This day on January 24
Acquired: Mark Napier (1985)
Departed: Terry Martin (1985) Gord Sherven (1985)

Happy Birthday To: ProzzakOil, Never Forget Mac #25, wylie99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT)Pages (16): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787490 is a reply to message #787489 ]
Wed, 09 June 2021 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 09 June 2021 20:33

We can now conclude

Eberle > Hall >>> Nuge

We f'd up!

And of course Pageau is better than all these bums combined ;)

In the end Spooner will be the greatest of them all

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787491 is a reply to message #785046 ]
Wed, 09 June 2021 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

So are we're drafting 19th overall now?

[Updated on: Wed, 09 June 2021 21:03]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787495 is a reply to message #787491 ]
Wed, 09 June 2021 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 09 June 2021 20:59

So are we're drafting 19th overall now?

Yup - moved up two spots thanks to Habs and Isles out-performing expectations!

Draft order is:

1. Sabres
2. Kraken
3. Ducks
4. Devils
5. Blue Jackets
6. Red Wings
7. Sharks
8. Kings
9. Canucks
10. Senators
11. Blackhawks
12. Flames
13. Flyers
14. Stars
15. Rangers
16. Blues
17. Jets
18. Predators
19. Oilers
20. Wild
21. Red Wings (from Capitals)
22. Panthers
23. Golden Knights or Blue Jackets (from Maple Leafs)
24. Blue Jackets (from Maple Leafs) or Wild (from Penguins)
25. Wild (from Penguins) or Hurricanes
26. Hurricanes or Bruins
27. Bruins or Avalanche

The last four spots are still in play with any of the five teams able to be in any spot other than Canadiens can't be 29th and Avalanche can't be 28th. Of course, the Coyotes forfeited their pick, so first round is only 31 deep.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 June 2021 22:13]

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787503 is a reply to message #787495 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

"THE ANSWER" does it again. I was a little worried after the first series he wouldn't be able to do it. 5 games against the Caps, 2 goals, 3 pts, +1. But he buttoned down his game, stepped it up and he did it! He helped bring another team DOWN!! 6 games against the Isles, 1 goal, 2 pts, -3.

HALLSY!!!

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787504 is a reply to message #787503 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 08:31

"THE ANSWER" does it again. I was a little worried after the first series he wouldn't be able to do it. 5 games against the Caps, 2 goals, 3 pts, +1. But he buttoned down his game, stepped it up and he did it! He helped bring another team DOWN!! 6 games against the Isles, 1 goal, 2 pts, -3.

HALLSY!!!

Don't forget he had a fight! He seemed to disappear in the series after that fight though.

Wonder if there is still a mutual desire for him to stick around in Boston. Something off with that roster. Vets getting old. D isn't that good anymore. Rask wasn't up to his old standards either.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787505 is a reply to message #787504 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 08:47

HALLSY!!!

Don't forget he had a fight! He seemed to disappear in the series after that fight though.

Wonder if there is still a mutual desire for him to stick around in Boston. Something off with that roster. Vets getting old. D isn't that good anymore. Rask wasn't up to his old standards either.

I was being a little sarcastic but I do agree with you about the roster. I heard I think it was Ferraro yesterday talking about their defense not being that good and when I look at their guys, there is a lot of mediocre guys there. Your point is very valid about age. Their best guys are getting up there.
Krejci - 35
Burgeron - Turning 36
Marchand - 33.
Pasternak is the only guy who's mid 20's.

But center wise, those are their 2 main centers and they are both in the latter years of their careers.

Coyle 29
Hall if he resigned will be 30 in Nov.

It's kind of weird that the coach doesn't like Debrusk. He's one of the few guys they have that can probably be a top 6 guy that isn't almost 30 or over 30 and he wants him gone.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787510 is a reply to message #787505 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 09:15

HALLSY!!!

I was being a little sarcastic but I do agree with you about the roster. I heard I think it was Ferraro yesterday talking about their defense not being that good and when I look at their guys, there is a lot of mediocre guys there. Your point is very valid about age. Their best guys are getting up there.
Krejci - 35
Burgeron - Turning 36
Marchand - 33.

But center wise, those are their 2 main centers and they are both in the latter years of their careers.

Coyle 29

It's kind of weird that the coach doesn't like Debrusk. He's one of the few guys they have that can probably be a top 6 guy that isn't almost 30 or over 30 and he wants him gone.

Matheson was lusting after DeBrusk this week. Nothing Old Jim loves better than bloodlines, especially of people he's kind of friendly with.

Bruins are starting to see that window fade. Some really good players, but the depth isn't great right now, and we know how important that is. Of course, if they're able to get a really good young defenceman for DeBrusk, maybe they can turn that around for another couple years...paging Ken Hollland!!!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787514 is a reply to message #787510 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 10:02

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 09:15

HALLSY!!!

Krejci - 35
Burgeron - Turning 36
Marchand - 33.

Coyle 29

Matheson was lusting after DeBrusk this week. Nothing Old Jim loves better than bloodlines, especially of people he's kind of friendly with.

Bruins are starting to see that window fade. Some really good players, but the depth isn't great right now, and we know how important that is. Of course, if they're able to get a really good young defenceman for DeBrusk, maybe they can turn that around for another couple years...paging Ken Hollland!!!

So I am guessing you would be upset if somehow the Oilers traded for Debrusk because his dad played some for the Oilers decades ago?

I don't really give a damn about a guys last name. I want guys who can play. I am seeing a young, skilled, offensively talented forward who can skate really well, seems to play with a little bite to his game and who scored 27 goals 2 years ago, on pace for 24 last year. He's played on a vet team so he should know how to play in the NHL, for a young guys he has lots of playoff experience at 59 games. At not even 25 yet, he's just starting to go into his prime years so his best years are most likely to come. He's signed for next year and he would be an RFA so you'd have control. Local kid so that's good/bad. For whatever reason, he had an off year. He seems to not be the coaches fav to the point he made him into a whipping boy. I do wonder if his off year is because of his coach not liking him. With a vet team having their window about to slam shut and he not being the coaches fav, I see the Bruins management making a dumb move and trading away a guy they should be keeping in a misguided attempt to try and keep their old team in the fight.

I am not seeing a ton of negative here and the potential to bring in a talented young player for less than maybe he should be worth. They had Kahun on the left said for most of the year with McD or Leon. I don't watch a lot of Bruins games but looking at what he brings, scouting reports and what he does supposedly well, I am seeing one hell of a potential upgrade here getting a guy who's age would fit perfectly in with the main guys of the team. Seems to me that if his last name was something else, most would be thrilled but because it's an old Oiler, all of a sudden he's off limits.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787527 is a reply to message #787514 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 14:01

Seems to me that if his last name was something else, most would be thrilled but because it's an old Oiler, all of a sudden he's off limits.

I don't need to speak for Adam as he has no problem doing that on his own, but the fear I think a lot of us would have would be overpaying because of his last name.

Personally I was surprised this year when I heard Bruins fans wanted him gone. If the price is right, I would absolutely be ok bringing him in. Seems like a massive bounceback candidate, especially if he can hold his own with one of our top 2 Cs.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787530 is a reply to message #787527 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24 is currently online K.McC#24

5 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 11:30

Seems to me that if his last name was something else, most would be thrilled but because it's an old Oiler, all of a sudden he's off limits.

I don't need to speak for Adam as he has no problem doing that on his own, but the fear I think a lot of us would have would be overpaying because of his last name.

Personally I was surprised this year when I heard Bruins fans wanted him gone. If the price is right, I would absolutely be ok bringing him in. Seems like a massive bounceback candidate, especially if he can hold his own with one of our top 2 Cs.

Hope so if he ends up here, but we've not seen anyone who is a lock to produce with Connor outside of 29, and we've seen players produce with 29. Its weird. I think you have to have the right player there with Connor, but hard to put the finger on who that is for sure.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787542 is a reply to message #787530 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 11:36

Hope so if he ends up here, but we've not seen anyone who is a lock to produce with Connor outside of 29, and we've seen players produce with 29. Its weird. I think you have to have the right player there with Connor, but hard to put the finger on who that is for sure.

I don't think it's that hard. Ty Rattie produced well with McDavid. Patrick Maroon produced with McDavid. Nail Yakupov had some of his career best numbers in minimal time with McDavid. He's produced with most everyone who's got a little scoring talent - other than Nugent-Hopkins this year. That is an anomaly I think too...historically I believe they didn't struggle to produce together as much.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787551 is a reply to message #787542 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 11:55

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 11:36

I don't think it's that hard. Ty Rattie produced well with McDavid. Patrick Maroon produced with McDavid. Nail Yakupov had some of his career best numbers in minimal time with McDavid. He's produced with most everyone who's got a little scoring talent - other than Nugent-Hopkins this year. That is an anomaly I think too...historically I believe they didn't struggle to produce together as much.

Yeah, minimal time, some short term players there, and I'd argue none of those produced at sustainable levels with McDavid, plus coaches are always hunting and just messing with his top 6 so we never found out. Was Patty Maroon going to keep a 15-20% S% he experienced as a finisher with cy young like numbers?. The goal should be sustainability plus a coach changing his mindset to let it be for awhile. I'm just saying so far we've only seen one big producer with 97 but he happens to be the 2nd best center, and the player that will totally sync with Connor is rare, so far. It's going to take the right combination, like it did with the DRY line that Tip just can't seem to return to.

Someone has to find a home there. I'd like to see some creativity there as well along with just going to the net and waiting for delivery of the puck, but Connor has the puck a lot, and so much happens off the rush, so....confused2

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787541 is a reply to message #787527 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

This.

I'm not at all averse to bringing in Jake DeBrusk. There's a price at which I think it makes sense. I could definitely see the Oilers overpaying for him though. Sending a decent right-shot defencemen to the Bruins, for example, would be a crazy high price for a winger in the coach's doghouse.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787552 is a reply to message #787541 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 10:52

This.

I'm not at all averse to bringing in Jake DeBrusk. There's a price at which I think it makes sense. I could definitely see the Oilers overpaying for him though. Sending a decent right-shot defencemen to the Bruins, for example, would be a crazy high price for a winger in the coach's doghouse.

What if they retained $ back on that deal? I agree Debrusk isn't worth his qualifying offer, over $3.675, and he didn't look good this year, haven't followed him enough to know what happened this year, was solid 3 previous seasons, however his current speed and quickness don't seem to align with what I'd ideally want as a requirement for an Oiler top 6 LW though..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787562 is a reply to message #787552 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 14:08

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 10:52

This.

What if they retained $ back on that deal? I agree Debrusk isn't worth his qualifying offer, over $3.675, and he didn't look good this year, haven't followed him enough to know what happened this year, was solid 3 previous seasons, however his current speed and quickness don't seem to align with what I'd ideally want as a requirement for an Oiler top 6 LW though..

Any deal where we give up Bear and get Debrusk as the centrepiece back is a bad deal, even if Boston eats salary. It's just a total mismatch there in what you're getting. I mean, one is a winger, the other a defenceman and they're both coming off 14 point campaigns...

A good young right shot defenceman who has upside potential and will sell you a lot of jerseys has a lot more value than a winger in the doghouse - even at a reduced salary.

Maybe if the Bruins kick in a really high end prospect too...but even then, I'm probably not making that deal. We just don't have a surplus of RHD that could replace Bear's contributions. I think the hole we'd blow in the lineup would be bigger than the one we patched (imperfectly patched, as you point out).

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787561 is a reply to message #787527 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Just my opinion but I do not think Adam having a problem with Debrusk has anything to do but his last name. Swap his last name for whatever you want it it to be and he'd think getting him would be a great idea.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787563 is a reply to message #787561 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 14:47

Just my opinion but I do not think Adam having a problem with Debrusk has anything to do but his last name. Swap his last name for whatever you want it it to be and he'd think getting him would be a great idea.

icon_rolleyes icon_rolleyes icon_rolleyes

Maybe stick to your own opinion on hockey players and stop trying to guess mine. You're not showing yourself to be very prescient.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787518 is a reply to message #785046 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dougie Hamilton quote after the loss: "We lost to a team 18m over the cap"

hehehe. Kinda nice knowing players are not blind to it.

I really hope the Islanders can take Tampa down.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787524 is a reply to message #787518 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 11:17

I am glad he said something because it's a freaking joke. It's not there are a bunch of teams close, they are 8 mill clear of the Blues. What's worse is over half that 18 mill over is playing and leading the league in playoff scoring.

It's cheating in my opinion and the NHL is allowing it to happen.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787550 is a reply to message #787518 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 10:17

Good on Hamilton. The rights holder media are all castrated, don't say a word about the $99M elephant skating up and down the rink.

I was ambivalent to TB or Carolina winning, but now want TB out by anyone else.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787564 is a reply to message #785046 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jason Gregor @JasonGregor
"The one thing I really respect about Barry (Trotz) is he makes everyone feel important whether you are on the first or fourth line, and to be honest we don't really have a first or fourth line. We roll lines and whatever the situation of the game is he goes with it." Eberle #NYI

I know we have lots of bad players and this isn't only on Tippett, but boy do we not have that at all here :) It's like 4 guys and poop that Tippett wishes he never had to play, as was on full display in our last OT game.

Barzal and Ebs only played around 10 mins in their clincher last night. In what universe could the Oilers win a playoff game playing McDrai 10 minutes haha.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787565 is a reply to message #787564 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 14:02

"The one thing I really respect about Barry (Trotz) is he makes everyone feel important whether you are on the first or fourth line, and to be honest we don't really have a first or fourth line. We roll lines and whatever the situation of the game is he goes with it." Eberle #NYI

I know we have lots of bad players and this isn't only on Tippett, but boy do we not have that at all here :) It's like 4 guys and poop that Tippett wishes he never had to play, as was on full display in our last OT game.

Barzal and Ebs only played around 10 mins in their clincher last night. In what universe could the Oilers win a playoff game playing McDrai 10 minutes haha.

To be fair Trotz doesn't have a McD or LD otherwise I'm pretty sure he'd be doing the something similar, he's also got a much, much higher end 3rd and 4th line skill level to "roll".

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787567 is a reply to message #787565 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 15:25

To be fair Trotz doesn't have a McD or LD otherwise I'm pretty sure he'd be doing the something similar, he's also got a much, much higher end 3rd and 4th line skill level to "roll".

Agree for sure. Islanders are a far far more balanced team. I think Trotz would be very challenged in Edmonton to try to create a similar team dynamic where all guys feel like they are trusted.

I still really hated Tippett's approach this season. He completely threw the towel in on trying to find balance in our lineup with around half the season left to go. Then did a little try in game 1, and tossed that out the window from game 2 on as well. And it hit a whole new level by the end of the playoffs. 75% of our lineup got to sit there feeling like worthless plugs in OT until the season was finally over.

I think this year may be the worst we've had since McDavid joined the team in terms of the coach creating a barrier between players he clearly felt were worthless and guys he depended on 100% for the wins. And the results match that. Worst performance by our team since McDavid joined the team when he was off the ice. We were not really a team this year. We were 1 line wrecking opponents, and 3/4 of the lineup getting scored on 2 goals for every 1 they scored and the coach making it clear how he didn't trust that part of the lineup, always trying to figure out ways how to play them as little as possible.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 June 2021 15:36]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787576 is a reply to message #787567 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 15:32

Agree for sure. Islanders are a far far more balanced team. I think Trotz would be very challenged in Edmonton to try to create a similar team dynamic where all guys feel like they are trusted.

I still really hated Tippett's approach this season. He completely threw the towel in on trying to find balance in our lineup with around half the season left to go. Then did a little try in game 1, and tossed that out the window from game 2 on as well. And it hit a whole new level by the end of the playoffs. 75% of our lineup got to sit there feeling like worthless plugs in OT until the season was finally over.

I think this year may be the worst we've had since McDavid joined the team in terms of the coach creating a barrier between players he clearly felt were worthless and guys he depended on 100% for the wins. And the results match that. Worst performance by our team since McDavid joined the team when he was off the ice. We were not really a team this year. We were 1 line wrecking opponents, and 3/4 of the lineup getting scored on 2 goals for every 1 they scored and the coach making it clear how he didn't trust that part of the lineup, always trying to figure out ways how to play them as little as possible.

I know the standard answer that will come my way is "Better GM's". Well the Oilers have a player in McD who's incredible BUT he makes 12.5 mill. The Islanders highest paid guy is Lee and Barzal at 7.
What the Oilers are paying to McD, the Islanders are paying their entire "2nd line" - Beauvillier - Nelson - Eberle makes 13.6 mill. Big help and why in my opinion they have more depth.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787578 is a reply to message #787576 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 16:20

I know the standard answer that will come my way is "Better GM's". Well the Oilers have a player in McD who's incredible BUT he makes 12.5 mill. The Islanders highest paid guy is Lee and Barzal at 7.
What the Oilers are paying to McD, the Islanders are paying their entire "2nd line" - Beauvillier - Nelson - Eberle makes 13.6 mill. Big help and why in my opinion they have more depth.

Benson/McLeod/Marody was the best line in the AHL this year. Do you think maybe they could have done more as the fourth line for the Oilers than the various drudges we threw out all season long?

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787580 is a reply to message #787578 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 16:25

Benson/McLeod/Marody was the best line in the AHL this year. Do you think maybe they could have done more as the fourth line for the Oilers than the various drudges we threw out all season long?

I'll give a slight pass on that because of the covid situation. BUT 30 games into the season when it became apparent the 3rd and 4th lines were absolutely not meeting expectations, I would have been awfully tempted to submarine Bakersfield's season. It's not like it would have hurt attendance down there.

This is fine.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787582 is a reply to message #787580 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 16:28

I'll give a slight pass on that because of the covid situation. BUT 30 games into the season when it became apparent the 3rd and 4th lines were absolutely not meeting expectations, I would have been awfully tempted to submarine Bakersfield's season. It's not like it would have hurt attendance down there.

I think the Oilers are still one of the only teams in the league who still think you have guys that you can ONLY bring up to be first or second line players. Their idiot media buddies will parrot that line too "you're not bringing that guy up to be a checker on the fourth line!". I think that for the Oilers to call all those guys up would have required injuries to the top six guys. It doesn't even occur to them that a good AHL first line could be the fourth line.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787585 is a reply to message #787578 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I don't have a clue. Never seen them play together recently.

Last time I saw Marody play was the 18-19 season where he got 6 NHL games. That year he was a dominate AHL guy with 64 pts in 58 games but in the NHL it looked like he was 2 steps behind everyone.

Last time I saw Benson play was the 19-20 season where he got 7 NHL games and he looked slow and not ready. At the AHL, he's a dominate player.

So I have no clue if they can play in the NHL. A guy who knows as much about the NHL as you apparently do should know that dominating in the AHL can mean jack freaking squat when it comes to the NHL. It gives you better odds they can play but many a really good AHLer has done little to nothing in the NHL. There are some really, really dominate AHL players who tear up the KHL year after year.

McLeod with his skating ability I have more hope for.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787586 is a reply to message #787585 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 16:47

Last time I saw Marody play was the 18-19 season where he got 6 NHL games. That year he was a dominate AHL guy with 64 pts in 58 games but in the NHL it looked like he was 2 steps behind everyone.

Last time I saw Benson play was the 19-20 season where he got 7 NHL games and he looked slow and not ready. At the AHL, he's a dominate player.

So I have no clue if they can play in the NHL. A guy who knows as much about the NHL as you apparently do should know that dominating in the AHL can mean jack freaking squat when it comes to the NHL. It gives you better odds they can play but many a really good AHLer has done little to nothing in the NHL. There are some really, really dominate AHL players who tear up the KHL year after year.

When you're icing one of the worst Bottom 6s in history, maybe you start thinking out of the box.

Or if you're the Oilers, you just mix in Patrick Russell every so often instead.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787592 is a reply to message #787586 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 16:51

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 16:47

When you're icing one of the worst Bottom 6s in history, maybe you start thinking out of the box.

Or if you're the Oilers, you just mix in Patrick Russell every so often instead.

Management of the taxi squad was pretty suspect at times. If you have guys there that the coach doesn't trust to be a lineup option you have to ask if they're young why they're not getting game development elsewhere (Bouchard) or if they're next to useless (Russell, Nygard, Turris), why they're there at all. What would it hurt to have seen some turnover on the TS? They didn't spend much on Kahun, but there were points where he shouldn't have dressed. I'm probably most angry about Bouchard's wasted season of real game development...that guy is highly likely a big cog down the road, and this year's development was a joke.....he had to be playing, if he wasn't getting 20 or 25 games here at minimum, he shouldn't have been here.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787587 is a reply to message #787578 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

we may finally get an answer to the Benson vs. DeBrincat debate!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787591 is a reply to message #785046 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Game notes, Avs vs LVGK

Saad is done, used to be fast, he labours out there.. pass as UFA

Nemeth on D.. no thanks pass, bog and slow.. pass as UFA.

Landeskog not as good as he used to be, dangerous UFA signing.

Oh, and small defensemen will not work in the playoffs, Girard got caved all series.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 June 2021 21:40]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787593 is a reply to message #785046 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Avs D can't handle Vegas. Girard looks like a little weak midget out there.

Nate the Great did show up though. Couple assists off 3 second rushes through the neutral zone. Vegas was a little sloppier defensively in this one. Might not matter.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787597 is a reply to message #787593 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 22:28

Avs D can't handle Vegas. Girard looks like a little weak midget out there.

Nate the Great did show up though. Couple assists off 3 second rushes through the neutral zone. Vegas was a little sloppier defensively in this one. Might not matter.

Yeah I'm not sure why ppl are so gung ho about the "puck movers" Colorado has on defence (outside of Makar of course). When you have three deep scoring lines, of course it'll be easier for average pylons to inflate their numbers via secondary assists in transition. Grubauer is likely not the goalie if wanting to contend for the cup either.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787594 is a reply to message #785046 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

6 Cups

So, looks like the Habs travel to Vegas for the Cup semi-final. While I'm sure that VGK will make their 2nd trip to the Finals since their entry into the league, I'm even more sure that this series will be a complete slog.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787596 is a reply to message #785046 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Guess I'm an islanders fan. Other 3 teams can go to hell.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787598 is a reply to message #787596 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 20:46

With you there pal.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787599 is a reply to message #787598 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 21:52

With you there pal.

Why are we down on Vegas?

This is fine.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787600 is a reply to message #787599 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 21:55

With you there pal.

I just really enjoy their fan base getting everything so easy but still finishing every year disappointed.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787601 is a reply to message #787600 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 21:56

With you there pal.

I just really enjoy their fan base getting everything so easy but still finishing every year disappointed.

Ah. Fair enough. They gotta learn to earn it.

I’m still kind of pro-TB because of 2004. I don’t want them to win because their fans are annoying me with the stupid thunder sticks during games. It’s almost as bad as South African vuvuzelas and when the Anaheim Angels were briefly good.

This is fine.

Re: 2021 Playoffs Thread (OOT) [message #787602 is a reply to message #787601 ]
Thu, 10 June 2021 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 21:59

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 10 June 2021 21:56

With you there pal.

Ah. Fair enough. They gotta learn to earn it.

I’m still kind of pro-TB because of 2004. I don’t want them to win because their fans are annoying me with the stupid thunder sticks during games. It’s almost as bad as South African vuvuzelas and when the Anaheim Angels were briefly good.

Tampa's out for me cause of the LTIR crap. Maybe I'm just jealous that our team doesn't have the balls to try to take advantage of any rule. And Montreal, don't want to see any other team in Canada win it.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Pages (16): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  >  »]  
Previous Topic:NHL Pre-Season Schedule Begins September 25
Next Topic:Advertising Patches Coming to Jerseys
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca