This day on November 29
None

Happy Birthday To: Lew19, Houndtown, aheadby1, rwilford, Lucky Luc 20, onintwo, Gimmetrades

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #786871]
Sun, 30 May 2021 23:30 Go to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

Just thought I'd throw this out there for comparison...

Last generation of players, it was primarily Crosby versus Ovechkin when discussing the best player in the game. Dynamic, reliable and responsible Sid versus the offensive phenom of Ovechkin.

I think there are some parallels with this generation. I'd say it's McDavid versus MacKinnon that have established them as the penultimate talents. There are some other great players out there (Matthews included), however these two compare most favourably to the above, at least in my mind. It's sad to see it, however I think it's pretty clear that MacKinnon is more of a Crosby-type and McDavid is more of the offensive freak.

Sure, Colorado has the better team right now... and MacKinnon is competing for Cups as a result. That said, he seems like the type of player that will be competing for them often, doggedly determined to do anything he can to help his team win. He was an absolute monster in Game 1 versus the Knights tonight, and is already scoring at an absurd rate. He's a playoff performer, and McDavid, well... isn't really. It's not that Connor doesn't get points in the playoffs... Nate just simply brings his game to a god-like stratosphere, and Connor just keeps playing regular season hockey.

Just an observation.

Thoughts?

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #786874 is a reply to message #786871 ]
Sun, 30 May 2021 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

I don't buy that Connor isn't a playoff performer.

- 9 points in 13GP in his debut playoff run. Not what we are used to, but maybe people forget that it was his just his sophomore year.
- 9 points in 4GP against Chicago. He did his job there and did it really well. The rest of the team did not.
- 4 points in 4GP against Winnipeg. Considering the team only had 8 goals the whole series against an unbeatable goalie, I don't think it's fair to say he's not a playoff performer. He drove play all series.

Everyone will have more playoff success when he gets the support he deserves.

Clean house or bust

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #786875 is a reply to message #786871 ]
Sun, 30 May 2021 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 30 May 2021 22:30

Last generation of players, it was primarily Crosby versus Ovechkin when discussing the best player in the game. Dynamic, reliable and responsible Sid versus the offensive phenom of Ovechkin.

I think there are some parallels with this generation. I'd say it's McDavid versus MacKinnon that have established them as the penultimate talents. There are some other great players out there (Matthews included), however these two compare most favourably to the above, at least in my mind. It's sad to see it, however I think it's pretty clear that MacKinnon is more of a Crosby-type and McDavid is more of the offensive freak.

Sure, Colorado has the better team right now... and MacKinnon is competing for Cups as a result. That said, he seems like the type of player that will be competing for them often, doggedly determined to do anything he can to help his team win. He was an absolute monster in Game 1 versus the Knights tonight, and is already scoring at an absurd rate. He's a playoff performer, and McDavid, well... isn't really. It's not that Connor doesn't get points in the playoffs... Nate just simply brings his game to a god-like stratosphere, and Connor just keeps playing regular season hockey.

Just an observation.

Thoughts?

Nate has a MUCH deeper supporting cast.. his Defense alone is head and shoulders better at moving the puck up to him, they can each carry the puck up the ice and hit McKinnon in stride at full speed.. how often does that happen for Connor?.. its usually him having to pick up the puck and go in 1 on 2 or 3.

I was watching tonight's game McKinnon was getting a lot of great passes, plus he has two legit 1st line wingers, Rantanen and Landeskog. McD doesn't.. unless he plays with Draisatl at LW, Puljujarvi is ok, but he's no Rantanen at RW.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #786877 is a reply to message #786875 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

A few years ago Mackinnon was not regarded as a bust per se, but lots of talk about how he never quite lived up to his potential - 0.69PPG over his first 4 seasons with his best coming as a rookie at .77PPG. He was a decent NHLer, but nothing special.

Then BAM - 97 points (1.31PPG). Since the 2017-2018 season he has been one of the top players in the game. Even more deadly in the playoffs - 1.56PPG the last 4 years.

People (Toronto media) like to talk about Connor VS Auston, but I agree with HamBlaster, you're not talking the same level of player there. The conversation IMO is reallly Connor vs Nate. I'm biased so I pick Connor, but there is no denying what Nate has done the last 4 years, especially in the playoffs. And I think this year he's got a chance to add to his trophy cabinet.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 May 2021 08:36]

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #786880 is a reply to message #786875 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 30 May 2021 23:57

Just an observation.

Thoughts?

Nate has a MUCH deeper supporting cast.. his Defense alone is head and shoulders better at moving the puck up to him, they can each carry the puck up the ice and hit McKinnon in stride at full speed.. how often does that happen for Connor?.. its usually him having to pick up the puck and go in 1 on 2 or 3.

I was watching tonight's game McKinnon was getting a lot of great passes, plus he has two legit 1st line wingers, Rantanen and Landeskog. McD doesn't.. unless he plays with Draisatl at LW, Puljujarvi is ok, but he's no Rantanen at RW.

Can't even begin to fathom how much easier things would be for McDavid if he played on a team with 3 scoring lines like MacKinnon does. Colorado has opposing D constantly on their heels and their top line gets to take advantage of that all the time. Teams that play us just shift into 100% defensive mode for 1 of our lines and get to have fun against the other 3. It's just completely different and makes life a heck of a lot harder for our only line that can hope up do something offensive.

Sucks that the only time McDavid might get to play on a team like Colorado is in the Olympics.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #786891 is a reply to message #786880 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 08:26

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 30 May 2021 23:57

Just an observation.

Thoughts?

Can't even begin to fathom how much easier things would be for McDavid if he played on a team with 3 scoring lines like MacKinnon does. Colorado has opposing D constantly on their heels and their top line gets to take advantage of that all the time. Teams that play us just shift into 100% defensive mode for 1 of our lines and get to have fun against the other 3. It's just completely different and makes life a heck of a lot harder for our only line that can hope up do something offensive.

Sucks that the only time McDavid might get to play on a team like Colorado is in the Olympics.

Their defence seems to be designed around puck-movers too. They have Makar of course who's a superstar in his own right, but they also have Girard who's pretty darn good too. They traded for Devon Toews too, and so they have 3 defencemen with over 30 points this season. They seem somehow less concerned with having a bunch of big bodies who can "disrupt the cycle".

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks #FireTheGretzkys #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #786902 is a reply to message #786880 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 07:26

17/18 was also the year that things really started to click between MacKinnon and Rantanen. Rantanen went from 38 points playing on MacKinnon's wing in his rookie year in 16/17, to 84 points in 17/18. Hopefully we see a big jump with Puljujarvi this upcoming year.

Overall the Avs are much deeper, but as Adam mentioned that D group is killer, and miles ahead of the Oilers. That's why I get concerned that the Oilers seem pretty content to pencil in a pair like Kulikov/Larsson as the 2nd pair (assuming Klef isn't returning), and keep Lagesson as potentially the starting 3rd pair LD if Jones is gone in the expansion draft. Everything is just so much harder offensively with those guys on the ice. Didn't impact McDavid as much as he played almost exclusively with Nurse and Barrie, but if we're looking at depth scoring needing to improve, that's going to have an impact

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #786906 is a reply to message #786902 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 11:24

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 07:26

17/18 was also the year that things really started to click between MacKinnon and Rantanen. Rantanen went from 38 points playing on MacKinnon's wing in his rookie year in 16/17, to 84 points in 17/18. Hopefully we see a big jump with Puljujarvi this upcoming year.

Overall the Avs are much deeper, but as Adam mentioned that D group is killer, and miles ahead of the Oilers. That's why I get concerned that the Oilers seem pretty content to pencil in a pair like Kulikov/Larsson as the 2nd pair (assuming Klef isn't returning), and keep Lagesson as potentially the starting 3rd pair LD if Jones is gone in the expansion draft. Everything is just so much harder offensively with those guys on the ice. Didn't impact McDavid as much as he played almost exclusively with Nurse and Barrie, but if we're looking at depth scoring needing to improve, that's going to have an impact

The Oilers are real dinosaurs when it comes to this stuff. You don't really see Tampa or Colorado trying to ice a line like Larsson/Russell or Larsson/Kulikov every night in hopes of just grinding play to a halt while they're out there. The good teams are always looking for a transition to offence, no matter which line is on the ice. The Oilers seem to have started to design the team to McDavid carrying all the load offensively and just surviving when he's on the bench, but that's not a winning strategy.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks #FireTheGretzkys #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #786897 is a reply to message #786871 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 30 May 2021 23:30

Just an observation.

Thoughts?

MacKinnon has been in the league 7 years now and has won 3 rounds with his team in his career, so not a very successful story so far, or godlike.

Having a good playoffs this year, though.

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #786898 is a reply to message #786897 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 10:41

Just an observation.

Thoughts?

MacKinnon has been in the league 7 years now and has won 3 rounds with his team in his career, so not a very successful story so far, or godlike.

It's a bit weird how when his team had the kind of depth McDavid has had to deal with through his career he didn't get nearly as much done on the ice.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #786907 is a reply to message #786898 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

When it comes to the Mackinnon vs McD, yes the Avs are deeper which helps Mackinnon. I also get that the previous management made mistakes. But when it comes to the Avs, you do have to factor in the contract.

Mackinnon makes 6.3 mill. After being drafted, he sputtered off the start. He had 63 pts in 82, 38 pts in 64 games which is a 49 pt pace in 82 and 52 in 72 which is a 59 pt pace in 82. Signed a 7 yr deal, then had 53 in 82 then exploded.

In contrast for points.
McD makes 12.5 mill. His points, 48 in 45, then 100 in 82, 108 in 82. In those last 2 yrs, wins the art ross, Hart and Lindsay. McD is a better player than Mackinnon but he's not twice as good, yet he makes twice as much.

I get the Oilers have made bad moves and have bad money, I get it. but when your star player, a top 10 player in the league makes 4, 5, 6 mill less than he should be, that's an incredible advantage.

Then you factor in Makar who is a second year player but might be a top 10 dman in the NHL making under 900k.

Then you factor in Landeskog. I think Nuge over most of his contact has been slightly overpaid. They paid him because they expected him as a #1 overall to be their main center and for him to get better and better. They were not expecting him to not really improved as a center since his ELC was over. If you look at his point, as a center, he stagnated at mid 50's and only to OIlers fans who loved him, did anyone think he was a #1 center where in reality, it's just an OKish #2 and now he's really a winger. Landeskog has made 500k less than Nuge the whole time, only played 21 more games but has 33 more goals, 34 more pts and is a better overall player than Nuge. He's big, tough, physical, a captain and has probably been underpaid the whole time.

So it will be interesting to see how the Avs and their depth are next year with Makar needing a new deal which will be what, over 10 times the 880k he makes at least? Then Landeskog I doubt gets a paycut. He deserves to at least stay the same, probably a bit of a raise. So of their 19 mill in cap space, there goes 3/4 of it with 2 guys.

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #786908 is a reply to message #786907 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 12:31

When it comes to the Mackinnon vs McD, yes the Avs are deeper which helps Mackinnon. I also get that the previous management made mistakes. But when it comes to the Avs, you do have to factor in the contract.

Mackinnon makes 6.3 mill. After being drafted, he sputtered off the start. He had 63 pts in 82, 38 pts in 64 games which is a 49 pt pace in 82 and 52 in 72 which is a 59 pt pace in 82. Signed a 7 yr deal, then had 53 in 82 then exploded.

In contrast for points.
McD makes 12.5 mill. His points, 48 in 45, then 100 in 82, 108 in 82. In those last 2 yrs, wins the art ross, Hart and Lindsay. McD is a better player than Mackinnon but he's not twice as good, yet he makes twice as much.

I get the Oilers have made bad moves and have bad money, I get it. but when your star player, a top 10 player in the league makes 4, 5, 6 mill less than he should be, that's an incredible advantage.

Then you factor in Makar who is a second year player but might be a top 10 dman in the NHL making under 900k.

Then you factor in Landeskog. I think Nuge over most of his contact has been slightly overpaid. They paid him because they expected him as a #1 overall to be their main center and for him to get better and better. They were not expecting him to not really improved as a center since his ELC was over. If you look at his point, as a center, he stagnated at mid 50's and only to OIlers fans who loved him, did anyone think he was a #1 center where in reality, it's just an OKish #2 and now he's really a winger. Landeskog has made 500k less than Nuge the whole time, only played 21 more games but has 33 more goals, 34 more pts and is a better overall player than Nuge. He's big, tough, physical, a captain and has probably been underpaid the whole time.

So it will be interesting to see how the Avs and their depth are next year with Makar needing a new deal which will be what, over 10 times the 880k he makes at least? Then Landeskog I doubt gets a paycut. He deserves to at least stay the same, probably a bit of a raise. So of their 19 mill in cap space, there goes 3/4 of it with 2 guys.

I think there is definitely a sense in Colorado that they have to go for it this year. Makar, Grubauer, Landeskog all need new deals. Saad will likely be gone. Things are going to be tougher for them after this season. I don't think at this point though that we can doubt Sakic making some crafty moves to keep icing a very good team.

On the flip side of this. Matthews/Marner cost 1.5M more than McDrai. Who would ever make that trade swapping those groups of 2 players? Not even considering how Matthews and Marner cost more. Leafs have been largely carried by their depth these playoffs. Imagine if we could have made decent use of the rest of our money to have depth helping out McDrai these playoffs giving our opposition more to care about than 1 line.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #786909 is a reply to message #786908 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 12:38

In contrast for points.

I think there is definitely a sense in Colorado that they have to go for it this year. Makar, Grubauer, Landeskog all need new deals. Saad will likely be gone. Things are going to be tougher for them after this season. I don't think at this point though that we can doubt Sakic making some crafty moves to keep icing a very good team.

On the flip side of this. Matthews/Marner cost 1.5M more than McDrai. Who would ever make that trade swapping those groups of 2 players? Not even considering how Matthews and Marner cost more. Leafs have been largely carried by their depth these playoffs. Imagine if we could have made decent use of the rest of our money to have depth helping out McDrai these playoffs giving our opposition more to care about than 1 line.

You are right and what's it got the Leafs over the Oilers? They made the playoffs a bit more but they have no success.

I heard on Sportnet this morning, them talk about how the Leafs have been the experiment over several years where they have so much tied up in their top guys and have relied heavily on them for year while the bottom of their team and even their defense have just been mediocre. So far the Leafs haven't won a single series yet, melted down several times and are potentially melting down again tonight. I have to think all the momentum is with the Habs and as long as Price stays Price, I think the Habs might come back. So if the Leafs do lose, it will be interesting to see what happens because as you said, the Leafs bottom 6 have carried the team, all those old men while Mathews and Marner I think have 1 goal total.

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #786910 is a reply to message #786909 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 12:55

In contrast for points.

You are right and what's it got the Leafs over the Oilers? They made the playoffs a bit more but they have no success.

I heard on Sportnet this morning, them talk about how the Leafs have been the experiment over several years where they have so much tied up in their top guys and have relied heavily on them for year while the bottom of their team and even their defense have just been mediocre. So far the Leafs haven't won a single series yet, melted down several times and are potentially melting down again tonight. I have to think all the momentum is with the Habs and as long as Price stays Price, I think the Habs might come back. So if the Leafs do lose, it will be interesting to see what happens because as you said, the Leafs bottom 6 have carried the team, all those old men while Mathews and Marner I think have 1 goal total.

I think if Edmonton and the Leafs swapped everyone except McDrai and Matthews/Marner, we would have some playoff success, plus 1.5M more to spend than the Leafs did :)

Just saying, Leafs have usable depth for their extra 59M or whatever it is. We have next to none for our extra 60.5M beyond our top 2 guys. I don't think there is any question that the leafs have far better depth in their lineup than us. Holding off feeling a bit bad for them for their injuries until they are eliminated.

All this setting aside the potential epic choke that the leafs may do tonight, which will be largely because their supposed Generational guy doesn't show up.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 May 2021 13:01]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #786914 is a reply to message #786910 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 12:59

In contrast for points.

I think if Edmonton and the Leafs swapped everyone except McDrai and Matthews/Marner, we would have some playoff success, plus 1.5M more to spend than the Leafs did :)

Just saying, Leafs have usable depth for their extra 59M or whatever it is. We have next to none for our extra 60.5M beyond our top 2 guys. I don't think there is any question that the leafs have far better depth in their lineup than us. Holding off feeling a bit bad for them for their injuries until they are eliminated.

All this setting aside the potential epic choke that the leafs may do tonight, which will be largely because their supposed Generational guy doesn't show up.

And I don't think that's really a fair assessment anyhow. The Leafs have outshot the Habs 205-175 in the series and outshot them in 4 of 6 games. They tied in shots in another, and only in Game 4 (a Toronto win) did the Canadiens have more shots.

Matthews & Marner between them have 49 shots and a single goal. It's goaltending and luck that has kept Montreal alive. I hope they complete the comeback tonight, because I think it'll be the worst thing for two Canadian teams - Toronto may make dramatic changes in a kneejerk reaction because of an upset (when really, they probably should stay the course), while Montreal will keep a mediocre GM and coach longer.

Any team can get upset in a playoff round, but the fact is, if the Oilers had a series where in six games McDavid and Draisaitl only had a single goal, then they probably don't even get to play a game 7.

Depth is critical. The Maple Leafs have shown they have some and it has made a difference in keeping them alive while Matthews and Marner have been shutdown. Colorado is showing how effective it is to keep attacking line after line. Tampa Bay won a Cup last year with some depth guys contributing more in that playoff run than we get out of some depth players in an entire season here - more than Patrick Russell has contributed in his entire career.

It's not enough to have a superstar player or two. They need help, and until the Oilers figure that out, I think we're going to struggle.

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #786917 is a reply to message #786914 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 13:14

In contrast for points.

And I don't think that's really a fair assessment anyhow. The Leafs have outshot the Habs 205-175 in the series and outshot them in 4 of 6 games. They tied in shots in another, and only in Game 4 (a Toronto win) did the Canadiens have more shots.

Matthews & Marner between them have 49 shots and a single goal. It's goaltending and luck that has kept Montreal alive. I hope they complete the comeback tonight, because I think it'll be the worst thing for two Canadian teams - Toronto may make dramatic changes in a kneejerk reaction because of an upset (when really, they probably should stay the course), while Montreal will keep a mediocre GM and coach longer.

Any team can get upset in a playoff round, but the fact is, if the Oilers had a series where in six games McDavid and Draisaitl only had a single goal, then they probably don't even get to play a game 7.

Depth is critical. The Maple Leafs have shown they have some and it has made a difference in keeping them alive while Matthews and Marner have been shutdown. Colorado is showing how effective it is to keep attacking line after line. Tampa Bay won a Cup last year with some depth guys contributing more in that playoff run than we get out of some depth players in an entire season here - more than Patrick Russell has contributed in his entire career.

It's not enough to have a superstar player or two. They need help, and until the Oilers figure that out, I think we're going to struggle.

Yeah, we ran into a hot goalie that helped to really suppress the tops of our lineups along with the focused defensive effort of the opposing skaters. Leafs probably are swept if they had our depth to make up the difference. The 5-1 game Matthews/Marner actually did something still had goals from Spezza, Sandin, Nylander and Kerfoot. Their other 2 wins were Nylander x2, Rielly, Spezza, Thornton and Galchenyuk scoring. Jerks.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #786925 is a reply to message #786917 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 13:21

Adam wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 13:14

In contrast for points.

Yeah, we ran into a hot goalie that helped to really suppress the tops of our lineups along with the focused defensive effort of the opposing skaters. Leafs probably are swept if they had our depth to make up the difference. The 5-1 game Matthews/Marner actually did something still had goals from Spezza, Sandin, Nylander and Kerfoot. Their other 2 wins were Nylander x2, Rielly, Spezza, Thornton and Galchenyuk scoring. Jerks.

Some smart GM moves to bring some of those guys in too. Spezza and Thornton are at the end of their career and not ideally first line players any more, but they still have skill and vision which you're not going to get out of a Khaira or Archibald. Galchenyuk is a talented guy who's battled some demons, so he's cheaper than he might otherwise be. He's a nice reclamation project at an attractive price.

Hyman came via trade and develop. Kerfoot came as part of the Kadri deal. Nylander was draft and develop - and keep even when he's had his struggles.

They've built depth a number of different ways, and it gave them the division title in a walk, and it's kept them alive while the star players try to get on track. I hope they lose, but if not, then I do expect them to stomp Winnipeg, even if the Jets are allowed to continue to hook, hold and interfere with impunity.

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #787240 is a reply to message #786925 ]
Fri, 04 June 2021 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=183639

Let's go Brandon!! #FJB

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #787257 is a reply to message #787240 ]
Fri, 04 June 2021 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Gator21 wrote on Fri, 04 June 2021 18:13

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=183639

I hardly ever go there, but when I do it is always great for comic relief from whatever is bugging me. I find it amazing how every thread seems to have this undercurrent of envy and jealousy of the Oilers having McDavid and Draisaitl - this must be because of the sh!i!t show they are stuck with.

Having lived in Cowtown for far too long - it doesn't surprise me how poor the quality of poster is on that site. Some of the comments I used to hear in the office were laughable (when I still went into the office for work ;-) - Covid has been good for something - I don't have to hear that crap in person anymore)

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #786912 is a reply to message #786898 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 11:01

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 31 May 2021 10:41

Just an observation.

Thoughts?

It's a bit weird how when his team had the kind of depth McDavid has had to deal with through his career he didn't get nearly as much done on the ice.

MacKinnon didn't have a breakthrough season until his 5th in the league. I think even for great players you need some planet alignment along with a well assembled team to win it all in this league. Check out TB. If you get that breakthrough when your key players are still young, though, you get opportunities like Crosby. If not, you might get one like OV, or maybe you don't.

Re: Sid vs OV - Connor vs Nate [message #790796 is a reply to message #786871 ]
Tue, 03 August 2021 03:00 Go to previous message
Rabbeyick  is currently offline Rabbeyick

No Cups

almost an assist a game 2021 with best +/- for nate tbf

Previous Topic:56 game seaon starting Jan 13, NHL/NHLPA agreement
Next Topic:2021 NHL Entry Draft
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca