This day on November 29
None

Happy Birthday To: Lew19, Houndtown, aheadby1, rwilford, Lucky Luc 20, onintwo, Gimmetrades

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » When do we start to panic?Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 When do we start to panic? [message #786730]
Thu, 27 May 2021 14:27 Go to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

What would be a sign for you that we won't contend next year[ 39 vote(s) ]
1.Holland decides Smith/Kostko are our goalies next year 10 / 26%
2.Holland doesn't get a good roster player (top 6 F, top 4 D) around the draft 1 / 3%
3.Holland overpays Nuge (7M+) 6 / 15%
4.We fail to get the cap hit of Neal or Kostko off the team 2 / 5%
5.A week after free agency we don't have a Barrie replacement and/or quality 3rd line C 1 / 3%
6.We simply enter next season with basically the same shallow roster and are depending on kids to fill the gaps 18 / 46%
7.Nothing can make me doubt we will be a much better team next year 0 / 0%
8.Other. Please explain 1 / 3%

So, that press conference was pretty low on substance, except that we can't sign Smith quickly enough and we love Nuge. And of course Holland has been there, and apparently Nuge changed his first name to Daniel?

MacT taught us well that less information can be a good thing. Being a blabbermouth laying out all your plans for the summer right down to which players you're desperate to trade away is a bad idea :). Bonus points if you don't declare the next season as just a development year a day after your current season just ended.

So, we're all hoping for Holland to pull a rabbit (probably needs multiple rabbits) out of a hat to fix this mess. This is a summer that may demand near perfection from management to actually turn this team into a contender next year, so I'm wondering what people think would be a sure sign to them that the chance at near perfection has pretty much blown up and we're likely screwed next year.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 May 2021 14:29]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Send a private message to this user  

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786732 is a reply to message #786730 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Panic may not be the right word. I'll confirm my decades' long bearish stance on the Oilers when they give Smith a raise and don't get the work done to find a suitable back up for a 40 year old man. We saw what happened at the start of the year when Smith sneezed in the shower (or something) and couldn't play for a couple of weeks and I'm not certain we should be expecting Vezina consideration from someone who is almost as old as Adam.

This is fine.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786734 is a reply to message #786732 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 14:38

Panic may not be the right word. I'll confirm my decades' long bearish stance on the Oilers when they give Smith a raise and don't get the work done to find a suitable back up for a 40 year old man. We saw what happened at the start of the year when Smith sneezed in the shower (or something) and couldn't play for a couple of weeks and I'm not certain we should be expecting Vezina consideration from someone who is almost as old as Adam.

Maybe panic is too much, we're all pretty desensitized about failure, but I think there is a solid case for panic to start with people. At least anyone that is invested in this team winning with McDrai.

1 more wasted year and Drai has 3 seasons left, McDavid has 4. If we keep sucking we might have to look at trading Drai early to maximize a return if the writing is on the wall that he doesn't want to extend here. So, that might only leave 2 years to become a true consistent contender.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786750 is a reply to message #786734 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 14:49

Maybe panic is too much, we're all pretty desensitized about failure, but I think there is a solid case for panic to start with people. At least anyone that is invested in this team winning with McDrai.

1 more wasted year and Drai has 3 seasons left, McDavid has 4. If we keep sucking we might have to look at trading Drai early to maximize a return if the writing is on the wall that he doesn't want to extend here. So, that might only leave 2 years to become a true consistent contender.

Man imagine what you could get for Draisaitl though. We’re talking two, maybe three Cody Ceci’s!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786745 is a reply to message #786732 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

The one posting this? Or the guy at the beginning of the Bible?

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks #FireTheGretzkys #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786746 is a reply to message #786745 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 17:38

The ages are close enough that it doesn’t matter.

This is fine.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786748 is a reply to message #786745 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

I assumed they were one and the same

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786752 is a reply to message #786748 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 18:58

I assumed they were one and the same

Exactly. You can’t tell me with a straight face they are different people.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786754 is a reply to message #786730 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Now?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786758 is a reply to message #786754 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 19:20

Now?

“After one season of head coaching the edmonton Oilers are proud to announce our new general manager... Kevin Lowe”.

This is fine.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786760 is a reply to message #786758 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 20:45

Now?

“After one season of head coaching the edmonton Oilers are proud to announce our new general manager... Kevin Lowe”.

I’d buy a Kraken jersey pretty quick...

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786763 is a reply to message #786760 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 20:55

Now?

If McDavid asks to leave...

This is fine.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786765 is a reply to message #786763 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 21:28

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 27 May 2021 20:55

Now?

If McDavid asks to leave...

Word is the Kraken jersey will drop in early July. In retail anyways. I'm assuming they'll have them for the Expansion Draft (if there's any in person piece).

Remember Fleury showed up in Vegas and donned the Golden Knights sweater? Imagine if Koskinen did that!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786767 is a reply to message #786765 ]
Fri, 28 May 2021 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Start to panic? Dude, we already been there since 06.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786757 is a reply to message #786730 ]
Thu, 27 May 2021 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

Goalies. I would take Smith as a 25-30 game solid backup to anyone but Koskinen.
I think a bunch of moves are going to be made (probably nothing earth-shattering, many small ones) so I'm fine seeing how the market plays out this summer for skaters. But come back with those two in net and I'm probably not buying ESPN+ to watch next season.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786768 is a reply to message #786730 ]
Fri, 28 May 2021 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

"shallow roster and are depending on kids to fill the gaps"

Even if we still ride Smith & Kosk again (blech), they were still good enough in the regular season and Smith wasn't the problem in the playoffs. We just didn't have a good enough team to take up the slack from when the other team threw everything at shutting down 97 and 29.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786770 is a reply to message #786730 ]
Fri, 28 May 2021 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Kahun is still a top 6 forward..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786771 is a reply to message #786730 ]
Fri, 28 May 2021 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I think the point where you panic is when Ryan Rishaug asks a question about whether there is more urgency to produce a winner now...

Oh...or do you mean when should WE start panicking?

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks #FireTheGretzkys #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786774 is a reply to message #786730 ]
Fri, 28 May 2021 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

.. or Bear is top 2 RH D.. I'm hoping for an upgrade to pair with Nurse, Larsson comes back as #2 RH D

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786778 is a reply to message #786774 ]
Fri, 28 May 2021 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 28 May 2021 09:55

.. or Bear is top 2 RH D.. I'm hoping for an upgrade to pair with Nurse, Larsson comes back as #2 RH D

What about the left side if/when, Klef discloses he isn’t coming back? Do we get forcefed Broberg?

faint

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786781 is a reply to message #786778 ]
Fri, 28 May 2021 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 28 May 2021 10:37

What about the left side if/when, Klef discloses he isn’t coming back? Do we get forcefed Broberg?

faint

With the emergence of Nurse who looks like he is that missing #1 dman for the Oilers, in my opinion they need a second pairing guy. So assuming Klefbom is not back, they would have his 4.16 mill. I believe you can easily get a good seconding pairing dman for that money. Why?

The cap is flat, will be flat for years and revenues are down. So teams are not going to be as willing to throw around money and term to guys like usual. they will be more cautious. I don't know who but I am sure there are left shot dmen who are good players but had a down year going into their UFA year. It happens. So they just cost themselves money and term. So look what happened to Barrie. He had exactly that happen last year, his value was down so he signed a 1 yr with the Oilers and crushed it. He will get a big raise both in money and term because he played with McD and Leon. So I think there will be a left shot guy willing to do that. Why wouldn't you? Maybe you won't get PP time but so what. Chances are as a second pairing guy you will be out on the ice with 1 of McD or Leon 5 on 5. So sign that 1 yr deal at under 4, pump those points up on the Oilers who should be a good team, get yourself that longer term, bigger money deal.

I look at Kulikov. No world beater, he can play as a second pairing guy and do alright but I would prefer an upgrade. He signed for 1 yr 1.5 mill last year. So if you spent 2.5 - 3 on a slight upgrade, I would think you can find a guy looking to pad the stats and to get him that one last big deal.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786809 is a reply to message #786778 ]
Fri, 28 May 2021 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 28 May 2021 09:37

faint

If Klef is on "LTIR" <wink> until his full recovery for the playoffs.. then yes we need to upgrade at #2 LHD.

Bear for me is a #3 RH D, Larsson is your #2 RH D, and I want Bouchard playing full time next year, but he's not close to #1, if he killed it in training camp maybe a #2 .. but Larsson is there, so I'd want Bouchard #3 RH D.. next year.

So ideally I'd want a #1 RH D upgrade, via UFA/Trade. That leaves Bear taking what I'd consider Bouchard's spot at #3 RH D (and PP QB)

So in total for defense, an upgrade at #1 RH D, and a #2 LH D.

Unless a kid like Samorukov came in and played like a seasoned pro. He played top 4 for the top KHL team last year, could be a surprise.
From what I read about Broberg in the SHL, he likely has a year of pro-development in Bakersfield at the Dave Manson School of Defense.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786783 is a reply to message #786774 ]
Fri, 28 May 2021 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I think Bear is badly under-rated by some here who tend to remember only specific gaffes and not the entirety of his play. It's a lot of the same criticism we heard about Jeff Petry at a similar age and point in his development path, and often from the same people.

I think the right side would be fine next year with Bear, Larsson and Bouchard. The left side is good too - as long as Klefbom is coming back. (I do wonder if Klefbom's salary is factored in when people keep saying we have $25MM to spend). If he's not, then they need an upgrade there. Nurse, Jones, Russell, Lagesson is pretty weak, and that's assuming we don't lose Jones in the expansion draft. I still really hate that Russell has yet another year here.

There's been some concern with Bear that like virtually every defenceman we've had at his point on development, the Oilers sell low and end up with egg on their face, but I wonder if the business side of the Oilers has any pull there. He's right up there with McDavid in the number of jerseys he helps to sell, so trading him off could be an economic hit as well...somehow, I doubt Jake DeBrusk jerseys would sell at the same rate.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786791 is a reply to message #786783 ]
Fri, 28 May 2021 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 28 May 2021 10:19

I think Bear is badly under-rated by some here who tend to remember only specific gaffes and not the entirety of his play. It's a lot of the same criticism we heard about Jeff Petry at a similar age and point in his development path, and often from the same people.

I think the right side would be fine next year with Bear, Larsson and Bouchard. The left side is good too - as long as Klefbom is coming back. (I do wonder if Klefbom's salary is factored in when people keep saying we have $25MM to spend). If he's not, then they need an upgrade there. Nurse, Jones, Russell, Lagesson is pretty weak, and that's assuming we don't lose Jones in the expansion draft. I still really hate that Russell has yet another year here.

There's been some concern with Bear that like virtually every defenceman we've had at his point on development, the Oilers sell low and end up with egg on their face, but I wonder if the business side of the Oilers has any pull there. He's right up there with McDavid in the number of jerseys he helps to sell, so trading him off could be an economic hit as well...somehow, I doubt Jake DeBrusk jerseys would sell at the same rate.

Bear still has less than 100 NHL games of experience. He's gonna be a great 2nd pairing player, just give the kid time to develop. The dude made some bad plays in the playoffs, but what are you expecting from a guy with barely more than one season thrown out against a better rounded and experienced team.

Remember how we were worried about Nurse and he finally put it together this season as a legit top pairing guy? This is his sixth season.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786797 is a reply to message #786783 ]
Fri, 28 May 2021 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 28 May 2021 11:19

There's been some concern with Bear that like virtually every defenseman we've had at his point on development, the Oilers sell low and end up with egg on their face, but I wonder if the business side of the Oilers has any pull there. He's right up there with McDavid in the number of jerseys he helps to sell, so trading him off could be an economic hit as well...somehow, I doubt Jake DeBrusk jerseys would sell at the same rate.

I don't know about other commenters, but you are reading and assuming an awful lot based on a few comments if you are referring to me. For long stretches he wasn't good this year in terms of being too prone to mistakes and that is what I was commenting on, but we all know development with defensemen is not generally a straight line. He has tons of potential especially for what, a 5th round pick - Chiarelli was good at one thing at least - but he still needs some work. He's definitely a keeper, no matter whether it is 1st, 2nd or 3rd pairing. He has some physical disadvantages - strength, size, speed, but he has improved on all of those and I hope he continues to do so. His advantage is he is smart and generally makes good decisions from what I see - that has allowed him to play where he has in the lineup despite not being huge, really fast or super strong.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #786883 is a reply to message #786797 ]
Mon, 31 May 2021 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Fri, 28 May 2021 13:17

Adam wrote on Fri, 28 May 2021 11:19

There's been some concern with Bear that like virtually every defenseman we've had at his point on development, the Oilers sell low and end up with egg on their face, but I wonder if the business side of the Oilers has any pull there. He's right up there with McDavid in the number of jerseys he helps to sell, so trading him off could be an economic hit as well...somehow, I doubt Jake DeBrusk jerseys would sell at the same rate.

I don't know about other commenters, but you are reading and assuming an awful lot based on a few comments if you are referring to me. For long stretches he wasn't good this year in terms of being too prone to mistakes and that is what I was commenting on, but we all know development with defensemen is not generally a straight line. He has tons of potential especially for what, a 5th round pick - Chiarelli was good at one thing at least - but he still needs some work. He's definitely a keeper, no matter whether it is 1st, 2nd or 3rd pairing. He has some physical disadvantages - strength, size, speed, but he has improved on all of those and I hope he continues to do so. His advantage is he is smart and generally makes good decisions from what I see - that has allowed him to play where he has in the lineup despite not being huge, really fast or super strong.

Keeping Bear is essential. We heard the same crap about Nurse until basically the mid point of this season and even then we have detractors. Very few NHL DMen step into the league and play mistake free hockey. Quinn Hughes consistently makes blunders and he is considered by most a can't miss top pairing dman. Give him time, provide him with a solid veteran and shelter his minutes.

The Doughty's and Makar's are as common as the McDavid's and McKinnon's. The rest need to learn the game as they play. I know the NHL is not a development league, but it is not like he's a turnstile.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #787112 is a reply to message #786783 ]
Thu, 03 June 2021 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perkele  is currently offline Perkele

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 28 May 2021 13:19

somehow, I doubt Jake DeBrusk jerseys would sell at the same rate.

If the Oilers were to get Jake DeBrusk, I would be first in line to get his jersey...it would go so well with the Louie one I have had since I was 13. Or better yet, he could wear #29 and save me some money.

I don't disagree with you that we should keep Bear and accept that young Dmen have growing pains but I just couldn't resist the chance to share my love for Louie just one more time.

#teamBath(i)robe

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #787116 is a reply to message #787112 ]
Thu, 03 June 2021 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Perkele wrote on Thu, 03 June 2021 07:42

If the Oilers were to get Jake DeBrusk, I would be first in line to get his jersey...it would go so well with the Louie one I have had since I was 13. Or better yet, he could wear #29 and save me some money.

I don't disagree with you that we should keep Bear and accept that young Dmen have growing pains but I just couldn't resist the chance to share my love for Louie just one more time.

I don't like his odds of getting #29...unless the Oilers make a really bad trade the other way.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #787122 is a reply to message #787116 ]
Thu, 03 June 2021 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 03 June 2021 11:26

Perkele wrote on Thu, 03 June 2021 07:42

I don't like his odds of getting #29...unless the Oilers make a really bad trade the other way.

Don't you dare ruin my dreams...the guy who currently wears #29 is on a horrible downturn in his career. A massive freefall from being the point leader and Hart trophy winner a year ago to merely the second leading scorer this year...it is time for him to realize his best days are behind him and he is only doing a disservice to the great years that Louie DeBrusk had wearing that # as an Oiler.

Obviously kidding...for anyone who didn't figure that out already!

#teamBath(i)robe

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #787123 is a reply to message #786730 ]
Thu, 03 June 2021 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

After watching more of these playoffs, I'm really thinking a huge goalie upgrade is an absolute must. I appreciate Smith defying the odds and having a great season, but he really sagged in the last 2 games of our series.

We definitely need to upgrade depth too, but damn can a good goalie do a lot for teams. Guess that's the takeaway almost every playoffs, but a fresh reminder was good. I can't see any way that Kostko/Smith gets the job done, right off the bat that may indeed be the nail in the coffin of another season if that's Holland's plan. Which could be really sad, since he might make that apparent in just a month or so from now.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #787130 is a reply to message #787123 ]
Thu, 03 June 2021 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 03 June 2021 12:27

After watching more of these playoffs, I'm really thinking a huge goalie upgrade is an absolute must. I appreciate Smith defying the odds and having a great season, but he really sagged in the last 2 games of our series.

We definitely need to upgrade depth too, but damn can a good goalie do a lot for teams. Guess that's the takeaway almost every playoffs, but a fresh reminder was good. I can't see any way that Kostko/Smith gets the job done, right off the bat that may indeed be the nail in the coffin of another season if that's Holland's plan. Which could be really sad, since he might make that apparent in just a month or so from now.

This offseason is the perfect time to get a goalie. There will be a number of teams that will have more than one quality goalie who will need to be protected in the expansion draft so would likely be willing to move one and get something as opposed to losing one for nothing.

#teamBath(i)robe

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #787132 is a reply to message #787130 ]
Thu, 03 June 2021 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Perkele wrote on Thu, 03 June 2021 11:19

This offseason is the perfect time to get a goalie. There will be a number of teams that will have more than one quality goalie who will need to be protected in the expansion draft so would likely be willing to move one and get something as opposed to losing one for nothing.

I think you're ignoring the fact that clearly Smith has mastered his craft and he's likely to only get better from here on out. He really needs to be rewarded for working last year cheap with a significant raise for next season and make sure everyone knows the starter's job is his to lose.

I do think we'll be in play for Mrazek because he once played for Detroit. Holland loves going after guys he had before.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #787133 is a reply to message #787132 ]
Thu, 03 June 2021 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 03 June 2021 11:23

I think you're ignoring the fact that clearly Smith has mastered his craft and he's likely to only get better from here on out. He really needs to be rewarded for working last year cheap with a significant raise for next season and make sure everyone knows the starter's job is his to lose.

I do think we'll be in play for Mrazek because he once played for Detroit. Holland loves going after guys he had before.

Is Smith playing the majority of games and the playoff starter by default no matter who else we sign? Guess I could see that.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #787134 is a reply to message #787132 ]
Thu, 03 June 2021 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

I assume you think Mrazek is a bad goalie?

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #787137 is a reply to message #787134 ]
Thu, 03 June 2021 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 03 June 2021 11:29

I assume you think Mrazek is a bad goalie?

Nope. He's an adequate goalie.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #787135 is a reply to message #787130 ]
Thu, 03 June 2021 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Perkele wrote on Thu, 03 June 2021 14:19

Someone less lazy than me should put together a list of teams with 2 goalies that are not exempt from the expansion draft. Like you say, there will never be a better time.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #787139 is a reply to message #787135 ]
Thu, 03 June 2021 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 03 June 2021 11:34

Someone less lazy than me should put together a list of teams with 2 goalies that are not exempt from the expansion draft. Like you say, there will never be a better time.

It's not as good a list as I once hoped it would be.

Vegas for sure - but they're draft ineligible. Boston, although Halak is no spring chicken.

But Columbus, New York...a lot of the teams with two good guys are saved by having one junior enough that he doesn't need to be protected.

I think that the Canucks are praying they take Holtby, but I wouldn't (as the Oilers or the Kraken).

Looking at Capfriendly on Auto-draft, it's pretty slim pickings. Francouz from Colorado. Khudobin in Dallas. Jake Allen in Montreal. Jack Campbell? Laurent Brossoit? There's a few UFAs that are options - it's probably deeper than the group needing protection.

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #787141 is a reply to message #787139 ]
Thu, 03 June 2021 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 03 June 2021 14:47

Vegas for sure - but they're draft ineligible. Boston, although Halak is no spring chicken.

But Columbus, New York...a lot of the teams with two good guys are saved by having one junior enough that he doesn't need to be protected.

I think that the Canucks are praying they take Holtby, but I wouldn't (as the Oilers or the Kraken).

Looking at Capfriendly on Auto-draft, it's pretty slim pickings. Francouz from Colorado. Khudobin in Dallas. Jake Allen in Montreal. Jack Campbell? Laurent Brossoit? There's a few UFAs that are options - it's probably deeper than the group needing protection.

Do Elvis' years as a pro in Europe not count?

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #787142 is a reply to message #787141 ]
Thu, 03 June 2021 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 03 June 2021 12:04

Adam wrote on Thu, 03 June 2021 14:47

Do Elvis' years as a pro in Europe not count?

Nope, he's exempt.

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle

Re: When do we start to panic? [message #787143 is a reply to message #787139 ]
Thu, 03 June 2021 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

Yeah, looking at the list from capfriendly, I didn't realize that some of the guys I thought would be available actually don't need to be protected.

A quick look and I did find some guys that I would be happy if Holland found a way to bring in this summer (assuming the price is right). You previously mentioned Mrazek and Khudobin, and I would also be happy if we found a way to get Vanacek (Wash), Jarry or DeSmith (pitt), Talbot (minn, but i know that a return is very unlikely), Vlader (bos, a bruins friend of mine is convinced he will be something special), or whichever coyotes goalie is unprotected.

It isn't nearly as deep a list as I was expecting but there seem to be half a dozen guys that I would rather see between our pipes than Smith. Also, some teams like CBJ or NYR might be willing to move one of their goalies (even though they wont lose one to the expansion draft).

#teamBath(i)robe

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Hall vs Nuge
Next Topic:The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca