CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 03 September 2021 19:15

Adam wrote on Fri, 03 September 2021 14:57

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 03 September 2021 14:50

Adam wrote on Fri, 03 September 2021 12:26

Goose wrote on Fri, 03 September 2021 11:28

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 03 September 2021 10:18

Next summer with Puljujarvi and Yamamoto needing new deals and Nurse's $9M deal kicking in should be a lot of fun! Plus, we still will need a goalie!

That's why I think one or both of Yamamoto won't survive this year with the Oilers. There's just no flexibility to sign them if they're even moderately successful this year. Really glad Duncan Keith's $5.5M will still be on the books next season icon_rolleyes

The incredible thing about Holland's summer is that he's not only blown our space for this year, but for next year too. Other than critical free agents (one of whom they've let be known they plan on letting play out without trying to re-sign ahead of time), they don't have a lot coming off the books.

Shore got two years. Koekkoek has two years. Ryan got two years. Keith has two years left. Everyone else we signed for even longer. The largest expiring contract next summer outside of Koskinen is Kyle Turris' $1.65MM deal. The only other two UFAs are Josh Archibald (at $1.5MM, and who are we kidding - that deal happens long before they talk turkey with Puljujarvi) and Kris Russell ($1.25MM).

Holland went all in with this roster. We're fully committed to it, to the point where we have almost no flexibility to do anything different. Hopefully next year we can afford a new goalie...

I bet he just uses the “hide column” feature on his salary cap spreadsheet. Don’t need to worry about 2022/23 if it’s not there!

Except how does that work with a paper ledger? I don't think any of those old coots know how to turn on the computer, never mind build an Excel model.

I bet his kid knows though. Or if not his, Lowe or Messier's kid.

You've made a strong case for hiring grandchildren.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Yamo Extension [message #791679 is a reply to message #791654 ]
Fri, 03 September 2021 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cosmicheretic  is currently offline cosmicheretic

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 03 September 2021 12:26

Goose wrote on Fri, 03 September 2021 11:28

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 03 September 2021 10:18

Next summer with Puljujarvi and Yamamoto needing new deals and Nurse's $9M deal kicking in should be a lot of fun! Plus, we still will need a goalie!

That's why I think one or both of Yamamoto won't survive this year with the Oilers. There's just no flexibility to sign them if they're even moderately successful this year. Really glad Duncan Keith's $5.5M will still be on the books next season icon_rolleyes

The incredible thing about Holland's summer is that he's not only blown our space for this year, but for next year too. Other than critical free agents (one of whom they've let be known they plan on letting play out without trying to re-sign ahead of time), they don't have a lot coming off the books.

Shore got two years. Koekkoek has two years. Ryan got two years. Keith has two years left. Everyone else we signed for even longer. The largest expiring contract next summer outside of Koskinen is Kyle Turris' $1.65MM deal. The only other two UFAs are Josh Archibald (at $1.5MM, and who are we kidding - that deal happens long before they talk turkey with Puljujarvi) and Kris Russell ($1.25MM).

Holland went all in with this roster. We're fully committed to it, to the point where we have almost no flexibility to do anything different. Hopefully next year we can afford a new goalie...

Holland was a pre-cap genius with an unlimited budget but should have packed it in long ago. If we don't win this year they need to part ways with him as he has been awful.

Re: Yamo Extension [message #791644 is a reply to message #791592 ]
Fri, 03 September 2021 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

Honestly, you'd have thought the Oilers would have learned something from the Nurse negotiations last year, but given them leaving Bear dangling and Yamamoto dangling this year - just waiting to take advantage of the LTIR - is a dangerous game they've been playing. The price just went up, and they've lost another $1-$1.5M in cap space.

Re: Yamo Extension [message #791647 is a reply to message #791644 ]
Fri, 03 September 2021 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

To flip it the other way. If the Oilers announced they offer sheeted Yamo from another team and were giving him 3.5 mill, I'd be pissed off.

Re: Yamo Extension [message #791649 is a reply to message #791647 ]
Fri, 03 September 2021 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 03 September 2021 10:53

To flip it the other way. If the Oilers announced they offer sheeted Yamo from another team and were giving him 3.5 mill, I'd be pissed off.

Good news - we don't have the cap space to offer sheet anyone, and we're missing draft picks, so wouldn't be able to even if we had the money.

That's not really the danger here. The danger is that someone else will offersheet him.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Yamo Extension [message #804143 is a reply to message #791592 ]
Thu, 14 April 2022 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Quote from The Athletic today:

Quote:

Is it possible for Kane, Puljujarvi and Yamamoto to all be Oilers next season?

“I don’t really know. I haven’t really looked,” Holland said. “I haven’t engaged with anybody. So, I don’t know what anybody’s really thinking.”

We know he’s being honest. Kenny, why are you the way that you are?

Re: Yamo Extension [message #804144 is a reply to message #804143 ]
Thu, 14 April 2022 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 14 April 2022 10:06

Quote from The Athletic today:

Quote:

Is it possible for Kane, Puljujarvi and Yamamoto to all be Oilers next season?

“I don’t really know. I haven’t really looked,” Holland said. “I haven’t engaged with anybody. So, I don’t know what anybody’s really thinking.”

We know he’s being honest. Kenny, why are you the way that you are?

There was talk in the other thread about Karlsson mailing it in on a play with 5 seconds left in a game. But is there anyone else in the league that is mailing in the end of his career more than Ken Holland?

You haven't looked? Like at all?

How hard is it to say, "ya, I think so. We've got a structure in place that we think works for everyone. Obviously, we need to present it to that group and see what they say, but we think it can be done, for sure".

I guess you'd actually have to have run some numbers and some comparables first to be able to say that.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Yamo Extension [message #804145 is a reply to message #804144 ]
Thu, 14 April 2022 11:22 Go to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

He's got to be just projecting a wholesome / ah shucks image. He's a friendly dude, you know? Meanwhile his underlings are full time engaged in grinding the agents and figuring out the market. Right? Right? No worries. Trust the plan. Akuna matata.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Andrei Kuzmenko (KHL) looking to find an NHL Home
Next Topic:What Happens Cap-Wise if D. Keith were to Retire?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca