This day on April 26
None

Happy Birthday To: Hemmer2Eberle, Burgeoboy, Weloveoil

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » 2021 Training Camp threadPages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792357 is a reply to message #792337 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 28 September 2021 22:19

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 28 September 2021 22:16

Seattle did not look, but everything was for the Oil. I realize they had a NHL lineup going, but they looked sharp.

Perlini has a great shot, huge and can skate. He’s finishing the puck from distance. It would be unreal to cash in on a value deal. Although there is no reason to stir things up, I’d like to see what he could do in the top 6. He’s ripping Turris passes. Imagine him flanking Draisaitl?

I’m admittedly in full Koolaid mode.

I think I just saw your pants fly by!

I had toss out some gitch in the first period. Good times.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792342 is a reply to message #792336 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 28 September 2021 22:16

Seattle did not look, but everything was for the Oil. I realize they had a NHL lineup going, but they looked sharp.

Perlini has a great shot, huge and can skate. He’s finishing the puck from distance. It would be unreal to cash in on a value deal. Although there is no reason to stir things up, I’d like to see what he could do in the top 6. He’s ripping Turris passes. Imagine him flanking Draisaitl?

I’m admittedly in full Koolaid mode.

How good is the rest of his game? Away from the puck etc?

I haven’t seen him play yet.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792344 is a reply to message #792342 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I know it's preseason and there has been many a guy who looked great in camp then fizzled out when the season got real but Perlini seems to look really good. 3 goals in 2 preseason games a guy has to try to stay calm about but it's still 3 goals in 2 games and they aren't just lucky bounces or beating bad goalies, he's sniping them! 6'3, 211lbs, skates really well, he was drafted 12th overall so clearly he has skill. Only 25. Lots to like.

He in my mind is starting to pull away from Benson. Benson needs to do something substantial real quick in my opinion. Yes it sounds like he has had an OK camp but just being solid, just playing a "smart, cerebral game" isn't enough. He has to produce, he has to stand out and so far he's not.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792345 is a reply to message #792344 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 29 September 2021 08:40

I know it's preseason and there has been many a guy who looked great in camp then fizzled out when the season got real but Perlini seems to look really good. 3 goals in 2 preseason games a guy has to try to stay calm about but it's still 3 goals in 2 games and they aren't just lucky bounces or beating bad goalies, he's sniping them! 6'3, 211lbs, skates really well, he was drafted 12th overall so clearly he has skill. Only 25. Lots to like.

He in my mind is starting to pull away from Benson. Benson needs to do something substantial real quick in my opinion. Yes it sounds like he has had an OK camp but just being solid, just playing a "smart, cerebral game" isn't enough. He has to produce, he has to stand out and so far he's not.

No coach should ever make any decisions on two games when there is a slew of information available to him on both players. Hot streaks aren't what you build your team around.

I don't think it's an either/or thing for these two players. We have room for 13-14 forwards when we break camp, so there's room for both to make the team, especially with one forward deciding his conspiracy theories are more important than the team. Benson is waiver eligible, and I don't see the Oilers risking him being lost that route.

Playing a "smart cerebral game" seems like a good thing to me. What exactly are you hoping for from him? His line did manage 10 shots against the Flames and apparently outplayed the opposition badly all night long.

Perlini's been really good in his first two outings. He has 3 goals and 8 shots. He's definitely showing himself well, but two games shouldn't determine the roster. Ever.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792348 is a reply to message #792345 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 29 September 2021 09:11

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 29 September 2021 08:40

No coach should ever make any decisions on two games when there is a slew of information available to him on both players. Hot streaks aren't what you build your team around.

I don't think it's an either/or thing for these two players. We have room for 13-14 forwards when we break camp, so there's room for both to make the team, especially with one forward deciding his conspiracy theories are more important than the team. Benson is waiver eligible, and I don't see the Oilers risking him being lost that route.

Playing a "smart cerebral game" seems like a good thing to me. What exactly are you hoping for from him? His line did manage 10 shots against the Flames and apparently outplayed the opposition badly all night long.

Perlini's been really good in his first two outings. He has 3 goals and 8 shots. He's definitely showing himself well, but two games shouldn't determine the roster. Ever.

There is still lots of time, all I am saying is if Benson wants to make the team, he needs to start getting noticed. Just making subtle plays isn't enough, he needs to get noticed. It's early, I 100% get that. I don't have Perlini making the team yet but he's getting noticed. He's doing something to stand out so far.

The Oilers are a team that needs to hit the ground running and to do that, they need to have a team full of guys that fit certain roles, are playing well and doing something to make contribute. You can disagree with me all you want but the team making roster decision with a players waiver eligibility as a major factor is stupid thinking. If you have 2 players who are so close, it's literally a coin flip as to who should make it and who should go down and one has waiver issues, then sure, pick the guy who you can just send down without waivers. But if 1 player is better than the other, picking the worse player all because of his waiver status is what losing teams do in my opinion. The point is to put together a roster that gives you the best chance to win, so pick the best players you can.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792347 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

https://twitter.com/edmontonoilers/status/144300107490271232 8?s=21

Could watch that over and over all day icon_biggrin

Chia would have traded Jesse for a 3rd

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792350 is a reply to message #792347 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 29 September 2021 09:21

Pants have a mind of their own after this

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792352 is a reply to message #792350 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Twitter link to Wednesday September 29 pre-season game.

https://twitter.com/TomGazzola

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792354 is a reply to message #792352 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 29 September 2021 10:30

If the Oilers beat the Jets with that line up, better start planning the parade. icon_lol

Foegele - McLeod - Kassian are the only guys who are legit on the team. Benson and Sceviour are maybes and are probably not full timers. Then there is 3 NHL dman, with a part timer maybe in Lagesson.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792361 is a reply to message #792352 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 29 September 2021 10:30

Skinner and Konovalov again.

Is Rodrigue injured? I would have thought they would have at least given him a half game tonight.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792358 is a reply to message #792350 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 29 September 2021 10:15

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 29 September 2021 09:21

Pants have a mind of their own after this

McDavid’s Finnish is really improving.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792353 is a reply to message #792347 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Man, I wish that they could just make Jesse a custom helmet though. It's like the damned thing is a bird's nest on top of his head. It's not even pulled back at all and he's looking UNDERNEATH the visor.

Just get the man a custom-made helmet already. Yeezus.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792374 is a reply to message #792353 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Wed, 29 September 2021 09:44

Just get the man a custom-made helmet already. Yeezus.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/nx4kxssPURU/hqdefault.jpg

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792359 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Apparently Archibald has an unknown ailment that is keeping him out of practice even though he's cleared to join the team.

Jim Matheson @jimmathesonnhl
As we said couple of days ago, Archibald isn’t feeling right. No message sending by team at all to keep him away from practices. The unvaxxed player’s quarantine ended about week ago. Undergoing bloodwork. Covid tests all good

At what point is a fringe NHLer becoming too much of a pain to not just turn him into 1.125M of free cap space?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792360 is a reply to message #792359 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 29 September 2021 12:18

Apparently Archibald has an unknown ailment that is keeping him out of practice even though he's cleared to join the team.

As we said couple of days ago, Archibald isn’t feeling right. No message sending by team at all to keep him away from practices. The unvaxxed player’s quarantine ended about week ago. Undergoing bloodwork. Covid tests all good

At what point is a fringe NHLer becoming too much of a pain to not just turn him into 1.125M of free cap space?

I wonder if this is the start of some "mysterious illness" hitting Archiblad so he can go on LTIR while being an Anti Vaxxer. Not that I care but it would probably look a lot better for him to maybe get a job with another team next year if he was just out for the year "sick" rather than having the team wanting nothing to do with him because of his anti vax views and have to waive him and either send him down or just ask him not to play at all.

Regardless, I think this is the beginning of the end for Archibald.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792362 is a reply to message #792360 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 29 September 2021 12:28

I wonder if this is the start of some "mysterious illness" hitting Archiblad so he can go on LTIR while being an Anti Vaxxer. Not that I care but it would probably look a lot better for him to maybe get a job with another team next year if he was just out for the year "sick" rather than having the team wanting nothing to do with him because of his anti vax views and have to waive him and either send him down or just ask him not to play at all.

Probably would be doing the team a nice favor if this turned into LTIR. 1.5M of space instead of just 1.125M. And he doesn't have to deal with suiting up in the AHL. win-win.

I would honestly be impressed if the Oilers and Archie could make that happen.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792363 is a reply to message #792362 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 29 September 2021 12:31

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 29 September 2021 12:28

Probably would be doing the team a nice favor if this turned into LTIR. 1.5M of space instead of just 1.125M. And he doesn't have to deal with suiting up in the AHL. win-win.

I would honestly be impressed if the Oilers and Archie could make that happen.

Here is the thing. If he gets waived, it sure seems like the amount of players un vaxxed is going to be 10 or less. Archibald is 1, supposedly Hamonic is 1, Blackwood with the Devils is 1, Bertuzzi with the wings is 1. The Islanders had Bode Wilde as unvaxxed and Lou loaned him to the Swedish league. So there is half the unvaxxed. So if you are a team that is 100% vaxxed, I severely doubt you would want to pick up an unvaxxed guy. So I don't think he would get picked up.

So assuming he passes through waivers, does the team even want him playing for Bakersfield? An unvaxxed guy could easily spread Covid to the team and then if a call up is needed, you might be screwed. So it might be in his best interest to not play at all this year.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792370 is a reply to message #792363 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/gameday-jets-vs-oilers-preseas on-game-2/c-326421186

Tonight's line-up:

Forwards - Jansen Harkins, Adam Lowry, David Gustafsson, Austin Poganski, Mike Eyssimont, Paul Stastny, Blake Wheeler, Mark Scheifele, Evgeny Svechnikov, Kyle Connor, Cole Perfetti, Kristian Vesalainen

Defence - Dylan DeMelo, Ville Heinola, Josh Morrissey, Logan Stanley, Johnathan Kovacevic, Nate Schmidt

Goaltenders - Connor Hellebuyck, Mikhail Berdin

--

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792373 is a reply to message #792370 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DrunkCanuck  is currently offline DrunkCanuck

No Cups

Expected Oilers lines:

Foegele - McLeod - Kassian
Benson - Marody - Griffith
Esposito - Malone - Sceviour
Safin - Cracknell - Bourgault
Hamblin

Koekkoek - Bouchard
Lagesson - Ceci
Niemelainen - Kesselring

Konovalov
Skinner

Expected Jets lines:

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Stastny - Lowry - Vesalainen
Harkins - Perfetti - Svechnikov
Eyssimont - Gustafsson - Poganski

Morrissey - Schmidt
Heinola - DeMelo
Stanley - Kovacevic

Connor Hellebuyck
Mikhail Berdin

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792378 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

How come Root Sports and TSN are committed to broadcasting pre-season games, but Rogers couldn't care less in the bigger hockey markets of Edmonton and Calgary?

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792379 is a reply to message #792378 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 29 September 2021 18:06

How come Root Sports and TSN are committed to broadcasting pre-season games, but Rogers couldn't care less in the bigger hockey markets of Edmonton and Calgary?

Forcing the unvaccinated to keep their fake vaccine passports at home instead of flooding bars... I’m okay with it.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792380 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

No Jack Micheals while viewing.

Cherish this.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792381 is a reply to message #792380 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 29 September 2021 18:43

Cherish this.

It is a bit of a trip in the way-back machine to hear Dennis Beyak doing Oiler games.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792382 is a reply to message #792381 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 29 September 2021 19:02

Cherish this.

It is a bit of a trip in the way-back machine to hear Dennis Beyak doing Oiler games.

I couldn’t figure it out. Thanks.

Assumed it was Cam Moon and he just sounds different on TV

[Updated on: Wed, 29 September 2021 19:26]

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792383 is a reply to message #792382 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 29 September 2021 19:19

Cherish this.

It's Cam Moon I think.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792384 is a reply to message #792383 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 29 September 2021 19:20

Cherish this.

It's Cam Moon I think.

Yeah, just heard Bob refer to him as Cam. Sounds a bit different.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792385 is a reply to message #792383 ]
Wed, 29 September 2021 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 29 September 2021 19:20

Cherish this.

It's Cam Moon I think.

Dennis Beyak is doing the call for TSN. The Jets have a local TV partner that actually cares enough to broadcast pre-season games.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792396 is a reply to message #792385 ]
Thu, 30 September 2021 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Some roster moves.

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-oilers-assign-raphael-lavoie-ahl -xavier-bourgault-qmjhl-1.1700505

"2021 first-round pick Xavier Bourgault has also been returned to the Shawinigan Cataractes of the QMJHL"

He'll be back next year. The guys assigned to Bakersfield? Hope the Oilers don't need them as injury replacements this year.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792415 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Fri, 01 October 2021 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Interesting group of players making the trip out to Everett for tonight's game:

Hyman Ryan Yamamoto
Perlini Shore Griffith
Benson McLeod Sceviour
Hamblin Malone Marody

Koekkoek Barrie
Broberg Berglund
Lagesson Kemp

Skinner
Rodrigue

Interesting first line. I presume Hyman and Yamamoto will not play tomorrow thus giving McDavid and Draisaitl some new linemates. Also interesting that Barrie will play without Nurse (and presumably Nurse without Barrie tomorrow).

Glad they are using the pre-season games to experiment.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792417 is a reply to message #792415 ]
Fri, 01 October 2021 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

benv wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 10:17

Hyman Ryan Yamamoto
Perlini Shore Griffith
Benson McLeod Sceviour
Hamblin Malone Marody

Koekkoek Barrie
Broberg Berglund
Lagesson Kemp

Skinner
Rodrigue

Interesting first line. I presume Hyman and Yamamoto will not play tomorrow thus giving McDavid and Draisaitl some new linemates. Also interesting that Barrie will play without Nurse (and presumably Nurse without Barrie tomorrow).

Seems like they want Broberg - Berglund to be a pair. I believe they have been together every single game they have played. I am guessing that will be their main pair in Bakersfield.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792418 is a reply to message #792417 ]
Fri, 01 October 2021 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 10:26

Hyman Ryan Yamamoto
Perlini Shore Griffith
Benson McLeod Sceviour
Hamblin Malone Marody

Koekkoek Barrie
Broberg Berglund
Lagesson Kemp

Skinner
Rodrigue

Seems like they want Broberg - Berglund to be a pair. I believe they have been together every single game they have played. I am guessing that will be their main pair in Bakersfield.

Haven't heard much great news on Broberg lately. Last year a bit of a setback year, and no one projecting much for him this year either. Hopefully he takes a big jump soon - he isn't doing much to make anyone forget Holland ignoring Zegras and Caufield to make a bit of a reach pick...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792419 is a reply to message #792418 ]
Fri, 01 October 2021 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 10:32

Hyman Ryan Yamamoto
Perlini Shore Griffith
Benson McLeod Sceviour
Hamblin Malone Marody

Koekkoek Barrie
Broberg Berglund
Lagesson Kemp

Skinner
Rodrigue

Haven't heard much great news on Broberg lately. Last year a bit of a setback year, and no one projecting much for him this year either. Hopefully he takes a big jump soon - he isn't doing much to make anyone forget Holland ignoring Zegras and Caufield to make a bit of a reach pick...

Well he is barely 20, playing defense is a lot harder than being a winger and its his first year playing North American hockey but hey, I guess it's a good time to dump all over a kid.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792421 is a reply to message #792419 ]
Fri, 01 October 2021 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 10:53

Hyman Ryan Yamamoto
Perlini Shore Griffith
Benson McLeod Sceviour
Hamblin Malone Marody

Koekkoek Barrie
Broberg Berglund
Lagesson Kemp

Skinner
Rodrigue

Well he is barely 20, playing defense is a lot harder than being a winger and its his first year playing North American hockey but hey, I guess it's a good time to dump all over a kid.

This AHL season should tell us a lot. Same with Bouch in the NHL.

What I saw from Broberg, he kind of reminds me of Nurse. He really really wants to be a 2-way D out there, but the focus just leaves him in his own zone. Got all these physical tools to skate the puck anywhere he wants to go though. Wouldn't be surprised if his development reflects Nurse a lot. Just hope he has that same passion for training/improving like Nurse does.

So, still could be a very good and valuable asset to the team. But, man would Caufield be helpful THIS season :)

[Updated on: Fri, 01 October 2021 11:42]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792422 is a reply to message #792421 ]
Fri, 01 October 2021 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 11:38

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 10:53

Hyman Ryan Yamamoto
Perlini Shore Griffith
Benson McLeod Sceviour
Hamblin Malone Marody

Koekkoek Barrie
Broberg Berglund
Lagesson Kemp

Skinner
Rodrigue

This AHL season should tell us a lot. Same with Bouch in the NHL.

What I saw from Broberg, he kind of reminds me of Nurse. He really really wants to be a 2-way D out there, but the focus just leaves him in his own zone. Got all these physical tools to skate the puck anywhere he wants to go though. Wouldn't be surprised if his development reflects Nurse a lot. Just hope he has that same passion for training/improving like Nurse does.

So, still could be a very good and valuable asset to the team. But, man would Caufield be helpful THIS season :)

I feel the same way. I would like to see Broberg actually play games in North America, spend the year in Bakersfield developing before I decide if he is a bust pick and start ripping management for drafting him. I don't expect dmen at barely 20 and who could be still playing in the CHL be ready to dominate the NHL.

If Broberg can become anything even close to Nurse in being a big, skates like the wind, minute munching all around dman, I will take that all day long.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792423 is a reply to message #792422 ]
Fri, 01 October 2021 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am hoping that playing in his home state will get Yamo going. Doesn't sound like to date he has had a great camp. I hope how long it took to get a contract didn't impact him.

I assume McLeod is on the team but I would like to see him have a good game as so far, he also hasn't had an impressive camp.

Time for Benson to do something in my opinion.

Scevior seems to be getting into a lot of games and getting a long look as is Perlini.

I would assume this might be one of the last games they dress a bunch of AHLers and maybes with the last 3 games saved for the guys on the team.

[Updated on: Fri, 01 October 2021 12:21]

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792426 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Fri, 01 October 2021 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I do not mind the idea of developing a dman like Broberg, but when he was drafted Holland knew he was 4-5 years from being a meaningful NHL’er. With Zegras and Caulfield being on the board and having the ability to make an NHL impact during McDavid’s prime made much more sense.

Some ELC deals at forward would certainly have given the Oil some breathing room and maybe we would’ve kept Bear and not traded for Keith.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792437 is a reply to message #792426 ]
Fri, 01 October 2021 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I will be curious to see what the level of freak out will be for Oilers fans if Benson doesn't make the team after having another camp where he is just mediocre at best for all of camp.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792442 is a reply to message #792437 ]
Fri, 01 October 2021 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 15:34

I will be curious to see what the level of freak out will be for Oilers fans if Benson doesn't make the team after having another camp where he is just mediocre at best for all of camp.

The team will lose him if he doesn't make the team. It would be a mistake to lose Benson over, say, Devin Shore.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792444 is a reply to message #792442 ]
Fri, 01 October 2021 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 16:19

The team will lose him if he doesn't make the team. It would be a mistake to lose Benson over, say, Devin Shore.

I am no lover of Devon Shore so if he doesn't make the team I won't be upset but I do know what Sore does. He's a bottom 6 forward that skates reasonably well, can kill some penalties, will forecheck, can play center or wing, wins some faceoffs, chip in the odd goal and has some physical play in his game.

What exactly does Benson do? I am not asking that question to be a smart ass or to start an argument. I am asking because I haven't figured that out yet and where he would fit.

He's not overly big, he's not fast, not physical, not tough. Defense has never been is strong suit but maybe he has gotten better. Don't know if he can kill penalties because like I said, defense wasn't his strong suit. He's not hard to play against, not much of a forechecker nor do we know if he can score at the NHL level.

So what does he do?

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792445 is a reply to message #792444 ]
Fri, 01 October 2021 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 16:38

I am no lover of Devon Shore so if he doesn't make the team I won't be upset but I do know what Sore does. He's a bottom 6 forward that skates reasonably well, can kill some penalties, will forecheck, can play center or wing, wins some faceoffs, chip in the odd goal and has some physical play in his game.

What exactly does Benson do? I am not asking that question to be a smart ass or to start an argument. I am asking because I haven't figured that out yet and where he would fit.

He's not overly big, he's not fast, not physical, not tough. Defense has never been is strong suit but maybe he has gotten better. Don't know if he can kill penalties because like I said, defense wasn't his strong suit. He's not hard to play against, not much of a forechecker nor do we know if he can score at the NHL level.

So what does he do?

Shore was literally one of the worst players in the NHL last year. Benson was one of the best in the AHL. I'd like to see us give the chance to the guy who we've put some years of development behind who CLEARLY has a higher ceiling than Devin Shore.

I don't think any of your critiques are based in any kind of fact, because you just haven't watched him much. I've always thought there were better players available at the pick than Tyler Benson - the fact that you had a linemate of McDavid's in junior who'd put up huge points both with and without him should have given them some insight on DeBrincat as that pick. However, once the pick is spent and you've developed him and he's been consistently trending in the right direction (despite at a much lower trajectory than DeBrincat) then I don't throw that player away because there's a guy who hits a little who you can healthy scratch any time.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792449 is a reply to message #792445 ]
Fri, 01 October 2021 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 16:50

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 16:38

So what does he do?

Shore was literally one of the worst players in the NHL last year. Benson was one of the best in the AHL. I'd like to see us give the chance to the guy who we've put some years of development behind who CLEARLY has a higher ceiling than Devin Shore.

I don't think any of your critiques are based in any kind of fact, because you just haven't watched him much. I've always thought there were better players available at the pick than Tyler Benson - the fact that you had a linemate of McDavid's in junior who'd put up huge points both with and without him should have given them some insight on DeBrincat as that pick. However, once the pick is spent and you've developed him and he's been consistently trending in the right direction (despite at a much lower trajectory than DeBrincat) then I don't throw that player away because there's a guy who hits a little who you can healthy scratch any time.

Friendly reminder that Shore trains with McDavid all summer and they seem to be buddies. He's making this team.

#Intangibles

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Next Topic:Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca