the ride, the rest is simply noise to take the focus off. Put up the blinders and LFGOOOOILERS!!!!

This exactly. We all love hockey for the big moments and want to win a cup. We all know that the off-season will eventually come, win or lose. Right now, we are a couple days removed from beating Calgary and are 1 of the last 4 teams left in the NHL witnessing some of the greatest hockey players play the best hockey of their lives. For all the stress the games cause, I'm happy we are here and hope it lasts as long as it can!

You’re both right.

It’s just a new feeling I’m experiencing and I’m not handling it well. Pessimism is hard to shake.

LFFFFFFGGGGG!!

And let's not forget that the win against Calgary means that the Oilers will at best pick 29th at the draft this year. It will be even worse if they do anymore winning. Haven't we been trained to think it's all about the draft position? Come on Oilers get your s**t together.

I was thinking about this the other day, and about our GM's belief that that pick was untouchable because the Oilers weren't in the top 6 or 7 teams in the league at the time...

We have an immediate shot while we have Kane right now before he runs off to UFA money. So make the most of where we are and damned be our draft position. If he's gone, I don't think our roster has the same firepower for a deep run like we are on now.

Well, we'll never know now, will we?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807826 is a reply to message #807825 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 08:24

You’re both right.

LFFFFFFGGGGG!!

Nice cop out.

I don't love Smith but I have a hard time thinking even with his gafs, there was a better goalie available. He's won 8 games, has a 2.70 GA and a .927 with 2 shutouts. Kuemper has a 2.44 and .904. If you are going to spend a 1st, you better make sure the player you bring back is a clear upgrade.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807828 is a reply to message #807826 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 08:28

Nice cop out.

I don't love Smith but I have a hard time thinking even with his gafs, there was a better goalie available. He's won 8 games, has a 2.70 GA and a .927 with 2 shutouts. Kuemper has a 2.44 and .904. If you are going to spend a 1st, you better make sure the player you bring back is a clear upgrade.

Smart defensive system makes a big difference.

Smith single-handedly gave the Kings Game 1 and allowed in a goal from a different area code against Calgary. He let in about 7-8 bad goals in the Flames series, but we outscored our problems. I think it's safe to say it is a position where the Oilers could upgrade.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807829 is a reply to message #807828 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 08:39

Nice cop out.

Smith single-handedly gave the Kings Game 1 and allowed in a goal from a different area code against Calgary. He let in about 7-8 bad goals in the Flames series, but we outscored our problems.

So what?

Are they not in the conference final? You are happy they made it right or would you prefer them not to make it this far so far, so you can do more I told you so's?

Blows my mind how I see all the time various players still get hated on. They are in the West Finals but players will make many great plays to help them win "YEAH BUT remember ...." I have said it before and I stand by this comment. I think there are fans of this team who if they win the cup, will complain about how they won it, will complain about a trade or a signing or something. Smith is top 5 in save percentage and got them into the Western Final beating out a supposed cup contender in the Flames in 5 "YEAH BUT he gave up that bad goal in game 1 of the Kings and has let in so bad goals."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807832 is a reply to message #807829 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 08:58

Nice cop out.

Smith single-handedly gave the Kings Game 1 and allowed in a goal from a different area code against Calgary. He let in about 7-8 bad goals in the Flames series, but we outscored our problems.

So what?

Are they not in the conference final? You are happy they made it right or would you prefer them not to make it this far so far, so you can do more I told you so's?

Blows my mind how I see all the time various players still get hated on. They are in the West Finals but players will make many great plays to help them win "YEAH BUT remember ...." I have said it before and I stand by this comment. I think there are fans of this team who if they win the cup, will complain about how they won it, will complain about a trade or a signing or something. Smith is top 5 in save percentage and got them into the Western Final beating out a supposed cup contender in the Flames in 5 "YEAH BUT he gave up that bad goal in game 1 of the Kings and has let in so bad goals."

Why can't people be happy the team is doing well AND discuss the process of how they got here? What's wrong with trying to figure out if they're actually a good team or if they got a little lucky by facing a bad team that almost beat them and a goalie who historically collapsed? Can they repeat their success against Colorado by outscoring their problems? Maybe. But I have my concerns and since I have to wait a couple days to find out, we might as well talk about it.

It's less about that one bad goal in game whatever and more about figuring out how they somehow won a series despite giving up 20 goals and 3 leads. That series could have easily been 3-2 Calgary after 5, it wasn't but it also wasn't the 5 game blow out some people seem to think it was.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807834 is a reply to message #807832 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 09:37

Nice cop out.

So what?

Why can't people be happy the team is doing well AND discuss the process of how they got here? What's wrong with trying to figure out if they're actually a good team or if they got a little lucky by facing a bad team that almost beat them and a goalie who historically collapsed? Can they repeat their success against Colorado by outscoring their problems? Maybe. But I have my concerns and since I have to wait a couple days to find out, we might as well talk about it.

It's less about that one bad goal in game whatever and more about figuring out how they somehow won a series despite giving up 20 goals and 3 leads. That series could have easily been 3-2 Calgary after 5, it wasn't but it also wasn't the 5 game blow out some people seem to think it was.

I would turn it around and say what is your ultimate goal for the team? Do you want them to win as many games as they can, the dream being the cup or win a certain way? If the Oilers win every game 6-5 but win the cup, does the cup win mean a little less than if they won every game 2-0?

So I still stand by my comment. The Oilers are in the Western Conference final since 2006 which everyone wanted. To do it, the Oilers beat down their arch rivals in 5 games. IN order to make it this far, you need good goaltending which for the most part, they got it so far. The comment was made they should have used their 1st to get a better goalie. You look at Smith's numbers and gafs and all, his numbers are pretty darn good but they should have went out and traded for a better guy. Don't know who that better goalie is but they should have got one. Fleury, the big name out there, who was deemed the best available but would not come to Edmonton, went to the Wild. It cost the Wild a 1st to get 5 games, 3.04 GA and .906%.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807840 is a reply to message #807834 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 09:53

I would turn it around and say what is your ultimate goal for the team? Do you want them to win as many games as they can, the dream being the cup or win a certain way? If the Oilers win every game 6-5 but win the cup, does the cup win mean a little less than if they won every game 2-0?

So I still stand by my comment. The Oilers are in the Western Conference final since 2006 which everyone wanted. To do it, the Oilers beat down their arch rivals in 5 games. IN order to make it this far, you need good goaltending which for the most part, they got it so far. The comment was made they should have used their 1st to get a better goalie. You look at Smith's numbers and gafs and all, his numbers are pretty darn good but they should have went out and traded for a better guy. Don't know who that better goalie is but they should have got one. Fleury, the big name out there, who was deemed the best available but would not come to Edmonton, went to the Wild. It cost the Wild a 1st to get 5 games, 3.04 GA and .906%.

What's my goal for the team? I want to be entertained and have something else to do and think about during the hockey season. We're discussing hockey during a workday morning 32 hours before game time. Of course I want them to win tomorrow. But once we get done agreeing we prefer our team to win, what's left? I'm in an all day meeting talking about the Safety Standard Manual and we're going in depth on the difference in training needed for helicopter and fixed wing craft. I need, not want, need to be able to go more in depth than just agreeing we'd like the Oilers win. Ironically, I'm doing a presentation on managing hazard fatigue. I guarantee you I would have been more fatigued had game six happened Saturday night.

Smith was not good against Calgary and the Oilers, in my opinion, are fortunate to have won. That Smith was not good was both predictable and creates warranted concern for the upcoming series. The Fleury argument is a strawman and not really germane to anything that's going on here.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807846 is a reply to message #807840 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 10:24

What's my goal for the team? I want to be entertained and have something else to do and think about during the hockey season. We're discussing hockey during a workday morning 32 hours before game time. Of course I want them to win tomorrow. But once we get done agreeing we prefer our team to win, what's left? I'm in an all day meeting talking about the Safety Standard Manual and we're going in depth on the difference in training needed for helicopter and fixed wing craft. I need, not want, need to be able to go more in depth than just agreeing we'd like the Oilers win. Ironically, I'm doing a presentation on managing hazard fatigue. I guarantee you I would have been more fatigued had game six happened Saturday night.

Smith was not good against Calgary and the Oilers, in my opinion, are fortunate to have won. That Smith was not good was both predictable and creates warranted concern for the upcoming series. The Fleury argument is a strawman and not really germane to anything that's going on here.

It's notable that the mistakes we've pointed out Holland making are still the most glaring issues as the team goes through the playoffs. The goalie's been weak. Duncan Keith is beyond his best before date and has been the worst defender by far. Hilarious to see people giving him credit for how well Bouchard is playing, rather than giving Bouchard credit for carrying a guy who's clearly lost a step. Archibald is the worst forward, with an honourable mention to Kassian.

What is different? The top end of this team is playing WAY up. Consider - three more points for McDavid and Draisaitl and they're suddenly in the top-40 all-time for scoring in a playoff series. As far as I can tell, the only people ahead of them who didn't make the Finals are 1996 Mario Lemieux (1994 - 27 points in 3 rounds), Doug Gilmour in 1994 (28 points in 3 rounds), and Barry Pederson and Rick Middleton in 1983 (32 & 33 points in 3 rounds). They're scoring at a rate we haven't seen since Gretzky was in his prime. That is amazing to witness. It's made for a lot of fun. But hopefully it doesn't blind this team to reality and make us think the goaltending is fine, or the GM is fine, or Duncan Keith still has it.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807836 is a reply to message #807832 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 09:37

Nice cop out.

So what?

Exactly.

I love the success. I am really happy that Smith is playing well enough to win, and that Duncan Keith, despite mediocre play, hasn't cost us a game since the LA series. I would be thrilled to see Josh Archibald carrying the Cup around Rogers Place.

But I also want to see enduring success and I think key to that is not drawing any inaccurate conclusions about this team and how it was constructed. I think Holland was potentially getting fired with a first round exit. Making the semi-finals, or even winning a Cup doesn't redeem him. He blundered around, but he happens to have two of the best players on the planet and they're playing ridiculously well right now. Best case scenario, we win the Cup and he immediately retires to go out as a winner - fondly remembered by fans who only see the result and not the flawed process.

I think it makes sense to constantly evaluate and to not get too high on the success to see the things that need changing or to understand what really makes you successful and what holds you back. Case in point - you may have seen lots of people criticizing Josh Archibald on twitter. Old school view is you don't change a winning lineup, but you look at the results when he's on the ice - the Oilers getting outscored 5-0 in less than half a game worth of ice-time versus Calgary - and you realize that he was a tremendous liability in the series, and we were lucky to be able to outscore all his mistakes. Based on that, the coach SHOULD be making a lineup adjustment with Colorado, because there's no guarantee we can score 5 goals a game in the next round, so not ideal to have someone give up a goal every 5 minutes of ice time. That's not hating on the player - that's understanding that the team isn't perfect and that it can be improved.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807838 is a reply to message #807824 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 07:05

You’re both right.

LFFFFFFGGGGG!!

Well Friedman said today on the 32 Thoughts podcast that the Oilers did not trade for Kuemper in the offseason because Arizona wanted a 1st rounder.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807839 is a reply to message #807838 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 10:11

You’re both right.

LFFFFFFGGGGG!!

Well Friedman said today on the 32 Thoughts podcast that the Oilers did not trade for Kuemper in the offseason because Arizona wanted a 1st rounder.

I personally wanted them to try to get him but has Kuemper been better than Smith in the playoffs? No. Kuemper has probably made less eye catching mistakes than Smith but numbers wise, Smith has put up way better numbers.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807841 is a reply to message #807839 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 09:16

You’re both right.

LFFFFFFGGGGG!!

I personally wanted them to try to get him but has Kuemper been better than Smith in the playoffs? No. Kuemper has probably made less eye catching mistakes than Smith but numbers wise, Smith has put up way better numbers.

Wouldn’t it be great to have both?

What tandem gives you more confidence, Smith-Koskinen or Smith-Kuemper

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807842 is a reply to message #807841 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 10:34

You’re both right.

LFFFFFFGGGGG!!

What's your point? The trade was made 10 months ago. The Oilers made an offer, Avs out bid them. Flash forward 10 months from then and the Oilers and Avs are in the West Finals. The Oilers rolled with what they had and it worked so far. I have no idea how the series will go goaltending wise. I gave the edge in goaltending to the Flames last series and it wasn't close, Smith was the better of the 2 even with his mistakes.

Could I see Smith outplaying Kuemper? Sure, why not, he's out played the last 2. I am cheering for the guys they have. Ifs/maybes of the past don't do anything for the team. At the start of the year, I wanted the Oilers to be where they are right now, in the West Finals with a chance to play for the cup. How they got here, I wouldn't have cared.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 May 2022 10:49]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807844 is a reply to message #807841 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 10:34

You’re both right.

LFFFFFFGGGGG!!

IMO, the only reason Kuemper is even playing now is because the Avs play takes so much pressure off goalies. He would be in a full body cast if he was an Oiler :) Guy would get injured just making routine saves as the Coyotes left him out to dry over and over. I know you never know with injuries, but Kuemper is unique. Even Colorado was debating having to trade for another starter this deadline because they knew they were depending on a glass man.

Hopefully we can test him hard and make his body explode!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807848 is a reply to message #807839 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 10:16

You’re both right.

LFFFFFFGGGGG!!

So numbers only matter when it comes to a goalie? Other than that you’d rather see Archibald and his “hits” get outscored in embarrassing fashion than have Puljujarvi and his turnover, pressure ability while continually being a positive impact on linemates numbers?

Are you Stauffer? Tracy? Spec?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807849 is a reply to message #807848 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 12:37

You’re both right.

LFFFFFFGGGGG!!

So numbers only matter when it comes to a goalie? Other than that you’d rather see Archibald and his “hits” get outscored in embarrassing fashion than have Puljujarvi and his turnover, pressure ability while continually being a positive impact on linemates numbers?

Where have I said I'd prefer Archibald on the ice over JP?

I've wanted JP to produce more. If he does, it helps the team win.
I've wanted JP to finish more of the golden chances he gets set up for because it will help the OIlers win.,
I've wanted JP to use his giant body more consistently because if he did, he'd be a more effective player.
I've wanted all these wonderful numbers that he apparently has to result in physical goals because it will help the team win. Expected this and expected back is great and shows a trend that if he keeps doing this or that, eventually it will go in. A playoff series is a short time frame so there tends to be not a ton of time to build towards something.

I have said that when it comes to Archibald that while I don't love the player, I am going to default to Woodcroft about if he plays or not. Woodcroft got the Oilers here so I... a fan.. am not going to pick apart his decision because I don't do hockey for a living, he does. So if Woodcroft wants a guy like Archibald, warts and all, who is just there to hit guys in the line up, I am prepared to accept that.

I don't get where your comment is coming from.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 May 2022 13:01]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807857 is a reply to message #807849 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 12:47

You’re both right.

LFFFFFFGGGGG!!

I've wanted JP to finish more of the golden chances he gets set up for because it will help the OIlers win.,
I've wanted JP to use his giant body more consistently because if he did, he'd be a more effective player.
I've wanted all these wonderful numbers that he apparently has to result in physical goals because it will help the team win. Expected this and expected back is great and shows a trend that if he keeps doing this or that, eventually it will go in. A playoff series is a short time frame so there tends to be not a ton of time to build towards something.

I have said that when it comes to Archibald that while I don't love the player, I am going to default to Woodcroft about if he plays or not. Woodcroft got the Oilers here so I... a fan.. am not going to pick apart his decision because I don't do hockey for a living, he does. So if Woodcroft wants a guy like Archibald, warts and all, who is just there to hit guys in the line up, I am prepared to accept that.

Not to dig up old posts, but you have posted numerous times this playoffs how you thought it might be time for Puljujarvi to take a seat in the Press Box. That goes completely against your Woodcroft knows more than us mentality.

At least Jesse's underlying numbers show a positive correlation to on-ice performance. Arch's underlying numbers match his actual numbers....crap.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807861 is a reply to message #807857 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 14:38

You’re both right.

LFFFFFFGGGGG!!

Not to dig up old posts, but you have posted numerous times this playoffs how you thought it might be time for Puljujarvi to take a seat in the Press Box. That goes completely against your Woodcroft knows more than us mentality.

At least Jesse's underlying numbers show a positive correlation to on-ice performance. Arch's underlying numbers match his actual numbers....crap.

You will have to point it out to me then. I have went back in my profile and looked up my previous messages from the start of the playoffs and I haven't been able to find where I said I would sit JP over Arch.
I've wanted more effort from JP. I have expressed frustration over his lack of finishing, his unwillingness to use his big frame. I've debated that he needs to turn all these expected advanced stats into real goals because the playoffs are short. I suggested early on in the Kings series to drop JP down to bulk up the 3rd line when Nuge was centering it.

I've looked through pages and pages of my old messages and I couldn't find where I said sit him down for Archibald.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807862 is a reply to message #807861 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 15:07

You’re both right.

LFFFFFFGGGGG!!

You will have to point it out to me then. I have went back in my profile and looked up my previous messages from the start of the playoffs and I haven't been able to find where I said I would sit JP over Arch.
I've wanted more effort from JP. I have expressed frustration over his lack of finishing, his unwillingness to use his big frame. I've debated that he needs to turn all these expected advanced stats into real goals because the playoffs are short. I suggested early on in the Kings series to drop JP down to bulk up the 3rd line when Nuge was centering it.

I've looked through pages and pages of my old messages and I couldn't find where I said sit him down for Archibald.

I did not say sit Puljujarvi for Archibald, just it is time for him to take a seat because he was not performing.

This is no different than someone saying it is time for Archibald to grab a bucket of popcorn and bugger off to the PB, except one appears to be more deserving off the benching.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 May 2022 15:20]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807864 is a reply to message #807862 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 15:18

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 15:07

You’re both right.

LFFFFFFGGGGG!!

I did not say sit Puljujarvi for Archibald, just it is time for him to take a seat because he was not performing.

This is no different than someone saying it is time for Archibald to grab a bucket of popcorn and bugger off to the PB, except one appears to be more deserving off the benching.

Again you will have to show me. You said I have called for it numerous times but like I said, I looked through many, many, many pages of my posts and I couldn't see one where I said he needed to sit. Maybe I missed it but if it was numerous like you said, I don't think I would have missed it.

I did say in the Kings Pregame thread on the first page that I thought he wasn't handling the puck very well and they should consider dropping him out of the top 6 as they needed to have guys who were going up there. But I didn't say he should sit in the pressbox.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 May 2022 15:40]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807867 is a reply to message #807864 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I hope I did not call you out unnecessarily, but I will take a look the best I can through the search function when I have a moment or an hour.

Your love for the 4th liners and disdain towards to the Bison King may have clouded my judgment/response. I apologize if I misspoke.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807869 is a reply to message #807867 ]
Mon, 30 May 2022 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 30 May 2022 15:43

I hope I did not call you out unnecessarily, but I will take a look the best I can through the search function when I have a moment or an hour.

Your love for the 4th liners and disdain towards to the Bison King may have clouded my judgment/response. I apologize if I misspoke.

I don't love 4th liners, I just defer to the decisions of the coach. If he thinks there is use for a guy like Archibald and wants his position to do something specific, I personally think someone else probably does things better in certain situations but again, I am not paid to make those calls Woody is. I thought Archiballd was better in the first series than Calgary. With the Avs being less of a bang and crash team, I do wonder if he makes a call on Archibald or Kassian and dresses only 1.

I have ZERO distain for JP, all I want is for results. Playoff series are short so you need guys to contribute right away. He does lots of subtle things that no doubt help the team but in a series that can last barely 2 weeks, you need guys to bury some goals when you get opportunities. That's all I want. He finally got 1 in game 5. I hope that gives him a lift and he can get a few more because getting guys like him, McLeod, Foegele, Nuge needs to keep going, will be key for the Oilers.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807901 is a reply to message #807869 ]
Tue, 31 May 2022 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

If the default is 'defer to the coach' then what's the point in discussing what any changes we think should be made are?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807929 is a reply to message #807578 ]
Tue, 31 May 2022 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Best one I've seen so far, from @Isuckatpicking

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FUCNh79UcAAcvbA?format=jpg&name=small

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5) [message #807930 is a reply to message #807929 ]
Tue, 31 May 2022 14:54 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Who won Miss America Mr. Harvey?

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #1)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #5)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca