This day on April 26
None

Happy Birthday To: Hemmer2Eberle, Burgeoboy, Weloveoil

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » 2021 Training Camp threadPages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792566 is a reply to message #792561 ]
Tue, 05 October 2021 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Tue, 05 October 2021 12:06

McDavid commenting on a play that made by heart skip a beat watching live.

Quote:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/oilers-connor-mcdavid-c alls-dangerous-trip-flames-chris-tanev/

After the game, McDavid called the play "dangerous" for both himself and goalie Jacob Markstrom.

"Obviously they have the right to defend their net and defend me trying to get in there but when the stick kinda comes into the feet there like Tanev's did it's a dangerous play for me and the goalie," McDavid said. "I think you'd like to see that called a little more."

Tanev with a really careless play here. I know you are trying to play defence, but I don't think that is how you are supposed to do it. There should have been a penalty on the play 100%, but maybe the refs didn't care since it is the preseason. The Flames did them a favour by challenging the goal and getting a penalty anyway (with the GWG scored seconds later).

Glad McDavid is saying something though. He isn't some young rookie anymore whinning, he has had to endure this stuff for years, and considering he spent a whole summer recovering from a similar play in 2019 he has a right to be upset.

I don't love the way that Sportsnet couches things that "McDavid has never been shy about speaking out about officiating..." That's far from the truth. He's said virtually nothing about officiating in his career, even as he's been constantly mugged. Even there, he's more commenting on Tanev than he is on the reffing. The Oilers scored right after, so unlikely that there is even a penalty unless the NHL decided to really crack down on that.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792567 is a reply to message #792566 ]
Tue, 05 October 2021 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 05 October 2021 12:48

Quote:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/oilers-connor-mcdavid-c alls-dangerous-trip-flames-chris-tanev/

After the game, McDavid called the play "dangerous" for both himself and goalie Jacob Markstrom.

"Obviously they have the right to defend their net and defend me trying to get in there but when the stick kinda comes into the feet there like Tanev's did it's a dangerous play for me and the goalie," McDavid said. "I think you'd like to see that called a little more."

Tanev with a really careless play here. I know you are trying to play defence, but I don't think that is how you are supposed to do it. There should have been a penalty on the play 100%, but maybe the refs didn't care since it is the preseason. The Flames did them a favour by challenging the goal and getting a penalty anyway (with the GWG scored seconds later).

Glad McDavid is saying something though. He isn't some young rookie anymore whinning, he has had to endure this stuff for years, and considering he spent a whole summer recovering from a similar play in 2019 he has a right to be upset.

I don't love the way that Sportsnet couches things that "McDavid has never been shy about speaking out about officiating..." That's far from the truth. He's said virtually nothing about officiating in his career, even as he's been constantly mugged. Even there, he's more commenting on Tanev than he is on the reffing. The Oilers scored right after, so unlikely that there is even a penalty unless the NHL decided to really crack down on that.

Did no arm go up on that play before the goal? He was grabbed from behind and then blatant can opener on that same rush. Should have been 2 penalties.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792570 is a reply to message #792567 ]
Tue, 05 October 2021 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 05 October 2021 16:07

Quote:

Did no arm go up on that play before the goal? He was grabbed from behind and then blatant can opener on that same rush. Should have been 2 penalties.

Not that I can recall

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792574 is a reply to message #792570 ]
Tue, 05 October 2021 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 05 October 2021 13:23

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 05 October 2021 16:07

Quote:

Not that I can recall

You are correct no penalty was called on the play, otherwise there would have been a 2 man advantage after Sutter failed on his challenge.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792576 is a reply to message #792574 ]
Tue, 05 October 2021 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greg  is currently offline Greg

No Cups

I can’t recall if there was an arm up or not, but wouldn’t the goal being scored negate a penalty in this instance regardless?

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792577 is a reply to message #792576 ]
Tue, 05 October 2021 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greg  is currently offline Greg

No Cups

After thinking about this more, there wasn’t a call on the play because the Oilers were already on the power play so the current penalty would have ended and a new one to Tanev would have been assessed.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 October 2021 08:26]

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792590 is a reply to message #792577 ]
Wed, 06 October 2021 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Greg wrote on Tue, 05 October 2021 21:01

After thinking about this more, there wasn’t a call on the play because the Oilers were already on the power play so the current penalty would have ended and a new one to Taney would have been assessed.

👍🏻

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792573 is a reply to message #792561 ]
Tue, 05 October 2021 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Tue, 05 October 2021 11:06

Quote:

I thought it was more of a slew foot myself, Tanev dragging his foot back a little and taking out McD's legs from behind, dangerous, not entirely accidental, and completely avoidable.
C. Button was on Dusty's show today, said he thinks plays like that should get a game and a suspension, like a hit to the head, and that the league should look at it (for once Button with a good point).
Tanev was beat by McD, at this point Tanev had NO means of stopping him without taking a penalty that could potentially cause a guy to go down going full speed into the goalie, goal posts, boards, or any combination. He was DONE defending McD on that play. The only option left open at that point was to take down a player going at top speed. Plays like that can be career ending, for both the skater, and the goalie.
Hockey decided to eliminate checking from behind, and hits to the head, plays like that by Tanev are just another variation.

Button talks about it starting at 10:10
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-1260/audio/button-i-like-t o-think-of-him-as-a-lower-case-james-neal-1.1702525

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792560 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Tue, 05 October 2021 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

That right side after Jesse has been rather meh. I know the masses will be all over Keith and Ceci at every opportunity but I think Yamo and Kass both need to transform from ostriches to hockey players

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792563 is a reply to message #792560 ]
Tue, 05 October 2021 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 05 October 2021 12:02

That right side after Jesse has been rather meh. I know the masses will be all over Keith and Ceci at every opportunity but I think Yamo and Kass both need to transform from ostriches to hockey players

Yamo off to a slow start is a little concerning to me because he wasn't very good for the whole second half of last season and the playoffs. I could see he and Kassian flip flopping during the year. Bring a different look to the second line.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792598 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Wed, 06 October 2021 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer

Oilers at DCA

Draisaitl-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Hyman-RNH-Turris
Foegele-Ryan-Kassian
Benson-McLeod-Scevior
Perlini-Shore

Yamamoto not on ice. Took hard hit into Oilers bench in 3rd period vs Calgary

Hope we're not already bailing on trying to create a top end 2nd line. McDavid shouldn't need Drai 5v5 anymore, we paid a lot of cap to make that possible.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792601 is a reply to message #792598 ]
Wed, 06 October 2021 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 06 October 2021 13:05

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer

Oilers at DCA

Draisaitl-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Hyman-RNH-Turris
Foegele-Ryan-Kassian
Benson-McLeod-Scevior
Perlini-Shore

Yamamoto not on ice. Took hard hit into Oilers bench in 3rd period vs Calgary

Hope we're not already bailing on trying to create a top end 2nd line. McDavid shouldn't need Drai 5v5 anymore, we paid a lot of cap to make that possible.

Yamo isn't playing because he got taken hard to the boards as the Oilers bench so they are keeping him out for precautionary reasons.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792602 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Wed, 06 October 2021 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

https://theathletic.com/2867685/2021/10/06/lowetide-when-wil l-the-edmonton-oilers-fully-embrace-analytics/

Lowetide scorches the Oilers management and their failure to use the tools available to them.

Quote:

A trade Holland made 16 days before the Bear-Foegele deal shows us the Oilers don’t use analytics in a way more sophisticated teams currently value information.

The deal in question is the one that brought Duncan Keith to Edmonton from the Chicago Blackhawks.

When analytics isn’t in the room
A week before the Keith trade, I wrote about the possible return for The Athletic, writing, “I think fair value is Edmonton dealing Caleb Jones for Keith and a first-round selection to cover the $5 million cap hit.”

The actual trade ignored the massive cap total coming Edmonton’s way, and further devalued Jones by throwing in a draft pick to make the deal whole for Chicago.

There isn’t a hockey analytics department on planet earth with a workable computer that would recommend the Keith-Jones deal as it went down.

The Oilers analytics department is in the room for some or none of the transactions made by Edmonton. There’s simply no other conclusion that can be drawn based on the value placed by Edmonton on $5 million in cap and Jones.

The Toronto Maple Leafs gave up a first-round selection in order to move Patrick Marleau in 2019; an analytics department in the room would have pointed it out.

Adapting to proven innovation is important to a team remaining competitive and there is a middle ground between rejecting analytics completely and making it a central theme in all transactions.

NHL teams have access to mountains of data and intel but some organizations don’t use it effectively. Some give lip service to the idea but stay with the old ways. The teams who do things “because we’ve always done it that way” will fail and be replaced by innovators.

Some NHL teams devote millions of dollars in analytics but employ people at the top who still make decisions by gut feel.

Very few, and I think it’s far fewer than 10 teams, have something that we could consider a smooth process in getting the valuable data off the page and into the manager’s hands in close to real time. Even fewer have managers at the top fully engaged in the value of the intel.

The teams that have bought in, fully digested the data and reach clear conclusions won’t win every deal, but they will give themselves a chance to win all transactions. As months grow to years, the gap will widen.

None of the teams who employ a quality analytics department, respected by its general manager, would have made the Duncan Keith trade as it will read in the NHL Guide and Record Book.

I’m certain this is true.

When will the Oilers fully embrace analytics?
It won’t happen during the Connor McDavid years. McDavid is too good at covering over massive areas of weakness. His best is so good the Oilers can outrun the flaws during the regular season. In fact, he’s so good this group could eventually win the Stanley Cup without the advantage that new statistics and metrics will bring to other teams.

At some point, late in this decade or early in the following one, a new owner, manager or management innovator will look at the roster, realize the greatest player in hockey is no longer there, and begin to chart a path to success that uses every available advantage in getting there.

Oilers fans who hope for an embrace of the analytics innovations would do well to remember that the Keith trade took place 13 years and 10 days after Daryl Katz took ownership of the franchise.

On the day he took over the Oilers, almost 5,000 days ago, the organization was already in a trailing position in regard to analytics. In a very real way, the team has yet to join the race. The asset package sent to Chicago leaves no room for doubt.

Dismal conclusion - although not one that should be surprising. The group we have at the top is too entrenched, too stubborn and too stupid to make the changes that they should. It may cost us the opportunity to win several Cups.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792603 is a reply to message #792602 ]
Wed, 06 October 2021 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 06 October 2021 14:47

https://theathletic.com/2867685/2021/10/06/lowetide-when-wil l-the-edmonton-oilers-fully-embrace-analytics/

Lowetide scorches the Oilers management and their failure to use the tools available to them.

Quote:

A trade Holland made 16 days before the Bear-Foegele deal shows us the Oilers don’t use analytics in a way more sophisticated teams currently value information.

The deal in question is the one that brought Duncan Keith to Edmonton from the Chicago Blackhawks.

A week before the Keith trade, I wrote about the possible return for The Athletic, writing, “I think fair value is Edmonton dealing Caleb Jones for Keith and a first-round selection to cover the $5 million cap hit.”

The actual trade ignored the massive cap total coming Edmonton’s way, and further devalued Jones by throwing in a draft pick to make the deal whole for Chicago.

There isn’t a hockey analytics department on planet earth with a workable computer that would recommend the Keith-Jones deal as it went down.

The Oilers analytics department is in the room for some or none of the transactions made by Edmonton. There’s simply no other conclusion that can be drawn based on the value placed by Edmonton on $5 million in cap and Jones.

The Toronto Maple Leafs gave up a first-round selection in order to move Patrick Marleau in 2019; an analytics department in the room would have pointed it out.

Adapting to proven innovation is important to a team remaining competitive and there is a middle ground between rejecting analytics completely and making it a central theme in all transactions.

NHL teams have access to mountains of data and intel but some organizations don’t use it effectively. Some give lip service to the idea but stay with the old ways. The teams who do things “because we’ve always done it that way” will fail and be replaced by innovators.

Some NHL teams devote millions of dollars in analytics but employ people at the top who still make decisions by gut feel.

Very few, and I think it’s far fewer than 10 teams, have something that we could consider a smooth process in getting the valuable data off the page and into the manager’s hands in close to real time. Even fewer have managers at the top fully engaged in the value of the intel.

The teams that have bought in, fully digested the data and reach clear conclusions won’t win every deal, but they will give themselves a chance to win all transactions. As months grow to years, the gap will widen.

None of the teams who employ a quality analytics department, respected by its general manager, would have made the Duncan Keith trade as it will read in the NHL Guide and Record Book.

It won’t happen during the Connor McDavid years. McDavid is too good at covering over massive areas of weakness. His best is so good the Oilers can outrun the flaws during the regular season. In fact, he’s so good this group could eventually win the Stanley Cup without the advantage that new statistics and metrics will bring to other teams.

At some point, late in this decade or early in the following one, a new owner, manager or management innovator will look at the roster, realize the greatest player in hockey is no longer there, and begin to chart a path to success that uses every available advantage in getting there.

Oilers fans who hope for an embrace of the analytics innovations would do well to remember that the Keith trade took place 13 years and 10 days after Daryl Katz took ownership of the franchise.

On the day he took over the Oilers, almost 5,000 days ago, the organization was already in a trailing position in regard to analytics. In a very real way, the team has yet to join the race. The asset package sent to Chicago leaves no room for doubt.

Dismal conclusion - although not one that should be surprising. The group we have at the top is too entrenched, too stubborn and too stupid to make the changes that they should. It may cost us the opportunity to win several Cups.

Our 2nd D pair just takes a massive dump all over what anyone that cares even a bit about analytics would think is a good way to spend 8.8M.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/3o7buke3NOCH0MMD4I/giphy.gif

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792604 is a reply to message #792603 ]
Wed, 06 October 2021 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 06 October 2021 15:18

Quote:

Our 2nd D pair just takes a massive dump all over what anyone that cares even a bit about analytics would think is a good way to spend 8.8M.

I feel as though I need to post a ‘Leave Keith alone’ video like that whole leave Britney alone thing.

Or. To quote a wise man, who had entire movie, religion and cult created in the name of The Dude... Just take it easy, man.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792607 is a reply to message #792604 ]
Wed, 06 October 2021 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 06 October 2021 14:27

I feel as though I need to post a ‘Leave Keith alone’ video like that whole leave Britney alone thing.

Or. To quote a wise man, who had entire movie, religion and cult created in the name of The Dude... Just take it easy, man.

Peace and Tranquility Man...

https://media0.giphy.com/media/peWOL7gWwPdtu/giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e47dycamlsmzvscjt69f39da66405u0dr1iqalt4jqr&rid=giphy.webp&ct=g
Like staring at a lava lamp..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792608 is a reply to message #792607 ]
Wed, 06 October 2021 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 06 October 2021 18:41

https://media0.giphy.com/media/peWOL7gWwPdtu/giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e47dycamlsmzvscjt69f39da66405u0dr1iqalt4jqr&rid=giphy.webp&ct=g

Damn it, now I have a craving for a nice cold Guinness.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792609 is a reply to message #792608 ]
Wed, 06 October 2021 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Wed, 06 October 2021 17:17

I too, have a throbbing urge for a Guinness

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792612 is a reply to message #792609 ]
Wed, 06 October 2021 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 06 October 2021 17:07

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Wed, 06 October 2021 17:17

I too, have a throbbing urge for a Guinness

I think that throbbing urge was more likely a left over from watching Connor McD last game! :)

Always mesmerizing watching a freshly poured pint of G in a good light, as the waves of goodness cascade down the side of the glass.. a beautiful sight.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 October 2021 21:38]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792620 is a reply to message #792604 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 06 October 2021 15:27

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 06 October 2021 15:18

Quote:

You got to love it when all these stats guys without seeing a single minute of regular season hockey playing together can without a shadow of a doubt, predict the future and they feel that all decisions should be made based on what certain bias stats tell them.

These are the same guys that said without a shadow of a doubt that Smith would be a disaster last year. How did that turn out? He was what, 6th or 7th in vezina voting? I can't remember completely.

These are the same guys that said Caleb Jones was a can't miss, LOCK to be a good top 4 dman last year. The spread sheet said so. How did that turn out? Oh right, the guy looked like the could barely play in the NHL and took about 2-3 steps back.

I haven't scoured the internet to check but I haven't seen too many articles written from those same guys manning up and saying they were wrong. Most just don't say anything. If they happen to mention it at all which lots don't, it's usually a couple of sentences in an article about something else and they will down play their mistake saying it was as fluke or make excuse after excuse of why it was someone elses fault.

Reality is, yes these numbers have a role to play and should be looked at. HOWEVER, these numbers aren't the can't all, be all. The numbers can be manipulated by the person doing them to produce the results they want to see. There is bias by all these guys doing the numbers. There are other factors out of a players control that can skew the numbers that are not always taken into account. Sometimes guys just have a one off seasons or 2 either good or bad that skew the numbers. There are TONS of instances where the situation a player is put in is not the right one, he doesn't get along with the coach, the system puts him in situations he's not capable of doing well or there are other outside, non hockey related stuff that can impact a players play that do not show up on a spread sheet.

Case in point. Many, many, many people in here think Koskinen is awful and pile on the guy every chance they get. I do not think he is a top end goalie but I think he can be a solid goalie in a tandem system. I think he makes too much money but I do not think he is terrible. I fully expect him to have a good season this year. In listening to him open up about how tough it was for him personally last year, I can't imagine what it would have been like to be him last year. There was already the stress of covid on him. The stress of a weird season, the stress of being locked in your room after every single game. Then on top of that, his wife and kids were across the world with all this crazy going on. He can't see them for 2/3 of a YEAR. He can't hug them or kiss his wife. When he has a bad day, there is no one to talk too and I am sorry but talking to your workmates when you are down is not the same as your family. For anyone married with kids, you know exactly what I mean. I am a married father of 2. I see my kids daily. I drive them to school every day. I worried with all the uncertainty with Covid last year about me, my wife and my kids getting sick. There was lots of days I wasn't focused at work with all the crap that was going on. BUT I got to go home to see my family every day. He didn't and it impacted his work because he had so many other things on his mind. I work a desk so if I am not 100% on, it probably doesn't impact my job as much as a pro athlete. Maybe for some people, that wouldn't be a big deal not seeing their wife and kids for 2/3 of a year, I wouldn't handle it well and sounds like he didn't either. I am sure there are all kinds of stats boys piling on the guy saying is absolute crap because the spread sheet says so. Does their spread sheet have a column that factors in the guy was stressed about his family and lonely? You know, all that mental health stuff that we as a society are supposed to be be more considerate too and take more into account now? I bet it doesn't. But who cares if his head wasn't right, he sucks. RIGHT!

What about Keith. The reason he wanted to leave the Hawks was family. He split with his wife, son moved across the continent. Geeze, I wonder if he was having marriage problems with his wife for a while? Hmmmm.... usually when you split with your wife, there are a lot of issues for a long time before. Would that impact your work life if you are upset and miserable because your home life sucks? Probably. If your wife wants a divorce, moves out and takes your son so you can't see him in normal times much then on top of that there being all the restrictions and Covid going on that made it impossible too. Would that probably impact your work like? Gee... probably. It sure would impact me. So if your head isn't in the game because your wife is gone, you miss your kid and don't know what is going to happen. Is it going to impact your advanced stats that some people think all teams need to base all decisions on? Hmmm..... I bet you it would.

So I'm like you Oscar, I like to see the guys actually play first before I call my shot and decide they are garbage all because some guy with a spread sheet tells me they suck. I do this because these guys are human beings, not robots. There are TONS of things both in the job and more so outside of the job that impact the jobs that us arm chair GM's that post in here do everyday. So if things impact how we do our job, why is it not fair to think that things impact these human players.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 October 2021 09:14]

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792621 is a reply to message #792620 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

I agree that the only reason a long time Chicago Blackhawk would want to leave the organization these days is because of family. Nothing else going on there that I can think of.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792629 is a reply to message #792621 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 07 October 2021 09:25

I agree that the only reason a long time Chicago Blackhawk would want to leave the organization these days is because of family. Nothing else going on there that I can think of.

I am just going by what the guy said. I am not the type that believes every single person is a bold face liar like some in here seem to think. SO if he said he wanted out to move closer to his family that is in Kelowna which is a hell of a long way from Chicago, I'd like to think a father wouldn't use his kid as a tool to facilitate a lie.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 October 2021 11:01]

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792630 is a reply to message #792629 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 07 October 2021 11:00

I am just going by what the guy said. I am not the type that believes every single person is a bold face liar like some in here seem to think. SO if he said he wanted out to move closer to his family that is in Kelowna which is a hell of a long way from Chicago, I'd like to think a father wouldn't use his kid as a tool to facilitate a lie.

I agree. Keith just seems like a solid family guy. The sort of person who knows to look the other way if a teammate is being abused or harassed, does his own research on vaccination, and is committed to being as close to Kelowna as possible.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792631 is a reply to message #792630 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 07 October 2021 11:56

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 07 October 2021 11:00

I agree. Keith just seems like a solid family guy. The sort of person who knows to look the other way if a teammate is being abused or harassed, does his own research on vaccination, and is committed to being as close to Kelowna as possible.

Hey - Jason Gregor tells me that he's been really committed to this flashing lights, organic shampoo thing for a long time, so who are we to criticize him for his vaccine stance!

Also, he said he doesn't want to think about Chicago any more, so I think we can assume that means he never knew anything at all about the sexual abuse of one of his teammates and the subsequent mocking of that teammate by people on the team.

He's just moved on!

Also - we can only make broad assumptions in order to defend a guy's piss-poor performance in his late 30s. We should not use fancy things like easy to find stats to show how he sucked at hockey, or to criticize the Oilers management for not finding or understanding these easy to find tidbits. After all, the guy won three Stanley Cups several years ago, so he must add a huge amount of not-easily measurable intangibles that make him worth MORE than the $5.5MM cap hit, even if he continues to suck at hockey. Maybe one day, several years from now, McDavid will win a Cup, possibly in a different city, and credit his time with Duncan Keith as what showed him what it took to win...

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792633 is a reply to message #792631 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 07 October 2021 12:01

fancy things like easy to find stats to show how he sucked at hockey

There you go with your analytics talk again. The oilers HAVE an analytics guy! It's the guy that handles their passport stuff. He's really good with excel, and sometimes his brother even helps out.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792635 is a reply to message #792633 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 07 October 2021 12:26

There you go with your analytics talk again. The oilers HAVE an analytics guy! It's the guy that handles their passport stuff. He's really good with excel, and sometimes his brother even helps out.

He's multi-faceted. I've heard he even gets coffee for the important people sometimes!

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792637 is a reply to message #792635 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 07 October 2021 13:01

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 07 October 2021 12:26

He's multi-faceted. I've heard he even gets coffee for the important people sometimes!

Guy has been there since Dellow left and can't get his name on the website. But I'm sure they value his work.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792638 is a reply to message #792637 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Magnets guys. His bed has magnets. nuff said.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792618 is a reply to message #792602 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 06 October 2021 17:47

Quote:

I still maintain that all things considered - age of player, timing (just before expansion draft), cap hit, team needs, assets forfeited, player demanded to come to this ONE team - this is one of the worst trades in team history, if not league history, regardless how Keith performs this year.

Holland: "Did you want me to get him for free?"
No Ken, worse than that - they needed to pay you! And they should have paid you handsomely to take him. See Marleau. Ghostisbehere, Ladd, Stralman and a bunch of others...

Teams get paid to take on a cap hit. You don't pay for the privilege of taking on a crap contract.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792632 is a reply to message #792618 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I have to think this is Benson's last chance. He needs to produce something.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792642 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

First game on TV tonight (because Rogers gives a damn about Canuck fans, not Oilers).

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792643 is a reply to message #792642 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

BEAUTY pass from Smith to set up that PPG!

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792646 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Steve Buscemi makes it 3-2.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792648 is a reply to message #792646 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 07 October 2021 20:29

Steve Buscemi makes it 3-2.

Heady shot-pass by Keith to make Oscargasm proud on that one.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792654 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Looks like Kassian will be out for a while. Fight starts with Macewan grabbing right at Kassian's helmet and pulling it off, then eventually helps drive kassian's head down as they spin to the ice together.

Thought they already had a rule about not taking a players helmet off? Maybe time to actually take that seriously.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792663 is a reply to message #792654 ]
Fri, 08 October 2021 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 07 October 2021 20:38

Looks like Kassian will be out for a while. Fight starts with Macewan grabbing right at Kassian's helmet and pulling it off, then eventually helps drive kassian's head down as they spin to the ice together.

Thought they already had a rule about not taking a players helmet off? Maybe time to actually take that seriously.

That whole judo move should be banned, some guys don't even scrap anymore, its a grapple, tie the guy up, and then try to twist and throw him down, with worse results than if they actually went toe to toe, especially when the guy purposely takes off a guys helmet and the first thing he does is try to throw him down head first. Should get an extra penalty for taking off a guys helmet, and they should talk about eliminating the judo take down move, either fight and chuck some knuckles .. or just go to the bench.

[Updated on: Fri, 08 October 2021 03:22]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792667 is a reply to message #792654 ]
Fri, 08 October 2021 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 07 October 2021 21:38

That was the first thing I saw too was Macewan ripping his helmet off.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792655 is a reply to message #792053 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kassian could be out with a concussion for a while. Here’s an idea. If you’re a player that fights, maybe tighten your chin strap. I know I sound like an old person, but seriously. His decisions have put him out of the line up more than once. Coach mentions that’s he needs to be more of a thorn out there, so that night he goes and busts his hand on a helmet. Dudes a bit of a caveman.

https://media.bleacherreport.com/w_800,h_533,c_fill/br-img-images/003/852/482/hi-res-c22c9b41a10866fe9f49925af2f5147c_crop_north.jpg

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792656 is a reply to message #792655 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 07 October 2021 21:46

Kassian could be out with a concussion for a while. Here’s an idea. If you’re a player that fights, maybe tighten your chin strap. I know I sound like an old person, but seriously. His decisions have put him out of the line up more than once. Coach mentions that’s he needs to be more of a thorn out there, so that night he goes and busts his hand on a helmet. Dudes a bit of a caveman.

https://media.bleacherreport.com/w_800,h_533,c_fill/br-img-images/003/852/482/hi-res-c22c9b41a10866fe9f49925af2f5147c_crop_north.jpg

Feel bad for him. That's just brutal, wrecking your season basically in pre-season.

And damn this org for holding out some dream that Kassian had to be held onto because he might do something in the playoffs again like 2017. We have paid a lot for keeping him around based on a handful of games. Now we probably just have to run his deal out. He really should not fight ever again if he values his health after hockey.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792657 is a reply to message #792656 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 07 October 2021 21:50

He really should not fight ever again if he values his health after hockey.

Or just tighten your chinstrap and avoid meaningless tilts.

Just be a dick out there and fight when the opponent takes the instigator. Dude seems as sharp as a marble tbh.

Re: 2021 Training Camp thread [message #792659 is a reply to message #792656 ]
Thu, 07 October 2021 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 07 October 2021 21:50

Feel bad for him. That's just brutal, wrecking your season basically in pre-season.

And damn this org for holding out some dream that Kassian had to be held onto because he might do something in the playoffs again like 2017. We have paid a lot for keeping him around based on a handful of games. Now we probably just have to run his deal out. He really should not fight ever again if he values his health after hockey.

Why is any established player fighting in pre-season? It's just not a good idea. Needlessly puts you at risk.

Pages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Next Topic:Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca