2019-20 Regular Season
Sunday, October 20, 2019Edmonton 0 @ Winnipeg 1 (OT) (SO)Loss
Saturday, February 29, 2020Winnipeg 2 @ Edmonton 3Win
Wednesday, March 11, 2020Winnipeg 4 @ Edmonton 2Loss
Home Record: 1-1-0       Road Record: 0-0-1       Overall Record: 1-1-1
Home / Road Goals For: 5/0 Total: 5
Home / Road Goals Against: 6/1 Total: 7

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785766 is a reply to message #785763 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

M(J)ust Win lads

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785767 is a reply to message #785763 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

No Cups

Some thoughts heading into Game 2...

Despite the fact the Oilers dominated play, Tippett had lines changed up again yesterday at practice. I can't decide if this means he's tinkering needlessly as he's prone to do. (He was an early investor in the MacT(tm) Blender!) Or, is he just trying to throw the Jets off? Who can tell.

One change I might consider is putting in Nygard. He draws penalties.

I hope Kassian brings the same energy as the first game. Yes, his run at whoever was a contributing factor in the first goal, but there were about three other factors contributing to the goal too. If it doesn't go in, no one even mentions the run.

As Tippett double-shifted his lines, the Neal-McLeod-Kassian line suddenly made sense. Paired with McDavid's line, he gets a pair of wingers on the double shift that he has had success with in the past. If McLeod was a video game character, changing him early for McDavid would be the best power-up move.

More chaos in front of Hellebuyck! Most good goalies today are good because they can track the puck. It's harder to track the puck in chaos. The Jets D aren't that big. The Oilers can win some battles in front of the net. Look at Puljujarvi's goal! Throw it off the pads. Throw it off the dmans pants. If there's no clear pass and you have bodies in front, create chaos.

I don't know if he took special courses in reading the ice while he was hurt or not, but I wasn't comfortable with how much Koekkoek was up in the play. He reminded me of the way I play offensive d-man at shinny: jump up in the rush at EVERY opportunity.

Hoping for the same effort with a few better bounces, maybe a couple of calls and a bit better fine tuning on the execution.

McDavid was held off the scoresheet 11 times in the regular season. In his next game he averaged 1.91 ppg (21 points) and that includes the three game blanking by the Leafs. The Leafs were the only team to hold him scoreless back-to-back games. The other three times a team had a chance McDavid went off for 4, 5 & 3 points respectively.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 May 2021 07:38]

Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785768 is a reply to message #785763 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Will the real Nugent Hopkins, please stand up.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785770 is a reply to message #785768 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 07:09

No freaking doubt man. Oilers don't have anymore league MVP's and scoring champs to try to wake Nuge up. It's OK to touch someone Nuge. Get in the game more.

For the game. Need to bring more traffic to the net. Start the game off with a lot of intensity. Take it to the Jets. Their defense isn't that good, go after them, make them have to haul you down. Every 3rd and 4th liner, finish your checks. McLeod, I like your skill and speed but you are big boy, it's OK to touch someone. Khaira, 4th line centers need more than 2 hits. Your winger Archibald who's 6 inches shorter and 36 lbs lighter had 7. Finish your checks.

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785775 is a reply to message #785770 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 08:10

No freaking doubt man. Oilers don't have anymore league MVP's and scoring champs to try to wake Nuge up. It's OK to touch someone Nuge. Get in the game more.

For the game. Need to bring more traffic to the net. Start the game off with a lot of intensity. Take it to the Jets. Their defense isn't that good, go after them, make them have to haul you down. Every 3rd and 4th liner, finish your checks. McLeod, I like your skill and speed but you are big boy, it's OK to touch someone. Khaira, 4th line centers need more than 2 hits. Your winger Archibald who's 6 inches shorter and 36 lbs lighter had 7. Finish your checks.

Centers will generally have less hits than wingers. Khaira can't lead the forecheck in as much if he's being defensively responsible. If he was peeling off checks, I'd agree with you, but I didn't see him doing that.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785778 is a reply to message #785775 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 09:06

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 08:10

Centers will generally have less hits than wingers. Khaira can't lead the forecheck in as much if he's being defensively responsible. If he was peeling off checks, I'd agree with you, but I didn't see him doing that.

I agree, wingers generally get more opportunity. Lowry who's a damn good 3rd line center had 7 hits, Lewis who played under 10 mins had 3. So they didn't do their jobs then?

I am not expecting Khaira to lead the team in hits but I expect the Oilers 3rd and 4th line centers to have more than 3 combined. I view a 3rd and 4th lines job as to get the puck deep in the zone, don't give up a ton defensively, chip in the odd goal, go hard in the on the forecheck and try to keep the puck in the other teams end by grinding down the opposition. I am not looking for Khaira to run around looking to blow up guys in a hit. But unless the center never leaves the middle of the ice which I don't see how that's possible if they are doing their jobs, if you are forechecking hard, going into the corners to grind it out and battle hard like pretty much every 3rd and 4th line is supposed to do, I don't know how you don't get a few hits. The current scoring champ and probable MVP and Lindsay winner McD had 3 hits.

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785774 is a reply to message #785768 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I actually thought he'd scored on the one play last game. Hellebucyk made a huge save on him. That goes in, and no one is calling him a missing person. Like most of the rest, I didn't think he was bad last game, just unlucky. Hopefully he can chip in tonight.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785781 is a reply to message #785774 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 09:04

I actually thought he'd scored on the one play last game. Hellebucyk made a huge save on him. That goes in, and no one is calling him a missing person. Like most of the rest, I didn't think he was bad last game, just unlucky. Hopefully he can chip in tonight.

I think I know which one you’re referring to and I’ll add that that play is what makes me lower on Nuge than a lot of people in this market.

Maybe I notice it more because I’m looking for it... but!! More often than not, it seems he takes that extra second or two to dust off the puck before attempting a shot.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785784 is a reply to message #785781 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 11:33

Adam wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 09:04

I think I know which one you’re referring to and I’ll add that that play is what makes me lower on Nuge than a lot of people in this market.

Maybe I notice it more because I’m looking for it... but!! More often than not, it seems he takes that extra second or two to dust off the puck before attempting a shot.

The play where he's backing up? Yeah, snap that shot immediately. I have very little issue with Nuge's game 1, I watched him in particular and go ahead, review the game, he was intercepting pucks, coming out of 50/50's with the puck, involved heavily with keeping possession alive in the offensive zone for his line. I want more quick releases from Nuge the moment he gets the puck, I've always wanted that from him. If I'm being honest though, I'm not getting the criticism arising from game 1.

Your second best 'driver/uplifter of play/players' is a damn center, why isn't he playing center? We'll see how game 2 goes, hopefully giving Wpg your 2 best centers, your 2 best drivers of play, uplifters of other players on one line so Wpg doesn't have to spread out their clutch and grab deployment too much will work out for Edmonton. If the refs call penalties, the strategy of 'loading up' might work. If they don't, we might see a similar result to game 1. I want Edmonton to approach Wpg's best players the same way Wpg approached Edmonton's best in game 1, force both Wpg and the refs to change their strategy.

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785771 is a reply to message #785763 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

My playoff jitters are gone, so it's reasonable to assume the Oilers are winning this one tonight.

icon_wink

LFG!!!!

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785782 is a reply to message #785763 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Sounds like Ehlers and Dubois are back in.. Oilers (Archibald, Kassian.. + ????) need to take healthy runs at both to test their resolve.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785783 is a reply to message #785763 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Same lineup as game 1, per Tipp

Kahun-McDavid-Puljujärvi
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Archibald-Khaira-Chiasson
Neal-McLeod-Kassian

Nurse-Barrie
Kulikov-Larsson
Koekkoek-Bear

Smith

Jets side, nothing official but Ehlers and Dubois took skate in regular jerseys.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785785 is a reply to message #785783 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I'd be demanding my players to take healthy runs at Ehlers and Dubios early and often. There own teammates were literally not allowed to touch them 2 days ago in a morning skate. I don't see how they go from don't get close to them to completely healthy and fully ready for contact in 2 days.

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785790 is a reply to message #785785 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 10:53

I'd be demanding my players to take healthy runs at Ehlers and Dubios early and often. There own teammates were literally not allowed to touch them 2 days ago in a morning skate. I don't see how they go from don't get close to them to completely healthy and fully ready for contact in 2 days.

Exactly.. make them hear footsteps.. all game.
You can add Pionk and a few others to that list..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785799 is a reply to message #785790 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 12:12

Hopefully the coaching staff has more sense than this.
The Oilers arent built for heavy hockey. They didnt get to the playoffs on heavy hockey.

If they try to do this now it will lead to a loss, damn near guaranteed. Play physical sure, but if they start trying to target players they are;
1. Likely to take penalties, 2. not going to score many goals 3. get scored on first and be playing from behind all the time.
All of this equals heading to WPG down 2-0

The Oilers advantage over teams is speed. Why would they try to slow the game down with a physical style that doesnt suit them? The myth that you have to increase hits and play more physical if you want a cup is BS.
Play is tighter and gets more physical but there is a difference between forechecking a little harder or playing your man a little tighter and running guys.

Lastly, if the Oilers start that kind of style they dont have the horses to back it up. If this turns into a scrappy, piles of scrums, push and shove series the Oilers are double screwed.
The team isnt tough and trying to pretend they are would be a sign of panic. They are the more skilled team, they should be controlling the flow and pace of the game and have the Jets holding on and trying to keep up.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785800 is a reply to message #785799 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 12:51

The Oilers arent built for heavy hockey. They didnt get to the playoffs on heavy hockey.

If they try to do this now it will lead to a loss, damn near guaranteed. Play physical sure, but if they start trying to target players they are;
1. Likely to take penalties, 2. not going to score many goals 3. get scored on first and be playing from behind all the time.

The Oilers advantage over teams is speed. Why would they try to slow the game down with a physical style that doesnt suit them? The myth that you have to increase hits and play more physical if you want a cup is BS.
Play is tighter and gets more physical but there is a difference between forechecking a little harder or playing your man a little tighter and running guys.

Lastly, if the Oilers start that kind of style they dont have the horses to back it up. If this turns into a scrappy, piles of scrums, push and shove series the Oilers are double screwed.
The team isnt tough and trying to pretend they are would be a sign of panic. They are the more skilled team, they should be controlling the flow and pace of the game and have the Jets holding on and trying to keep up.

All they have to do is finish checks, like Archibald, reduce Wpg's time to think, cause errors, Dubois isn't 100%, test his resolve to compete through injury.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785811 is a reply to message #785800 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 14:05

All they have to do is finish checks, like Archibald, reduce Wpg's time to think, cause errors, Dubois isn't 100%, test his resolve to compete through injury.

That I am ok with. Asking people to finish checks should be part of being a hockey player for many guys. Some just arent the type and are what they are but for most guys that is just proper hockey.
My issue is with people implying that crash and bang hockey should be the new team identity and it just isnt going to happen.

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785831 is a reply to message #785811 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 15:32

That I am ok with. Asking people to finish checks should be part of being a hockey player for many guys. Some just arent the type and are what they are but for most guys that is just proper hockey.
My issue is with people implying that crash and bang hockey should be the new team identity and it just isnt going to happen.

Every skilled team that wins a Stanley Cup and wades its way though all the BS on the way to hoisting the Cup has to change the way they approach things in the playoffs from a physicality standpoint. Every one of them. Tampa, Washington, Pittsburgh, teams with super high end players that didn't really scare anyone physically during the regular season.

Edmonton will as well, if they want to go deep. If they do, they change the way Wpg has to play, and maybe the way the refs manage the game. If special teams come into play and it's distributed fairly, advantage Edmonton.

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785837 is a reply to message #785831 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 17:21

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 15:32

Every skilled team that wins a Stanley Cup and wades its way though all the BS on the way to hoisting the Cup has to change the way they approach things in the playoffs from a physicality standpoint. Every one of them. Tampa, Washington, Pittsburgh, teams with super high end players that didn't really scare anyone physically during the regular season.

Edmonton will as well, if they want to go deep. If they do, they change the way Wpg has to play, and maybe the way the refs manage the game. If special teams come into play and it's distributed fairly, advantage Edmonton.

I am not saying you need to play non-contact hockey.
I said this "Asking people to finish checks should be part of being a hockey player for many guys." in my last post.

This mentality I was disagreeing with is that we become a physical first team. A rough, tough incarnation of team that wasnt built for it.
I could go back through a bunch of posts, tweets etc and find a lot that say something simiiar but here are a couple;
"I'd be demanding my players to take healthy runs at Ehlers and Dubios early and often."
Demanding runs at players isnt upping the physicality. It is brute hockey. Added bonus, do it at two players that are good but not likely to be game changers overall

"Exactly.. make them hear footsteps.. all game.
You can add Pionk and a few others to that list.."

Sure, double down, run everyone, no problem. Who do we think is going to do that? Kassian has thrown only a handful of decent hits this season. Archibald can bump and for his size is great but he isnt exactly intimidating anyone. Nurse, larsson, bear, any D? Sure some might connect but more likely they run themselves out of the play and allow a two on one. This group is the one that can play tougher, get in the corners, in front of the net, etc, but not taking runs at guys early and often.

That is just from this thread. I am not trying to pick on RDOF and Skook. There are dozens and dozens on twitter and a few more in here looking for runs, blood, footsteps etc. I said earlier the team isnt built for that.
You are right, cup winners usually can turn that on. I dont think the Oilers can which is why the realist in me doesnt expect them to get out of the North.

When I said it earlier, Adam asked, if not for this what is the bottom six built for? Great question, From a matchup, strategy, style of play, I really have no idea what the recipe was they were following but it seems like a bunch of random ingredients with no plan.

Happy about that or not, it is the team we have to cheer for right now. I stand by my statement that they will have a much better chance to win playing high speed, up tempo offence combined with stable low risk defense.

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785802 is a reply to message #785799 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 13:51

Question for you: What WERE the bottom six built for? If it's not checking, it sure ain't scoring. If it's just penalty killing, well, you have to commit an atrocity to get penalized apparently, so not a lot of sense building half your team around that. What exactly DO they excel at!?

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785803 is a reply to message #785802 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 14:18

Question for you: What WERE the bottom six built for? If it's not checking, it sure ain't scoring. If it's just penalty killing, well, you have to commit an atrocity to get penalized apparently, so not a lot of sense building half your team around that. What exactly DO they excel at!?

Grit! Great in the locker room! Jam! Intensity! Character! Good Alberta Boys(tm)! Won A Cup(tm)!

Who knows

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785812 is a reply to message #785802 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 14:18

I think you answered your own question.

Honestly, I have no idea what they were built for. Outside of the skill forward I dont know what the identity of this team is. Most of those guys are good at a few things, bad at others but not great at anything.
I am not sure if it is the McDavid effect but since he joined the team it seems the strategy is just to plug holes with guys who might be good at something. Some of them are lottery tickets that might have some untapped potential to excel at something in a way they never have before.

I am not one that thinks the sky is falling. I still think the Oilers can win in six. I dont think to do that they should be doing much different than game one. Get to the net more is one but for the most part, and by almost any measure (but the scoreboard) they were the better team, especially in the last two periods.

The Oilers are not an elite team which means how they matchup with a team is a big decider in success. The Oilers are faster and more skilled than the Jets, push that tempo and style of game and the Jets will be forced to try and keep up, likely failing.

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785791 is a reply to message #785763 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Ehlers still out. Dubois in.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Copp-Stastny-Dubois
Perreault-Lowry-Appleton
Toninato-Thompson-Lewis

Morrissey-DeMelo
Forbort-Pionk
Stanley-Poolman

Hellebuyck

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785795 is a reply to message #785763 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Here's the thing peeps..

If the Jets do what they did in game one (and they will) where they clutched and grabbed McD and basically nullified his play, the entire roster has no idea what to do. Nullify McDavid and the team folds. The refereeing in the last game was to put the whistles away and have fire burner hockey, do what you can to knock each other out, rules be damned.

You might get some helpers by JP, or maybe Nuge or even Chiasson but it will not win us the game. Bodied in the net, and the team has to play as if McD is not playing on the line. The Oilers ragdolled the Jets when McD wasn't on the ice but failed to generate any serious scoring chances, save from a few lucky shots.

Not enough traffic in front of Hallebuyck, not enough rattling their cages.

Sure carry the play but do something with the puck.

I tell ya, if McD is harassed like last game and the Oilers wait for Connor to do something these playoffs are lost.

This game has me nervous.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785796 is a reply to message #785795 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am not nervous. Stauffer mentioned today in his show the Jets were playing a 1-1-3 with next to no forecheck. Watching the game again, as soon as the Oilers got a hold of the puck in their own zone, the Jets forwards spun around and sprinted back to towards their zone. If the Jets keep up the game they played where they did next to no forecheck and just played defense praying their goalie can almost pitch a shutout, it's going to fail. I know they think Hellebuyck is the best goalie in the league but you can't allow a team to just pepper your goal and have the puck all game in your zone. The Jets didn't generate any offense, the only time they did was in the first when the Oilers had the yips and gave the puck away. They got a lucky goal on the winner as it hit multiple sticks and even the first goal was fortunate. Take the 2 empty netters and they got 20 shots total. So just over 6 shots a period. You can't win like that over a series.

I think the Oilers were nervous to start. My guess is the play in series was the reason because all they have heard is that series. Hell, how many fans after 1 game brought it up? They were the better team, they know it. I don't see the Jets shutting down McD and Leon 2 games in a row. They got a game under them, got the yips out. I know Hellebuyck is a damn good goalie, but I heard the goalie guest on Gregors show who does a ton of goalie stats say the Jets are one of the teams that relies on their goalie the most in the NHL. So you are asking your goalie to damn near be perfect every game. That's not sustainable.

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785798 is a reply to message #785796 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 13:37

I think the Oilers were nervous to start. My guess is the play in series was the reason because all they have heard is that series. Hell, how many fans after 1 game brought it up? They were the better team, they know it. I don't see the Jets shutting down McD and Leon 2 games in a row. They got a game under them, got the yips out. I know Hellebuyck is a damn good goalie, but I heard the goalie guest on Gregors show who does a ton of goalie stats say the Jets are one of the teams that relies on their goalie the most in the NHL. So you are asking your goalie to damn near be perfect every game. That's not sustainable.

Wish I had your confidence RD, maybe I'm drawing too many conclusions using the play in series as the template. Tonight will certainly show what this team is.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785804 is a reply to message #785798 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 13:48

Wish I had your confidence RD, maybe I'm drawing too many conclusions using the play in series as the template. Tonight will certainly show what this team is.

I don't think you are alone. I think a lot of fans are overly nervous and put a lot of stock in that play in series.
Think about this.
Canucks, Flames, Blue Jackets, Stars, Flyers, Coyotes and BlackHawks all made the playoffs last year. I don't mean the play ins, I mean they made the round of 16. I don't think any of those teams were even close this year. We are talking almost 50% of last years playoffs teams not even close this year. So in my opinion, I do not think people should be putting a lot of stock into that play in series. It was a bizarre situation.

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785808 is a reply to message #785804 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 14:24

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 13:48

I don't think you are alone. I think a lot of fans are overly nervous and put a lot of stock in that play in series.
Think about this.
Canucks, Flames, Blue Jackets, Stars, Flyers, Coyotes and BlackHawks all made the playoffs last year. I don't mean the play ins, I mean they made the round of 16. I don't think any of those teams were even close this year. We are talking almost 50% of last years playoffs teams not even close this year. So in my opinion, I do not think people should be putting a lot of stock into that play in series. It was a bizarre situation.

It was a bizarre set of circumstances last year, but that doesn't make it meaningless. As bad as the Black Hawks were last year and this year they still managed to handle the Oilers with relative ease in a playoff series. That's not the end of the world, but it's also not a good sign. Should that happen again, even if there's a good reason for it, the signs start becoming very negative.

That being said, they outplayed Winnipeg in game one and lost by one goal (I don't care about ENs) in the least impactful game of the series. I don't see much value in worrying now.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785797 is a reply to message #785763 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Get your Helly dolls out! :)

https://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcj5v32Q8I1qedb29o1_500.gif

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785807 is a reply to message #785797 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I mentioned it already but looking for Nuge, the longest standing Oiler to step up his game big time. I have heard him say year after year how he wants to win and it's frustrating and needs to be better, etc, etc, etc. Well time to show how much you want it Nuge. As the longest standing Oiler, time for him to stop being in the shadows, stop waiting for someone else to grab the rope, get out of your comfort zone and help lead the charge.

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785814 is a reply to message #785807 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 14:35

I mentioned it already but looking for Nuge, the longest standing Oiler to step up his game big time. I have heard him say year after year how he wants to win and it's frustrating and needs to be better, etc, etc, etc. Well time to show how much you want it Nuge. As the longest standing Oiler, time for him to stop being in the shadows, stop waiting for someone else to grab the rope, get out of your comfort zone and help lead the charge.

Nuge played quite well last game. As always though I respect you staying on brand. As soon as a player is potentially on the way out you slam him regardless of how they play. I cant wait for RNH to re-sign and you jump back on his bandwagon.

RNH had a tough year, extremely inconsistent, but last game he was an effective player.

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785810 is a reply to message #785763 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Got my Puljujarvi jersey boys.

It’s an Oscargasm Guaranteed Win Night.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785813 is a reply to message #785810 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 15:06

Nice. I have been looking for one around here but, as you can imagine, even harder to find in Regina than your neck of the woods.

I am fine being number 2 in the Puljujarvi fan club behind you. I mentioned in a previous post I thought he was the best Oiler last game.
My contemplated name change to something JP related may come if he keeps that up and the Oilers have playoff success.

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785823 is a reply to message #785813 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 15:39

Nice. I have been looking for one around here but, as you can imagine, even harder to find in Regina than your neck of the woods.

I am fine being number 2 in the Puljujarvi fan club behind you. I mentioned in a previous post I thought he was the best Oiler last game.
My contemplated name change to something JP related may come if he keeps that up and the Oilers have playoff success.

You’re the 1B to my 1A in the Oilfans JP fan club.

It was a tough find for sure. United Cycle has an XS and 3XL, Sports Closet in St AB had a M and well that’s all they have now haha.

Get home, wearing it, naturally, and my daughter runs up saying “daddy, daddy you found your Pull-RV jersey!”

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785825 is a reply to message #785823 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 16:32

It was a tough find for sure. United Cycle has an XS and 3XL, Sports Closet in St AB had a M and well that’s all they have now haha.

Get home, wearing it, naturally, and my daughter runs up saying “daddy, daddy you found your Pull-RV jersey!”

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/47/cc/fa/47ccfaf4e1217d318b47ab44370c2469.jpg

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785827 is a reply to message #785825 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 16:53

Hahahahaha! That pic is incredible.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785832 is a reply to message #785825 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 21 May 2021 16:53

LOL wish to hell that combo would work, eh? 45 mpg and the ponies to pull the 5th wheel! Little uncomfortable to get in and out of though....

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785816 is a reply to message #785763 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Oilers vs the 2003 Devils tonight. They will collapse in front of their goal, so need to change the angles on shots to get through. Enough with shots into the shinpads.

Re: Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #785836 is a reply to message #785763 ]
Fri, 21 May 2021 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

Pretty nervous tonight boys. Need the dub

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Tomorrow will be a good day. Oh yes.
Next Topic:Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca