This day on January 22
Acquired: Keith Acton (1988)
Departed: Moe Mantha (1988)

Happy Birthday To: Ben Eager, overpaidpunk, lmarco

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual AssaultPages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793637 is a reply to message #788189 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

Kyle Beach's interview was a tough watch.

Absolutely gutting to see the guilt that he's still carrying for not doing more (and, to be clear, I'm not blaming him at all), to stop Aldrich from going on an assaulting the 16 year old kid. And infuriating to see guys like Quenneville stand up and say they didn't know anything about it and seemingly have no remorse for their role in not only allowing abuse against a young man that they were supposed to be leaders of, but also, through their inaction allowing at least one kid (and probably more), to be abused by this same guy.

Hilarious for Mark Spector to say in Keith's press conference that, "we think about these things differently now than we did 10 years ago". As if people thought that sexual assault was just fine in 2010. They just can't help themselves, the need for the media to protect the organizations that they cover is gross. And it ignores the fact that the Blackhawks put out a statement like 4 months ago that the allegations had no merit and tried to have the lawsuits dismissed.

I'm not sure that anything has really changed. I wouldn't bet money that any NHL team, facing the same circumstances today that the Blackhawks faced in 2010, would do anything any differently until and unless they were forced to because it became public.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Send a private message to this user  

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793647 is a reply to message #793637 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

I just... it's astounding how moronic, how utterly nonsensical if not altogether tainted these media members are. I would argue they are to a very large extent complicit in this scandal. Someone or something (an organizational body) needs to question their questioning, their ethics and their reporting on this.

This story is bad all the way down the line.

It's next to impossible to believe the players didn't know or at least have an inkling—some idea—of what was going on. And if they truly didn't, it's a combination of wilful ignorance and human negligence. Not everything can or should be completely isolated. We are not all operating in compartmentalized spheres of existence.

While I don't care much of how the team does anymore (my fandom of both team and the sport have taken a heavy hit, mostly because of the "culture" of the game), I want Keith gone. They've made enough money, had enough success.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 October 2021 11:38]

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793650 is a reply to message #793647 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

philly boy wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 11:14

I just... it's astounding how moronic, how utterly nonsensical if not altogether tainted these media members are. They are to a very large extent complicit in this scandal. Someone or something (an organizational body) needs to question their questioning, their ethics and their reporting on this.

I would say it's next to impossible to believe the players didn't know or at least have an inkling—some idea—of what was going on. And if they truly didn't, it's a combination of wilful ignorance and human negligence. Not everything can or should be completely isolated. We are not all operating in compartmentalized spheres of existence.

While I don't care much of how the team does anymore (my fandom of both team and the sport have taken a heavy hit, mostly because of the "culture" of the game), I want Keith gone. They've made enough money, had enough success.

I'll step a bit to the defence of the media in that there was a member of the media who's directly responsible for a lot of the reporting on this and who didn't just let it die. I'm not sure if this happened in Edmonton that any of it would reach the light of day, or that we'd have them doing any real digging. I mean, Daryl Katz had a sensational episode with an actress who may or may not have been a bit of a grifter and despite making headlines in the US, it was never covered in either Edmonton newspaper or by any local media. There were even enough angles on the model and her paramour being pretty shady themselves that it could have been written in a way that made it look like it was a shakedown - but instead there was zero reporting on it.

That didn't happen here. Rick Westhead did a really good job on this whole story. It's pretty clear that there are people worried about the ramifications of crossing powerful people and organizations - Brent Sopel is even quoted saying that he was nervous about commenting because he didn't want it to lead to the Blackhawks somehow harming his charity for dyslexic children! And the story still got told, and it's led to some really big departures from that organization.

I do think the media here is terrible and that some, especially Spector and Rishaug, seemed to go out of their way to provide cover for Keith yesterday, with that now deleted Sportsnet video being the worst example.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793652 is a reply to message #793650 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 10:53

philly boy wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 11:14

I just... it's astounding how moronic, how utterly nonsensical if not altogether tainted these media members are. They are to a very large extent complicit in this scandal. Someone or something (an organizational body) needs to question their questioning, their ethics and their reporting on this.

I would say it's next to impossible to believe the players didn't know or at least have an inkling—some idea—of what was going on. And if they truly didn't, it's a combination of wilful ignorance and human negligence. Not everything can or should be completely isolated. We are not all operating in compartmentalized spheres of existence.

I'll step a bit to the defence of the media in that there was a member of the media who's directly responsible for a lot of the reporting on this and who didn't just let it die. I'm not sure if this happened in Edmonton that any of it would reach the light of day, or that we'd have them doing any real digging. I mean, Daryl Katz had a sensational episode with an actress who may or may not have been a bit of a grifter and despite making headlines in the US, it was never covered in either Edmonton newspaper or by any local media. There were even enough angles on the model and her paramour being pretty shady themselves that it could have been written in a way that made it look like it was a shakedown - but instead there was zero reporting on it.

That didn't happen here. Rick Westhead did a really good job on this whole story. It's pretty clear that there are people worried about the ramifications of crossing powerful people and organizations - Brent Sopel is even quoted saying that he was nervous about commenting because he didn't want it to lead to the Blackhawks somehow harming his charity for dyslexic children! And the story still got told, and it's led to some really big departures from that organization.

I do think the media here is terrible and that some, especially Spector and Rishaug, seemed to go out of their way to provide cover for Keith yesterday, with that now deleted Sportsnet video being the worst example.

Yeah Westhead did a really great job. It would have been really easy to editorialize this story in the beginning to get quick clicks, but he didn’t do that. Just reported the legal proceedings, and the responses from the parties as they came, and let the legal process play out.

Sportsnet wasn’t even touching the story for many months.

Clean house or bust

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793654 is a reply to message #793652 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Quote:

Chris Johnston
@reporterchris
Shawn Lalonde, a Black Ace with the 2010 #Blackhawks, tells Ilta-Sanomat in Finland that he thinks the whole team knew what happened to Kyle Beach and that now "players don't really know what to say."

Lalonde also says he spoke to the Jenner & Block investigators.

Huh...this guy playing in Finland found some time to talk to the investigators, and knew what happened to Beach and believes everyone else on the team knew too, but somehow Duncan Keith and Patrick Kane knew nothing and talked to no one. That's so odd. *sarcasm*

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793651 is a reply to message #788189 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

I dont know how coaches and executives that knew of a sexual assault allegation and by appearances did nothing can get out of this with jobs. Quenneville apparently wrote quite the letter of recommendation, with this knowledge.

I know the old mentality, it was hard for me to get my head around how the hell nearly grown dudes could let themselves be assaulted by a douchebag like Graham James.....but this guy has sway over your career. Must have eaten guys like Kennedy, Fleury and Beech alive to have had to endure that. The taunting and that crap, that was still there in 2010. Anti bullying has been a focus in AB schools at least since 2005 that I'm aware of, but grown assed men still do it to frigging teammates.

I don't know about the players still around, if they did know about it or were even in on the alleged bullying, they should have just owned it.

The PA wears this as well, being advocates for the players

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793653 is a reply to message #793651 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 11:57

I dont know how coaches and executives that knew of a sexual assault allegation and by appearances did nothing can get out of this with jobs. Quenneville apparently wrote quite the letter of recommendation, with this knowledge.

I know the old mentality, it was hard for me to get my head around how the hell nearly grown dudes could let themselves be assaulted by a douchebag like Graham James.....but this guy has sway over your career. Must have eaten guys like Kennedy, Fleury and Beech alive to have had to endure that. The taunting and that crap, that was still there in 2010. Anti bullying has been a focus in AB schools at least since 2005 that I'm aware of, but grown assed men still do it to frigging teammates.

I don't know about the players still around, if they did know about it or were even in on the alleged bullying, they should have just owned it.

Saw that Coach Q has to meet with Bettman today. Guess Bettman is going to be asking some people to do the right thing and step down?

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/quennevilles-meeting-with-bet tman-may-decide-florida-fate

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793656 is a reply to message #793653 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 12:10

Saw that Coach Q has to meet with Bettman today. Guess Bettman is going to be asking some people to do the right thing and step down?

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/quennevilles-meeting-with-bet tman-may-decide-florida-fate

Yep - given everything that's come out about this around Quenneville, I imagine Bettman is just handing him a sword and telling him to fall on it.

I think there's a chance Cheveldayoff skates off still. As the AGM, he wouldn't have had the final say, and there's not a bunch of damning quotes of him urging the others to keep the status quo. He could potentially argue that he wanted a different course of action but the call wasn't his to make.

I'm curious to see what happens with Fehr. Somehow, I don't think the players are going to take action against him over this, much as it has left him with a lot of egg on his face.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793659 is a reply to message #793656 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Maybe he's a better liar or actor than the others, but Toews is the only one I believed. Kane, Keith, and Q are all full of it.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793686 is a reply to message #793659 ]
Fri, 29 October 2021 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

Something I've wondered about is where was the player's agent in all of this? Kyle Beach was 2 years removed from being an 11th overall draft pick, so surely he had an agent representing him. The agent had to know what was going on given this was brought to the Hawks management and the PA. Once it became clear it had been ignored, why would the agent not have pushed the issue, or gone to the league, or eventually the press, even anonymously? I know it's not always black and white, and the laws are different depending on where you are, but if you’re aware of a crime that has taken place you have an obligation to report it, at the very least a moral obligation.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793687 is a reply to message #793686 ]
Fri, 29 October 2021 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Fri, 29 October 2021 11:10

Something I've wondered about is where was the player's agent in all of this? Kyle Beach was 2 years removed from being an 11th overall draft pick, so surely he had an agent representing him. The agent had to know what was going on given this was brought to the Hawks management and the PA. Once it became clear it had been ignored, why would the agent not have pushed the issue, or gone to the league, or eventually the press, even anonymously? I know it's not always black and white, and the laws are different depending on where you are, but if you’re aware of a crime that has taken place you have an obligation to report it, at the very least a moral obligation.

Good question. Did Beach even tell him? You hear a ton of stories, Sheldon Kennedy as an example, where they just try to bury it until it basically boils over to the point they can't hold it in any longer. So his agent who probably does most of his dealings with most of his clients over the phone, texts or emails may not have even been aware.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793693 is a reply to message #793686 ]
Fri, 29 October 2021 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Fri, 29 October 2021 10:10

Actually you're the first person, including media, to mention the agent. I agree you'd expect the player would have talked to his agent about this, and being 11th overall, the agent would be following closely, and had a direct relationship with.

The other one that seems to be escaping wide spread condemnation in the media is the NHLPA, D. Fehr, they/he knew, and nothing happened. The association's prime purpose is to take care of the players, never happened in this case. If it was a criminal offense, how does that not get reported to authorities?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793697 is a reply to message #793693 ]
Fri, 29 October 2021 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 29 October 2021 14:04

Actually you're the first person, including media, to mention the agent. I agree you'd expect the player would have talked to his agent about this, and being 11th overall, the agent would be following closely, and had a direct relationship with.

The other one that seems to be escaping wide spread condemnation in the media is the NHLPA, D. Fehr, they/he knew, and nothing happened. The association's prime purpose is to take care of the players, never happened in this case. If it was a criminal offense, how does that not get reported to authorities?

Assuming the agent knew. Unfortunately in these circumstances victims can feel so much shame they can go for years without speaking about it to anyone. Especially male victims. I don't know the details of the case, but saying in general.

Look at how long the Graham James case took to surface.

"In 1996, Sheldon Kennedy and another unnamed player came forward with complaints about sexual abuse they had suffered between 1984 and 1995,[6] and on November 22, 1996, Calgary Police Service charged James with sexual assault.[3][8] On January 2, 1997, James pleaded guilty to two counts of sexual assault involving more than 350 encounters with two underage players over a span of 10 years, and was sentenced to three and a half years in jail."

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793698 is a reply to message #793693 ]
Fri, 29 October 2021 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 29 October 2021 15:04

Agent apparently was involved. Contacted USA hockey when the guy was named to go to the girls U18s

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793696 is a reply to message #793686 ]
Fri, 29 October 2021 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Fri, 29 October 2021 11:10

I don't think you can go to the media or police without getting the victim on-board for that. There's just too much danger that you end up exposing the player with potentially little or no consequence to the offender, because nothing can happen without the player confirming. The media guys can't really run with a story that's not confirmed by a principal person in it. Westhead needed to have Beach involved before he started running with the story.

And a lot of the guys may not have understood is was assault, at least at first. It sounds like in the management meeting, they knew he was making inappropriate approaches, but not that he'd actually assaulted him. They knew Beach's career had been threatened too. That was all Beach had told the Mental Skills coach at that point, so that's all the information they had to go on. Certainly, it was enough they probably should have fired or AT LEAST suspended him pending investigation. It probably wasn't enough to go to the cops with, especially without Beach as part of that discussion.

The problem is that these things are hard enough to investigate and convict on even with the victim's participation. It is impossible without it.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793677 is a reply to message #793656 ]
Fri, 29 October 2021 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 12:18

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 28 October 2021 12:10

Yep - given everything that's come out about this around Quenneville, I imagine Bettman is just handing him a sword and telling him to fall on it.

I think there's a chance Cheveldayoff skates off still. As the AGM, he wouldn't have had the final say, and there's not a bunch of damning quotes of him urging the others to keep the status quo. He could potentially argue that he wanted a different course of action but the call wasn't his to make.

I'm curious to see what happens with Fehr. Somehow, I don't think the players are going to take action against him over this, much as it has left him with a lot of egg on his face.

I didn't hear so did Beach tell the union about what happened way back in 2010? If he did and they did nothing, that's pretty terrible as their job is to protect the players.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793679 is a reply to message #793677 ]
Fri, 29 October 2021 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 29 October 2021 10:07

I didn't hear so did Beach tell the union about what happened way back in 2010? If he did and they did nothing, that's pretty terrible as their job is to protect the players.

Fehr was apparently apprised three times, by different people, about what happened. He did nothing. They apparently said at some point that they'd investigate, but did not.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793682 is a reply to message #793679 ]
Fri, 29 October 2021 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 29 October 2021 10:09

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 29 October 2021 10:07

Fehr was apparently apprised three times, by different people, about what happened. He did nothing. They apparently said at some point that they'd investigate, but did not.

Yikes. That's not good. I don't pretend to know how the union hierarchy works but when the boss knows about it and chooses to do nothing, pretty hard to excuse that.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793663 is a reply to message #788189 ]
Thu, 28 October 2021 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Sorry I had to share this comment from FB:

"The league should force the Blackhawks to reverse their logo as a permanent reminder that they looked the other way."

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793683 is a reply to message #793663 ]
Fri, 29 October 2021 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/quenneville-resigns-pan thers-coach-meeting-bettman/

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793684 is a reply to message #793683 ]
Fri, 29 October 2021 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I didn't see how Quenneville could keep his job.

I don't know exactly how it works when it comes to team decisions but I would think the big 3 when it comes to all things involving the team would be the:
- Team Pres/Pres Hockey OPs
- GM
- Head Coach

I am sure others give their 2 cents on things but I would guess whatever those 3 decide to do on anything, goes. Plus I am sure those 3 are the ones that ultimately decide who would stay on with the team and who goes. So Quenneville would have a direct hand in deciding what to do with any of his coaches including his video coach. So at the very least, those 3 to start should have lost their jobs, then trickles down.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 October 2021 11:08]

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793685 is a reply to message #793683 ]
Fri, 29 October 2021 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

My phone has told me the NHL has absolved Cheveldayoff of wrongdoing.

This is fine.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793692 is a reply to message #793685 ]
Fri, 29 October 2021 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 29 October 2021 11:07

My phone has told me the NHL has absolved Cheveldayoff of wrongdoing.

See my orphaned post at the bottom of the prior page. I think it's the right decision and the NHL does actually a decent job explaining their position.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793702 is a reply to message #793692 ]
Sat, 30 October 2021 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I don't understand why the door is open to Quennville returning at some point. Why not just say he's banned for life. I think that would look better on the NHL at this point.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #793703 is a reply to message #793702 ]
Sat, 30 October 2021 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Sat, 30 October 2021 09:32

I don't understand why the door is open to Quennville returning at some point. Why not just say he's banned for life. I think that would look better on the NHL at this point.

I think he is sort of like Pete Rose in baseball. His accomplishments are Hall of Fame worthy and he had the Florida Panthers with a perfect record this season. Suddenly he has to beg Bettmen if he wants a job as a Zamboni driver in an NHL arena. Can't condone his contribution to this disaster, but someone has to be the scapegoat and Bettman is going to do everything and anything to insulate his office from any blame.

Re: The Blackhawks and Allegations of Sexual Assault [message #794114 is a reply to message #788189 ]
Mon, 08 November 2021 22:55 Go to previous message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

TSN tonight ran audio of the mother of John Doe 2, the minor that Aldrich was convicted of sexually assaulting in 2013, recounting events of her son going to a year end hockey party, coming home changed, and later when being confronted on drug use, telling her that he'd been raped at this party (by Aldrich). She's obviously still very distraught just recounting what happened to her son, 8 years ago.....that's one of the toughest things I've listened to for awhile.

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time?
Next Topic:Eichel traded to Vegas
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca